Brink to Stanford | The Boneyard

Brink to Stanford

Reaction Score
It appears like the women's basketball center is shifting to the West Coast. The commit so soon after Kennedy Browns commit make me wonder if Brinks was waiting to see where she went. Perhaps Brinks was considering Oregon St and Browns commit sealed her choice?.

Reaction Score
Better than ND I suppose

that's disappointing but I always thought that it would be difficult to pry her away from the west coast................I have the same concern with Hailey Van Lith which may prove to be far more concerning next year...........

Reaction Score
For those who, like me, are not up to date on 2020...

Brink is #3 PN, #2 ESPNW

And she's from Oregon, so a very nice steal by the Card.

Reaction Score
It appears like the women's basketball center is shifting to the West Coast. The commit so soon after Kennedy Browns commit make me wonder if Brinks was waiting to see where she went. Perhaps Brinks was considering Oregon St and Browns commit sealed her choice?.

well I might not go that far yet.................there happen to be a number of really good west coast based recruits at the moment..............if Haley Jones and Hailey Van Lith both end up at Oregon or Stanford that would be a trend

Reaction Score
I’m not sure the time of this commitment deals with Brown or that fact that she took an unofficial visit there this weekend. I think Oregon, UConn, and Stanford were likely her finalists.

My guess for Hailey Van Lith is UConn with Oregon State as second. Haley Jones will definitely contribute the whether or not WBB is starting to gain equal prominence in the west.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
........as predicted. Brink was going to be a hard pull from the west coast. Good luck to her and congrats on the commitment. She will do well at Stanford with Tara.

Reaction Score
well I might not go that far yet.......there happen to be a number of really good west coast based recruits at the moment....if Haley Jones and Hailey Van Lith both end up at Oregon or Stanford that would be a trend
I was not going entirely on a few recruits in respect to my assessment about the rise of the West in basketball. The process has been developing for some time. The main factors I believe are that the level of very good coaches in the Pac 12. Their quality has increased exponentially in respect to the rest of the country. This results in an increase in good programs to choose from. Then you add the Pac 12 Network which broadcast a lot of games allowing fans and family to view games of players they want to follow. Just one factor but still important.

It is also not a coincidence that players who have transferred back west from major programs were the were key players. Except for Stanford, most of the better players who were focused on basketball tended to go East where the best basketball was played. That is the trend that appears to changing. The West presents more options now. California, Texas and Oregon are all WBB hot beds. If they, as it appears, are beginning to stay west that is major. Major talents like Haley Jones might still chose Uconn or ND, because of the quality of program and coaching, but as the west develops comparable programs that will change as well.

Reaction Score
UConn may possibly be going after Dalayah Daniels from Washington too. She listed UConn as a finalist this summer. 6-4 #13 HG PF

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I was not going entirely on a few recruits in respect to my assessment about the rise of the West in basketball. The process has been developing for some time. The main factors I believe are that the level of very good coaches in the Pac 12. Their quality has increased exponentially in respect to the rest of the country. This results in an increase in good programs to choose from. Then you add the Pac 12 Network which broadcast a lot of games allowing fans and family to view games of players they want to follow. Just one factor but still important.

It is also not a coincidence that players who have transferred back west from major programs were the were key players. Except for Stanford, most of the better players who were focused on basketball tended to go East where the best basketball was played. That is the trend that appears to changing. The West presents more options now. California, Texas and Oregon are all WBB hot beds. If they, as it appears, are beginning to stay west that is major. Major talents like Haley Jones might still chose Uconn or ND, because of the quality of program and coaching, but as the west develops comparable programs that will change as well.

I'll believe it when I see a team West of the Rockies win a Nation Championship (NC). If I remember correctly the last time a team West of the Rockies won a NC it was in 1992 and that was Stanford. There have only been 4 NC that were West of the Rockies and they were the following, USC with back to backs in 83 and 84 (CorrectedHead bang), and Stanford in 90 and 92. Only 11 NC have been West of the Mississippi. Two to Louisiana Tech, USC, Stanford, and Baylor, one to Texas, Texas Tech, and Texas A&M. If you want to add in the AIAW years of the NC then there ar two more, and they are Louisiana Tech and UCLA.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UConn may possibly be going after Dalayah Daniels from Washington too. She listed UConn as a finalist this summer. 6-4 #13 HG PF
Dalayah is a terrific prospect, have not seen her name associated with UCONN until now.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'll believe it when I see a team West of the Rockies win a Nation Championship (NC). If I remember correctly the last time a team West of the Rockies won a NC it was in 1992 and that was Stanford. There have only been 4 NC that were West of the Rockies and they were the following, USC with back to backs in 84 and 85, and Stanford in 90 and 92. Only 11 NC have been West of the Mississippi. Two to Louisiana Tech, USC, Stanford, and Baylor, one to Texas, Texas Tech, and Texas A&M. If you want to add in the AIAW years of the NC then there ar two more, and they are Louisiana Tech and UCLA.

A friendly minor correction: Trojans won the national championships in 1983 and 1984. :)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
'll believe it when I see a team West of the Rockies win a Nation Championship (NC). If I remember correctly the last time a team West of the Rockies won a NC it was in 1992 and that was Stanford.

That's certainly true. How many teams East of the Rockies other than UConn and Tennessee have won Championships? Not that many really. The two dominant programs throughout most of women's basketball history are back east, thus account for most of the Championships.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Stanford has continued to be a strong program throughout VanDerveer's tenure. To me they haven't had a truly elite player since Chiney left. They might finally have one again in Brink. Also I think Lexie Hull is going to be a terrific player for the Cardinal.

Reaction Score
That's certainly true. How many teams East of the Rockies other than UConn and Tennessee have won Championships? Not that many really. The two dominant programs throughout most of women's basketball history are back east, thus account for most of the Championships.

I'm waiting to see if Oregon progresses after Ionescu leaves before I consider them a perennial power.............

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Stanford has been getting elite talent from Oregon for years; not surprised. If a West region player prioritizes academics and is an elite athlete, Stanford is the #1 choice in that area (in just about all sports). if offered.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Stanford has been getting elite talent from Oregon for years; not surprised.

They've been cherry picking top players from Oregon and Washington for as long as I can remember. McPhee just finished her career and now they have the Hull twins just getting started, all from Washington.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Just having fun. Wish I was as knowledgeable etc as you recruiting mavens! :)

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

14 with a NCAA NC and 10 with a AIAW NC. There are only 5 NC West of the Rockies with both combined.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom