Bria - Ligament Tear | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bria - Ligament Tear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I fear this is going to be a dark cloud hanging over the season. :(

Reaction Score
As noted on the board in other threads, Bria said she thought it was just another sprain (like she's had before) and thought she could play through it. She didn't say much if anything to the staff. As soon as Bria told the staff that the pain was worse (or not improved) they shut her down after 2 or 3 practices. She has not practiced since.

As noticed and noted at the time by a # of us including myself,Bria appeared to be less than for coming to the staff! She is VERY competitive and wanted to play. Geno stated as much in comments awhile back.Her actions made the situation worse!

The staff has been on top of this and acted appropriately! We have seen time lines extended as ongoing trt,evaluations,additional MRIs,information,progress has proceeded.

1 week and 5 days until the Paradise Jam starts. Per Geno's latest comments. Once she even starts practicing he is talking about a week of practice. That assumes,everything went as hoped for. She has not started practicing.There is no way to know what will occur when she does start practicing and really when that will start! She is receiving numerous forms of trt,while also being allowed to do what is medically indicated riding the bike etal

We have seen that time tables have appropriately changed as her condition has dictated!
The trt staff have taken the correct approach and Geno is not going to have her come back early! So what he says at any givien time is really going to be dictated by her being completely healthy! This could lag on beyond the Paradis Jam,Nov,into Dec or beyond!

We will have to wait and see.So will Bria! The patient being totally honest is always an important component of any type pf trt. I do believe the entire trt team is going to error on being very precautionary rather than rush her back!

There are a # of articles available indicating many aspects of the situation! They include what had been "observed" Bria's emotional state has been! She has also indicated in interviews " it sucks" etc She is not a happy camper.

This is an ongoing process. Do the math though re the Paradise Jam and beyond. She is not ready for practice and a week.s practice/per Geno<w/o complications> is running out for playing soon!
Ira

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Comments by Bria (from Rich's blog):

“There’s a little pain in it still,’’ Hartley said. “But not as much as when I’m moving. But the ligament was torn so it’s repairing itself. The doctor (Tom Trojian) looked at it before we played (Wednesday) night (against Holy Family). The range of motion is a lot better. The swelling went down a lot too.

“Right now I’m just working on getting better. That’s the only thing I can do. (Team athletic trainer) Rosemary (Ragle) has me doing a bunch of workouts and stuff, trying to stay in shape a little bit, get my stamina up. So that’s really all I’m concentrating on.’’

Clearly Dr Trojian skipped the A&P chapter on ligaments not being able to heal themselves.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Who needs to go to medical school, see an MRI, or even examine the patient...a past injury history, or just Google, , a quick opinion and a keyboard are all that is required for diagnosis and prognosis.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think some of the misinformation involves 'tissue' vs. attachment point for ligaments - ligaments connect bone to bone and if there is damage to the ligament in the middle as opposed to it tearing away from the bone, I do not believe it can 'heal' itself as it has no internal blood supply. If it tears completely away from the bone, again, I do not believe it can 'heal' itself as it will shrink away from the attachment point. If there is still some connection to the bone then it can 'heal' itself as the attachment can be regenerated.
The more severe the sprain, the more likely to require some form of surgery to reattach the ligament or in worst case to replace it. Based on Bria's actions to date, it appears the sprain was not too serious as she would not have been able to 'play through it' initially. Based on the fact that it did not get better, it is more serious than she initially thought and she may have in fact made it a little worse by not completely resting it. However there is no indication from her that she incured a second incident, but rather that the pain just didn't go away so the problem was more just not allowing the initial injury to heal rather than causing further damage.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
With acknowledgment of a tear, all talk of Bria playing this year sounds like rushing her back to me. This is a red shirt situation, IMHO.

The main reason is, of course, health. I'm here relying on those posters who say a tear cannot heal itself. I'm likewise relying on those who refer to surgery after the season and constant trainer visits if she were to play this year.

Those are all indicating risk and rush.

One final factor: Bria is a Wade and 1st team AA candidate. Even if she rushes back, she's going to miss several games and lots of practice, thus were she to return, her chances of excelling would be diminished. Granted, team considerations may be more important, but bottom line remains that Bria has a tear.

Bria, I am very sorry to hear of injury of that nature; take your time, take it slowly, red shirt.

You are relying on bum dope. Read the link I provided earlier. FWIW many years before MRI's I had a severe ankle sprain. The doctor mentioned that I had probably torn some ligaments. His treatment, tape and rest. It essentially healed itself but it took a while.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
There you have it..the only issue left is "tape" or "redshirt".

Reaction Score
Even if there are orthopods posting here--I'm not--the very best any of us can do is post up opinion and gossip, not necessarily in that order.

Another bone I have to pick is with that thread of commentary that either overtly or ever so subtly, blames Bria for not being forthcoming, as an example of one blame comment. The student athletes are late adolescent people, age 18-22 on average. They are only on the team because of a singular drive to maximize their athletic gifts.

It is unseemly, IMHO, to put blame on them for seeking to play through pain. Rather, the tesponsility for their health has been entrusted to a paid staff that must do the job of monitoring the condition of the student athletes.

Mind you, I am not here saying the staff did anything wrong, either. After all, it doesn't appear we are speaking of an obviously serious injury. If there were no symptoms visible to the staff, then, likewise, there was nothing Bria should other than play hard until she noticed a lack of improvement.

Bottom line, Bria, we admire you. Get better and come back when you are able.

Reaction Score
Some people need to realize that sprains and partial ligament tears of the ankle are not that uncommon of an occurence in basketball. I dont want to sound brash but those of you thinking this will require surgery are way off base, and even worse those of you even thinking red shirt are even more off base. I am not a doctor and have no "inside information" but if the injury were a bad enough tear to warrant surgery or a red shirt then you would see Bria on crutches not a walking boot. I expect her back in 2-3 weeks at the most.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
As noted on the board in other threads, Bria said she thought it was just another sprain (like she's had before) and thought she could play through it. She didn't say much if anything to the staff. As soon as Bria told the staff that the pain was worse (or not improved) they shut her down after 2 or 3 practices. She has not practiced since.
Bria has been playing non-stop and living with mild sprains (Grade-1) for a long time - she's never had time off to rest/heal with all her USA and UConn commitments. Whether she's aggravated a prior condition this time, had a new event, or both, only her doctor knows for sure and rest will be the cure. The real kick-in-the-pants is the chronic/nagging nature of this injury, especially the "high sprain" variety.

Bria doesn't have an "off-season" (think Sue Bird and her aching hips :(). Bria being the warrior she is has probably not helped her own cause (ankle). I suspect (like myself) that she has a high pain tolerance. That's not necessarily the good news it sounds like. You play on, when you really shouldn't.

But John A's "slight tear" report does not indicate the more serious Grade-3 variety. Therefore "red shirt" worries are way overblown IMHO. She should be good-to-go after the New Year! :)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Quote from the article linked above.

"They (ankle sprains) can take several months to allow the patient to feel confident in the strength of the ankle. When patients begin activity too soon, this can lead to more sprains while the old sprain had not fully healed. This will lead to chronic ankle instability that often needs to be corrected surgically."

Rest is the best solution and the first of the year may be a better goal. Rushing back can have sigficant long term inplications.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Quote from the article linked above.

"They (ankle sprains) can take several months to allow the patient to feel confident in the strength of the ankle. When patients begin activity too soon, this can lead to more sprains while the old sprain had not fully healed. This will lead to chronic ankle instability that often needs to be corrected surgically."

Rest is the best solution and the first of the year may be a better goal. Rushing back can have sigficant long term inplications.

I agree. I would rather see her sitting until BE play than coming back too soon and just aggravating it again.

Reaction Score
Many sprained ankles ARE ligament tears. A grade 1 sprain is stretched ligaments. A grade 2 sprain involves partially torn ligaments. And a grade 3 sprain means a completely torn ligament.

Usually a torn ligament will heal itself - even a grade 3 sprain. Surgery is very rare.

If it's a grade 2, the most common type, a reasonable guess would be a month to recover. A grade 3, i.e. complete ligament tear, could be a bit longer.

Reaction Score
Very please they finally figure it out. The sprain seemed to be lasting far too long. Dumb non-physician here - this is nothing like an ACL or MCL right? No surgery needed, just rest and rehab to let it heal?

Correct. A torn ankle ligament - which is nothing more than a higher degree of a sprain - will usually heal itself. (An MCL will usually heal itself also, btw.)

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
This thread is actually making me think of another body part.....

kneejerk_small.jpg

Reaction Score
Correct. A torn ankle ligament - which is nothing more than a higher degree of a sprain - will usually heal itself. (An MCL will usually heal itself also, btw.)

That's what my doctor told me...

Reaction Score
I think some of the misinformation involves 'tissue' vs. attachment point for ligaments - ligaments connect bone to bone and if there is damage to the ligament in the middle as opposed to it tearing away from the bone, I do not believe it can 'heal' itself as it has no internal blood supply. If it tears completely away from the bone, again, I do not believe it can 'heal' itself as it will shrink away from the attachment point. If there is still some connection to the bone then it can 'heal' itself as the attachment can be regenerated.
The more severe the sprain, the more likely to require some form of surgery to reattach the ligament or in worst case to replace it. .

A much better explanation for what I was trying to say. To me, there's nothing that suggests surgery and I never meant to imply that. I broke three ankles and didn't need (or have) surgery for another twenty years. And I didn't have my second surgery until eight years after the first. Up until those surgeries, I played high school, college (D-III, though), league softball, and skied-- just fine. (Never pain free, mind you, but fine. Always had to ice the ankle afterwards and always had swelling afterwards.)

Another excellent medical/ortho link HERE for how an ankle sprain occurs (and the varying degrees of injury and response needed).

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Comments by Bria (from Rich's blog):

“There’s a little pain in it still,’’ Hartley said. “But not as much as when I’m moving. But the ligament was torn so it’s repairing itself. The doctor (Tom Trojian) looked at it before we played (Wednesday) night (against Holy Family). The range of motion is a lot better. The swelling went down a lot too.

“Right now I’m just working on getting better. That’s the only thing I can do. (Team athletic trainer) Rosemary (Ragle) has me doing a bunch of workouts and stuff, trying to stay in shape a little bit, get my stamina up. So that’s really all I’m concentrating on.’’

Clearly Dr Trojian skipped the A&P chapter on ligaments not being able to heal themselves.

I think it is Bria whose medical knowledge is deficient, unless she was quoting Dr. Tom, which I doubt.

Reaction Score
Plus a little known fact-- (perhaps even to him): pre-surgery, I played softball on Phil's (see above) work league team.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
This thread is actually making me think of another body part.....

kneejerk_small.jpg
Please don't remind me of what it was to have a complete tear of the quadraceps tendon above the patellar. A knee jerk reaction is infinitely preferable to no reaction at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom