Brink to Stanford | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Brink to Stanford

Reaction Score
For all those saying, “how many NC have west coast schools won?” Consider this: Baylor hasn’t been beyond the Elite 8 since they won the NC in 2012, Tennessee hasn’t been anywhere near a NC since Candace Parker left, Texas hasn’t had much success despite their consistent top 25 ranking, South Caroline won its first NC in 2017, and Notre Dame won it’s second (and first in 17 years) NC this past season. All of these schools routinely get top ranked recruits, so it’s not surprising to see kids picking schools that are finally on the map of WCBB AND closer to where they grew up.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
This is not accurate.

In 2009, Stewart made the USA U16 team as a 14-year-old and started every game and averaged 9.6 points/game.

As I posted above, Stewart made the U17 world championship team in 2010, as a 15-year-old, started every game and was the 2nd leading scorer and rebounder on the team.

I was referring to the 2014 worlds. Obviously playing at the senior level is a lot different than playing at the junior level, but my point is is that Brink has a lot of upside and you can't undervalue her based on one tournament where she was playing with teammates all a year older than her. She was one of just three 2020 players on the roster, the others being Hailey Van Lith, who performed at about the same level as a Brink, and Bueckers who was stellar and is the #1 kid in her class.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I was referring to the 2014 worlds. Obviously playing at the senior level is a lot different than playing at the junior level, but my point is is that Brink has a lot of upside and you can't write her off based on one tournament. She was one of just three 2020 players on the roster, the others being Hailey Van Lith who performed at about the same level as a Brink, and Bueckers who was stellar and is the #1 kid in her class.
Dear Lord! In 2014 Stewie was 20, the only collegian, competing for minutes against a starting 5 that are locks to make the Naismith HOF. I still don't see the comparison!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I was referring to the 2014 worlds. Obviously playing at the senior level is a lot different than playing at the junior level, but my point is is that Brink has a lot of upside and you can't write her off based on one tournament. She was one of just three 2020 players on the roster, the others being Hailey Van Lith who performed at about the same level as a Brink, and Bueckers who was stellar and is the #1 kid in her class.

Wait, wut? You compared Stewart's experience as a 20-year-old college junior on the senior national team at the World Championships with Brink's experience on a U17 team? Saying that's comparing apples and oranges gives it too much credit, particularly when there are more (age) appropriate comparisons available.

Of course Brink has tremendous upside (can not believe I used this word) and no one here is denying that. It's the comparisons to Stewart that seem like a stretch.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Dear Lord! In 2014 Stewie was 20, the only collegian, competing for minutes against a starting 5 that are locks to make the Naismith HOF. I still don't see the comparison!

The comparison highlights that players take time to to adjust playing at the next level up. Brink is a young long 6-4 forward with natural athleticism and moves very well. Upside is huge. If she chose to attend UCONN, she would've made a big impact there with Geno's coaching.

Reaction Score
The comparison highlights that players take time to to adjust playing at the next level up. Brink is a young long 6-4 forward with natural athleticism and moves very well. Upside is huge. If she chose to attend UCONN, she would've made a big impact there with Geno's coaching.

you should know by now that the minute a recruit passes on UConn as in the case of (Amihere, Horston, Brink) they are sometimes devalued from being potential All-Americans to no big loss............I'm not exactly sure how that will work for Boston and/or Jones if they choose to go elsewhere .................

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Remember that Marta Sniezek is out with an injury so there will be a need/opportunity for from Jenna Brown and/or junior Anna Wilson to get some floor time alongside sophomore Kiana Williams (who strikes me as a bit more of shoot-first pg who could probably slide over to off-guard).

Didn't realize Sniezek is injured, thanks for the info. Agree about Williams.

Reaction Score
For those of you that are worried about how this may impact other potential Uconn recruits, Ms Brink plays her AAU ball for Cal Stars, whose roster also includes one Ms Haley Jones. Of course, Oregon also has a former Cal Stars player by the name of Sabrina Ionescu who may also be whispering in Ms. Jones' ear

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Brink is rail-thin, very athletic, runs like the wind, and very skilled if raw. She rebounds, blocks shots, is an excellent passer, has terrific feet, and has post-up and shooting abilities. I'd like to think it's fair to compare those aspects of her to Stewart without the assumption that she's as good a prospect. Stewart was maybe a once-in-a-generation type. Brink can be really good-- and similar--without being at the same level.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
For those of you that are worried about how this may impact other potential Uconn recruits, Ms Brink plays her AAU ball for Cal Stars, whose roster also includes one Ms Haley Jones. Of course, Oregon also has a former Cal Stars player by the name of Sabrina Ionescu who may also be whispering in Ms. Jones' ear
Please.......
1540841685486.png

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Brink is rail-thin, very athletic, runs like the wind, and very skilled if raw. She rebounds, blocks shots, is an excellent passer, has terrific feet, and has post-up and shooting abilities. I'd like to think it's fair to compare those aspects of her to Stewart without the assumption that she's as good a prospect. Stewart was maybe a once-in-a-generation type. Brink can be really good-- and similar--without being at the same level.
There are plenty of players that at a similar age displayed the same skill set as Brink -who is no doubt a terrific prospect. Enough players so that Stewie's name should never have come up.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
There are plenty of players that at a similar age displayed the same skill set as Brink -who is no doubt a terrific prospect. Enough players so that Stewie's name should never have come up.

Big-time talents get compared to greats in some form or fashion. That's just the way it is. You think all those Bueckers/Taurasi comparisons--made by Geno himself!--are an accident? And that's a far more literal comparison in terms of total player whereas really only Brink's body type and skill set are being compared to Stewart. There were a ton of Maya Moore comps to Megan Walker the last year plus around here if you recall.

Oh, and I shouldn't forget that Azzi Fudd is getting many Maya comps at 15/16 years old.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Former University of Connecticut star and current USA head coach Carla Berube thinks so highly of her.

"She's awesome," Berube said. "Her ceiling is so high. She's gotten so much better as a player since last year, especially her confidence. She's like a quiet assassin out there." Berube once compared Azzi to Maya Moore and Diana Taurasi in an ESPN article last year.

Va. basketball phenom lives up to the hype

Reaction Score
Stewie was (and is) a once in a generation player and while Brink got a great potential, she is not close to Stewie in the same age. PB and DT and Fudd and Maya are not bad comparisons as both PB and Fudd are in somewhat close proximity to DT and Maya in similar ages.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Stewie was (and is) a once in a generation player and while Brink got a great potential, she is not close to Stewie in the same age. PB and DT and Fudd and Maya are not bad comparisons as both PB and Fudd are in somewhat close proximity to DT and Maya in similar ages.

Apples and oranges. Brink has not, to my knowledge, been compared to Stewart as an overall prospect. There are similarities in of certain aspects of her game as well as her body frame. That's different than someone saying Bueckers is better than Taurasi at the same age.

I think people forget that while Stewart was undeniably talented at a young age she was also quite uncoordinated and an inconsistent offensive player. She had great potential as a high school sophomore but had a long way to go. Well Brink, while likely never being Stewart, is similar.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

Can you name 2-3 of these players? Not sure why it's upsetting to have Stewart's name brought up as a comparison.

Reaction Score
Can you name 2-3 of these players? Not sure why it's upsetting to have Stewart's name brought up as a comparison.

It's like comparing a really good boy's high school player to Kevin Durant...........he could be the same height, extremely athletic and have great range on his shot but the odds of him ever being anywhere near as good as Durant are highly unlikely.........

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
It's like comparing a really good boy's high school player to Kevin Durant......he could be the same height, extremely athletic and have great range on his shot but the odds of him ever being anywhere near as good as Durant are highly unlikely....

Sure, but nobody that I know of is making a direct comparison between Brink and Stewart.

Interesting that you bring up Durant because that's a player Geno and CD compared Stewart to, at least in terms of skill sets and size. Dailey also threw in Dirk Nowitzki's name. Stewie will never be as good as those guys but I understood the comparison being made.

Reaction Score
Sure, but nobody that I know of is making a direct comparison between Brink and Stewart.

Interesting that you bring up Durant because that's a player Geno and CD compared Stewart to, at least in terms of skill sets and size. Dailey also threw in Dirk Nowitzki's name. Stewie will never be as good as those guys but I understood the comparison being made.
Stewie will never be as good as those guys? yes, she will comparably as a female basketball player! he is an Olympian, 2 times world champion, a WNBA champion, a WNBA season and championship MVP, 4 times college champion, etc.all by the age of 24...you can make the argument that she is way better than both KD and Dirk at similar ages!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Stewie will never be as good as those guys? yes, she will comparably as a female basketball player! he is an Olympian, 2 times world champion, a WNBA champion, a WNBA season and championship MVP, 4 times college champion, etc.all by the age of 24...you can make the argument that she is way better than both KD and Dirk at similar ages!

Well, you're comparing her mostly from a success standpoint. I'm talking about as a player in general. I'd put her up against quite a few guys but not the Durants and Nowitskis of the world.

Reaction Score
Well, you're comparing her mostly from a success standpoint. I'm talking about as a player in general. I'd put her up against quite a few guys but not the Durants and Nowitskis of the world.
I would! her game on offense is more versatile than Dirk's and she is a much better on defense than Dirk ever was. KD is a harder comparison as he can do everything on offense and is probably better shooter than Stewie but on defense she is better then him (compatibly speaking).

Reaction Score
Nice pickup for Stanford. This is a very early commitment by Brink. The comparisons to Stewie even on the "surface level" needs to stop. Not sure this is a great loss for UCONN. Gusters is the post player UCONN is after in 2020 and DeBerry in 2021. If UCONN is successful in their pursuits Brink was not going to crack a UCONN post lineup of Boston, ONO, Gusters & DeBerry. And before @Charliebball chimes in, UCONN doesn't do contingency offers. BTW recall that it was 6'1" Fan Belibi that kept both Brunelle and Brink relegated to the bench at USA basketball U17 this summer.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Oh boy! Making even a slight comparison between Brink and Stewie is a no no, but go ahead and compare Stewie to KD. Got it. :rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sure. If you consider Bink's biggest accomplishment making the U17 team then the following list of post players by class also made USA basketball team at a similar age (U15-U18) and most if not all contributed more on those USA basketball teams than Brink did this past summer.
2011 Elizabeth Williams, Justine Hartman
2012 Immani Stafford
2013 Mercedes Russel
2014 Chatrice White
2015 Jessica Shepard, Kalani Brown
2016 Lauren Cox
2017 Sidney Cooks, Jade Williams
2018 Charli Collier, NaLyssa Smith, ONO, & Sedona Prince
2019 Kylee Watson
I'm always upset by such blatant inaccuracies. It like the time you likened Sylvia Fowles to Teaira McCowan.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom