OT: Bucket List Item | The Boneyard

OT: Bucket List Item

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have decided to add an item to my bucket list that will surely take a lifetime to complete. For those who know me, I am a college basketball junkie. Although the UCONN teams are my passion and devotion, I will watch any college basketball game especially on a snowy or rainy night with nothing else to do. So my bucket item is this: I want to see each of the 345 Division I basketball teams play on their home court. March Madness and league tournament games do not count. My preference would be an on-campus arena vs. the alternate big city arena . (like Gampel vs. XL Center). I am off to a roaring start with 6 teams. 1) UCONN at Gampel Pavillion. 2) Central CT at Kaiser Hall Arena 3). University of Hartford at the Chase Arena 4). Providence at the Dunkin Donuts Center (nothing on campus here) and 5) Quinnipiac at the TD Bank North Center. 6) Georgetown (Verizon Center). My spreadsheet is filled with 345 teams, their arena, league affiliation and the last column (YES or NO).

I am 56 years old so the odds are against me. At some point, I should run this by my wife.

Doable?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's doable.

(Or you'll die trying. In which case it won't matter beyond that point.)

Reaction Score
Greathusky said:
I have decided to add an item to my bucket list that will surely take a lifetime to complete. For those who know me, I am a college basketball junkie. Although the UCONN teams are my passion and devotion, I will watch any college basketball game especially on a snowy or rainy night with nothing else to do. So my bucket item is this: I want to see each of the 345 Division I basketball teams play on their home court. March Madness and league tournament games do not count. My preference would be an on-campus arena vs. the alternate big city arena . (like Gampel vs. XL Center). I am off to a roaring start with 6 teams. 1) UCONN at Gampel Pavillion. 2) Central CT at Kaiser Hall Arena 3). University of Hartford at the Chase Arena 4). Providence at the Dunkin Donuts Center (nothing on campus here) and 5) Quinnipiac at the TD Bank North Center. 6) Georgetown (Verizon Center). My spreadsheet is filled with 345 teams, their arena, league affiliation and the last column (YES or NO). I am 56 years old so the odds are against me. At some point, I should run this by my wife. Doable?

You could hold out until the P5 separates - trim 270 or so schools off your list in one swoop and your odds would improve quite a bit.

Early on, it's easy to make progress. The right long weekend in Boston could get you 7 or 8. But then eventually you have to drive 5 hours or hop in a puddle jumper just to see Montana State and it gets a little tougher.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You have no chance of doing it.

But beyond that, you don't want to.

At some point, you'll find yourself at Houston Baptist watching them host Incarnate Word wondering just why you threw your life away. Then you'll make your way back to your $29 a night hotel room in Cow Dick, Texas and drown yourself in the toilet.

Reaction Score

At some point, you'll find yourself at Houston Baptist watching them host Incarnate Word wondering just why you threw your life away. Then you'll make your way back to your $29 a night hotel room in Cow Dick, Texas and drown yourself in the toilet.

This a thousand times this.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Lets just say you could make it to 15 or so games a year at new arenas. You going to be able to celebrate much when you finish at at 80?

Reaction Score
It feels like I have participated in the ice water challenge here on the Boneyard.

The brutal truth of the horde had come forth loud and clear. I will change this task from a bucket list item to an interesting list to keep track of.

The image of drowning in Bone Dick, Texas was the clincher here.

Reaction Score
I have decided to add an item to my bucket list that will surely take a lifetime to complete. For those who know me, I am a college basketball junkie. Although the UCONN teams are my passion and devotion, I will watch any college basketball game especially on a snowy or rainy night with nothing else to do. So my bucket item is this: I want to see each of the 345 Division I basketball teams play on their home court. March Madness and league tournament games do not count. My preference would be an on-campus arena vs. the alternate big city arena . (like Gampel vs. XL Center). I am off to a roaring start with 6 teams. 1) UCONN at Gampel Pavillion. 2) Central CT at Kaiser Hall Arena 3). University of Hartford at the Chase Arena 4). Providence at the Dunkin Donuts Center (nothing on campus here) and 5) Quinnipiac at the TD Bank North Center. 6) Georgetown (Verizon Center). My spreadsheet is filled with 345 teams, their arena, league affiliation and the last column (YES or NO).

I am 56 years old so the odds are against me. At some point, I should run this by my wife.

Doable?

Definitely doable.

Reaction Score
I would think a more specialized list would be a better spend of your time and money. Instead of all those podunk teams and arenas farther down the food chain, why not make a list of things like:

A Duke/UNC game
The "Silent Night" game at Taylor University
The Maui Invitational
An Indiana game at Assembly Hall (coupled with a trip to the "Hoosiers" movie gym)
The Rock, Chalk, Jayhawk chant at Allen Fieldhouse.

Reaction Score
I would think a more specialized list would be a better spend of your time and money. Instead of all those podunk teams and arenas farther down the food chain, why not make a list of things like:

A Duke/UNC game
The Maui Invitational
An Indiana game at Assembly Hall (coupled with a trip to the "Hoosiers" movie gym)

Add the Pepperdine gym to it just because it's supposed to be the most beautiful campus around the US and the girls…….well you know!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
To be honest, I used to follow the REAL Big East and watch a lot of games but if you offered me free tickets and travel to any game that doesn't involve UConn I'm just not going.

Reaction Score
Add the Pepperdine gym to it just because it's supposed to be the most beautiful campus around the US and the girls…….well you know!
Also need to add;
The pit in New Mexico
Butler for the old fieldhouse
UNLV as excuse to go to Vegas
I'm sure there are a lot more...

Reaction Score
Might as well throw Oregon on the list, that way you can say you saw the fugliest court ever.

Reaction Score

A Duke/UNC game
The Maui Invitational

Yeah, I am liking this approach better. I will still keep my list just to keep track of places but now I will prioritize my visits based on the special places.

Besides my wife said no.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

Doable?
This is one of those things you just decide to do and write about later. Asking if it's possible dooms it to failure ie. you aren't really committed. Likewise, asking your wife, you aren't fully committed. Do it and tell us about it later, but don't ask permission. That's just looking for a 'No!' as you have already gotten.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I am a long time season ticket holder at a mid-major - I have seen them play road game at a few MAAC and formerly Northeastern rivals and I promise you that you do not want to see 'em all.

Definitely go to Conte Forum for a game - more people have climbed Everest than have scaled to an upper seat at Conte.

Hit some Ivy games, go to Philly and Duke and then go to the Caribbean on vacation like a normal person. I'll send you a postcard from a Marist - Niagara game and you'll know you made the right call.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Firstly, this comment above is epic and makes me appreciate the internet.

With Incarnate Word upsetting Nebraska last night, however, I think GreatHusky was onto something. Don't deter the man's dream. His wife may leave him. He may drown himself in a motel toilet. Or he may OD on arena nachos.

OR.....

He may just go down in sports travel history as the first human to see a D-I home game at all 351 arenas. That's what legends are made of. Book that trip to Cow Dick, TX, and enjoy that continental breakfast at the Red Roof Inn while you bask in the glory of sitting courtside at Houston Baptist the night before.

Feet on the floor. Eyes on the prize. GreatHusky, you have our respect.

Reaction Score
Thank you Dlctjnkie! Your post will be my inspiration!

So 6 more DI clubs were added last year so the number is now 351.

I will be tagging my tweets (@Greathusky) with #Operation351 as the journey continues.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

Doable?
Sounds like my brother in law's run a marthon in every state bucket list. He did complete a marathon in the 13 original colony states (can you name them?) and wisely stopped there. Perhaps you should pare your list down to just teams from the P5 conferences!!!

Reaction Score
Basketball is a winter sport so I would start with Hawaii, then California, Arizona, Florida, Nevada, New Mexico, etc.. (you get the picture).

If you don't finish your bucket list you will have had one of the best winter vacations for a few years in America. I also doubt you would be disappointed.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I've been to pretty much every gym in the NEC. I've been to a good number of the AE, old Big East and MAAC gyms.

It's impossible anyway but you would get 2 dozen in and come to your senses.

Reaction Score
Just out of curiosity what would the approximate cost of doing that be? I see a Maserati driving away to the horizon.

Reaction Score
Just out of curiosity what would the approximate cost of doing that be? I see a Maserati driving away to the horizon.
I have no clue about the cost but "experiences" are worth more than material stuff for me at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom