Bria - Ligament Tear | The Boneyard

Bria - Ligament Tear

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Per various Tweets, Bria has a torn ligament in her ankle. Hopefully will be back by Paradise Jam.

Reaction Score
I had a feeling when I had read how slow her recovery from a sprain was going. I thought there has to be more to this. The silver lining is in the int-rum is we have 4 other competent guard to cover for her till December.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
very glad they figured it out. better dealing with a "known" than an unknown.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
John A says in his blog that an MRI revealed a slight tear in the ligament. Bria says the ankle feels better (she says 70 percent) and the range of motion is better. Geno says she'll likely need a week of practice before she plays.

I like the approach with this. There's no reason for Bria to play before she's ready.

Geno and coaches are undecided on who will start in her place.

Reaction Score
John A says in his blog that an MRI revealed a slight tear in the ligament. Bria says the ankle feels better (she says 70 percent) and the range of motion is better. Geno says she'll likely need a week of practice before she plays.

I like the approach with this. There's no reason for Bria to play before she's ready.

Geno and coaches are undecided on who will start in her place.

Not surprised at all that there was more to her injury! Must have been a 2nd MRI which indicated this! 13 days till the Paradise Jam! Nove 22,I will be surprised if she plays then and till at least sometime in Dec/Jan! I agree also with the approach,aside from what Bria may say!

Obviousely opportunity for continued playing time for Banks and Mo!

KF has 17 Assts and 2 TOs in the 2 exhib games! Banks very impressive,and Kiah 14 blocks in the 2 games.
Ira

U

UCONNfan1

Very please they finally figure it out. The sprain seemed to be lasting far too long. Dumb non-physician here - this is nothing like an ACL or MCL right? No surgery needed, just rest and rehab to let it heal?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Good that they now know. I don't see her playing until late December.

No need to rush her back.

Reaction Score
What a luxury the schedule affords UConn this year (as opposed to last). Bria has time to recover at her own pace without feeling any pressure to return (beyond that which a competitive athlete puts on herself, which is considerable).

Reaction Score
A shame for Bria, but it's the right move to let her heal completely and then get some practice under her belt. Still, I'm surprised that she's not going to need surgery. How exactly does a "slight" tear heal itself without being sewn up? Anyone know?

Reaction Score
Banks and Jefferson will handle the point until she is ready to return. No need to rush back. Only a few tough games before Baylor and they should be able to handle them. As a bonus, Mo and Banks get some playing time and seasoning before the meat of the schedule. That can only pay dividens in March.

Reaction Score
A slight tear will not cure itself. No tear will. Having had two ligament reconstruction surgeries in my ankles (and more, I imagine, had I had more than two ankles), I can say that you can live, survive, and even play on an ankle like that for a season or more. . . BUT you will be more susceptible to further sprains and other ankle injuries as the year goes on.

I had several metatarsal breaks as a result of the ligament injuries. . . casts, crutches, etc. (Of course, when your parents tell you not to run around a pool, it turns out there's good reason for that. . . but I digress.) Now, having had the two surgeries, I am much more stable (except for my emotional state. But I digress.)

And, given more injuries-- eventually, you will find yourself looking down the barrel of long-term osteoarthritis.

Reaction Score
Thanks Sargasso. Sounds like Bria will be needing surgery eventually (like after this season). In the meanwhile, Rosemary Ragle will have another steady customer for pre-game taping and post-game icing.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Torn ligaments go hand-in-hand with sprains. It's a matter of the "Grade" (1-3) of sprain and whether it's a "high" or "low" sprain. Our preference (if we must choose :() would be a Grade-1, low sprain. John A's quoted "slight tear" would indicate a Grade-1, or Grade-2 (thank God)!

I agree with everything Sargassoc has offered...have sprained my ankle/s over a dozen times (all Grades, high and low). BBall sprains come mostly on the "plant foot" (Bria's left) for obvious reasons, or the dreaded roll coming down on someone's foot. Bria is one tough kid, but the ankle needs 2-3 weeks rest minimum just for a Grade-1.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Ankle sprains are ligament tears of some degree. Athletes have been spraining ankles since the beginning of time. How many times have you heard about an athlete having surgery for an ankle sprain. Statements about surgery by posters who are not doctors, have not seen the MRI results and no idea of Bria's condition other than what they read in a blog seems silly.

Reaction Score
A slight tear will not cure itself. No tear will. Having had two ligament reconstruction surgeries in my ankles (and more, I imagine, had I had more than two ankles), I can say that you can live, survive, and even play on an ankle like that for a season or more. . . BUT you will be more susceptible to further sprains and other ankle injuries as the year goes on.

I had several metatarsal breaks as a result of the ligament injuries. . . casts, crutches, etc. (Of course, when your parents tell you not to run around a pool, it turns out there's good reason for that. . . but I digress.) Now, having had the two surgeries, I am much more stable (except for my emotional state. But I digress.)

And, given more injuries-- eventually, you will find yourself looking down the barrel of long-term osteoarthritis.

I dont want to start a debate in medicine here but I simply cant sit back and say nothing when there is wrong information being given. First off yes torn ligaments can heal on their own. This usually occurs with a RICE approach which stands for Rest, Ice, Casting, Elevation. In fact most tears heal on their own and only extreme cases especially in ankle ever require surgery.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
The exam break is in mid-December. After that we have 2 easy games prior to Christmas....UHart and Oakland. If Bria comes back for those two to knock some rust off prior to our game against Stanford on Dec. 29 that would be great. She would miss games against ranked teams Texas A&M, Purdue, Maryland and Penn State.
Thank heavens for our guard depth.

Louisville over A&M 47-45? Not knowing a blessed thing about how it went but I doubt 'twas a pretty game.

Reaction Score
Thanks Sargasso. Sounds like Bria will be needing surgery eventually (like after this season). In the meanwhile, Rosemary Ragle will have another steady customer for pre-game taping and post-game icing.

With acknowledgment of a tear, all talk of Bria playing this year sounds like rushing her back to me. This is a red shirt situation, IMHO.

The main reason is, of course, health. I'm here relying on those posters who say a tear cannot heal itself. I'm likewise relying on those who refer to surgery after the season and constant trainer visits if she were to play this year.

Those are all indicating risk and rush.

One final factor: Bria is a Wade and 1st team AA candidate. Even if she rushes back, she's going to miss several games and lots of practice, thus were she to return, her chances of excelling would be diminished. Granted, team considerations may be more important, but bottom line remains that Bria has a tear.

Bria, I am very sorry to hear of injury of that nature; take your time, take it slowly, red shirt.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Ankle injury explained - with pictures! The University Foot and Ankle Institute

"When patients begin activity too soon, this can lead to more sprains while the old sprain had not fully healed."

Makes me wonder why she was even practicing.

As noted on the board in other threads, Bria said she thought it was just another sprain (like she's had before) and thought she could play through it. She didn't say much if anything to the staff. As soon as Bria told the staff that the pain was worse (or not improved) they shut her down after 2 or 3 practices. She has not practiced since.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm here relying on those posters who say a tear cannot heal itself. I'm likewise relying on those who refer to surgery after the season and constant trainer visits if she were to play this year.

And why would you rely on message board posters for medical opinions? Some medical research will tell you that a ligament tear can indeed heal itself. The human body is amazing that way.

I fractured my ankle and tore ligaments. I actually felt the tear as it happened. I never had surgery and my ankle is fine (I'm a runner and tennis player and have never felt even a twinge). And because this happened while I was in Africa with no access to medical care, I wasn't able to completely rest the ankle. (I walked on it for 3 more weeks, though I tried to limit it as much as possible.)

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I had a very bad ankle sprain when I was in HS. Tore all the ligaments and tendons. Thats not Brias case. I was out 8 weeks on crutches. In my 40's I had another ankle sprain. I was on crutches again for 4 weeks. Again Brias isnt that bad. Couple of things come out of this. CD BB and MJ get more experience. Bria comes back just in time, I would think December if what we're hearing about her injury is correct We have some pretty tuff games in Marist Purdue Maryland Penn ST and Stanford . With Bria back that gives us 4 experienced point guards. Bria get well soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom