Brimah | The Boneyard

Brimah

Reaction Score
My business partner and I joke that if we had his height, even with our marginal basketball skills, that we would be scoring 15 ppg and grabbing at least 10 rebounds per game and would play in the NBA. He just has no feel for the game and terrible hands. You'd think the coaches would have had him perform drills that would have helped his hand-eye coordination.

Can't think of a recent player who I'm as anxious to see graduate than Amidah...perhaps Phil Nolan.

Reaction Score
It is kind of amazing he hasn't improved more in his 4 years at UConn. Remember what they had Thabeet do to improve his hands? They had him stick his hands in a bucket of sand and squeeze the sand. His hands did improve. I wonder if Brimah has ever been put on a program such as that to improve his hands.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
It is kind of amazing he hasn't improved more in his 4 years at UConn. Remember what they had Thabeet do to improve his hands? They had him stick his hands in a bucket of sand and squeeze the sand. His hands did improve. I wonder if Brimah has ever been put on a program such as that to improve his hands.

That damn KO and his lack of sand training.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He's not a basketball player, tall guy with no skill or feel for the game whatsoever. Hopefully Enoch/Durham progresses so we can enjoy at least one good center in Ollies coaching career.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
My business partner and I joke that if we had his height, even with our marginal basketball skills, that we would be scoring 15 ppg and grabbing at least 10 rebounds per game and would play in the NBA. He just has no feel for the game and terrible hands. You'd think the coaches would have had him perform drills that would have helped his hand-eye coordination.

Can't think of a recent player who I'm as anxious to see graduate than Amidah...perhaps Phil Nolan.

Well said, but why include the last sentence? Seriously, I don't get the gratuitous digs at a kid who has been a Husky for four years.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Not any more. No politics outside the cesspool. It never ends well. It actually doesn't end well there either, but at least it's hidden from the general public.
Totally agree.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I wish Ollie would shorten our rotation to six players, seriously

I no longer believe we can win with him on the court. He KILLS us on offense, KILLS us. And even if he contributes to a stop on the defensive end, he either blocks the shot into the second row or gives up an offensive rebound, so our opponent gets to keep the ball.

I can't comprehend how he can't rebound, I'll never understand that. Bazz and Boatright should give him rebounding lessons.

Reaction Score
4 and 8 for him is normally fine but last night he had potentially his worst game ever. I mean how many times can you catch the ball 4 feet from the basket and have no clue what to do with it? Miss a bounce pass you can dunk, get a loss ball and travel while stepping out of bounds, foul people with reach ins with no reason to do so, have people walk by you without defending. He made so many terrible plays last night you wouldn't have enough time to list them. What really perturbs me is he got 24 minutes, more than he deserved. He was absolutely lost on the court.

Reaction Score
4 and 8 for him is normally fine but last night he had potentially his worst game ever. I mean how many times can you catch the ball 4 feet from the basket and have no clue what to do with it? Miss a bounce pass you can dunk, get a loss ball and travel while stepping out of bounds, foul people with reach ins with no reason to do so, have people walk by you without defending. He made so many terrible plays last night you wouldn't have enough time to list them. What really perturbs me is he got 24 minutes, more than he deserved. He was absolutely lost on the court.
I didn't see the game but have seen enough of Amida to have a qualified opinion on this. I'll always appreciate the kid for his 3 point play against St. Joe's and his overall contribution toward that championship.

With that said, he frustrates me like few players I can remember. After 4 years his offense is still limited to just alley oops. And you're right Mau, it takes him forever to get into his move once he receives the ball. He needs to have an idea ahead of time what he'll do but he never seems to know. He should be able to decisively go to a move within a second of receiving a pass, but he generally waits too long and either gets doubled, travels or ends up with a bad shot.

Again, sincere thanks to everything he's done here. It's not his fault that we were so desperate during a bad period in our recruiting, and had to take him. People expected him to be more then the 3 star recruit he was and that's not entirely fair to him. That said, I'm excited to other kids get those minutes next season.

Reaction Score
Well said, but why include the last sentence? Seriously, I don't get the gratuitous digs at a kid who has been a Husky for four years.

These types of posts suck. People are allowed to not like certain guys on the teams that they follow.

Reaction Score
He is always lost, just a matter of how much.

Like someone said, the St Joe's play will be remembered forever, I am definitely in the group wanting to see if SE can play. He made some nice offensive moves and shots that AB can only dream of.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
These types of posts suck. People are allowed to not like certain guys on the teams that they follow.

Do you mean stupid posts like this?

Brimah

You can "not like" whoever the hell you want. If you want to do it here, chose your words carefully. There is no reason for gratuitous insults.

You should assume the person you are talking about is going to read your post, because I have little doubt that many do.

And if you have no problem speaking up, even under those circumstances, I suggest you walk up to the 7', 22 year old and do it in person. My guess is he's a better person than I am.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Nobody says you can't - say what you want, my God plenty say some ridiculous things (I am guilty at times), he said he just doesn't get it
Obviously you don't either

H

huskymagic

Houston was killing us from 3 and on the perimeter in the second half nothing to do with Brimah not that he was good either. Nobody was playing solid defense or rebounding or getting loose balls thats on the coach to correct and fix. Ollie didn't that's the ball game. Our supposed best player and leader Jalen Adams didn't make one hustle play or get a big rebound or make a big shot to stop the Houston run and settle the team down. Amida had no plays run for him the entire game and the few he did get were bullet passes by his ankles. Our guards not making perimeter shots in the first 10 minutes of the second half killed the team as Houston was able to sag on the bigs and take them out of the game as well. None of the bigs were rebounding or scoring in the second half as they were taken out by the guards not making shots and by Houston clogging up the interior. This was on Ollie and Jalen Adams.

Reaction Score
Yeah, and the play were our guards were trying to get a key rebound in the game and he was just standing still admiring just to the side signified how he played in this game. No fire and no hustle. Go inside and help fight for those rebounds as you are are 7'0" tall. If we had one advantage against Houston it was inside and KF tried his hardest,though his shot was off, while AB was basically a no show. I understand offense being off but for rebounding and defense to be so bad was inexcusable. Our bigs had to play their tails off for us to win and they didn't. End of story and most of it falls on AB's shoulders. He is a Sr. and he had no excuse for last night. Love the kid's enthusiasm and fire at times but that was surely missing that last night. You can tell that AB's game was way off as a small Houston team was looking to go inside every chance they got. Our guards played pretty bad outside defense but AB was no were to be seen to try to swat any shots.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I didn't see the game but have seen enough of Amida to have a qualified opinion on this. I'll always appreciate the kid for his 3 point play against St. Joe's and his overall contribution toward that championship.

With that said, he frustrates me like few players I can remember. After 4 years his offense is still limited to just alley oops. And you're right Mau, it takes him forever to get into his move once he receives the ball. He needs to have an idea ahead of time what he'll do but he never seems to know. He should be able to decisively go to a move within a second of receiving a pass, but he generally waits too long and either gets doubled, travels or ends up with a bad shot.

Again, sincere thanks to everything he's done here. It's not his fault that we were so desperate during a bad period in our recruiting, and had to take him. People expected him to be more then the 3 star recruit he was and that's not entirely fair to him. That said, I'm excited to other kids get those minutes next season.

Well stated
I feel AB was a project that got thrust into a bigger role than expected
I still feel that the cause/reason/blame on his lack of development is through his inability to realize what his shortcomings are and working on them. He was satisfied to be a fly swatter because in his mind that is what a 7' er was supposed to do.
Maybe it is a physical thing but I am hesitant to say so. He fails to rebound like a 7 foot center - he has hands of concrete - his footwork is nearly non existant.
I would like to know how he would rate his progress, If he looks at film, can he be even be one bit satisfied with his performance last night?
He is a great ambassador and most likely a great person and I wish him all the luck in the future.

Reaction Score

Because the 13 year NBA veteran doesn't know any hand-eye coordination drills, right. Or his staff of similarly experienced players and coaches. That makes tons of sense.

Anyone on this board who thinks that Amidah's lack of development is because of a lack of effort by the coaches are morons. And I bet they're doing a little more than having him stick his hands in sand. Guess what--shocker!--they did a lot more with Thabeet than that too. It requires thousands and thousands and thousands of reps. Sand helps, but that's more a tidbit for the papers like "oh look our coaches are unique," when actually that was very little of the program they were using.

Could the coaches have worked with him differently early on? Maybe.

Could they have recruited better? Maybe. But probably not, sanctions and all.

There's plenty to criticize coaches for, but NOT WORKING with Brimah is not one of them. That's asinine to say.

Brimah's athleticism is god-given, but his frame is too. He will never be able to hold good weight. His skinny legs will always keep him from working on the block against big men. Similarly, his long, lean hands are great for shot blocking but not good for strength. And maybe, just maybe, a little like Thabeet, actually, he realizes his weakensses and is immeasurably frustrated by them.

And no, you would not be averaging 15ppg and 10rpg. He may not be an elite NBA-style center, but he is certainly a darn good basketball player compared to the average human. You underestimate the level of skill, athleticism, habit, and instinct that is required to play this game well. Things happen MUCH faster on that court than your pickup buddies are able to do against you, pal.

There are plenty of 6'10-7' guys who can't play basketball worth a lick. I imagine you would be in that camp.

Reaction Score
Houston was killing us from 3 and on the perimeter in the second half nothing to do with Brimah not that he was good either. Nobody was playing solid defense or rebounding or getting loose balls thats on the coach to correct and fix. Ollie didn't that's the ball game. Our supposed best player and leader Jalen Adams didn't make one hustle play or get a big rebound or make a big shot to stop the Houston run and settle the team down. Amida had no plays run for him the entire game and the few he did get were bullet passes by his ankles. Our guards not making perimeter shots in the first 10 minutes of the second half killed the team as Houston was able to sag on the bigs and take them out of the game as well. None of the bigs were rebounding or scoring in the second half as they were taken out by the guards not making shots and by Houston clogging up the interior. This was on Ollie and Jalen Adams.

"no plays run for him"???? What the duckk do you watch the game with your hands over your eyes? He caught the ball at least 7-8 times on the low block and only threw up one jump hoof from 2 feet which he missed. He threw one pass over Purvis's head and did little to nothing with any of the others. The "bullet passes" you speak of were one hands high and a bounce pass from Facey which was waist high he bobbled to the Houston defender. He was atrocious, only you could see anything else. But it must be Adams fault because he's so out of shape? Please just give it up!

Reaction Score
Do you mean stupid posts like this?

Brimah

You can not like whoever the hell you want. If you want to do it here, chose your words carefully. There is no reason for gratuitous insults.

You should assume the person you are talking about is going to read your post, because I have little doubt that many do.

And if you have no problem speaking up, even under those circumstances, I suggest you walk up to the 7', 22 year old and do it in person. My guess is he's a better person than I am.

What in the hell are you even trying to say? My guess is a poorly written attempt at some type of moral high ground. Not particularly sure what the sticking point is, ask Knicks fans how they feel about Melo, or if the problem is "he's just a college kid, wah" ask literally any college football fan what they thought about Johnny Football.

The guy literally said "I can't wait to see him graduate". Aside from the fact that this means the man is getting a degree, the only negative implication that post has is 'you're not a very good player, I can't wait until my team is better' which is hardly as bad as you suggesting I go pick a fight with Brimah in person.

Can't wait to see you delete this post when I'm really just replying to the stupidity that you wrote.

Reaction Score
I guess we watched different games as JA played good d. RP, CB and VJ were the perimeter players playing bad. JA was the only person attacking as he got some foul shots when we needed some buckets and made 3-4 of them. JA kept us in the game and our bad D including AB who normally can at least swat shots from small guys in the paint was a no show. I mean Houston was looking to go at AB as his defense was so off in this game. AB needs to play with fire to be decent and there was none of that last night. Now KO did mess up with that stupid TO as I will give you that but JA played his heart out last night.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
What in the hell are you even trying to say? My guess is a poorly written attempt at some type of moral high ground. Not particularly sure what the sticking point is, ask Knicks fans how they feel about Melo, or if the problem is "he's just a college kid, wah" ask literally any college football fan what they thought about Johnny Football.

The guy literally said "I can't wait to see him graduate". Aside from the fact that this means the man is getting a degree, the only negative implication that post has is 'you're not a very good player, I can't wait until my team is better' which is hardly as bad as you suggesting I go pick a fight with Brimah in person.

Can't wait to see you delete this post when I'm really just replying to the stupidity that you wrote.

Nah, I'm not going to delete it. I believe every cockroach deserves a little sunlight. You just had your day in the sun.

And if you think the post was about congratulating the kid for graduating, I really hope you didn't graduate from UConn. If you did, my guess is you won't be in any of their brochures advertising UConn's best and brightest.

Time to move on, junior.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

JSMH
Did you really watch the second half?
How many chippies did UConn miss under the basket that resulted in points at the other end? If UConn makes half those it's a different game. Houston is the best 3 pt shooting team in the conference - Did you expect them to miss all game?
Houston played zero attention to UConn's inside game because AB didn't demand it, especially in the 2nd half when KF had foul trouble - they paid attention to the inside game in the 1st half when KF and SE were hitting shots
I didn't know that rebounding can be taken out by guards not making shots and due to clogged interiors.
It was a tale of two halves - UConn won the first and Houston the second - if you hit shots you score.
Our supposed best player?? Please stop - our memories are very short
Who do you suppose it is?
There were a lot of reasons why UConn lost and yes JA played a part but to say the guards were the main reason is not true

H

huskymagic

I guess we watched different games as JA played good d. RP, CB and VJ were the perimeter players playing bad. JA was the only person attacking as he got some foul shots when we needed some buckets and made 3-4 of them. JA kept us in the game and our bad D including AB who normally can at least swat shots from small guys in the paint was a no show. I mean Houston was looking to go at AB as his defense was so off in this game. AB needs to play with fire to be decent and there was none of that last night. Now KO did mess up with that stupid TO as I will give you that but JA played his heart out last night.

Vance actually had a decent game and was efficient in scoring and the minutes he played. He was the only one. Jalen did not play well until we had 5 minutes left in the second half. He was lackadaisical with the ball, some stupid turnovers, not helping with rebounding, didn;t make one big defensive/offensive play in the first 12 minutes of the second half to stop the Houston run and get the rest of the guys competing. His stat line was fine, but the eye test doesn't lie, and Jalen was as responsible as anyone for the collapse yesterday. Amida had a stat line of 4 pts and 8 rebounds, which is typical for him, Kentan had like 11 and 9 which is typical for him(I'm not saying that they played well, but their stat line is typical for them)

Our perimeter crew outside of Vance and team defense/rebounding/scrappiness/toughness were the reasons we lost this game. If you guys want to put Jalen on a pedestal as our best player then he needs to play like it and and he needs to be called out when not playing well. Kevin Ollie is one Brimah 3 point play away from being Diacoed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom