Brink to Stanford | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Brink to Stanford

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Both Stewart and Brink played for USA Basketball's U17 world championship team during the summer before their junior year in high school. Stewart was 15 years old and Brink was 16. Although similarly built at the time, Stewart didn't struggle as much with the physicality of the game. In fact, Stewart was the 2nd leading scorer and rebounder on the USA team (Elizabeth Williams led the team). Brink didn't play much in Belarus. In the few minutes she played, she ran the floor well but was overmatched physically. I look forward to watching how her game develops.

Reaction Score
Stewie came to mind for me as well... but I didn’t want to make anyone upset! I agree that there are similarities, and if Cam keeps getting better and better, she can become a player similar to Stewie and Bonner who can handle the ball, defend the perimeter, and play both inside and out.

Brink definitely going to have to add the physical or toughness component regardless of what position/style she ends up playing. I add “or toughness” because DeWanna Bonner is thin but tough as nails and competes.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Not saying Brink is as good as Stewie. There are at least surface similarities.

Many on this board really wanted Brink in a UConn uniform, most are disappointed today. There is the inevitable, almost instantaneous "we didn't want her anyway" and "she's overrated" from a few that often pop up in recruiting threads on various boards. It's kinda funny. I guess we'll have to wait a while to find out how good she is.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Tara has a few comments she may regret. :rolleyes:

"6 Nykesha Sales"
"UConn [which just creamed us by 30] will not beat Tenn"

Yeah, I guess most people are going to stick their foot in their mouth from time to time.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Not saying Brink is as good as Stewie. There are at least surface similarities.

Many on this board really wanted Brink in a UConn uniform, most are disappointed today. There is the inevitable, almost instantaneous "we didn't want her anyway" and "she's overrated" from a few that often pop up in recruiting threads on various boards. It's kinda funny. I guess we'll have to wait a while to find out how good she is.

Who said that? One poster as best I can tell.

Reaction Score
Interesting. I wonder if Tara regrets making that comment. Yeah international players are definitely very common these days.
The world has gotten smaller. Tara, how do you feel about your kindred spirit Becky Hammon playing for the Russian national team?

Reaction Score
Tara's teams seem to play better if they are underdogs than when they are the favorites. Might be a residual carry over from when they were the favorites years back and were constantly getting hit with timely bad luck injuries that derailed their expected championship. It seemed after that that Tara was always waiting for the other shoe to drop when she was favored. She gets afraid to lose and that impacts her coaching. Perhaps the more recent interval of not being favored has changed her for the better.

Reaction Score
Southridge!! Nice pick up for Stanford. Should give Tara another Wing/Post player that could cause nightmares for the Pac 12.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Without any big Oregon names in 2020, the next big 2021 name is Aaronette Vonleh. Borther of former NBA Portland Trailblazer Noah Vonleh. Ranked #13 and #1 Post by hoopgurlz
It's weird how many PGs they have. I don't think Brown will have a real big impact this year, but maybe the following year. I'm wondering if Anna Wilson is ever gonna get significant minutes for them.

Remember that Marta Sniezek is out with an injury so there will be a need/opportunity for from Jenna Brown and/or junior Anna Wilson to get some floor time alongside sophomore Kiana Williams (who strikes me as a bit more of shoot-first pg who could probably slide over to off-guard).

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Nice pickup for Stanford. This is a very early commitment by Brink. The comparisons to Stewie even on the "surface level" needs to stop. Not sure this is a great loss for UCONN. Gusters is the post player UCONN is after in 2020 and DeBerry in 2021. If UCONN is successful in their pursuits Brink was not going to crack a UCONN post lineup of Boston, ONO, Gusters & DeBerry. And before @Charliebball chimes in, UCONN doesn't do contingency offers. BTW recall that it was 6'1" Fan Belibi that kept both Brunelle and Brink relegated to the bench at USA basketball U17 this summer.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
And also recall that Brink was one of the players who kept Gusters and DeBerry sitting at home:) they obviously saw something in Brink that they didn’t in either of those two hence why she was chosen to make the team.
That is a fair point. USA basketball made a decision to exclude Gusters, Baldwin, and DeBerry from that team. What they might have seen is Brink being the most mobile of the four players. That team was definitely "up-tempo" which may have made Brink a better fit. The opposite is true if we are talking (what I was actually thinking) better fit for UCONN post play.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Nice pickup for Stanford. This is a very early commitment by Brink. The comparisons to Stewie even on the "surface level" need to stop. Not sure this is a great loss for UCONN. Gusters is the post player UCONN is after in 2020 and DeBerry in 2021. If UCONN is successful in their pursuits Brink was not going to crack a UCONN post lineup of Boston, ONO, Gusters & DeBerry. And before @Charliebball chimes in, UCONN doesn't do contingency offers. BTW recall that it was 6'1" Fan Belibi that kept both Brunelle and Brink relegated to the bench at USA basketball U17 this summer.

Will touch on and maybe synthesize a few of these points, some of which I touched on in a post on The Bench, in regards to Brink's signing.

- "This is a very early commitment by Brink." You bet. Had read about some unofficial visits by Brink to various West Coast schools, but had not seen anything indicating she was ready to jump so early.
- "Not sure this is a great loss for UConn." In the post I wrote last night, just sub in "Notre Dame."
My reasoning is I'm not entire certain where Brink is going to end up playing in college. Will she fill out a bit and play in the post? Be a four? In the fall of 2020, ND will have Mik Vaughn and Danielle Cosgrove beginning their second year of eligibility and Sam Brunelle coming aboard at the 4.
- "Contingency" I'll look at the contingency reference from a "what if" planning perspective. The key to this for ND and, I believe, UConn is what happens with Aliyah Boston. If either squad procures Boston's commitment, no need for another post in 2020, even 2021. In ND's case, that's especially true (see Mik Vaughn above).
(BTW, if ND and Boston do not commit to one another, I'll wager one Kylee Watson's name may come up again in regards to the Irish. MM got to see a lot of her when she was scouting Alli Campbell on the Philly Belles this summer.)
- Reference to Fran Belibi. Not only does Stanford have the high-flying forward coming, they also have the 3rd rated center in 2019 (and #16 overall) in Ashten Prechtel. All 6'5" of her. So there will competition for floor time at the Ranch as well.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
That is a fair point. USA basketball made a decision to exclude Gusters, Baldwin, and DeBerry from that team. What they might have seen is Brink being the most mobile of the four players. That team was definitely "up-tempo" which may have made Brink a better fit. The opposite is true if we are talking (what I was actually thinking) better fit for UCONN post play.

Without digging into the archives, I seem to recall you making a point during tryouts that if a player makes the finals for the U.S. team (top 18), that is a great accomplishment in itself and the final selection often comes down to nuances, as you just pointed out. Thought that point was spot on then and still do. In regards to ND, I have no doubt that Alli Campbell making the final 18 caught Muffet's eye, which was probably confirmed over the summer on the AAU circuit.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Something the way she moves and her effortless athleticism reminds me of Stewie. Game wise I'm not sure but very exciting prospect for Stanford. She'll need to add some muscle before coming to college but her upside looks phenomenal.

For those devaluing her based on physical strength or the fact that she got little playing time with team USA, keep in mind that Stewart was relegated to the bench in international play earlier in her career for similar reasons, and now she's clearly one of the top players in the world. Brink can add muscle and develop. You can't teach natural athleticism and fluidity on the court in combination with her size and length. Huge upside for sure. Whether she ever comes close to reaching Stewart's abilities or not, no reason to be upset by a comparison.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
For those devaluing her based on physical strength or the fact that she got little playing time with team USA, keep in mind that Stewart was relegated to the bench in international play earlier in her career for similar reasons, and now she's clearly one of the top players in the world.

This is not accurate.

In 2009, Stewart made the USA U16 team as a 14-year-old and started every game and averaged 9.6 points/game.

As I posted above, Stewart made the U17 world championship team in 2010, as a 15-year-old, started every game and was the 2nd leading scorer and rebounder on the team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Without digging into the archives, I seem to recall you making a point during tryouts that if a player makes the finals for the U.S. team (top 18), that is a great accomplishment and the final selection often comes down to nuances, as you just pointed out. Thought that point was spot on then and still do. In regards to ND, I have no doubt that Alli Campbell making the final 18 caught Muffet's eye, which was probably confirmed over the summer on the AAU circuit.
This player also caught my eye at USA basketball trials.

Attachments

• Nixon.JPG
    Nixon.JPG
    522.7 KB · Views: 40
Reaction Score
It appears like the women's basketball center is shifting to the West Coast. The commit so soon after Kennedy Browns commit make me wonder if Brinks was waiting to see where she went. Perhaps Brinks was considering Oregon St and Browns commit sealed her choice?.
This is a very real possibility. In the past, it’s been Stanford and everyone else on the west coast, but with the emergence of other programs over the past few years, west coast schools might finally have something to pitch to highly ranked recruits. Besides Stanford, OSU, Oregon, and UCLA have been regulars to see in Sweet 16+ games. It’ll be interesting to see how long much of their success lasts.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nice pickup for Stanford. This is a very early commitment by Brink. The comparisons to Stewie even on the "surface level" needs to stop. Not sure this is a great loss for UCONN. Gusters is the post player UCONN is after in 2020 and DeBerry in 2021. If UCONN is successful in their pursuits Brink was not going to crack a UCONN post lineup of Boston, ONO, Gusters & DeBerry. And before @Charliebball chimes in, UCONN doesn't do contingency offers. BTW recall that it was 6'1" Fan Belibi that kept both Brunelle and Brink relegated to the bench at USA basketball U17 this summer.

I believe Brink is going to be really good.................certainly not Stewart level but good enough to have an impact at UConn...................in my opinion, the odds of getting Gusters out of Texas are about the same as they were for Brink...............it's certainly another fairly significant recruiting loss in my book..........

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom