Building Players the Good the Bad and the Ughly | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Building Players the Good the Bad and the Ughly

Reaction Score
From which position of the Choir did you eject me? In essence I was agreeing with your belief --that game time is the, not necessarily prime time, is the time to HONE Practice skills. My personal belief, can you believe I coached for about 8 years and never won an NC in WCBB(?, very little is learned if players don't ever get into real, not cupcake, games.. The one part of the equation Uconn fans tend to forget 1. Geno has been coaching near 40 years and opposing coaches by now know his game really well. 2. WCBB has evolved since 2010, amazingly, bigger, more talented , faster, more skilled kids are playing the game 24/7/365. The top of the hill ain't what it once was.. One kid or 2 like Paige or Azzi isn't all it takes to win it all. Unlike DT, Swin, Shea, Svet, Maya, Stewie--(even Stewie had Dolson and Stokes, KML.
Nothing personal at all, it's just that what I'm asking for doesn't go further than looking for some court time for those players that Geno expected to be major contributors this season.........it's clear Geno is looking for help from Fudd and Juhaz.........I'm not sure if Gabriel is in that category at this time, but I think Ducharme, Muhl and Griffin should be more than just warm bodies collecting splinters........

Reaction Score
A tale of two halves. It was noted that UConn turned the ball over several times back to back to back in the 3rd quarter in which they outscored UConn by 6. You can't turn the ball over against elite teams. They will make you pay and convert those turn overs (extra possessions) into points.

Aliyah Boston got a lot of cheap/easy baskets in the paint. If you're going to beat SC, YOU MUST neutralize her.
She had 22 points and 15 rebounds (7 offensive). When she puts up those kinds of numbers, they win. Again, she MUST be neutralized. You can't let her run roughshod over your team and do or get whatever she wants to. She'll kill you every time. UConn didn't do that. UConn also could not match her production in the paint.

I asked a question in another thread, I'll ask it again. SC didn't stop playing in the 2nd half, why did we? We played them well enough to lead by 3 at the half, why didn't we play with the same intensity and urgency in the 2nd half? They certainly weren't afraid or intimidated by us. Were we by them? What happened?
If only one team played. if only one coach, coached the South Carolina game. Then we each could scream nasty words at Geno---there were 2 teams, 2 coaches. Each at half time said words to their teams. Made adjustments. Some adjustment were physically impossible to have been made. FACTS each. I can't and I won't blame GENO nor the last kid on the bench ,nor God Forbid, Paige.
Geno doesn't live or play WCBB in a vacuum. Every top coach knows everything Geno could run. Paige, purely a guess not a fact in this part of the response: emotionally, physically, saw no way of getting a clear open shot --and frustration came in which tires a person more.
This was one game. This may never happen again, this year. But we as fans search for answers to questions not answerable, yet.

Reaction Score
Nothing personal at all, it's just that what I'm asking for doesn't go further than looking for some court time for those players that Geno expected to be major contributors this season.........it's clear Geno is looking for help from Fudd and Juhaz.........I'm not sure if Gabriel is in that category at this time, but I think Ducharme, Muhl and Griffin should be more than just warm bodies collecting splinters........
Charlie, you pick Gabriel as a question mark??? She has the one asset Uconn needed against SC, and will need in the run for the NC. Muhl, bad feet, Griffin, Bad legs, Caroline, I think is healthy. That kid has talent 6 ft 1 or 2 depends on who you read, can dribble drive attack, drill the 3. As can Fudd. You cannot learn the speed, tough game, physicalit, of WCBB at this level without experiencing it. Not against St Johns or Marquett (they help). Geno, knows all we know and more. I wish I knew what he knows about Amere and Gabriel. For much of the past 10 years SIZE like Dolson Stokes, Tina i.e. size that plays the game. Size alone is not good.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Actually, factually, I never crawled, not once. Family lore. Bad adage, it is only sometimes true. It doesn't, like coaching, work for everyone.
Noted. Most of the rest of us crawled before we learned how to walk. It’s not a bad adage for the majority of human beings who fit into that category. There are always exceptions to the rule for a very small number who don't. Congratulations on never having to crawl. You’re an exception. My comment was directed to the majority of mankind which was/is appropriate. Adages aside, you get my drift.

Reaction Score
Charlie, you pick Gabriel as a question mark??? She has the one asset Uconn needed against SC, and will need in the run for the NC. Muhl, bad feet, Griffin, Bad legs, Caroline, I think is healthy. That kid has talent 6 ft 1 or 2 depends on who you read, can dribble drive attack, drill the 3. As can Fudd. You cannot learn the speed, tough game, physicalit, of WCBB at this level without experiencing it. Not against St Johns or Marquett (they help). Geno, knows all we know and more. I wish I knew what he knows about Amere and Gabriel. For much of the past 10 years SIZE like Dolson Stokes, Tina i.e. size that plays the game. Size alone is not good.
in what little I've seen of her this season Gabriel looks more formidable physically but she doesn't even have top notch high school experience never mind the international competition that DeBerry has had............putting her in against the front line of South Carolina would really be throwing her to the wolves.......I do remember posting before that game that UConn should be attacking that SC front court to draw them into foul trouble and were I coaching (insert joke here) I might have been tempted to rotate all of the UConn post players in even if only for a minute or two to attract some contact..... my general comments come from the frustration of seeing those really good players sitting hopelessly on the bench while the starters floundered in the fourth quarter......I mean if Ducharme shot five threes in that quarter I'm betting one goes in.......

Reaction Score
very true but how many of those games were played against AAC and Big East teams and other sisters of the poor........UConn does not have the benefit of competing against the best competition in conference so that overall record is somewhat skewed.......I'd be curious to know the UConn record against Top Twenty teams during Geno's tenure..........no doubt it's still extremely impressive but not 94%.......I'm curious to see if UConn can get through the rest of the season undefeated...............it's not going to be easy......

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
How about last year against then #1 South Carolina?
No. They barely won that game. If they had played well they would have won that game by double figures. As far as Stewie, Tuck, and Jefferson, UConn played really good ball after they graduated and continued to beat top ten teams. It has been the last three years that UConn has won, but not looked good in doing so. I was attracted to UConn women's basketball because of the beautiful offense they ran and the stifling defense they put on other teams. I have not seen much of that in the last three seasons on a regular basis against the better teams and neither have you, because it has been missing. Was SC the only good team they played last season? Anyone can pick and choose one game.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
While I agree some bench players are not seeing as many minutes as might be expected from their HS rankings and I hope that changes , Azzi has been getting significant playing time as 1st or second off the bench. Even in those games, Azzi was being exposed defensively to different degrees. but Geno kept her on the court paying off against USF. When SC went after her time after time, it was really not possible to keep her on the court and being beaten defensively probably affected her offensive mindset. This issue with defense may be injury related based on Geno's comments so I hope that issue is solved in quick time.

Finally, if read - react motion offense where screening and cutting is emphasized is out of date, just let me out at the corner. I think most of the player difficulties are due to an increasing level of pressure to maintain the UConn history which no other team has and it makes playing loose and free very difficult. It takes a mental toughness that has to be built over time starting on the practice court and not every player has it.
The read and react offense has not been working for UConn against the better teams the past few seasons. It's fine when you have the players to run it. No need to fret. Geno is going to do what he wants to do, and he should.

Reaction Score
If you’re hanging your hat on the “Final Four”, may we dial success back?
How about considering the “Elite Eight” sufficient?
“Sweet Sixteen”?
Will, with parity, a successful (UCONN) season may be relegated to “winning” a Big East title?
An over .500% season?
You can gaze way in the past and point to 11 National Championships.
Or you may focus on the more recent past 0-4 in The Final bracket.
Me, I’m focused on the here and now, and still stinging from the performance in their last game.
And by the way- “on the backs” of the starting 5 does not mean utilizing those players exclusively, but generally playing them a huge percentage of the time.
(at the expense of developing additional contributors in roll-over games).
Just want to make some points clear.

Point 1—On a prior post you implied that I was stating only to use 5 players. You exaggerated that point to try to build up yours.

Point 2—You are now talking about .500 record and Big East. It’s not what I said but again you’re exaggerating the point. There’s an enormous difference between .500 and going to the FF.

Point 3—You are making a point of “only going to FF” and “dial the success back.” While you think I’m crazy or worse thinking this way, I think ditto back and you and quite a few others on here that have this type of title or bust attitude. To me it’s mind-boggling if anyone believes all the other wins count very little. (I wonder if it were their kid that played at UCONN if they felt getting to FF was no big deal if anyone feels like that now. Maybe there are quite a few on here like that.

I’ll just add that I believe there are many on here that complaining a lot – I don’t mean the poster that makes an occasional big criticism – but the ones that complain a lot about Geno’s style. I wonder if they ever went to a game live during the Stewart era or after that during these 4-5 years with no title.

Its almost as if some sit on their high perch claiming only titles matter and blast away at only getting to FF’s. Yet how do we think the UCONN fans that are actually at the games that watch a hard fought E8 game feel? These people are actually helping contribute to UCONN’s recurring as well. DO we think that most UCONN fans that watch live feel that a hard fought E8 game for example “is no big deal?” Most fans that watch live – I doubt it. As a result, even though there might be a few more complainers on here sitting on their throne; at least it’s good to know I’ve thousands of fans on my side that beatings team like Louisville in e* game was “a big game.”

Reaction Score
Maybe I've missed this in somebody else's posts. If so, I apologize.
Yes we have all kinds of talent. Yes, some new ones and some veterans have looked a bit confused and the team has looked out of synch.
BB is a team sport, even if there are people who stand out, score a lot of points and cruise through games from the opening tip off.
The TEAMS that are consistent, and put together seamless performances game in and game out, are the ones that find a way to combine the different talents and learn how to play off each other's strengths.
Geno and his staff have to put together all of these pieces of the puzzle and fit them into cohesive units that can defend on the perimeter, keep people away from the lane, control the glass, pressure the ball on defense. THEN, transition quickly get the ball down the court, make quick passes, knowing where all 5 pieces will be and get the best shot whether from beyond the arc or in the paint.
And , because there are so many talented, highly motivated pieces of the puzzle (who also happen to be human beings with all the complexities of their different personalities), in some ways it's harder than if there were just 6 or 7 women to consider.
This latest version of HUSKY WCBB has to jell and find the combinations both starting and rotating in off the bench, that will enable them to "put the pedal to the metal" in the fashion we seem to crave, and just plain outplay and outclass the competition.
I got disgusted a few times already because my expectations are so high.
Have a game on Friday and another one on Sunday.
Think I'll just sit back, chill out and see what happens.
I was buying in until I got to “control the glass”.
I may have cracked a rib from laughing so hard.

Reaction Score
This is not a new issue.......in my opinion UConn hasn't had an effective bench in a number of years and when the rubber hits the road during the big games Geno has not had dependable subs that can keep the game even while the starters take a breather......the question is whether this is due to the quality of the bench players or the fact that they have the ability but have not been given the opportunity to prove they can handle the responsibility........
Huh? Rubber hits the road? The road’s been torn up by Geno. And even last year, didn’t the rubber hit the road vs South Carolina and vs Baylor?

Secondly, as you are questioning about the bench; you can claim after nearly any close loss that you could at least point to 1 bench player (or 1 starter that was off) that didn’t pick up enough when that starter was out. We can use that excuse all day. So the question I would like to ask you is how do you know it’s the bench that is the problem and not the quality of the starter(s)? For example, some UCONN teams have won ttiles with 7/8 player benches. How many do you think would’ve scored 3 points in a quarter?

Further, if I were to look at the history of UCONN’s titles, excluding the two DT years of her junior and senior year, you could argue that the quality of the best 5 players on the title teams were either 4-1 or 5-0 superior than any of the past 3 teams, couldn’t you?

It’s there for us to see. So why assume it’s the bench that’s the problem and not the starters?

Third, you mention about needing a breather. Sure some players do. But in that close game that doesn’t mean there can’t be a starter or 2 that plays 40 or very near it, right? For all the talk of Stanford having a super bench Williams played 40 in back-to-back FF and Finals games. The prior year Baylor had 2 players play 40 in the title game. The prior year ND only played 6 players (talk about no bench), and they had 2 starters play 39 minutes in the title game.

So these are title teams that do paly starters near 40 minutes if not all, right?. We can’t just ignore that, right? Are we suggesting Paige Buckers isn’t good enough to play 40 while other title teams have proven that 40 minutes is okay for some of their players?

Reaction Score
Much of what you say is right, I could agree.
No one in their right mind, on this site, would "Call OUT" Geno! . So, Carnac--allow us 4 or 5 decade fans to seek answers to questions without answers.
But there has been some fans that have "called out" Geno, haven't there? In other words, some are saying what he is doing is wrong, isn't that right?

So yes if there are questions - sure. Try to seek them out. But don't you think some have already stated Geno is wrong? In some cases there haven't been "questions."

Reaction Score
Noted. Most of the rest of us crawled before we learned how to walk. It’s not a bad adage for the majority of human beings who fit into that category. There are always exceptions to the rule for a very small number who don't. Congratulations on never having to crawl. You’re an exception. My comment was directed to the majority of mankind which was/is appropriate. Adages aside, you get my drift.
A ting of sarcasm? I guess walking too early makes me dense, Drift? No congratulation is in order. My knees feel the too early work out, the dent in my head from pulling a chain onto my self trying to walk lives with me. I walked but not without encouragement and help.
I like 90 percent of what you write, just a statement not an insult. For every human trait, action or deed there is a positive and a negative. We always have the option to be positive. Adages are just old antiquated views, some good some not so good. We are better off living in the age we have and making up our own minds not using the words of some long dead human. Of course, in discussion we usually find people using others arguments to bolster our own view. At times I'm guilty of that.
Stats I believe the ONLY stat that is important is the WIN or Loss stat. All other stats; only the coach can adjust them.
Again, that never crawling statement is a fact, happened, not a myth.
I like you!

Reaction Score
I was buying in until I got to “control the glass”.
I may have cracked a rib from laughing so hard.
Perhaps I should have indicated the things they HAD to do, the things they AREN'T doing and the things they ARE doing.
Even trying to be an optimist I can't say they are getting the job done inside.
Not with a straight face anyway.

Reaction Score
Sì, rispetto a loro non è aggiornato. Dawn ha avuto 1 titolo e 3 finali a quattro negli ultimi 6 anni (7 se si conta il campionato annullato) , Tara ha avuto 2 finali 4 e un campionato (incluso nei FF #s). La squadra di Geno ha invece raggiunto 6 finali 4 e 2 campionati. Sicuramente sembra che abbia perso rilevanza rispetto a loro o a chiunque altro :rolleyes:. Oppure limiti selettivamente il periodo di tempo di recente a forse 1 anno in modo da poter provare a creare un punto debole.

tra l'altro ho selezionato 6 perché se avessi scelto 5 sia Geno che Dawn avrebbero perso un FF, e Geno un campionato e se fossi andato un altro Tata e Geno avrebbero avuto entrambi un FF in più e Geno un altro campionato.

Reaction Score
I agree ... we wait to see what happens in March and then we discuss it

Reaction Score
Perhaps I should have indicated the things they HAD to do, the things they AREN'T doing and the things they ARE doing.
Even trying to be an optimist I can't say they are getting the job done inside.
Not with a straight face anyway.
No worries.
With all of the size on this roster, the fact that they are unable to box out and dominate on the D boards ( forget about O boards) will doom any thoughts of a Championship - other than a “Big East” crown. ( big yip on that).

Reaction Score
The world of College women's basketball has changed. South Carolina has lots of big, strong, physical women. They basically beat us up. They literally said their plan was to "wear Paige down" and it worked. 3 games in rapid succession where Paige played a lot of minutes and she had big, strong players pounding on her in waves. South Carolina just recruits bigger, stronger, hungrier players. Geno recruits better mannered kids with lots of skill. He knows he needs to adjust and next year's recruits reflect that. Patterson and Brady are nice kids for sure but they are also big and strong. They are going to need to be. Look at the way Amihere plays. She basically tosses people out of her way.

Reaction Score
When was the last time UConn team that had a truly dependable bench? I think this year's team has the talent to go 8-9 deep but the players need the minutes to prove it......
Largely agree. To me playing time should be a byproduct of how the player performs in practice and the games. Early in the season that should be weighted far more on practice. These players have had plenty of time to show what they can do in practice. It is a large body of work by the time the season begins.

Players who have proven over months that they are worthy of being in the rotation should not lose that status because they make one mistake in the first two minutes of a game, and then are not given an opportunity to redeem themselves, or show the positive contributions they could make.

If after 5-10 games of getting regular minutes that player is clearly under-performing in games compared to practice, then adjust accordingly. A few minutes of bad game performance should not offset a few months of practice in judging a player this early in the season.

Reaction Score
Largely agree. To me playing time should be a byproduct of how the player performs in practice and the games. Early in the season that should be weighted far more on practice. These players have had plenty of time to show what they can do in practice. It is a large body of work by the time the season begins.

Players who have proven over months that they are worthy of being in the rotation should not lose that status because they make one mistake in the first two minutes of a game, and then are not given an opportunity to redeem themselves, or show the positive contributions they could make.

If after 5-10 games of getting regular minutes that player is clearly under-performing in games compared to practice, then adjust accordingly. A few minutes of bad game performance should not offset a few months of practice in judging a player this early in the season.
UCONN (Geno) is VERY selective in the players he persues.
Tracks them years before they can commit.
I’ll assume that he utilizes certain criteria.
Is it an accurate observation that he cannot ‘accumulate’ more than 6-8 players that, for any given year, can ‘learn’ his system, or develop under his tutelage to the level that he requires/projected?
I am not understanding why, with all of the talent available, he is unable to develop, at one time, more than a small handful of players that can produce on the floor.
Granted, he doesn’t get every player he goes after.
But he does get many of the top rated prospects.
If only 8 players deserve/are capable of earning playing time, that means nearly half of the team are incapable or not as ‘advertised’.
Is it his recruiting criteria?
Is it his offensive scheme?
Is it his coaching technique?
To be redundant of my post elsewhere here:
Friday’s action:
SC: 21 point win, used 12 players, nonstarters got 79 minutes.
UCONN: 25 point win, used 9 players, nonstarters got 41 minutes.
I know, I know, players earn it in practice, yada..yada..yada..
Tell it to the Judge when crunch time comes in a Tourney game and there’s no one he “trust” to sub.
Please someone tell me how the highly regarded ( and touted) Ducharme earns only 5 minutes in a rollover?
This is player development?
I’m not a big Staley fan (at all), but she is developing a roster that will totally out (man) and grind up UCONN with waves of fresh players in THE big game(s).

There are many insightful fans here.
Please tell me.
I wanna know.

Reaction Score
Is it an accurate observation that he cannot ‘accumulate’ more than 6-8 players that, for any given year, can ‘learn’ his system, or develop under his tutelage to the level that he requires/projected?
I am not understanding why, with all of the talent available, he is unable to develop, at one time, more than a small handful of players that can produce on the floor.
If only 8 players deserve/are capable of earning playing time, that means nearly half of the team are incapable or not as ‘advertised’.
Friday’s action:
Tell it to the Judge when crunch time comes in a Tourney game and there’s no one he “trust” to sub.
Please someone tell me how the highly regarded ( and touted) Ducharme earns only 5 minutes in a rollover?
I’m not a big Staley fan (at all), but she is developing a roster that will totally out (man) and grind up UCONN with waves of fresh players in THE big game(s).

Please tell me.
I wanna know.
I do not know the answer, but this is what I think. Fans are frustrated with a 4-1 team that won its last game by 25 points. One reason is we are spoiled by past success, which is not a guarantee of future success. Second, we expected last year's starters to improve but only Paige has. Third the incoming group included two highly skilled freshman and a transfer that were expected to have an almost immediate impact. They have not.
I believe we should start Dorka and Liv, we need the offense and she is our most skilled big player. Also she is actually tall and lean , not big like Aliyah. As long as Azzi is out Caroline must be our first guard off the bench. She has already impressed in practice she has to play without whiplash from Genos hook. As PB backup Nika will get very little game time until she sinks some shots and completes a drive to the basket.
I do not intend to be critical of the individual players, Just noting what I think I see.

Reaction Score
Why wouldn't Geno have a shorter bench?

I wouldn't be surprised if he has had many more 1st team All-Americans than the both of them combined.

So there is nothing wrong with playing your 1st team All-Americans more and winning more championships, and getting to more final fours while doing so, is there?

So while it's nice that they have integrated their benches more, but it's much nicer that UCONN has won many more championships even though Geno plays a shorter bench, right?
This is 100% true. But not without risks. At some point when your gameplan isn’t working you ended up looking really desperate when you sub in someone who is overmatched/inexperienced etc because 40 point wins versus Tulsa. When it works it works great. Look at the record. It’s unmatched. When it doesn’t work it looks like you weren’t prepared. I can accept when my team loses just hate when they can’t make adjustments and or look ill prepared. Arizona last year versus Miss St and Notre Dame 2017 and ‘18.

sun

Reaction Score
There's politics involved with coaching too.
Geno tends to deflect when he cryptically criticizes team performance by calling them stubborn without being specific about who or what actions that he's talking about.
We don't know who is stubborn or what anyone did that was stubborn, what he told them or her to do that they didn't do that was stubborn.
A fan can only laugh it off that he's putting an exclamation point on a vague statement that "they lost big time" even though UConn has all the same starters from last year.
He's predictable in that he's basically committed to playing the seniors & the upper classmen, and he's not going to take chances on putting in experimental sub packages in a game that's getting out of hand.
Whether he should have an emergency backup plan in the event that the team falls behind because of an offensive meltdown with 6 minutes left in game is almost radical.
We can only speculate why he doesn't have a plan to insert some package that would force the other team to only shoot from the outside, which they were making all of their shots anyway.
Can Olivia and Pliath be inserted with Dorka or Edwards at the same time to control the boards for 3-4minutes to change the flow of the game?
That's radical speculation but UConn wasn't fouling them either.
Can those bigs handle making passes to our outside shooters?
Can they draw or make a few fouls on the inside that we can afford to give in order to get possession without us falling further behind?
There's experimentation that can happen in a BE blow out game that would give Geno some new sub packages that might work against a good team, where we need to have a radical response team, or a SWAT package to come in to remedy a game that's starting to get out of hand.
If such a configuration were possible to implement, Geno may be called crazy, and he's not a big risk taker at this early juncture of the season.
But there's eventualities that I'm sure Geno can envision where he could justify trying anything to alter the course of a game.
I'm not pretending that I know what I'm talking about.
But I do have a sincere belief that any player who is sitting on the UConn bench can be a potential savior of a game by making a key play or contribution.
Do I think that Geno thinks the same way about all of his bench players?
No I do not.
I don't like cryptic messages and I don't believe that SC is necessarily a better team.
If people think it's about controlling the boards then the UConn bench could provide an answer to that.
Can UConn make enough 3's to overcome their bigs?
Sure, if that's the package of subs that we need to have in the game.
Can Olivia sink some hook shots?
Sure she could, but does she or another big ever try?
Geno just needs to be willing to experiment, but we all know that he won't because it's not conventional.
And it doesn't make for good politics because if it didn't work the blame would be on him.
But if he doesn't do it then the team gets the blame for losing because they're the stubborn ones.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Friday’s action:

Please tell me.
I wanna know.
I agree with most of this post and this part in particular:

"
This is player development?"

He should tell Ducharme not to worry about being pulled because he believes in her and knows that she will be a major contributor over time. Just like they did with Dustrin Pedroia when he started out hitting around .100 for a month. They believed in him and he went on to rookie of the year and MVP.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom