Bummer for Boneyarders | The Boneyard

Bummer for Boneyarders

Status
Not open for further replies.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Perhaps this has been brought up by others. but I predict one of the most noticeable trends as the 2013-14 season progresses will be a rising tide of repetitive complaints among Boneyarders (and other UConn fans) that they are totally bored and that watching the games has become a chore rather than a joy. By mid- to late January, this may get to the point of ruining the season for fans who are falling asleep after the first 2-5 minutes of each game ...when the lead, ho hum, is a dozen to 15 points and a 40+ point margin of victory is again inevitable -- that only because Geno has discovered new methods of restraining the margin of victory while being respectful of the competition.

Other recent threads here are not being overly optimistic. Tony C's projections of total domination are not at all out of line. He sees it clearly. And the predictions in Reno Tony's thread about points scored and average victory margin are very realistic, perhaps modest.

Fans right now may be thinking, 'Great. What a great season to relish.'

In a couple of months, they'll be bellyaching about the boredom. It will be obvious when you visit the Boneyard later, say the last week in January.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Perhaps this has been brought up by others. but I predict one of the most noticeable trends as the 2013-14 season progresses will be a rising tide of repetitive complaints among Boneyarders (and other UConn fans) that they are totally bored and that watching the games has become a chore rather than a joy. By mid- to late January, this may get to the point of ruining the season for fans who are falling asleep after the first 2-5 minutes of each game ...when the lead, ho hum, is a dozen to 15 points and a 40+ point margin of victory is again inevitable -- that only because Geno has discovered new methods of restraining the margin of victory while being respectful of the competition.

Other recent threads here are not being overly optimistic. Tony C's projections of total domination are not at all out of line. He sees it clearly. And the predictions in Reno Tony's thread about points scored and average victory margin are very realistic, perhaps modest.

In a couple of months, they'll be bellyaching about the boredom. It will be obvious when you visit the Boneyard later, say the last week in January.
If anyone is bored watching one of the best teams in history play 35 dominating minutes of basketball and 5 minutes of watching the two walk ons have the time of their life, they can shut off the tv and keep the complaints to themselves.

Reaction Score
It's not a problem for me as well as long as the game is played right (the UConn way)!
In order for the games to be more competitive and to keep the interest of Boneyarders, Geno will not have a team on the floor for the first 5 mon. of the game so the other team will have an opportunity to score as many points as they can on those 5 min. and than for the rest of the game UConn will try to come from behind and win the game :)

JS

Reaction Score
Getting bored doesn't happen with me. I almost always like to watch, because in most games the scoring margin isn't the important thing; seeing what the players are doing is.

To the contrary, the games in which the margin becomes crucial are the ones I find hard to watch. I record them, start a half hour late, peek ahead once or twice to see if the tension is resolved, then go back to watching the play by play .

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
"In a couple of months, they'll be bellyaching about the boredom. It will be obvious when you visit the Boneyard later, say the last week in January."

Non, mon ami, it will be sooner than that - say right after the Hall of Fame game....

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
I am UConn fan,no matter what the sport.Whether they win every basketball game by 100,or every baseball game by 12,or every football game by 50(as examples)or lose every game in any sport they participate in,I would not hesitate to watch them when it is available for view.Die hard fan,that's me,same for the Red Sox.Being their fan in all ways never gets old,for me.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

Excellent post Pacs.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Getting bored doesn't happen with me. I almost always like to watch, because in most games the scoring margin isn't the important thing; seeing what the players are doing is.
Agreed. Like the great Chauncey Gardiner once said.... "I like to watch". So no, I will not be getting bored. Only irritated at each TO or lost rebound or missed shot.

To the contrary, the games in which the margin becomes crucial are the ones I find hard to watch. I record them, start a half hour late, peek ahead once or twice to see if the tension is resolved, then go back to watching the play by play .
I do the same. Probably won't have to much this year. However, I try to get in the habit of recording and watching either later or starting after the game is a ways in. Then I can skip the commercials. Unless it's the AT&T commercial with the little girl talking about the raisins and grapes.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The joy of being a Uconn WCBB fan is watching a beautiful game played beautifully ... and beating the cr_p out of all comers. I do not believe i heard a lot of complaints about the product when we were in the middle of an undefeated season where we never won by fewer than 10 points or when that continued into a second consecutive undefeated season of absolute dominance. As for points scored and margin of victory ... Uconn already has one season of averaging above 90 points and another 4 of averaging above 86 and 7 more of averaging above 81 and I don't remember complaints and this is in line with predictions in your sited thread. Scoring margin - 7 seasons above 30 pts/gm and 1 of those above 35 ppg. and again no complaints. I admit that some including myself think we could set a new NCAA margin of victory record this year, but a bunch of people are saying this is the BEST WCBB team ever and they are going to blow out Stanford and Duke and anyone else that dares to take the floor against them and that is mostly why the predictions are so high and not the level of competition.
Uconn's record since 2000 averages something like 35 - 3 per year with 3 undefeated seasons - if we wanted to root for a team that consistently played competitive games we would choose Rutgers or Hartford or St. Johns. We like rooting for a team 'playing in a league of their own!'

arch

Reaction Score

I'll watch anything UConn WBB but we'll only be using our XL Center season tickets once. If the schedulers were out to end the XL Center/UConn WBB relationship they couldn't have done a better job. I'm a little sad about it but sitting in my family room watching on the TV isn't the worst fate. Plus, giving the tickets to younger folks might liven things up a hair.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

Speak for yourself

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score

Yeah. What JS said.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Doubtless there will be some complainers. But I predict that the great majority of Boneyarders will grin from ear to ear, and will perhaps also experience some moments of anguish in close games or (God forbid!) losses, as we watch our beloved Huskies play in what promises to be a magical season. I think the small minority of grousers will make a lot of noise on the Boneyard but their noise will mean zilch to the rest of us.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Someone must be reading John Altavilla's blog and tweets as that's what he's been saying for a while. IMHO its time for JA to get a new beat. Courant needs new blood to cover the team. Someone with a sense of humor and yet still serious about the team that he covers. He's falling into the category of Mike DiMauro. Its a chore for them to cover the team.

IMHO Carl Adamec, Rich Elliott and Jim Fuller provide the best in-depth coverage of the team. However, with that said, it appears Carl has less columns on the team since he became associated with SNY.

HGN

Reaction Score
Its all about getting the team ready for a March Championship run....If UConn has a few blowouts along the way of Fine-Tuning its players for March Madness , so be it. Let's say we Fine-Tune (maybe a blowout or 2 ) for 4 games ; check the progress out by playing a toughie ( Stanford. Louisville , Baylor , etc..) , then go back and Fine-Tune some more by playing whoever is on the schedule. Nothing wrong with that..... There will be enough tough games on the schedule , and UConn coaches will not allow complacency to set in , or let the team get over-confident. UConn is just playing whoever is on the schedule.

I don't think boredom will set in because there is too much at stake. UConn has a legitimate chance to go Undefeated and is the only team in WCBB that has a chance to Repeat.

They may lose a game here or there , but they have an eye on that NC. And I won't get bored cheering them on.

Reaction Score
UConn BB is never boring. They play at such a high level and even though they blow people out, you can enjoy their execution of their offense and the tenacity of their defense. I look forward to every minute....................

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
OK. I guess I'm the lone fan that will admit to being bored when UConn trounces a woefully overmatched Old Overshoe U by 60 points. That's mostly true for those games where the team plays like crap, usually around mid season. The only blowouts that I find entertaining are when UConn blows away teams that are supposed to be competitive.

Give me a nail biter every game and I would be happy.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The antidote to boredom is learning to watch the game and to understand what teams are doing and attempting to do on offense and defense. See the game beyond the score. Learn the game itself.

It is similar to my complaint about announcers today. They do not know how to call play by play and bring life to the call. Instead they expect the game to be only about the score and the tension of close competition. When that is what one expects it is easy to become bored or boring.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
If anyone is bored watching one of the best teams in history play 35 dominating minutes of basketball and 5 minutes of watching the two walk ons have the time of their life, they can shut off the tv and keep the complaints to themselves.

doggy is right...I'll take it one step further. I LOVE blowouts, w/ UConn winning by 65 points.... I want 30 minutes of KML, Stewie and Dolson, not 15. I want MoJet to set a record for steals and Hartley to score more than two years ago. When Chong comes in I want to see her drive to the basket, again and again. I want Tuck to score 20 pts a game and Stokes to block 100 shots. Banks should get a chance to make up for last season's injury by padding her stats. Geno shouldn't have to stop full court pressing and fast breaks because he's up 35 points early in the 2nd half. It is not UConn's fault if the other team can't keep up. Enough w/ the pity, let the games begin and turn the girls loose..!! Crush everybody, take no prisoners and win #9...! Go Huskies..!!

Reaction Score
I think fans of other wcbb teams might get bored and tired of their teams getting blown off the floor this year by UConn. Not me.

"A hundred bottles of beer on the wall, a hundred bottles of beer ..."

Reaction Score

Not this dog. We are all part of this special family of fans and team that is UCONN and I enjoy our dominance which is the goal of every great team. No one goes out there to lose.

Reaction Score

Yesshhh! You've used up the karma quotient for several years. If a game is lost, we'll need a hanging. We haven't had a good hanging around here in a long, long time. You, Tony or one of the other 40 point margin crowd would be good candidates.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I would have thought there would have been four hangings last year with how the team lost 3 games to ND and the Baylor game. All Games where UConn had the lead in the 2nd half and should have won them. :) Fans will survive if there are any losses this year, unless its the last game and the opponent was the Lady Vols ;)

Yesshhh! You've used up the karma quotient for several years. If a game is lost, we'll need a hanging. We haven't had a good hanging around here in a long, long time. You, Tony or one of the other 40 point margin crowd would be good candidates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom