Brendan Adams: What's his position? | The Boneyard

Brendan Adams: What's his position?

Reaction Score
Looks like we're dying down on content until we get another transfer announcement so I'll ask the question I've been sitting on.

What's BA's position? His value to the team and general skill set have been discussed in other threads.

He's played the 3 and the 4 for us when we went small; out of necessity. His natural body type allowed him to add the strength needed to hold up in that role last season more than our other guards/wings.

Is he an undersized 2? When he sees an open lane he can drive and finish at the rim. He can be deadly on catch and shoot 3s. But he was extremely streaky. He had more games shooting 1 for 5, or 0 for X than he did hitting 2+ 3s in a game. That's why his 3pt average was only 27.8%. But he also went off for 15+ pts in 3 games and 9+ 15 times.

Or does Hurley still see him as the PG that BA was recruited as out of high school. Does Hurley groom his for PG responsibilities as our 3rd ball handler this year? I know some have questioned his handle. Due to roster construction with AG, Gaffney, CV (and Jalen the year before), plus needs at other positions, BA hasn't held that role yet for the team.

BA seems like our ultimate utility player that can help 1-4 depending on lineup/roster construction. But it seems like Hurley isn't bringing in another ball handler this season with Martin and another Big being that current target. So I wonder if BA will be our 3rd PG more so than the backup 2/3 that everyone lists him as on their projected lineups?

Reaction Score
He's a guy coming off the bench when needed to fill many positions. The only 2 I can't see him playing are the 5 and the 1. But he can bring his toughness to the other positions on D. He did improve in his 2nd year no doubt but another nice jump is required especially shooting and ball handling.

Reaction Score
In Dan Hurley’s system I wouldn’t get hung up on position or who starts. Minutes will give you the answer you are looking for.
Thanks for continuing to be cryptic and pretending to be all knowing.

Nothing about my post had a hang up over starters. And clearly I thought it was worth a discussion topic- on a message board vs waiting months for minutes to give me the answer. Great insight you've provided.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Position is Baller.

He's going to play 15-20 minutes somewhere depending on team performance, foul trouble and match ups. He fills multiple part time needs with one roster spot.

He's the combination of 4th outfielder and 5th infielder who gets 300 AB's a season.
Fifth WR/KO returner/gunner.
3rd goalie/Zamboni driver.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He comes off the bench, hits 3’s, makes smart decisions, plays awesome defense, and hustles like no other.

Been a while since I've seen a player hit more 3's that looked like airballs coming out of his hands. He is the exact opposite of a Ray or Ben where every ball looked like it was going in.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score

Nothing about my post had a hang up over starters. And clearly I thought it was worth a discussion topic- on a message board vs waiting months for minutes to give me the answer. Great insight you've provided.
Glad you posted this and your reasons are valid. However, I need to stand up for @Chief00 on this one. His response was also valid and the reason was given in @Dream Jobbed 2.0 post. Hurley's system is not based extensively on position but upon what is needed to win and who can provide that need today. To me BA is a typical 2 and if he advances to the next level, (which is probably playing overseas) that will be his position. But if the other team has a quick 4 that is hurting us. BA can guard that 4. If the other team has a big point what is dominating, BA can guard him. Positions with hurley are relative in DH's system and BA's varied skill set is valuable to us in several situations.

Reaction Score
If Lasan Kromah and Terrence Samuel had a baby, they would name him Brendan Adams.

He's a swiss-army knife player who always gives 100% and endears himself to fans and the team.

Championship teams need guys like Brendan Adams.

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
What position does Marcus Smart play? His role is a poor mans that.
I was going to say something about Smart too. I think Smart’s role is technically “backup PG” but that changes as the game progresses.

Reaction Score
He comes off the bench, hits 3’s, makes smart decisions, plays awesome defense, and hustles like no other.

THIS. Even when he’s not hitting shots he has value. As you said he plays smart, plays tough D, and hustles. I expect more of those 3’s to fall this year when there’s more talent around him and there’s more space to work with.

As far as position, I think he’s a natural 2 that will likely play mostly the 3 this year. Cole + Gaffney will lock up the PG minutes. Bouknight will take up most of the SG minutes maybe with Gaffney filling in for small lineups. I think BA and Jackson will split time at the 3.

Reaction Score
Was about to post the same thing word for word. I’m sure we’ll be using B Adams to defend true 3s and 4s at multiple points in the season.

will caveat that though with a very poor mans, even at a college level comparison.

Reaction Score
Just give me someone on with CV's heart and fire. I think BA might be the guy for this.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Adams is a PG. He’s not the worst guy to handle the ball in an emergency, though. Ideally, I like having a third guy who can play the point, or at least a combo guard with a strong handle. However, if there is a situation - fouls, injury - where Cole and Gaffney have to both be out of the game, I think a lineup with Adams, Bouknight, and Jackson can get us through stretches of a few minutes here and there.

What’s great about Adams, besides his work ethic and the fact that he seems like a good guy, is that he is versatile enough to play alongside anyone we have. I look forward to his continued improvement.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
BA should watch as much Niels Giffey tape as possible and replicate his game. He's a few inches shorter so he can't defend post players, but every other part of Niels' game is on the table and would be a huge help to our team.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
He's a guard, that's it. The college game has evolved beyond the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 designations. Most teams run 2/3 guards with 2/3 forwards.

To me, BA is a shooting guard. He should not be regularly bringing the ball up the floor - for a few possessions, ok, fine. He's not a "4/5," and he's not a true "1." This leaves him as either a traditional "2 or 3?"

Reaction Score
Looks like we're dying down on content until we get another transfer announcement so I'll ask the question I've been sitting on.

What's BA's position? His value to the team and general skill set have been discussed in other threads.

He's played the 3 and the 4 for us when we went small; out of necessity. His natural body type allowed him to add the strength needed to hold up in that role last season more than our other guards/wings.

Is he an undersized 2? When he sees an open lane he can drive and finish at the rim. He can be deadly on catch and shoot 3s. But he was extremely streaky. He had more games shooting 1 for 5, or 0 for X than he did hitting 2+ 3s in a game. That's why his 3pt average was only 27.8%. But he also went off for 15+ pts in 3 games and 9+ 15 times.

Or does Hurley still see him as the PG that BA was recruited as out of high school. Does Hurley groom his for PG responsibilities as our 3rd ball handler this year? I know some have questioned his handle. Due to roster construction with AG, Gaffney, CV (and Jalen the year before), plus needs at other positions, BA hasn't held that role yet for the team.

BA seems like our ultimate utility player that can help 1-4 depending on lineup/roster construction. But it seems like Hurley isn't bringing in another ball handler this season with Martin and another Big being that current target. So I wonder if BA will be our 3rd PG more so than the backup 2/3 that everyone lists him as on their projected lineups?
In no way is Adams undersized as a 2.

C

Chief00

Pretending to be? Chief explained Danny’s system in a couple brief sentences.

Reaction Score
His 2 pt shooting % is pretty good for a guard, his 3 point % not so good, and he takes way more 3 's (like 60% vs. 25 % for Bouknight; both have about the same 2 pt shooting % which seems unexpected given how many close in layups and dunks Bouknight gets). He improves his 3 point shooting to close to 40% (after Polley's 40.5% no one was even at 35%) and you have a nearly double figure scorer off the bench playing 20 minutes; that would be nice. Needs better A/T % and stop making head scratching plays at important points in games (fouling on 3's, trying for steals when only need to play tough defense).
He will play lot of 2/3 and wing with one big, around his 22 minutes he logged last year (maybe little less if Cole/Gaffney show out, Polley comes back with a vengeance and the new wing is anywhere as good as hoped).

Reaction Score
Smart is an interesting comparison. I was not wild about the pick when the C's took him, partly for the reasons we're discussing - what is his position? But lo and behold, through blind confidence and hard work, he's become a more than serviceable 3 point shooter (in fact, a borderline very good one) and his ball handling/playmaking has significantly improved, more than I think anyone could have anticipated.

Does Adams have the determination and support to take the next steps in these areas? If he can specifically improve his playmaking (handle / assist creation), he'll see lots of minutes at a guard spot and some as a forward. If he doesn't make significant improvement, I see him as primarily backing up whichever position is at the greatest need.

There's no doubt he made a big jump from freshman year. He showed us things we simply hadn't seen from him before. The question is if he can make another jump. I wouldn't bet against him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom