Bria - Ligament Tear | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Bria - Ligament Tear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Per various Tweets, Bria has a torn ligament in her ankle. Hopefully will be back by Paradise Jam.
A ligament injury is what a "sprain" is. Stating it is a tear is purely a matter of degree of injury not a substantially different injury although recovery will be prolonged. sometimes a fracture will heal more completely and quickly than a sprain or a ligament injury.

Reaction Score
I remember when I had a severe sprain the doctor said it was such a bad sprain I would have been better off breaking it. And he was right. I broke my ankle, and had two permanent pins put in with surgery. After 6 weeks, I was pretty much fully recovered. But with that bad sprain? It was about 10 weeks before I could walk on it without pain in every step, and another month or two before I no longer noticed it at all.

Reaction Score
The exam break is in mid-December. After that we have 2 easy games prior to Christmas....UHart and Oakland. If Bria comes back for those two to knock some rust off prior to our game against Stanford on Dec. 29 that would be great. She would miss games against ranked teams Texas A&M, Purdue, Maryland and Penn State.
Thank heavens for our guard depth.

Louisville over A&M 47-45? Not knowing a blessed thing about how it went but I doubt 'twas a pretty game.
I wouldn't count on U Hartford being an easy game. A Jen Rizzoti Team are you kidding.

Reaction Score
I dont want to start a debate in medicine here but I simply cant sit back and say nothing when there is wrong information being given. First off yes torn ligaments can heal on their own. This usually occurs with a RICE approach which stands for Rest, Ice, Casting, Elevation. In fact most tears heal on their own and only extreme cases especially in ankle ever require surgery.
As a retired M.D. I would like to confirm your evaluation, that her recovery will be prolonged. I also believe it would be best for her and the team to take it slow!!!!

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I wouldn't count on U Hartford being an easy game. A Jen Rizzoti Team are you kidding.

I watched their first game. Entertaining, and I'll be watching many more, but they won't be serious competition for UConn. If they are within 30, it will be a moral victory. Jen doesn't like moral victories, so she won't celebrate losing by 30, but there's a serious talent differential.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

The last time the two teams played, Hartford scored 39 points. It was an "easy" game.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
With the speed UConn plays come BE time...and beyond...who knows how the ankle will respond. Definitely don't red shirt here but I wouldn't expect her to ever be 100% this season. Bummer.

Reaction Score
Was at the C of C game today and couldn't help but notice that Bria was in her civies and didn't have her ankle wrapped or have her ankle incased in a boot. I would have thought that we be standard procedure. No?

Reaction Score
I wouldn't expect her to ever be 100% this season. Bummer.

I think that's overly pessimistic. If she doesn't experience any complications, there's no reason she can't be 100% prior to January.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
ESPN photo (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncw/photos?gameId=323160041&photoId=2545696)
confirms 50ish' observation.
I double-checked when I saw what might have been a boot on(or near) her right foot...but it's the wrong foot (for the sprain).
So either she wears flats and does not protect the foot or does what a lot of young females do:
keeps a spare set of footwear for social or dress occasions.

PS: notice the serious, concerned look on Geno and Shea's faces as they observed critical events ;) in the second half! They were up by 50 or 60 at the time; imagine if they were losing (previous pic).

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
One thing was clear, however, she was in flats and not heels on camera during the game. They were the dance style flats that have become popular among some young women currently.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Ankle sprains are ligament tears of some degree. Athletes have been spraining ankles since the beginning of time. How many times have you heard about an athlete having surgery for an ankle sprain. Statements about surgery by posters who are not doctors, have not seen the MRI results and no idea of Bria's condition other than what they read in a blog seems silly.

Silly...lol. You know that is not what you were thinking.

Here are a few that I'm sure would be more accurate.

"Statements about surgery by posters who are not doctors, have not seen the MRI results and no idea of Bria's condition other than what they read in a blog seems-----"

idiotic, simple, foolish, mindless, thick, stupid, daft,dumb, gormless, brainless, cretinous, unintelligent, dimwitted, asinine, imbecilic, braindead, dumb-ass, doltish, Boeotian, muttonheaded.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
what about "typical", "par for the course"

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
One bit of information I would like to know is besides this year and last year and previously, " How many times has Bria sprained her ankle?" We may already be facing a chronic situation. It may heal and still could require surgery as a fix because the small tears have led to stretching of the ligaments.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Silly...lol. You know that is not what you were thinking.

Here are a few that I'm sure would be more accurate.

"Statements about surgery by posters who are not doctors, have not seen the MRI results and no idea of Bria's condition other than what they read in a blog seems-----"

idiotic, simple, foolish, mindless, thick, stupid, daft,Replicanted, gormless, brainless, cretinous, unintelligent, dimwitted, asinine, imbecilic, braindead, dumb-ass, doltish, Boeotian, muttonheaded.

You're correct. I was trying not to be too harsh.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Hey folks:
I contacted a good friend of mine who is one of the leading neuro-osteopedic surgeons here in Connecticut and I shared this thread with him and asked him to weigh in...below you will see his response... I hope this helps

A sprain is a ligament injury of varying degrees. Ligaments are flexible but inelastic structures that hold joints together and limit the degree of movement thus preventing dislocation.. When a joint is forced beyond its limited range, the ligaments are stretched more than their limit, and a tear results. This can be a minor microscopic tear or a a complete tear. The great majority of sprains heal uneventfully. Depending on the severity of the tear, there can be some elongation of the tendon which leaves the joint a little loose. That is why after the first ankle sprain, it is easier to sprain it again. Primary surgical repair of an ankle ligament is rarely indicated, but there are a number of ligament reconstruction procedures for recurrent ankle sprains. Hope that helps!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Hey folks:
I contacted a good friend of mine who is one of the leading neuro-osteopedic surgeons here in Connecticut and I shared this thread with him and asked him to weigh in...below you will see his response... I hope this helps

A sprain is a ligament injury of varying degrees. Ligaments are flexible but inelastic structures that hold joints together and limit the degree of movement thus preventing dislocation.. When a joint is forced beyond its limited range, the ligaments are stretched more than their limit, and a tear results. This can be a minor microscopic tear or a a complete tear. The great majority of sprains heal uneventfully. Depending on the severity of the tear, there can be some elongation of the tendon which leaves the joint a little loose. That is why after the first ankle sprain, it is easier to sprain it again. Primary surgical repair of an ankle ligament is rarely indicated, but there are a number of ligament reconstruction procedures for recurrent ankle sprains. Hope that helps!

This is exactly the reason I raised the question of what has seemed to be a recurring injury for Bria over the last two years.

Reaction Score
Hey folks:

Thank you, Sensei!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I would have to go back and look at the details surrounding any of Bria's previous sprains. If they resulted from rolling her ankle, which is the much more common way of doing it, then the outside ligaments would be the ones injured/stretched. IIRC from write-ups on the current injury, the sprain occurred on the inside which is much less common and a bit more problematic. Hopefully, this latest injury is more of a one-off for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom