OT: Bucket List Item | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Bucket List Item

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You have no chance of doing it.

But beyond that, you don't want to.

At some point, you'll find yourself at Houston Baptist watching them host Incarnate Word wondering just why you threw your life away. Then you'll make your way back to your $29 a night hotel room in Cow Dick, Texas and drown yourself in the toilet.

Funniest post in the history of the Boneyard...

Reaction Score
To be honest, I used to follow the REAL Big East and watch a lot of games but if you offered me free tickets and travel to any game that doesn't involve UConn I'm just not going.

that's very unfortunate for you.

Reaction Score
Thank you Dlctjnkie! Your post will be my inspiration!

So 6 more DI clubs were added last year so the number is now 351.

I will be tagging my tweets (@Greathusky) with #Operation351 as the journey continues.
If you are really serious start looking through your address book now, send Xmas cards this year to those out of state with "I hope to see you soon" or similar message.

Then when you plan call them up and let them know you will be in town. I don't know what your budget is but home cooked meals beats hotel fare any day, plus its for one night. If tix are cheap then buy 2 and bring the local friend, leave the wife at the friends house. That will help build onto memories and break up the monotony.

Lastly try and get a sponsor (which may be hard) or contact the Courant/ESPN/CT Post, etc.. to blog it for them, not sure if you will be compensated or given a stipend. As you get going contact the press at the cities you are going to. Who knows if it blows up you could get freebies, perks or free entrances at arenas. Oh and it helps to keep the commitment. Either way it will turn into a job sooner or later at least look to get something out of it, especially when you go to South Dakota and there are only 50 people in the gym (including both teams) or when a bed bug finds its way into your luggage.

I'm no expert, have no experience with this stuff but I have stayed at a few Holiday Inns.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
A Duke/UNC game
The "Silent Night" game at Taylor University
The Maui Invitational
An Indiana game at Assembly Hall (coupled with a trip to the "Hoosiers" movie gym)
The Rock, Chalk, Jayhawk chant at Allen Fieldhouse.
The pit in New Mexico
Butler for the old fieldhouse
UNLV as excuse to go to Vegas
Conte Forum

Keeping track of the list for you.

My personal additions would be:

Utah State just for this:

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
I have similar aspirations as the OP, but I set myself a much more realistic goal to see a game at 100 D1 arenas. I'm currently at 57 having gone to Gonzaga @ Arizona and LBSU @ SDSU earlier this week while visiting the west coast. I definitely try to plan to see UConn games whenever possible, but as a fan of college basketball in general, my main goal is to find games that I think will be competitive to watch, even if they involve teams from the Big West or the SWAC. The SDSU game this week was a prime example.

I do agree with Fishy though that you definitely find some podunk arenas along the way but sometimes it's fun watching a game with 1000 ppl in the stands and being able to hear the shoes squeaking and coaches yelling on the sidelines.

I'm only 28 so I figure I have plenty of time to achieve my goal. Getting to all 351 schools when starting at 56 could be a bit challenging though unless you have unlimited time and money starting now.

I've covered a lot of Big Ten country and the midwest so if you need tips or advice about games out this way ever just let me know. Good luck in your quest.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
McCarthey:

And yes, McCarthey was definitely one of the highlights of the places I've been to so far. Went for the Illinois game 2 seasons ago and the place was crazy.

Reaction Score
If you travel a lot for your job, this is definitely doable. Otherwise, you'll probably need your retirement money to afford the travel, but best of luck trying it. Sounds like fun.

Reaction Score
I saw Rider defeat Hartford by 2 points tonight in Hartford. I try to get the best seats when I go and found myself with one of those seats on the court. I felt like Spike Lee but no player came by and high fived me. It is pretty cool being that close to the players on the floor.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
You guys should google Basketball Passport. Great way to log where you've been and see what's coming up near you.

Reaction Score
I starting using Basketball Passport to log my appearances. There are two cool features to this site.

You put in a date to display a map and list of all the Division 1 games in the country on that day.
Also, you can click on a starting point and ending point on a Unites States map with the start and end dates. You get a road trip report of games to see on the way.

http://bbpassport.com/

Reaction Score
Why? I don't care about the teams or league.

Because you miss out on seeing some awesome areans, towns, teams, and players. If you're not a college hoops fan and just a UConn fan then I guess it makes sense. Otherwise its a damn shame.

Reaction Score
You have no chance of doing it.

But beyond that, you don't want to.

At some point, you'll find yourself at Houston Baptist watching them host Incarnate Word wondering just why you threw your life away. Then you'll make your way back to your $29 a night hotel room in Cow Dick, Texas and drown yourself in the toilet.

I forgot about this post and how much I loved it.

Reaction Score
I started a blog to chronicle my journey to 351.

https://journeyto351.wordpress.com

You can track my progress at the Basketball Passport web site http://bbpassport.com/. Look for “greathusky” as my member name. This is great web site for tracking your games and planning future excursions.

I earned my Connecticut stamp and starting to move into the Northeast states.

Reaction Score
Don;t let anyone crush your dream. Get a powerball ticket for Weds drawing. It's almost a half billion. Or maybe you could Kickstart your quest. There are ways to fund this. Your wife likes to travel doesn't she?

Reaction Score
Don;t let anyone crush your dream. Get a powerball ticket for Weds drawing. It's almost a half billion. Or maybe you could Kickstart your quest. There are ways to fund this. Your wife likes to travel doesn't she?
My wife hates sports so it has been a challenge. She has been great with it so far but I will try to include her some of the future trips. She can go shopping. I will go to the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom