Brimah | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Brimah

Reaction Score
I am back in my little corner again.

We actually can play well with Brimah as our center. I have seen it ... and seen the difference with when he is not on the floor. For all his deficiencies - and they are abundant, that kid can raise the energy level of the other 4 and really that is our best 5 most nights.

What did you think of Meyer on Houston? (OT) at 6-10 240 he is a tinge under where Jake Voskuhl was and has little of the athleticism we have seen from the many rim protectors we love to talk about - which probably means we wouldn't take Meyer - but I loved his game.
He pushed Brimah around all night. It's one of the reason's we lost, got to the ball before Brimah could even react, always had much better position under the basket than Brimah did. Brimah did not have a clue on how to handle him.

Reaction Score
All makes sense to me. I was just asking if Brimah put in the work to improve his hands. If he did it didn't work. I guess my question then would be what did he do and why didn't it work? I'll ask him him what he did when I see him.

Yeah, my bad. I was taking out my frustrating on the OP at you. You're not insulting the kid, just asking.

It's honestly possible he just doesn't see his future as a long-term professional basketball player. He seems like the kind of guy who would go home to start a hoops program for kids in Ghana, or something, who knows. Maybe that's why we see the lack of development? Or it could be natural: he could lack the coordination and just not really have it to get it.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
He's definitely a value to the team, but IMO he is not a starter this year. Our best 5 are Jalen, Purvis, Enoch, Facey, and Vital or Jackson. He's first or second off the bench or maybe 3rd behind Durham in certain situations. The coaching staff is at fault here on a couple levels

...until Enoch has a bad outing, and then you'll say "what the hell was the staff thinking!" This happens all the time on this board from the same posters.

Here's the funny thing; everyone seems to agree that Enoch played a great 16 minutes yesterday. He had 1 rebound. ONE. Brimah had 8 rebounds during 24 minutes in what most people agree was a tough outing for him. But everyone is clamoring that the guy with 1 rebound was the answer to winning last night. The best part was when one poster on a thread said (paraphrase), "yeah, but they weren't important rebounds." :rolleyes:

This is primarily because many on the Boneyard see the game that they wish to see, and not the game that happened...

Reaction Score
...until Enoch has a bad outing, and then you'll say "what the hell was the staff thinking!" This happens all the time on this board from the same posters.

Here's the funny thing; everyone seems to agree that Enoch played a great 16 minutes yesterday. He had 1 rebound. ONE. Brimah had 8 rebounds during 24 minutes in what most people agree was a tough outing for him. But everyone is clamoring that the guy with 1 rebound was the answer to winning last night. The best part was when one poster on a thread said (paraphrase), "yeah, but they weren't important rebounds." :rolleyes:

This is primarily because many on the Boneyard see the game that they wish to see, and not the game that happened...
Yeah, whatever Dan. I know, everyone's a coach.

Reaction Score
Mixed emotions for this lovable giant. There is a always a comfort level having a swatter in the paint for excitement and we will miss that. A starter he was just not meant to be.....and a swatting he provided as a husky.
IMO, the greatest, most exciting swatter that ever donned a Husky shirt was not a giant.....but an incredible athlete who viciously stalked those who thought they had that easy breakway layup.....man, you could just feel the intensity of Scott Burrell.

Reaction Score
St

Still waiting for what makes him good. Asking questions that you and I cannot answer is not supporting your point. Maybe we lose those games, maybe we win? Who knows.

We're complaining because he's been the starting center for four years and makes the same exact mistakes. We complain because of his minimal improvement. We complain because of the pedestal guys like you put him on.

He seems like a great kid, passionate and clearly loves his university. I'll thank him for his services on the way out. But he was never a starting caliber player for a team with our expectations. There's nothing wrong with that fact.
What makes him good is the ability to totally dominate a game on the defensive side. He doesn't reach this level often, maybe 4 or 5 games a year, but that is his ceiling. For the majority of the games he is a plus player, more good than bad, high percentage scorer when he touches the ball on the offensive side, which isn't often, great shot blocker and rim protector on the defensive side when he isn't in foul trouble. There were a bunch of games where he was awful, but then that's true for everyone on this team, Adams included. There have been very few games this year when the opponent's center outplayed him, but that says as much about the AAC as it does about AB. There is no better option on this team at this point; blame the coaching staff for that, Amida didn't create the roster. If you think paying Enoch over AB at this point in time would have created more wins for this team, then we are not watching the same games.

Reaction Score
Phil Nolan plays overseas. Is he good?

FfrxP5C.gif

Reaction Score
Do we win the Memphis game without him? Do we win both the UCF games without him? Those questions are rhetorical, since we already know the answer. As well as the fact that there were other wins during the year that we just could not have without him.

If we didn't need him, then nobody on the board would complain when he gets into foul trouble after 10 minutes into the game. The reason that we all complain is because we all know that we DO need him on the court. Some of us are just more willing to admit it than others, I guess...

I couldn't disagree more. This season is a lost cause. About 10 games ago Brimah should have been glued to the bench the entire game so we could get Enoch 30 min of burn per night.

Also to your point about the games we won because of him.... I think the bigger question is how many games were lost "because of him." I would venture to guess that he contributed to far more losses than victories this season. In a season where we desperately needed him to step up. I'll just look at the non blowout losses. Houston 24 min 3 fouls 4 points 8 rebounds. Georgetown 6 min 5 fouls 3 points 3 rebounds. Auburn 27 min 3 fouls 6 points 2 rebounds. Ohio St 18 min 5 fouls 8 points 6 rebounds. Tulsa 37 min 3 fouls 8 points 9 rebounds. Oregon 26 min 3 fouls 11 points 5 rebounds. Oklahoma St 22 min 4 fouls 4 points 6 rebounds. North Eastern 26 min 3 fouls 5 points 7 rebounds. Wagner 26 min 4 fouls 4 points 5 rebounds. In looking over the box scores of all of these games if Brimah has a decent game and is grabbing boards like he did against Memphis we have a shot, but that has been an outlier this year, not the norm. If he has his usual game of 25 min 4 fouls 6 points and 5 rebounds we lose to any halfway decent team. Several things pop out here that everyone here already knows. He's a fouls machine that can't stay on the court, can't grab rebounds and can't score??? Outside of an occasional highlight reel block, I'd much rather see Enoch in there the entire game at this point.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I couldn't disagree more. This season is a lost cause. About 10 games ago Brimah should have been glued to the bench the entire game so we could get Enoch 30 min of burn per night.

Also to your point about the games we won because of him.... I think the bigger question is how many games were lost "because of him." I would venture to guess that he contributed to far more losses than victories this season. In a season where we desperately needed him to step up. I'll just look at the non blowout losses. Houston 24 min 3 fouls 4 points 8 rebounds. Georgetown 6 min 5 fouls 3 points 3 rebounds. Auburn 27 min 3 fouls 6 points 2 rebounds. Ohio St 18 min 5 fouls 8 points 6 rebounds. Tulsa 37 min 3 fouls 8 points 9 rebounds. Oregon 26 min 3 fouls 11 points 5 rebounds. Oklahoma St 22 min 4 fouls 4 points 6 rebounds. North Eastern 26 min 3 fouls 5 points 7 rebounds. Wagner 26 min 4 fouls 4 points 5 rebounds. In looking over the box scores of all of these games if Brimah has a decent game and is grabbing boards like he did against Memphis we have a shot, but that has been an outlier this year, not the norm. If he has his usual game of 25 min 4 fouls 6 points and 5 rebounds we lose to any halfway decent team. Several things pop out here that everyone here already knows. He's a fouls machine that can't stay on the court, can't grab rebounds and can't score??? Outside of an occasional highlight reel block, I'd much rather see Enoch in there the entire game at this point.

Your post is the perfect example of what I've been talking about.

Ranting about how many fouls he picked up which removed him from games where he could have made a difference, and at the same time, saying that he doesn't make a difference. Great stuff. So which is it? Is he worthless? Or is he not on the court enough because of foul trouble?

You can't have it both ways. If he sucks, why would you care that he's on the court less?? Yeah, I know...

Reaction Score
Your post is the perfect example of what I've been talking about.

Ranting about how many fouls he picked up which removed him from games where he could have made a difference, and at the same time, saying that he doesn't make a difference. Great stuff. So which is it? Is he worthless? Or is he not on the court enough because of foul trouble?

You can't have it both ways. If he sucks, why would you care that he's on the court less?? Yeah, I know...

Sigh... he's not capable of making a difference because he is a foul machine that does not understand footwork and is weak . Our starting center, over 7 feet tall, averaging 4 rebounds a game. That is an amazing statistic. And I'm not "ranting." I provided facts from the box scores.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Sigh... he's not capable of making a difference because he is a foul machine that does not understand footwork and is weak . Our starting center, over 7 feet tall, averaging 4 rebounds a game. That is an amazing statistic. And I'm not "ranting." I provided facts from the box scores.

Yeah, you're bringing facts, huh? Then how come espn has Brimah averaging 6 rebounds per game, not the 4 rebounds you claim? Could it be because it doesn't fit your narrative? You also failed to mention that he is averaging almost 8 points a game. Once again...doesn't fit your narrative?

Next time you argue with facts, don't forget to actually bring facts...

Reaction Score
Yeah, you're bringing facts, huh? Then how come espn has Brimah averaging 6 rebounds per game, not the 4 rebounds you claim? Could it be because it doesn't fit your narrative? You also failed to mention that he is averaging almost 8 points a game. Once again...doesn't fit your narrative?

Next time you argue with facts, don't forget to actually bring facts...

Not sure if you need new glasses or maybe you just can't read... or maybe ur not the brightest bulb?? Either way let me help you out..

NCAAM #35 Amida Brimah - ESPN

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Not sure if you need new glasses or maybe you just can't read... or maybe ur not the brightest bulb?? Either way let me help you out..

Well, one of us is being lied to by espn. And believe me, I am the brightest bulb...

Edit: I just confirmed that my numbers are correct from a different source. I suspect you only got his numbers from the month of February, which makes it hilarious that you tried to call me out for being dumb... :confused:

Reaction Score
Well, one of us is being lied to by espn. And believe me, I am the brightest bulb...

Lol ur prob some small town local attorney that thinks he's the king of the universe because he belongs to the local golf club lol. Get a clue bro. If you only knew...

Reaction Score

Edit: I just confirmed that my numbers are correct from a different source. I suspect you only got his numbers from the month of February, which makes it hilarious that you tried to call me out for being dumb...

Also you don't even realize that you're proving my point. 4 - 6 rebounds from a 7 foot + senior captain who fouls out every other game and can't score and somehow you think we're better off with him on the floor this season. Talk about :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My business partner and I joke that if we had his height, even with our marginal basketball skills, that we would be scoring 15 ppg and grabbing at least 10 rebounds per game and would play in the NBA. He just has no feel for the game and terrible hands. You'd think the coaches would have had him perform drills that would have helped his hand-eye coordination.

Can't think of a recent player who I'm as anxious to see graduate than Amidah...perhaps Phil Nolan.

Hand-eye coordination is one of those things that can't really be taught. You can't blame Brimah for this.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Also you don't even realize that you're proving my point. 4 - 6 rebounds from a 7 foot + senior captain who fouls out every other game and can't score and somehow you think we're better off with him on the floor this season. Talk about :confused:

Yup. You're a clown. Now you're mad because you realize that you had your facts wrong. And yes, we are better with him on the floor.

And no, I'm not an attorney and I hate golf. Neither is relevant to you not knowing your facts or your basketball...

Reaction Score
Brimah lacks reactionary quickness to be a good rebounder. He is stiff, and slow to change direction if the ball changes directiion off the rim. Any ball that doesnt drop directly to him when he is in position is not going to be his. He is a terrible rebounder if the ball is slightly out of his area and he has no explosion off his second jump which is a huge factor in good rebounders. He is good on the lob and he has his moments protecting the rim against certain teams/players. He tries but is limited by his lack of ability. He is always gonna be raw. When he has the ball in traffic he either gets stripped or travels. He lacks the footwork and basketball insticts to yield a positive result the majority of the time. His motions are so mechanical, like he is trying to do what is taught, but he just lacks that natural feel that the better players possess. Throw in the constant foul trouble and the bad hands and you have a divisive and frustrating player that can win you some games but doesnt show up for the majority of them. My biggest beef with him is since his first year it seem the bigger the game the smaller he plays. He gets some bad whistles bet geez he almost asks out of some of these games with his dumb fouls. We may miss him next year in some respects more than we think in our present frustration. I do however think we will be better off in the long run, especially offensively with a center with a better feel for the game.

Reaction Score
I might also add that none of this is Amida's fault. He has had some good moments but he is what he is. People are freaking out like he is Andre Drummond who spent 4 years here but he is dissappointing us all. He was a recruit who most people had rated outside the top 200. He has probably had a better college showing than most of the guys in his company back then. Just because he is tall and plays for us, it doesnt guarantee greatness or even marginal improvement. The real issue is in 4 years we have not found someone capable enough to supplant him and give us better and more consistent play from the 5 position. It is as if he was annointed as something more than he was after a promising freshman year but that mistake was never recognized or corrected over the next 3 years when his limitations were obvious.

Reaction Score
Yup. You're a clown. Now you're mad because you realize that you had your facts wrong. And yes, we are better with him on the floor.

And no, I'm not an attorney and I hate golf. Neither is relevant to you not knowing your facts or your basketball...

And your a self righteous bag. You're probably the only guy on this entire board that would rather Brimah play out the string here than have Enoch get more playing time and more confidence for the future... since you know... the year is lost and all. Some people are just completely lost to reality.

Reaction Score

Also there is no option to sort by monthly statistics on espn.com. I typed in Amida Brimah and that's what it told me. FYI it also told me Facey was averaging 3 points and 3 boards per game.

NCAAM #12 Kentan Facey - ESPN

Note the hyperlink there.... there is no syntax for changing or sorting timeframes or retrieving data from a different field. It grabs the player ID... which in this case is Facey (66680) and returns the applicable data. It's not my fault the site is either back-linked wrong or pointing to the wrong college basketball statistics database. And let's be real here.... 4.6 or 5.9. GIGANTIC difference.... I know that extra 1 rebound per game is really the difference maker! And even if that was by "monthly stats" as you say, (which it's not) than it proves my point even more as his production has nosedived the past month. I'm fully confident some combination of Durham & Enoch can give us 5 points and 5 boards if they were given Brimah's minutes. We only have 1 out from here and it's a long shot. Why not give the freshman more PT. We're not playing for seeding. Maybe if Facey had gotten more burn the past few years he would have developed much quicker than he did. He only played 12 mpg last season. I would love to have him back for another year at this point.

Last edited:

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
"no plays run for him"???? What the k do you watch the game with your hands over your eyes? He caught the ball at least 7-8 times on the low block and only threw up one jump hoof from 2 feet which he missed. He threw one pass over Purvis's head and did little to nothing with any of the others. The "bullet passes" you speak of were one hands high and a bounce pass from Facey which was waist high he bobbled to the Houston defender. He was atrocious, only you could see anything else. But it must be Adams fault because he's so out of shape? Please just give it up!
Not to mention a couple of bounce passes to him where he wasn't paying attention. It is (difficult (in a way) to comment on his performances' because he is a great kid. However...

H

huskymagic

Who won the game for Houston the guards or their big men? Last I checked Rob Gray and Dotson are guards and they lit us up from the perimeter. Who is responsible for guarding them: Jalen Adams, Purvis, Vance, and Vital. Did our guards play offensively well to negate their hot second half: NO. This is a guards game and Houston's guard won it for them while our guards didn't do anything when it mattered in the second half. When Duke loses nobody blame Amile Jefferson or Harry Giles because they are what they are. This isn't Tim Duncan or Anthony Davis that you can play through.

PS: Kelvin Sampson strategy was to take Amida out of the game which he did. Why would he do that if he thought he wasn't a good player?

Reaction Score
Who won the game for Houston the guards or their big men? Last I checked Rob Gray and Dotson are guards and they lit us up from the perimeter. Who is responsible for guarding them: Jalen Adams, Purvis, Vance, and Vital. Did our guards play offensively well to negate their hot second half: NO. This is a guards game and Houston's guard won it for them while our guards didn't do anything when it mattered in the second half. When Duke loses nobody blame Amile Jefferson or Harry Giles because they are what they are. This isn't Tim Duncan or Anthony Davis that you can play through.

PS: Kelvin Sampson strategy was to take Amida out of the game which he did. Why would he do that if he thought he wasn't a good player?

His strategy in the 2nd half was to take Purvis out, he did. Amida took himself out Sampson needed no help in that strategy. Dotson isn't a guard, he's a wing and a damn good one we can't match up with. Gray averages 20 a game so in case you can't figure it out we're not the first one's he's scored on you dope. We didn't make shots in the 2nd half and we played 4 on 5 on offense a lot of times down the court which doesn't help the likes of our guards and helps them cover Purvis from all angles. Why care about a guy who catches it 5 feet from the rim 8 times and does zero with it? Not easy to run offense with that happening. But you keep thinking you have all the answers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom