Bummer for Boneyarders | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Bummer for Boneyarders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I was thinking about this thread just now while kayaking around Lake Atitlan, and something occurred to me that I don't think anyone has quite mentioned yet. When we watch a Huskies season unfold, we are, of course, watching individual games, most of them blowouts, some (maybe) closer. And watching the individual games is certainly enjoyable. But we are also watching something else; we are watching a master craftsman build a machine out of a number of individual parts. He shops for the best parts he can find, then carefully examines each part and evaluates how it will best fit into the machine. Then he mills and polishes it towards the shape he wants it to have so as to best fit into the machine. Some of the parts just need fine polishing, some need a lot of grinding. Some have to be hammered. A few can never be made to fit at all. Even he can't tell for sure when he first starts working on a part exactly how, or even whether, it will ultimately fit into the machine. And the design of the machine itself is fluid, and changes as individual parts prove too good or not good enough or just not really suited for their originally intended purpose, but maybe excellent for some other purpose. (I won't cite any examples, because every Husky fan can think of his or her own.) Occasionally a part breaks (BB's knee) and then the over-all design has to be changed and all the other parts have to be re-fitted to the new design. Sometimes the damn machine just won't run right, for no apparent reason. (First half of Stanford NC game?!) But when it is hitting on all cylinders, what a joy to watch!

As with any artist, not all products are masterpieces; some are merely good. But watching the original proto-machine, with all its rough edges, gradually start to run smoother and smoother until maybe it ends up being something like the masterpiece we saw back in March, is a great part, I think, of the pleasure of being a Husky fan. Of course, all coaches try to do this, and some are quite good at it, but Geno is the true master craftsman and it is a real privilege to watch his products develop into their final form.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I have taken a vacation day. I will be there.
Good for you---- I wanted so bad to organize a road trip there. But between fly fishing from April- Oct, season tickets, Maggie Dixon, Tmts, and my first Final Four this year- My wife put the brakes on me- I can't blame her. I would have done a road trip to MD game on Friday and then to Happy Valley for Sunday! You will have to give us detailed report about the feeling or mood at the field house at the game, etc..

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Great fly fishing in PA. Joe Humphries would tell you so.

Last edited:

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
I was thinking about this thread just now while kayaking around Lake Atitlan, and something occurred to me that I don't think anyone has quite mentioned yet. When we watch a Huskies season unfold, we are, of course, watching individual games, most of them blowouts, some (maybe) closer. And watching the individual games is certainly enjoyable. But we are also watching something else; we are watching a master craftsman build a machine out of a number of individual parts. He shops for the best parts he can find, then carefully examines each part and evaluates how it will best fit into the machine. Then he mills and polishes it towards the shape he wants it to have so as to best fit into the machine. Some of the parts just need fine polishing, some need a lot of grinding. Some have to be hammered. A few can never be made to fit at all. Even he can't tell for sure when he first starts working on a part exactly how, or even whether, it will ultimately fit into the machine. And the design of the machine itself is fluid, and changes as individual parts prove too good or not good enough or just not really suited for their originally intended purpose, but maybe excellent for some other purpose. (I won't cite any examples, because every Husky fan can think of his or her own.) Occasionally a part breaks (BB's knee) and then the over-all design has to be changed and all the other parts have to be re-fitted to the new design. Sometimes the damn machine just won't run right, for no apparent reason. (First half of Stanford NC game?!) But when it is hitting on all cylinders, what a joy to watch!

As with any artist, not all products are masterpieces; some are merely good. But watching the original proto-machine, with all its rough edges, gradually start to run smoother and smoother until maybe it ends up being something like the masterpiece we saw back in March, is a great part, I think, of the pleasure of being a Husky fan. Of course, all coaches try to do this, and some are quite good at it, but Geno is the true master craftsman and it is a real privilege to watch his products develop into their final form.
Wow- Eloquent!!! Really!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Great fly fishing in PA. Joe Humphries would tell you so.

Been there - done that and agree 100%. Pretty good deer hunting too although that's probably no longer PC.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Everything you describe is why learning and understanding what one is seeing can be helpful in maintaining interest. I have always been a basketball offense and defense geek. Even when Geno takes his foot off the gas and UCONN's fine tuned Masserati jail break offense he expects the team to run the regular half court offense with its read options. Understanding what that offense should look like and what is happening you begin to know what improvement should look like and what the opponent is doing to try and screw it up.

Right now I am saving my shekels to buy the new 6 DVD set by Geno and Bobby Knight. The more you learn the more you see.

I have said several times that I am a terrible in arena fan because often I fall silent watching the game and what the teams are doing. Similarly, I like listening to long theology lectures and spent two days in Gettysburg last week doing just that. What can I say I am a geek at heart. :)

That confession took courage Padre. Say two Hail Maries, 3 Our Fath...er, ooops, sorry!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

VG alzorrogris, but don't forget that the master mechanic has a superb team of coaches and trainers around him who carry a major load all year and mean a lot to each member of the team.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Been there - done that and agree 100%. Pretty good deer hunting too although that's probably no longer PC.
LOL.... why would you say that? Deer eat everyone's gardens! :)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Post of the day (or week or month!) Really nicely put and very true. And it is not just a year long process with the individual parts but because it is women's basketball it is a wonderful four year evolution that we are privileged to watch that overlaps with each successive four year evolution.

And RockyMTblue - a very good addendum to the original posts - Geno may be the artisan craftsman, but he has a shop full of master machinists who he counts on to add their own artistry to the product.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Nice young 6 point buck in our backyard this morning and turkeys almost weekly.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Nice young 6 point buck in our backyard this morning and turkeys almost weekly.
My wife claims that there is a big Turkey in our house every day......

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
My wife claims that there is a big Turkey in our house every day......
I would suggest staying away from the house on the 4th Thursday of this month. Maybe on Wednesday, too, just to be safe.

We have amazing wildlife through the yard. Deer, turkeys, bear, various hawks and owls, turtles, red squirrels and gray squirrels, chippies, snakes, moles, voles, opossum, foxes, skunks, raccoons, and forget numbering all the birds but they do include five species of woodpeckers including the large pileated woodpecker. Oh, and an icebear. It is great fun living in Central PA.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yes ... those d_mn deer! I have four doe who visit regularly to chew all available plant life growing between the ground and 5' - thinking of offering an armchair, outdoor heater, free hot toddies, etc to any bow hunters interested in a civilized hunting experience. Darn beasts just look up quizzically whenever I open a door. If I shout or run towards them they may move a few feet away before returning to their browsing.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Spread some paprika around the afflicted areas.

Reaction Score
Perhaps this has been brought up by others. but I predict one of the most noticeable trends as the 2013-14 season progresses will be a rising tide of repetitive complaints among Boneyarders (and other UConn fans) that they are totally bored and that watching the games has become a chore rather than a joy. By mid- to late January, this may get to the point of ruining the season for fans who are falling asleep after the first 2-5 minutes of each game ...when the lead, ho hum, is a dozen to 15 points and a 40+ point margin of victory is again inevitable -- that only because Geno has discovered new methods of restraining the margin of victory while being respectful of the competition.

Other recent threads here are not being overly optimistic. Tony C's projections of total domination are not at all out of line. He sees it clearly. And the predictions in Reno Tony's thread about points scored and average victory margin are very realistic, perhaps modest.

Fans right now may be thinking, 'Great. What a great season to relish.'

In a couple of months, they'll be bellyaching about the boredom. It will be obvious when you visit the Boneyard later, say the last week in January.
Don't see how, since I record and watch all the games over again many times. Even the blowouts. It's the games I love to watch not the score

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

Like, like, like
The boat above is pictured at its home in Rio Dulce

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Good for you---- I wanted so bad to organize a road trip there. But between fly fishing from April- Oct, season tickets, Maggie Dixon, Tmts, and my first Final Four this year- My wife put the brakes on me- I can't blame her. I would have done a road trip to MD game on Friday and then to Happy Valley for Sunday! You will have to give us detailed report about the feeling or mood at the field house at the game, etc..

I was thinking of a trip to Maryland, see my son and old buddies…but to combine a Penn State doubleheader…Wow, what an idea!

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Spread some paprika around the afflicted areas.
Yep. Season 'em up for the bowhunters, kinda like a marinade..how thoughtful of you, IceBear!:D

(don't know 'bout paprika, but cayenne pepper does wonders for keeping squirrels out of your birdfeeder).

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yep. Season 'em up for the bowhunters, kinda like a marinade..how thoughtful of you, IceBear!:D

(don't know 'bout paprika, but cayenne pepper does wonders for keeping squirrels out of your birdfeeder).
Paprika works, so does cayenne which we have used for both deer and squirrels. Great except for those southwestern squirrels.

Reaction Score
Watched them for 20 yrs. both home and onthe road( including at Tenn. were are blue was bury in orange including the seats)have gone to several final 4s.I am a fan because of the players starting with Jen,Reb.&co thru the wonderful years with Sue,DT,Then MM and now are present team.There is no bordam watching the level of our teams preformance regardless of the opponent.
I now live inSC an can no longer trave as I use to but I have waited 7 months for the season to start again. Now I watch on direct TV.
Never board!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Everything you describe is why learning and understanding what one is seeing can be helpful in maintaining interest. I have always been a basketball offense and defense geek. Even when Geno takes his foot off the gas and UCONN's fine tuned Masserati jail break offense he expects the team to run the regular half court offense with its read options. Understanding what that offense should look like and what is happening you begin to know what improvement should look like and what the opponent is doing to try and screw it up.

Right now I am saving my shekels to buy the new 6 DVD set by Geno and Bobby Knight. The more you learn the more you see.

I have said several times that I am a terrible in arena fan because often I fall silent watching the game and what the teams are doing. Similarly, I like listening to long theology lectures and spent two days in Gettysburg last week doing just that. What can I say I am a geek at heart. :)
Your shekels- classic! Reminds me of Monty Python's Life of Brian!!!!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Paprika works, so does cayenne which we have used for both deer and squirrels. Great except for those southwestern squirrels.
You're on a roll!!!! Do you bring your dry and quick witted sense of humor into your sermons?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Are B Yarder's PC?
No, Boneyarders are not Providence College although Doris Burke is.

BTW, two weeks of hearing Beth Mowins do play by play for PSU football is driving me nuts. Her voices is fingernails on a chalkboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom