Bummer for Boneyarders | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Bummer for Boneyarders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hit a nerve?

I wasn't complaining. How did you get that out of what I typed?

I love close games. The facts are that UConn is so good this year, there may not be any.

So, we all have a choice. Complain about it or make the best of it.

Again, if someone doesn't like watching blowouts then they don't have to watch. Just stop complaining here. We get it. I don't see the point. As you said, it won't change in the foreseeable future.

and all along i thought i was "complaining about it and making the best of it". which i will continue to do, if you don't mind.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
and all along i thought i was "complaining about and making the best of it". which i will continue to do, if you don't mind.

Complain away. I'm sure that will help.

Reaction Score
what is so special about this team is the way they play the game. I watch every game and dvr it to relish every play. If I was only in it for the excitement of each game I would watch a worse team who struggled to pull out every game. great basketball is its own reword!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I also am a little surprised with the view of the good old days of Big East basketball - we have averaged one loss per season in BigEast regular season play over the last 14 years which I believe includes losses to only three teams Rutgers, ND, and St. Johns - for the rest of the BE teams we have lost since the last century! And at least some of those BE tournament teams got into the NCAAs on the strength of losing to Uconn once or twice during the year (big boost to RPI!)
DePaul - last win 1984
Georgetown - 1993
Pittsburgh - 1993
Providence 1993
St Johns - 2012 (breaking a losing streak since the 1990s)
Seton Hall - 1994
Syracuse - 1996
Villanova - 2004
West Virginia - 1982
Louisville - 1993
Rutgers - 2008
Not exactly a murderers row of opponents and the only close games with most of those teams were the ones where Uconn played really badly. Left off that list was ND which has had a nice little run against Uconn since the NCAA FF in 2011 but had not won a game prior to that since 2001 and had suffered a number of really horrible blow-outs.
So ... all we are really missing is ND. And while we do not play them OOC this year we do play just about every other good team in the country. Uconn vs Syracuse or Villanova or WVU is not likely to have been any more exciting than Uconn vs. Temple or Houston or SMU. And while Louisville has played in 2 of the last 5 championship games they haven't played competitively against Uconn in 20 years. And as for the almighty ACC - Duke hasn't had a competitive game against Uconn for 6 years nor has UNC - and the best that can be said for Maryland is they were smart enough never to play Uconn until last year - BIG mistake!

Sorry Triad - had to add that ACC stuff at the end.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
When I started going to the games years ago the stands at Gampel were filled to the rafters, and they were usually so at the Civic Center. As seasons rolled on the more casual fans gradually dropped by the wayside, but there was always a strong core of the avid fans and there still are. Those are the fans that gobble up everything they can find that's UConn. They buy the apparel. They can never get enough news. They know most everything that there is to know about the players. I don't know how you keep things at the level they were after the first championship. Perhaps it was the novelty of it and you have to expect it. And yes, perhaps some were turned off by too many one sided games. It is their loss but unfortunately it becomes UConn's loss too as far as revenues are concerned.

I am hopeful that some miraculous advertising effort, or an upturn in the economy, will improve things. Maybe we all can be more enthusiastic boosters when we talk to our friends and neighbors Maybe we can brainstorm some other ideas. (Please don't suggest that Geno and the coaching staff sport some new yoga outfits!)

I have attended every exhibition and season game over the years from start to finish. I never get bored but I can appreciate that some do. I don't see that it has had any ill effects on me although my wife can always spot a few. This, along with my grandson's indoor soccer games, makes the D--n New England winter so much more bearable.
Great post HH- re attendance- we have doubled our 2 person group to 4 for Gampel and 6 to XL Center. I don't think the cost is the major factor keeping attendance from growing. I am convinced it is the distance to usually night drive to Gampel, Parking, walking, and late drive home. I say this because a few years ago, when No Bfd Rec Dept offered a bus trip to Gampel for 2-3 games, they sold 2-3 buses for each game for $70-75! No Bfd is not one of the wealthy communities in the state. I really think these types of pkgs would hep sell out every game if they were offered!

Reaction Score
To me it's not about the score but how UCONN plays 40 minutes harder than any other team in USA! Players diving over the scorers table for a ball winning by 40 points with less than 5 minutes left in the game is what separates UCONN from the others! Twice now KY and their 40 minutes of hell defense has wilted under the pressure of UCONN's heart! DUKE has been beaten by 30+ just like NoCar was! TN would lose by 40+ with their "GREAT FRONT COURT"! No one sells out for 40 minutes like the Huskies! If they can keep all 11 players healthy for the whole season it could be outstanding! They have at least 7 players that can average double figures for the season! They are their own hardest opponent! Look at the first 3 ND games when they mistaked their way to 3 losses then played their "usual" UCONN game and ran ND out of the gym at the FF! If they played the whole season as they played the NCAA's they would have gone undefeated!

Reaction Score
Geno-ista, It isn't the blowouts that is cutting the crowds down, it's the policies of the Athletic Dept. and Ticket Office that is p---ing off the season ticket holders! Paying 3x's the price at Bridgeport for Regionals than any other Regional doesn't help either! No other major college disrespects their season ticket holders more than UCONN!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Geno-ista, It isn't the blowouts that is cutting the crowds down, it's the policies of the Athletic Dept. and Ticket Office that is p---ing off the season ticket holders! Paying 3x's the price at Bridgeport for Regionals than any other Regional doesn't help either! No other major college disrespects their season ticket holders more than UCONN!

I also think we can blame CPTV for reduced audiences - it didn't happen immediately, but over time more and more people have figured out that they can save money, effort, and time by just staying home and watching on TV. And they get better views of the action. This is not confined to Uconn but to professional sports as well - the NFL is trying all sorts of things to 'enhance' the stadium experience because they are losing attendance. With technology and things like DirectTV and NFL Red Zone - you can see a lot more action in your living room than freezing in a stadium mid winter.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

Let's keep the two things separate. My understanding is that Regional pricing is determined by the NCAA, not the hosting school or participants. I don't disagree that the UConn office could up their game.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I also am a little surprised with the view of the good old days of Big East basketball
Well the problem is it will look like the "good old days" compared to the AAC. As bad as the BE was, or as dominate as UCONN was in the BE, it'll only be more so with the AAC. Unfortunately.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Ice – I have watched the UConn women play for nearly 20 years. In that time I doubt if I have missed more than a handful of games. By my count I suspect I have watched close to 600 UConn women’s games. While I won’t pretend to be a basketball expert, I think I’ve watched enough to understand what the teams are doing on offense and defense.

Part of the problem is that in blowouts against grossly overmatched opponents Auriemma typically takes his foot off the gas midway through the 1st half and is usually standing with both feet on the brakes by the time the 2nd half begins. There really is little to watch and understand since the team is not playing their “regular” game.

Athletic competitions are made up of many components. In the case of a typical snoozer, a huge component is missing – the competition. To borrow on Kibitzer’s analogy – For me it’s a bit like watching a Stones concert without Jagger.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Ice – I have watched the UConn women play for nearly 20 years. In that time I doubt if I have missed more than a handful of games. By my count I suspect I have watched close to 600 UConn women’s games. While I won’t pretend to be a basketball expert, I think I’ve watched enough to understand what the teams are doing on offense and defense.

Part of the problem is that in blowouts against grossly overmatched opponents Auriemma typically takes his foot off the gas midway through the 1st half and is usually standing with both feet on the brakes by the time the 2nd half begins. There really is little to watch and understand since the team is not playing their “regular” game.

Athletic competitions are made up of many components. In the case of a typical snoozer, a huge component is missing – the competition. To borrow on Kibitzer’s analogy – For me it’s a bit like watching a Stones concert without Jagger.
I've seen those same games and I have to disagree somewhat. Games against former players excluded, Geno has them play all out until the last 10 minutes of the game.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I enjoy the games, wait for them all year in some ways...IAC, my time in life is limited, so boredom is not an option. In fact, I DVR all games, fun to rewatch and zero in on specific interests.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Thanks for the rsvp--- but I have only been a Season ticket holder for 3 yrs- I used to just go to many of the bigger games prior. so I really can't comment on your comment with knowledge. I don't mind paying the prices to see them if it helps our program. Obviously I would like to pay less. But you long time Season ticket holders know better than I on that issue.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Large, very large screen TVs with HD.
All these points are definitely part of the reason and accurate for lower attendance. But there are alot of fans out there, that would get on a nice bus 2-3 times a season to go to a game, from their local town hall centers, to experience the thrill of being there, the band, the pre game video, etc... I am convinced, that if more of these efforts were made- we would fill the last of the higher sections in Gampel. They wouldn't become season ticket holders, but I think we would fill alot of seats. I think our group car pooling from the Bfd, New Haven Area makes it alot easier on gas, cost, comradery on the drive, and helping tot keep the driver awake on the way home at night. Other benefits, gets me off the couch and I am less likely to fill up on junk food that I don't need but would eat otherwise. Plus we enjoy a longer walk to and from gampel or XL from where we park. And these people would spend alot of money at the book store as they are only there a few times a year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

I agree that Geno takes his foot off the gas re pressing/trapping defense and fast break offense, but he never takes his foot off in terms of coaching and running good half court offense and defense. He uses blow-outs as ways to refine players skills and the teams ability to play different types of offense and defense and I find that process fascinating. We have all seen him with a quick hook when a player makes a boneheaded mistake with the scoring margin in the 30s and come close to full on embolism when a player does something wrong. And it also gives extended looks at and development time to the bench players and that process is something I also find fascinating.
(I also remember a game that wasn't going to be competitive with I think Providence years ago where he benched the whole starting unit because they were dishonoring his ideal of good basketball.)

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
I enjoy the games, wait for them all year in some ways...IAC, my time in life is limited, so boredom is not an option. In fact, I DVR all games, fun to rewatch and zero in on specific interests.

Ozzie- I'm with you--- I go to every home game thru tmts and regionals- and the number of times I watch each of my DVR'd games after I attend, it almost embarrassing to tell. I love to try to learn how they do what they do. The more I watch them, the more I appreciate them!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

Part of the problem is that in blowouts against grossly overmatched opponents Auriemma typically takes his foot off the gas midway through the 1st half and is usually standing with both feet on the brakes by the time the 2nd hal begins. There really is little to watch and understand since the team is not playing their “regular” game.

Everything you describe is why learning and understanding what one is seeing can be helpful in maintaining interest. I have always been a basketball offense and defense geek. Even when Geno takes his foot off the gas and UCONN's fine tuned Masserati jail break offense he expects the team to run the regular half court offense with its read options. Understanding what that offense should look like and what is happening you begin to know what improvement should look like and what the opponent is doing to try and screw it up.

Right now I am saving my shekels to buy the new 6 DVD set by Geno and Bobby Knight. The more you learn the more you see.

I have said several times that I am a terrible in arena fan because often I fall silent watching the game and what the teams are doing. Similarly, I like listening to long theology lectures and spent two days in Gettysburg last week doing just that. What can I say I am a geek at heart. :)

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
I agree that Geno takes his foot off the gas re pressing/trapping defense and fast break offense, but he never takes his foot off in terms of coaching and running good half court offense and defense. He uses blow-outs as ways to refine players skills and the teams ability to play different types of offense and defense and I find that process fascinating. We have all seen him with a quick hook when a player makes a boneheaded mistake with the scoring margin in the 30s and come close to full on embolism when a player does something wrong. And it also gives extended looks at and development time to the bench players and that process is something I also find fascinating.
(I also remember a game that wasn't going to be competitive with I think Providence years ago where he benched the whole starting unit because they were dishonoring his ideal of good basketball.)
That Providence game- we looked horrible and he was pissed and for good reason- and to their/Providence's credit- they were athletic and spirited. The were lulling us into average'ness- much like St Johns Did a few years ago( Although St Johns Had much more talent). There was another early, possible pre season game maybe 2 years ago, at the XL center, where the girls almost played from the start like they didn't want to destroy them- those games we just mentioned don't happen to often. I still like to watch them in person, regardless of the opponent, and mostly because I can afford to, I appreciate and respect the team, coach and program- they deserve my support. they have to play the oppoents in conference they are dealt. i don't want to go back to being a fair weather fan like I used to be, going only to bigger games. I am a recent empty nester so it is much easier now as I have much more time as well.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Everything you describe is why learning and understanding what one is seeing can be helpful in maintaining interest. I have always been a basketball offense and defense geek. Even when Geno takes his foot off the gas and UCONN's fine tuned Masserati jail break offense he expects the team to run the regular half court offense with its read options. Understanding what that offense should look like and what is happening you begin to know what improvement should look like and what the opponent is doing to try and screw it up.

Right now I am saving my shekels to buy the new 6 DVD set by Geno and Bobby Knight. The more you learn the more you see.

I have said several times that I am a terrible in arena fan because often I fall silent watching the game and what the teams are doing. Similarly, I like listening to long theology lectures and spent two days in Gettysburg last week doing just that. What can I say I am a geek at heart. :)
Hey Icebear--- will you be able to attend the game at Penn State? Or will your schedule on the weekend/Sunday prevent that??? The Higher Calling issue really comes into question on this one? Maybe just a fleeting 2nd thought about it? Love Ya!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

But it killed the cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle