Bummer for Boneyarders | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bummer for Boneyarders

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I gotta say I've never turned off a UCWBB game out of boredom. There is always a subplot. What exactly are they running? Who is the best defender. And, at least until last year, when will Geno put Heather in? Once Heather did get in I just rooted for her to do well. I guess we'll need a new "fan favorite." Maybe Polly?

Reaction Score
I love watching them.

I love watching them in close games, when they're learning what it's like to maintain their composure under pressure. I love watching them in blowouts, when they use the opportunity to play against the game itself and not simply against their overmatched opponent, and thus hone their skills. I love watching them execute flawless offense, when scoring on every possession seems not only possible, but inevitable. I love watching them play passionate defense, frustrating the opponent's every move at will. And I even love watching them mess up, because although they may not learn from their mistakes at that moment, I have confidence that this coaching staff will use such experiences to elevate the team, and the individual player, to the next level - as long as the player is willing to embrace that journey.

I am definitely never bored while I am watching them. I love watching them. Period.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
PacoSwede I wish to join in the throng responding that we will not be writing complaints on the Boneyard about how games have become a boring chore. Indeed, when I read your post I thought you were writing a tongue in cheek piece. But if you are serious, may I say that I hope you have plenty of ammunition from the games through mid-January to test your hypothesis: may UConn be undefeated with a huge average margin of victory. Let us say that is the case. How do people write Boneyard posts complaining about that? Do people start suggesting that the NCAA should require UConn to play with just 4 players? I think it far more likely that you would see concerns being raised about being able to get enough challenging late season games in order to be in NCAA Tourney form. I can also see the trolls and semi-trolls come out to voice their opinions about the AAC and how that explains UConn's dominance.

Let mid-January take care of itself. Right now, as Icebear observed, we have a pretty exciting run of nonconference games. Looking forward to all of it. Go Huskies!

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Glad to see you all can enjoy the game for many reasons other than drama. I agree these exist and thankfully can make blowouts tolerable.

Let's see if you're feeling the same way as January closes. I think at this point there are many here who simply can't imagine how crushingly dominant the Huskies are going to be. Having a contest does count for something. You don't see fans crowding the arena to enjoy the precision of the Huskies' warm-up lines.

And, Rocky, tongue in cheek, but trying to make a point in the process.

Reaction Score
I watched a lot of "competitive" games last year on Sunday afternoon on ESPN Full Court. Lots of SEC match ups like Ark - LSU, Miss -Alabama type games. They were all close to the end ........ and the most boring games you could watch. Endless outside shots that clanged off the rim, followed by a Rugby scrum in the paint and missed followup shots. I rarely watched more than ahalf and I didn't renew the subscription.

If UConn played like that I wouldn't bother. Sure I like competitive games. I thought the first 3 UConn-ND games were the best games of the year even though UConn lost all 3. I would love to see a dozen teams that play as good as UConn. I'll trade undefeated seasons for better competition. But in lieu of that I prefer to watch UConn blow teams away, as long as they play hard, efficient ball for 40 minutes. Like the exhibition games, I will focus on individual players to see how they play without the ball or if they are in a battle within the game. The score becomes secondary. If UConn became sloppy and had their lead whittled down in the last 12 minutes I would have turned it off but as long as they play shut down defense for 40 minutes I will savor every second.

I also enjoy watching great golf and prefer watching Tiger win by 6 or 7 because of spectacular shots to watching 3 or 4 less talented players play to secure 2nd place, which was how pro golf was played prior to Tiger's arrival. (except maybe for Norman)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Bored - NEVER!!!!

Watching the team execute the offense is amazing. Watching the lockdown defense is a thing of beauty.

Never get bored watching KML taking a 3. Stewie roaming the lane, the pass and quick two. Kiah watching an opponent come to the basket only to get their shot blocked. Or one of Stewie's monster blocks. And so much more from Stef, Bria, Brianna, MoJef and Morgan.

This type of basketball is a joy to watch, regardless of the score. Besides, who doesn't like a blowout!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
In my lifetime of attendance at concerts and sports events I have been privileged to see Horowitz, Heifetz, Perlman, Tatum, Miles, Russ, Hondo, Magic, Lennie, Dr J, Big O, Waylon and Willie, Isaac Stern, Ella, Oscar, Lionel, the Duke, Pavorotti, DiMaggio, Clemente, Galway, Williams, and many more. Most recently, Bela Fleck twice.

I have also watched Diana and Maya and Tina and Kaleena and Breanna.

Most games and concerts last about two hours. I have never been bored watching world class artists at work. And I don't expect to snooze through the upcoming, er, "rising" season with the 2013-2014 edition of the UConn Huskies.

Reaction Score
Perhaps this has been brought up by others. but I predict one of the most noticeable trends as the 2013-14 season progresses will be a rising tide of repetitive complaints among Boneyarders (and other UConn fans) that they are totally bored and that watching the games has become a chore rather than a joy. By mid- to late January, this may get to the point of ruining the season for fans who are falling asleep after the first 2-5 minutes of each game ...when the lead, ho hum, is a dozen to 15 points and a 40+ point margin of victory is again inevitable -- that only because Geno has discovered new methods of restraining the margin of victory while being respectful of the competition.

Other recent threads here are not being overly optimistic. Tony C's projections of total domination are not at all out of line. He sees it clearly. And the predictions in Reno Tony's thread about points scored and average victory margin are very realistic, perhaps modest.

Fans right now may be thinking, 'Great. What a great season to relish.'

In a couple of months, they'll be bellyaching about the boredom. It will be obvious when you visit the Boneyard later, say the last week in January.
Are you not used to the "Bellyaching" on the Boneyard??

Reaction Score
Glad to see you all can enjoy the game for many reasons other than drama. I agree these exist and thankfully can make blowouts tolerable.

Let's see if you're feeling the same way as January closes. I think at this point there are many here who simply can't imagine how crushingly dominant the Huskies are going to be. Having a contest does count for something. You don't see fans crowding the arena to enjoy the precision of the Huskies' warm-up lines.

And, Rocky, tongue in cheek, but trying to make a point in the process.
We will see how boring and dominant they are, after they play someone....LOL

Reaction Score
"Women's basketball doesn't need parity. It needs more good teams."
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . .. . . Geno Auriemma

i think that's the same as parity.

Reaction Score
OK. I guess I'm the lone fan that will admit to being bored when UConn trounces a woefully overmatched Old Overshoe U by 60 points. That's mostly true for those games where the team plays like crap, usually around mid season. The only blowouts that I find entertaining are when UConn blows away teams that are supposed to be competitive.

Give me a nail biter every game and I would be happy.

i agree. what i would like to see more of is our top players showing their skill against the best teams. i get very little satisfaction from watching KML or Breanna against the likes of what they will see too much of in the AAC. my guess is that all the top players get a whole lot more excited about playing against the best. and get a whole lot more satifaction from performing well against ND than performing well against a Houston, Tulane, Memphis, or all the others of that ilk. it is the way it is, but that doesn't make me like it any better. i have no idea what's up with people who enjoy blowouts more than nailbiters.

Reaction Score
Bored - NEVER!!!!

Watching the team execute the offense is amazing. Watching the lockdown defense is a thing of beauty.

Never get bored watching KML taking a 3. Stewie roaming the lane, the pass and quick two. Kiah watching an opponent come to the basket only to get their shot blocked. Or one of Stewie's monster blocks. And so much more from Stef, Bria, Brianna, MoJef and Morgan.

This type of basketball is a joy to watch, regardless of the score. Besides, who doesn't like a blowout!

i don't.

Reaction Score
... i have no idea what's up with people who enjoy blowouts more than nailbiters.

Then obviously you wouldn't have enjoyed watching the original Harlem Globetrotters play against the Washington Generals.

Your loss.

Reaction Score
If the original poster's words had appeared on the Summitt in support of the orange team, we would find the message obnoxious. We will have some challenging moments this season, so let's avoid hubris.

Reaction Score
Then obviously you wouldn't have enjoyed watching the original Harlem Globetrotters play against the Washington Generals.

Your loss.

i watched the original globetrotters many times, and in person. why would you think i hadn't. not really an apt comparison. though you may be onto something here. maybe they could work on a few of the globetrotter type stunts, and throw them in at certain points in the second half.

Reaction Score
My feelings mirror those of JS almost exactly. I feel a little embarrassed
admitting that I record the games that figure to be competitive and then
watch them later, but it's easier on the stomach that way.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
i agree. what i would like to see more of is our top players showing their skill against the best teams. i get very little satisfaction from watching KML or Breanna against the likes of what they will see too much of in the AAC. my guess is that all the top players get a whole lot more excited about playing against the best. and get a whole lot more satifaction from performing well against ND than performing well against a Houston, Tulane, Memphis, or all the others of that ilk. it is the way it is, but that doesn't make me like it any better. i have no idea what's up with people who enjoy blowouts more than nailbiters.
Slightly different version from your take. I enjoy blowouts if the team doing the blowout is UConn and it happens to be against equal competition. I don't enjoy blowouts nearly as much against vastly inferior competition, which unfortunately imo, is the vast majority of women's teams. I won't get bored because, like many of the posters in this thread, I can find entertainment in how Geno coaches and how the players respond to the coaching staff. But I would enjoy the women's game a lot more if there were twenty to thirty top caliber teams as opposed to 4 - 10 teams and if UConn would play many more of these hypothetical teams. Geno has stated he would welcome this as well. There is no doubt in my mind that Geno is hands down the greatest women's bb coach that ever coached, and one of the best coaches of any coaching category.

But women's bb suffers from a lack of a large pool of high caliber athletes. I can't comment on the coaching, but I suspect from Geno's comments that even with a smaller than healthy pool of high caliber athletes, many of them are not getting the type of coaching necessary to be competitive against the best teams.

I loved the rivalry against ND. I hated the recent turn of events. But I prefer going against the ND's no matter what the outcome more than beating an inferior team no matter what the play is like. IMM there was nothing like going against Tennessee back when the two teams played. There was nothing more satisfying then UConn going against Tennessee and beating them. I don't read their site, nor did I get caught up in the fan smack talk or Pat's alzheimer attack on Geno. I loved beating them because they were an equal opponent and a team worthy of finding out whose coaching skills would prevail.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If the original poster's words had appeared on the Summitt in support of the orange team, we would find the message obnoxious. We will have some challenging moments this season, so let's avoid hubris.

Either it happens in the coming week or it isn't going to happen.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
If anyone is bored watching one of the best teams in history play 35 dominating minutes of basketball and 5 minutes of watching the two walk ons have the time of their life, they can shut off the tv and keep the complaints to themselves.

Amen.

Reaction Score
Slightly different version from your take. I enjoy blowouts if the team doing the blowout is UConn and it happens to be against equal competition. I don't enjoy blowouts nearly as much against vastly inferior competition, which unfortunately imo, is the vast majority of women's teams. I won't get bored because, like many of the posters in this thread, I can find entertainment in how Geno coaches and how the players respond to the coaching staff. But I would enjoy the women's game a lot more if there were twenty to thirty top caliber teams as opposed to 4 - 10 teams and if UConn would play many more of these hypothetical teams. Geno has stated he would welcome this as well. There is no doubt in my mind that Geno is hands down the greatest women's bb coach that ever coached, and one of the best coaches of any coaching category.

But women's bb suffers from a lack of a large pool of high caliber athletes. I can't comment on the coaching, but I suspect from Geno's comments that even with a smaller than healthy pool of high caliber athletes, many of them are not getting the type of coaching necessary to be competitive against the best teams.

I loved the rivalry against ND. I hated the recent turn of events. But I prefer going against the ND's no matter what the outcome more than beating an inferior team no matter what the play is like. IMM there was nothing like going against Tennessee back when the two teams played. There was nothing more satisfying then UConn going against Tennessee and beating them. I don't read their site, nor did I get caught up in the fan smack talk or Pat's alzheimer attack on Geno. I loved beating them because they were an equal opponent and a team worthy of finding out whose coaching skills would prevail.

i don't think you have a different take , at all. i certainly enjoy blowouts against the good teams. and i also enjoy the games against the ND s, no matter the outcome, more than the blowouts. i just really enjoy watching uconn's best players in those situations. and i'd be willing to bet that the players enjoy those games more, also, no matter the outcome. the better players thrive on, and welcome, tough competition. that's what all the hard work is for.

Reaction Score
If anyone is bored watching one of the best teams in history play 35 dominating minutes of basketball and 5 minutes of watching the two walk ons have the time of their life, they can shut off the tv and keep the complaints to themselves.

if you can't handle a discussion about something that a few people on this board feel strongly about, then shut off your computer , and keep your complaints to yourself. some here would rather see many more tightly contested games, because that's when the most talented uconn players can really show their games. interest in uconn peaked when they were going at it with tennessee, and for good reason. 35 minutes of dominating the many powder puffs on the schedule really doesn't prove a damn thing, nor is it very exciting viewing. unfortunately, that's the way it is , and the way it probably will be for a while, at least until geno retires. in the meantime, i'll keep watching, and keep wishing for uconn's out of conference schedule to include every top team possible. either that, or perhaps have their games be handicapped, like in golf or horse racing, where, for example , uconn would put only 3 or 4 players on the court at one time, or strap weights to their ankles, or start the game 25 points down.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
if you can't handle a discussion about something that a few people on this board feel strongly about, then shut off your computer , and keep your complaints to yourself. some here would rather see many more tightly contested games, because that's when the most talented uconn players can really show their games. interest in uconn peaked when they were going at it with tennessee, and for good reason. 35 minutes of dominating the many powder puffs on the schedule really doesn't prove a damn thing, nor is it very exciting viewing. unfortunately, that's the way it is , and the way it probably will be for a while, at least until geno retires. in the meantime, i'll keep watching, and keep wishing for uconn's out of conference schedule to include every top team possible. either that, or perhaps have their games be handicapped, like in golf or horse racing, where, for example , uconn would put only 3 or 4 players on the court at one time.
Hit a nerve?

I wasn't complaining. How did you get that out of what I typed?

I love close games. The facts are that UConn is so good this year, there may not be any.

So, we all have a choice. Complain about it or make the best of it.

Again, if someone doesn't like watching blowouts then they don't have to watch. Just stop complaining here. We get it. I don't see the point. As you said, it won't change in the foreseeable future.

Reaction Score
When I started going to the games years ago the stands at Gampel were filled to the rafters, and they were usually so at the Civic Center. As seasons rolled on the more casual fans gradually dropped by the wayside, but there was always a strong core of the avid fans and there still are. Those are the fans that gobble up everything they can find that's UConn. They buy the apparel. They can never get enough news. They know most everything that there is to know about the players. I don't know how you keep things at the level they were after the first championship. Perhaps it was the novelty of it and you have to expect it. And yes, perhaps some were turned off by too many one sided games. It is their loss but unfortunately it becomes UConn's loss too as far as revenues are concerned.

I am hopeful that some miraculous advertising effort, or an upturn in the economy, will improve things. Maybe we all can be more enthusiastic boosters when we talk to our friends and neighbors Maybe we can brainstorm some other ideas. (Please don't suggest that Geno and the coaching staff sport some new yoga outfits!)

I have attended every exhibition and season game over the years from start to finish. I never get bored but I can appreciate that some do. I don't see that it has had any ill effects on me although my wife can always spot a few. This, along with my grandson's indoor soccer games, makes the D--n New England winter so much more bearable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom