Brimah "declares for draft" | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Brimah "declares for draft"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is good for both DHam and Brimah. They will get honest criticism and hopefully use as motivation in the offseason.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Any idea of last year's number, pre rule change?

The rule change was made by the NCAA vis a vis eligibility, not the NBA. Unless the NBA instituted some sort of additional rule change, I imagine the number is the same as before.

Reaction Score
The rule change was made by the NCAA vis a vis eligibility, not the NBA. Unless the NBA instituted some sort of additional rule change, I imagine the number is the same as before.
You don't think the number of 'testers' will increase?

Reaction Score
I see this as a good thing, maybe it will motivate him to work harder on his offense.
Agreed! That's the benefit that could come out of this for all of those who "declare". The potential downside would be if that information conflicts with what the coaching staff believes the player needs to work on.

Reaction Score
Based on his declaration and that he only has 2 fouls, he is now projected as a late 6th round pick.

Reaction Score
In my nearly 40 years being a UCONN fan, I can't recall another player who showed less improvement from freshman to junior year than AB. Well, besides Mandledove. There is more to the game than blocking shots and an occasional alley-oop.
This says more about your memory than anything else.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Why doesn't jalen just go ahead and declare now too? I mean his long term prospects as an NBA player are certainly higher than Brimahs( and believe it or not I don't mean that as a knock on AB) . I mean anyone who has aspirations, just declare now. Why wouldn't you?

Reaction Score
Just a heads up, I will be declaring for the draft tomorrow.

I'll be the agent in your ear telling you that I can get you into the first round.

Even though your a white dwarf. We can market this. The first white dwarf in the NBA. Coke is ready to name s soda after you. And Puma has a sneaker they will design for you. I have this all lined up.

Reaction Score
Idk, I get why he's doing it but this seems like a waste of time.

He's not an NBA talent right now. A lot of Brimah-caliber players are going to take advantage of the new rule, but unless you're within shouting distance of the first round what's really the point

Reaction Score

He's not an NBA talent right now. A lot of Brimah-caliber players are going to take advantage of the new rule, but unless you're within shouting distance of the first round what's really the point

Presumably any of the UConn players doing this are doing so on the advice of the staff. If they think it's worthwhile then I don't see how any of us could know better.

Reaction Score
In my nearly 40 years being a UCONN fan, I can't recall another player who showed less improvement from freshman to junior year than AB. Well, besides Mandledove. There is more to the game than blocking shots and an occasional alley-oop.

Winning games changes perspective! Had this team won an NCAA championship, the outlook would have been that AB blocks a ton of shots, is fast and athletic so he keeps the bigs at bay or else he'll punish them by catching alley oops, and he also alters a ton of shots...

Not a great rebounder, but it would have been argued that its hard to rebound when you are altering shots or blocking them. Sure some of his weaknesses would be mentioed but at worse, he'd be a late first round pick.

And thats not to say he shouldnt be further along in development, i agree he should be and im hoping entering the draft and hearing it from NBA teams gives him extra motivation, but i cant ignore his strengths either.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
People arguing against this are essentially arguing against practicing for job interviews. He works out this year for some scouts he performs terribly at least he knows how the process works and what to work on for next year.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Why doesn't jalen just go ahead and declare now too? I mean his long term prospects as an NBA player are certainly higher than Brimahs( and believe it or not I don't mean that as a knock on AB) . I mean anyone who has aspirations, just declare now. Why wouldn't you?

This one might have to do w/ the NBA rules.

The NCAA will allow college basketball players to enter and withdraw their names from the NBA draft an unlimited amount of times over the course of their four-year careers. It’s important to note that the NBA has its own rule, which it may elect to change in the next Collective Bargaining Agreement with the players association. It states that non-automatically eligible draft prospects, which doesn’t include 1994-born international players or NCAA seniors, can only withdraw from the draft twice and become automatically eligible in the next draft following their second time withdrawing. Both rules combined mean players can be in the draft up to three times, following their freshman, sophomore, and junior seasons, or as a sophomore, junior and senior.

If I understand this correctly, if a player enters his name twice and withdraws, the NBA will automatically enter him the year following his second entry.

If Jalen were to throw his hat in the ring now, and then again after his sophomore season, the NBA will automatically enter his name the following year. I guess he would either have to chose to never be draft eligible or end his collegiate career after his Junior season.

So as of right now Freshman will still have to consider if this is the best career move. Hopefully the NBA will elect to change this rule.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I cant for the life of me understand why anyone would be negative towards our guys about this. This is an absolute Win/Win for the player and every player should take full advantage. This allows them to go workout for NBA personnel to get an understanding of where they stand and what they need to work on. There is absolutely nothing negative about this. In addition to the exposure gained with the NBA by declaring these players get more allowed practice time than if they didn't declare. So when Dham and Brimah find out they are not going to get drafted high enough they will be all the better next year with the additional practice.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score

If Brimah is invited to the combine he is eligible to work out with the UConn coaching staff for 12 additional hours a week in preparation. We don't know how many players will be invited so who is to say he doesn't have a shot? I don't think anyone on this board would argue he couldn't use the additional 1 on 1 time with our coaches, regardless of what happens with the NBA.

Brimah is also permitted to attend private workouts with each NBA team. If they invite him he can get feedback on what he needs to work on to get better.

If neither of those things happen he withdraws his name from the draft. Who's time is he wasting? Certainly not his own, and certainly not our coaching staff's.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
It may be semantics but if the headline read "Brimah declares for pre draft evaluations" then I think most Yarders would think it was a good idea. Unless AB has unrealistic opinion of his talent right now or is getting really bad advice there is no way he declares for the draft this year. Same with DHam. As was mentioned more than once on this thread, there is no harm in getting evaluated. The phrase Declares for the draft is frightening to many college fans (myself included) but has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Unless AB has unrealistic opinion of his talent right now or is getting really bad advice there is no way he declares for the draft this year.

He already declared. He is eligible to withdraw his name unless he hires an agent.

Reaction Score
Remember this is the NCAA, logic goes out the window when trying to figure out their rules. Probably a season suspension if you talk to an NBA exec/scout without declaring or something ridiculous like that.
With the exception of Carolina. They can not only talk to NBA Execs, they can also sleep with their wives with no penalty or investigation.

Reaction Score
I cant for the life of me understand why anyone would be negative towards our guys about this. This is an absolute Win/Win for the player and every player should take full advantage. This allows them to go workout for NBA personnel to get an understanding of where they stand and what they need to work on. There is absolutely nothing negative about this. In addition to the exposure gained with the NBA by declaring these players get more allowed practice time than if they didn't declare. So when Dham and Brimah find out they are not going to get drafted high enough they will be all the better next year with the additional practice.
Because people are stupid.

Reaction Score
If Brimah is invited to the combine he is eligible to work out with the UConn coaching staff for 12 additional hours a week in preparation. We don't know how many players will be invited so who is to say he doesn't have a shot? I don't think anyone on this board would argue he couldn't use the additional 1 on 1 time with our coaches, regardless of what happens with the NBA.

Brimah is also permitted to attend private workouts with each NBA team. If they invite him he can get feedback on what he needs to work on to get better.

If neither of those things happen he withdraws his name from the draft. Who's time is he wasting? Certainly not his own, and certainly not our coaching staff's.
Whoa, calm down there, beardo.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score

I'm sorry, but people are attacking Brimah for no reason. Last time I checked he still wore UConn across his chest. We should support him, not try to tear him down.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Aren't you the guy who, during the Kansas game:

1. Called for Ollie to be fired less than 10 minutes in.
  2. Said that Hanilton needs to "get off my court".
  3. Whined that you "deserve better than this", as if any aspect of UConn basketball is something you are entitled to.
You're probably the last person on this website who should be telling others to adjust their tone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom