Building Players the Good the Bad and the Ughly | The Boneyard

Building Players the Good the Bad and the Ughly

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well I would like to see more players get playtime too however some of them are not ready for prime time. In big games we saw that. In some of the games played already we saw the drop in execution and play when non starters got in the game. True they need time to acclimate themselves to the college game but dont expect 30 pt blow outs when they get time and dont expect in big games early in the season that they will respond like an upperclassman. Geno knows that and thats why in the SC game they didnt see alot of time. I would think that in some of the games coming up we will see more players play. Based on Geno's records with players making it big, with their improvement, with their growth from freshman to seniors, with his teams records and accomplishments I think he knows what he's doing and Im not saying some of these posts are insinuating he doesnt know what he's doing however it might be better to ask yourself why is he doing what he's doing because so far its working and Geno has sustained his winning ways for many many years.

For those of you who served in the military know what boot camp is like. They beat you down and build you back up to make you a better solider. You become part of the military team. Everybody is on the same page and you know what is expected of you. Well at UConn the beginning of the season is much like boot camp. The discipline is instilled into his players. There are no secrets, you know what is expected of you and what you need to do to win. Geno's running the show not the players and not their parents. On some other teams the best players run the show. Sometimes parents of players put in their two cents and try to run the show and thats totally wrong. I know because Ive seen it and Ive heard about it. Yeah I cringe when I hear what he says about players having a poor game but you know what? He gets their attention and they respond. Sometimes they gotta grow up and sometimes they need to hear it to get stronger. When they respond positively he tells them and makes them feel special. The recognition he gives them is worth more when he builds them up because of what they went through to get there. Listen to the old players on the early teams and what they say about Geno. They love him because of what theyve become. He knocks them down and builds them up to be something most of them never thought they could become. Becoming successful take courage, building of self esteem, being able to take a punch and bouncing back. Thats what makes you great. Its not handing you a reward for trying. You've got to be strong and Geno makes you strong so you can handle the tuffest situations. Thats why winners win and losers lose.

This team has alot of talent and has alot more talent coming in over the next couple of seasons. We gonna be better because of Genos teachings. I cant wait for March but I will enjoy the development of this teams over the next few months as I see us compete for another National Championship.

Reaction Score
Well I would like to see more players get playtime too however some of them are not ready for prime time. In big games we saw that. In some of the games played already we saw the drop in execution and play when non starters got in the game. True they need time to acclimate themselves to the college game but dont expect 30 pt blow outs when they get time and dont expect in big games early in the season that they will respond like an upperclassman. Geno knows that and thats why in the SC game they didnt see alot of time. I would think that in some of the games coming up we will see more players play. Based on Geno's records with players making it big, with their improvement, with their growth from freshman to seniors, with his teams records and accomplishments I think he knows what he's doing and Im not saying some of these posts are insinuating he doesnt know what he's doing however it might be better to ask yourself why is he doing what he's doing because so far its working and Geno has sustained his winning ways for many many years.

For those of you who served in the military know what boot camp is like. They beat you down and build you back up to make you a better solider. You become part of the military team. Everybody is on the same page and you know what is expected of you. Well at UConn the beginning of the season is much like boot camp. The discipline is instilled into his players. There are no secrets, you know what is expected of you and what you need to do to win. Geno's running the show not the players and not their parents. On some other teams the best players run the show. Sometimes parents of players put in their two cents and try to run the show and thats totally wrong. I know because Ive seen it and Ive heard about it. Yeah I cringe when I hear what he says about players having a poor game but you know what? He gets their attention and they respond. Sometimes they gotta grow up and sometimes they need to hear it to get stronger. When they respond positively he tells them and makes them feel special. The recognition he gives them is worth more when he builds them up because of what they went through to get there. Listen to the old players on the early teams and what they say about Geno. They love him because of what theyve become. He knocks them down and builds them up to be something most of them never thought they could become. Becoming successful take courage, building of self esteem, being able to take a punch and bouncing back. Thats what makes you great. Its not handing you a reward for trying. You've got to be strong and Geno makes you strong so you can handle the tuffest situations. Thats why winners win and losers lose.

This team has alot of talent and has alot more talent coming in over the next couple of seasons. We gonna be better because of Genos teachings. I cant wait for March but I will enjoy the development of this teams over the next few months as I see us compete for another National Championship.
Tony do you think Tara and Dawn allow their players or parents to run the show? I don't think so yet both appear to integrate their bench players into the program earlier and somewhat more effectively than Geno does with pretty good results......

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Tony do you think Tara and Dawn allow their players or parents to run the show? I don't think so yet both appear to integrate their bench players into the program earlier and somewhat more effectively than Geno does with pretty good results......
Charlie I do know of coaches where it does happen. Tara and Dawn I dont know about but yes there are other coaches where it does happen. As far as their good results they do get good results however Geno has won more NC's and has more records then both of them combined

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Charlie I do know of coaches where it does happen. Tara and Dawn I dont know about but yes there are other coaches where it does happen. As far as their good results they do get good results however Geno has won more NC's and has more records then both of them combined
Yes, but when was his last one? It's time to get up to date. A supposedly once in a lifetime talent like Fudd is having trouble getting off the bench. Do you think that would be happening if she was elsewhere? It's not the coach so much as it is the system is out of date. When was the last time UConn's half-court offense worked well against another top five team?

Reaction Score
Yes, but when was his last one? It's time to get up to date. A supposedly once in a lifetime talent like Fudd is having trouble getting off the bench. Do you think that would be happening if she was elsewhere? It's not the coach so much as it is the system is out of date. When was the last time UConn's half-court offense worked well against another top five team?
When was the last time UConn team that had a truly dependable bench? I think this year's team has the talent to go 8-9 deep but the players need the minutes to prove it......

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
While I agree some bench players are not seeing as many minutes as might be expected from their HS rankings and I hope that changes , Azzi has been getting significant playing time as 1st or second off the bench. Even in those games, Azzi was being exposed defensively to different degrees. but Geno kept her on the court paying off against USF. When SC went after her time after time, it was really not possible to keep her on the court and being beaten defensively probably affected her offensive mindset. This issue with defense may be injury related based on Geno's comments so I hope that issue is solved in quick time.

Finally, if read - react motion offense where screening and cutting is emphasized is out of date, just let me out at the corner. I think most of the player difficulties are due to an increasing level of pressure to maintain the UConn history which no other team has and it makes playing loose and free very difficult. It takes a mental toughness that has to be built over time starting on the practice court and not every player has it.

Reaction Score
Yep compared to them he is out of date. Dawn has had 1 title and 3 final fours in the last 6 years (7 if counting the cancelled championship), Tara has had 2 final 4s and one championship (included in the FF #s). On the other hand Geno's team reached 6 final 4s and had 2 championships. Sure looks like he has lost relevance compared to them or anyone else :rolleyes:. Or do you selectively limit the time period of recent to maybe 1 year so you can try to make a weak point.

by the way I selected 6 because if I picked 5 both Geno and Dawn would have lost a FF, and Geno a championship and if I went one more Tata and Geno would have both had one more FF and Geno another championship.

Last edited:

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Things feel a little different this year. Why?

Well, we don`t lose much in the regular season. And we are certainly not used to losing early in the season. On top of that there is way, way, way too much time between the South Carolina game and our next game.

The South Carolina loss is the first time UConn has lost a game before the first of the year since 11/17/2014, an overtime loss to Stanford.

From the beginning of the 2015-2016 season to date, UConn has a grand total of 7 regular season losses. SC twice, Baylor twice, Arkansas, Oregon, Louisville.

The game following a loss has generally been very one-sided, 20 point plus margins of victory in 6 of the games and a 10 point margin in the other. More significantly, I think, that second game generally occurred fairly soon after the loss. 2 days later twice, 3 days later three times, 4 days later once, 6 days later once.

We are now at 8 days and counting since the South Carolina loss. It will be 11 days when UConn finally takes the floor against Seton Hall.

Way too much time for us UConn fans to perseverate, I think. Cruel and unusual punishment.

On top of all that, we are, for lack of a better word, a bit disoriented by what we have seen. We expected a very deep team and that has not yet materialized, for whatever reason. Some new and returning players also have us scratching our heads. We wonder when Aubrey will finally be back on the floor, and whether she will provide some answers. We wonder about some other injuries, or maybe just aches and pains, mentioned almost in passing, and whether they are affecting performance to any significant degree. We may need to remind ourselves that the third game in three days might not be the best measuring rod. So, lots to perseverate about. And the season is only about one-tenth of the way through.

UConn is now coming up on a stretch of four games in eight days, thank God. Quality opponents, but all games that UConn should win. And, it will give us 160 new minutes of basketball to dissect. Whatever our perspectives today, they will be different by December 11. I am not savvy enough to predict exactly how but I`m pretty sure it will be for the better.

Reaction Score
When SC went after her time after time, it was really not possible to keep her on the court and being beaten defensively probably affected her offensive mindset.
Maybe it was possible to keep playing her, maybe Geno could have switched defenses to some kind of zone. I'd be happy if she could continue to acquire minutes to get her shot warmed up and give her more time to adjust to the game. I envy how many players that other top coaches get into the game.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's Geno's fault. It's early in the season. Azzi has a foot injury. You might find interesting this UCTV interview posted today.

In the video Greg Mengel, one of the UConn practice players for the women's team, says Azzi still looks like a freshman on the court and is half a step slow. But that she has "all the talent in the world and she just needs to have the confidence in herself." In other words, she'll be fine. She's already getting a lot of minutes and will get more. Geno has big plans for her.

Reaction Score
Um, I believe Tara went 25+ years between titles! Did she somehow forget how to coach all those years? Geno won his last one in 2016. Dawn won her last (and only) one in 2017. Does that mean if she doesn’t win this year you’ll be questioning whether she has let the game pass her by as well? Look, it’s not impossible that Geno, or any coach could get complacent/lazy/out of date. Clearly that can, and has happened before. However, to assume something like that after 4 games is a bit of a stretch imo. If you (and others) are right, we all will see it in living color over the next few months. However, I’m betting we will see something else in living color. I think we’re about to see a dominant run (once again) to the FF and (hopefully) to a national championship!

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Um, I believe Tara went 25+ years between titles! Did she somehow forget how to coach all those years? Geno won his last one in 2016. Dawn won her last (and only) one in 2017. Does that mean if she doesn’t win this year you’ll be questioning whether she has let the game pass her by as well? Look, it’s not impossible that Geno, or any coach could get complacent/lazy/out of date. Clearly that can, and has happened before. However, to assume something like that after 4 games is a bit of a stretch imo. If you (and others) are right, we all will see it in living color over the next few months. However, I’m betting we will see something else in living color. I think we’re about to see a dominant run (once again) to the FF and (hopefully) to a national championship!
It was not after four games. It includes the past four seasons. When was the last time UConn played well against a top five team? If they have let me know when. The difference between UConn and other schools is, per what I have read on the BY, other schools play to win, UConn plays to win NC. Not my thinking. It's what I read on the BY. It must be right. Other teams want to win NC, at UConn it is expected.

Reaction Score
It was not after four games. It includes the past four seasons. When was the last time UConn played well against a top five team? If they have let me know when. The difference between UConn and other schools is, per what I have read on the BY, other schools play to win, UConn plays to win NC. Not my thinking. It's what I read on the BY. It must be right. Other teams want to win NC, at UConn it is expected.
Last year against South Carolina?

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Last year against South Carolina?
No. Their offense struggled against SC. In a way what you say is good because it shows expectations are not as high as in past years. Compare last season's win to the wins UConn had when SC had Wilson. Those games were well played and not close. UConn does not beat good teams like that anymore and it is time some posters realize that. Today if UConn wins by less than double figures some say they played a bad game. I don't think that is fair to the team or the coaches.

Reaction Score
The game is changing. It’s been a long time since a NC. If you are going to recruit top players, develop them. And Tara has more wins than Geno. It is why we needed to play more games early so we can find out the strengths and weaknesses of players and have more time to help them develop. Also to keep a pooped team from scoring only 3 points in the 4th quarter. The other team I follow subs early and often and those fresh troops attack, attack, attack.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The game is changing. It’s been a long time since a NC. If you are going to recruit top players, develop them. And Tara has more wins than Geno. It is why we needed to play more games early so we can find out the strengths and weaknesses of players and have more time to help them develop. Also to keep a pooped team from scoring only 3 points in the 4th quarter. The other team I follow subs early and often and those fresh troops attack, attack, attack.
What is wrong with you? Just drop the pretense of being a UConn "fan" already. Go root for the team that you actually like. Ya know, the one that has only made one NCAAT in the last 17 years, yet somehow their coach is now superior to Geno.

Tara went almost 30 years without winning a NC. Did you jump all over her at some point in those three decades as having let the game pass her by?

Tara has a few more wins than Geno because she started head coaching 7 years earlier. Which one has more national titles? More Final Fours? More NCAA Tournament wins? Please, go and count them and then report the data back to us.

But above all, stop pretending to be a UConn fan because the evidence shows that you're anything but.

Reaction Score
Why wouldn't Geno have a shorter bench?

I wouldn't be surprised if he has had many more 1st team All-Americans than the both of them combined.

So there is nothing wrong with playing your 1st team All-Americans more and winning more championships, and getting to more final fours while doing so, is there?

So while it's nice that they have integrated their benches more, but it's much nicer that UCONN has won many more championships even though Geno plays a shorter bench, right?

Reaction Score
Is there a litmus test for people who are mainly just fans of college basketball? I watch every Uconn game but I also like SC, Stanford and other teams. Who can't see that photo of the heartbreak in Boston's face after losing last year and not be compelled? That was ANGUISH. That was almost like losing a child level of loss. That girl gives everything she's got. Who cannot be a fan of that? Uconn has compelling human interest stories as well. I think everyone here roots for Uconn and if we get beat by a better team then so be it. If Boston wills her team to the top then she will have earned it. About 1/2 of us projected a SC win before the last game by the way. Does that mean we are all SC fans? Maybe we are just more objective analysts.

Reaction Score
Being a Uconn fan is like being a Yankees fan. Uconn is EXPECTED to win. Sometimes it takes the fun out of it. These girls are not seasoned, 30 year old, all star athletes though. They are the ones who have to perform and the pressure on them must be insufferable. I'm interested in Uconn for the human interest. For the anguish as well as the exultation. It's all part of the human condition and it's all compelling.

Reaction Score
Is there a litmus test for people who are mainly just fans of college basketball? I watch every Uconn game but I also like SC, Stanford and other teams. Who can't see that photo of the heartbreak in Boston's face after losing last year and not be compelled? That was ANGUISH. That was almost like losing a child level of loss. That girl gives everything she's got. Who cannot be a fan of that? Uconn has compelling human interest stories as well. I think everyone here roots for Uconn and if we get beat by a better team then so be it. If Boston wills her team to the top then she will have earned it. About 1/2 of us projected a SC win before the last game by the way. Does that mean we are all SC fans? Maybe we are just more objective analysts.
please don't compare a sporting event to a loss of a child, that's so stupid. Would rather Uconn lose 100 in a row than lose a child of mine.

Reaction Score

I wouldn't be surprised if he has had many more 1st team All-Americans than the both of them combined.

So there is nothing wrong with playing your 1st team All-Americans more and winning more championships, and getting to more final fours while doing so, is there?

So while it's nice that they have integrated their benches more, but it's much nicer that UCONN has won many more championships even though Geno plays a shorter bench, right?
I would like to point out that “won” is the past tense of the word “win”.
How many National Titles UCONN has won in the past, has no bearing on this season.
If you truly believe Coach can win it all mainly on the backs of the starting five, I think you’re in for a rude awakening.
Prepare for more gassed, flat 4th quarters.
But enjoy this weekend’s decimation of a third rate opponent.
It will certainly make many think that all is well.

Reaction Score
No. Their offense struggled against SC. In a way what you say is good because it shows expectations are not as high as in past years. Compare last season's win to the wins UConn had when SC had Wilson. Those games were well played and not close. UConn does not beat good teams like that anymore and it is time some posters realize that. Today if UConn wins by less than double figures some say they played a bad game. I don't think that is fair to the team or the coaches.
I don’t disagree with everything you’re saying. But I think it’s harsh to say that UConn didn’t play well. South Carolina was a very good defensive team.

Reaction Score

Nothing wrong with playing your "All American" starters as long as they are playing like All Americans.........sometimes they don't play up to standards and even when they do, All Americans need a break too.......look at the fourth quarter in the recent South Carolina game. If the starters had been given more of a breather perhaps, they wouldn't have been run off the court.......

Reaction Score
I would like to point out that “won” is the past tense of the word “win”.
How many National Titles UCONN has won in the past, has no bearing on this season.
If you truly believe Coach can win it all mainly on the backs of the starting five, I think you’re in for a rude awakening.
Prepare for more gassed, flat 4th quarters.
But enjoy this weekend’s decimation of a third rate opponent.
It will certainly make many think that all is well.
I would like to point out that what I spoke of is fact, right? And getting to Final Fours means nothing to you?

And I'm referring to what Geno has done. If I'm referring to what Geno has done. can you name the team that he coached that ever only played a starting 5? So when I say Geno has own using his current method why do you need to exaggerate and state I meant starting 5? You couldn't figure out I mean more than 5 just not a full blown bench?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom