Brink to Stanford | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Brink to Stanford

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'm waiting to see if Oregon progresses after Ionescu leaves before I consider them a perennial power...

That's definitely fair. Assuming she stays for 4 years they'll lose Ionescu and Hebard at the same time. Will be a big challenge for them to stay at the same level. OSU has had quite a bit of roster churn since they first started to rise and they've stayed at a high level, so that definitely wasn't attributable to 1 or 2 players.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
14 with a NCAA NC and 10 with a AIAW NC. There are only 5 NC West of the Rockies with both combined.

As a West Coast guy, I really wish there were more National Championships out West in all the major sports. There aren't, I can't deny it. There are some factors like less population and less schools out here, but those just sound like excuses. But hey, the West Coast has kicked butt if you look at the history of baseball, softball, men's and women's volleyball, rowing, track and field.....:rolleyes:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
As a West Coast guy, I really wish there were more National Championships out West in all the major sports. There aren't, I can't deny it. There are some factors like less population and less schools out here, but those just sound like excuses. But hey, the West Coast has kicked butt if you look at the history of baseball, softball, men's and women's volleyball, rowing, track and field.....:rolleyes:
Living in Vegas and I tend to agree with you. There is another factor also, it's the East Coast bias of the poll voters in most of the sports voting. Most of them don't watch any of the West Coast teams so they rarely rate them fairly.

Reaction Score
Terribly disappointing. Stanford may be a contender again in the near future.

Oh well, there's still Gusters, DeBerry, and Hollingshead.
Hailey Van Lith?
The 5-foot-7 point guard for Cashmere High School has her pick of the nation's top Division I programs, including Connecticut. She's long idolized Huskies royalty: Maya Moore, Diana Taurasi, Sue Bird and Breanna Stewart.

Reaction Score
Imagine Brink , Haley Jones and Hailey Van Lith all choosing stanford!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Imagine Brink , Haley Jones and Hailey Van Lith all choosing stanford!

2l6fma.jpg

Reaction Score
If I correctly remember, Van Lith released a news interview which did nit include Stanford. I think it was UConn, Oregon, Oregon St, Baylor, Notre Dame, Louisville, and UCLA

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Great get for Tara. If she can haul in 1-2 other elite players, we could see Stanford back as a title contender like they were from 2008-2012 when she had several top 5 kids on her teams (Ogwumikes, Pederson, Appel, Wiggins, etc.)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Stanford has continued to be a strong program throughout VanDerveer's tenure. To me they haven't had a truly elite player since Chiney left. They might finally have one again in Brink. Also I think Lexie Hull is going to be a terrific player for the Cardinal.

- Don't forget McDonalds All-American point guard Jenna Brown from Georgia.

They've been cherry picking top players from Oregon and Washington for as long as I can remember. McPhee just finished her career and now they have the Hull twins just getting started, all from Washington.

Fair enough. Now Tara seems to be turning her attention to the state of Colorado, in 2019 reeling in forward Fran Belibi and post Ashten Prechtel, who by the way is 6'5" tall. Looks like Coach T might be having the possibility of some twin towers, or at the very least some height to take on the very tall front-court arsenal Oregon State is amassing. And in 2020, there's pg Jana Van Gytenbeek to join Ms. Brink in that class and spell Ms. Brown.

Who's helping Coach T out in recruiting? There's some serious action going on the ranch.....and Ms. Jones has yet to make her decision. ;)

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
They've been cherry picking top players from Oregon and Washington for as long as I can remember. McPhee just finished her career and now they have the Hull twins just getting started, all from Washington.

Too true. Before the recent pipeline to Tennessee, it seemed as if every talented player from Oregon went to Stanford, several of them from what used to be a premier high school program in Oregon City. Given the less than stellar success that Nared et al. had (or are having?) at Rocky Top, the Stanford shuttle may be back in place. I just wish some of them would stay in state.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
- Don't forget McDonalds All-American point guard Jenna Brown from Georgia.

It's weird how many PGs they have. I don't think Brown will have a real big impact this year, but maybe the following year. I'm wondering if Anna Wilson is ever gonna get significant minutes for them.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Too true. Before the recent pipeline to Tennessee, it seemed as if every talented player from Oregon went to Stanford

I can't even remember all the names, but Jillian Harmon and Lindsey Yamasaki spring to mind. JJ Hones.

It would be nice to keep them home, but I'd much rather see them go to Stanford than Tennessee.

Reaction Score
Without any big Oregon names in 2020, the next big 2021 name is Aaronette Vonleh. Borther of former NBA Portland Trailblazer Noah Vonleh. Ranked #13 and #1 Post by hoopgurlz

Reaction Score
I agree about the Sam Brunelle thing to an extent. Brink is really, really athletic for 6’4” and I think thats the difference. She just lacks the bulk needed to play the 4 or 5 in college. If she can take some shooting lessons from her god-brother and become a little quicker, she may have a chance at developing as a 3, but she may want to be a 4. Dewanna Bonner comes to mind...

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
I can't even remember all the names, but Jillian Harmon and Lindsey Yamasaki spring to mind. JJ Hones.

It would be nice to keep them home, but I'd much rather see them go to Stanford than Tennessee.

I'll second that. I think that the Oregon City coach eventually went to Vanderbilt with (I think) his daughter, and the program has never been the same since.

One bit of trivia from the past: back when the Ducks had a decent basketball team under Jody Range n the late 90s (they tied for the Pac 10 title in 1998-99 and won it outright in 1999-2000, with 8 NCAA Tournament appearances during her tenure) the team featured a number of Australian players whom Tara labeled "mercenaries." (A couple of them still live in Eugene.) Runge was dismissed in 2001 amidst a great deal of controversy and the program basically went down the tubes until Graves's arrival (with, ironically, another international cast, although now that's become a widespread practice, even at Stanford.)

Reaction Score
In women's college basketball things like geography and social are still going to carry the day in many cases. More so than # of NC's, Final 4's and WNBA players (which given the meager compensation should be a low factor). It's just different from MBB where multi million dollar contracts are waiting for top players.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
the team featured a number of Australian players whom Tara labeled "mercenaries."

Interesting. I wonder if Tara regrets making that comment. Yeah international players are definitely very common these days.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I agree about the Sam Brunelle thing to an extent. Brink is really, really athletic for 6’4” and I think thats the difference. She just lacks the bulk needed to play the 4 or 5 in college. If she can take some shooting lessons from her god-brother and become a little quicker, she may have a chance at developing as a 3, but she may want to be a 4. Dewanna Bonner comes to mind...

I can't help but think of Stewie. Thin, long, versatile player who certainly wasn't a traditional 4 or 5 but did okay in college. :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom