Brenda Frese: "We're ready now...we're going into UConn...we know what to expect." | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Brenda Frese: "We're ready now...we're going into UConn...we know what to expect."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There's an awful lot of confident posts, some WAY overconfident ones, and not many giving Coach Frese any respect. She's a good coach, and her teams have been good over the past decade. Her team shoots 3s well, and face it, we have let some teams bomb us this season, enough to keep them in games they should have been out of before halftime. This is also MSG, and while it isn't quite on 34th street, it is pretty close.

I expect a close game at halftime, with adjustments making the difference in the third quarter, and UConn stretching in the fourth to a 20 point win. We need Gabby to be Gabby, Hoover to play as well as she did against LSU, and Lou to keep improving. Oh yeah, and Stewie on the court, not the bench. Ek playing as hard as she did last night would be a nice bonus. Another perfect shooting night from beyond the arc by Pulido would be great, too!

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Who cares about Maryland, we gotta get by LSU - ahem, a team from the best conference in America. The (and I say this with awe in my voice) SouthEastern Conference.
Come on Geaux UCONN. Hold that Tiger.

sarc meter.jpg

I think my meter may be overheating!

Reaction Score
I live in Maryland, and I've been here longer than Brenda Frese. She did lead a team to a NC in 2006. Her Rebecca Lobo was an Israeli guard named Shay Doron. I believe that Frese has had only one losing season since her first squad in 2003. Overall, her record is excellent. She is also an ace recruiter, though, as I have written, DC is a very strong magnet for some players. Recently 6 of her recruits were arrayed across a page in the Washington Post looking very scary Now, a reality check: Frese doesn't win the big ones most of the time. Her teams seem to go into a swoon whenever they run into a genuine obstacle. The Terps ran the table last year, their first in the Big Ten, then thudded to a halt in the national tournament. Brenda herself is a whirling dervish; I have to pop a Valium whenever I watch Maryland play. I fully expect someone to slap a restraining garment on the lady. Perhaps UConn will supply some handcuffs.

The 2002-03 was her only losing season. Maryland was in the WNIT in 2009-10. That was the only year she failed to make the NCAA after her first year as coach of Maryland.

Reaction Score
Yeah right, so clueless she's won a NC and made to 3 final fours in 10 years.

Walz won the national championship. And since he left all they have done is get humiliated in the Final Four.

If Frese was a good coach why is she never considered for the Olympic team staff - she is just a recruiter with minimal knowledge of the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Walz won the national championship. And since he left all they have done is be humiliated in the Final Four.

Let me show you where you are wrong. Brenda has beaten Walz the last 2 of the 3 times they have met. The last one was in the elite eight when Louisville was a higher seed than MD and it was played on Louisville's home court with 14,000+ Louisville fans in attendance. MD Was winning that game by double figures with only a few minutes left and their youthful mistakes in the last two minutes of the game allowed Louisville back in it to make it close.

Regarding being humiliated in the final four, MD has only had the 18 best recruiting classes over the last 5 years. Yet, UConn and ND beat them badly with their #1 and #2 best recruiting classes over that same period. That is to be expected. Making it to the final four two years in a row with the 18 best recruiting class seems to be a pretty good accomplishment.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Walz won the national championship. And since he left all they have done is get humiliated in the Final Four.

If Frese was a good coach why is she never considered for the Olympic team staff - she is just a recruiter with minimal knowledge of the game.
There are at least three other women that have won National Championships and are not currently consider for the Olympic Team staff- Mulkey, Muffett, & Peck. All clueless? The last is rhetorical.

Reaction Score
Let me show you where you are wrong. Brenda has beaten Walz the last 2 of the 3 times they have met. The last one was in the elite eight when Louisville was a higher seed than MD and it was played on Louisville's home court with 14,000+ Louisville fans in attendance. MD Was winning that game by double figures with only a few minutes left and their youthful mistakes in the last two minutes of the game allowed Louisville back in it to make it close.

Regarding being humiliated in the final four, MD has only had the 18 best recruiting classes over the last 5 years. Yet, UConn and ND beat them badly with their #1 and #2 best recruiting classes over that same period. That is to be expected. Making it to the final four two years in a row with the 18 best recruiting class seems to be a pretty good accomplishment.

The #18 best recruiting classes, nice try. Link ? Alyssa Thomas a top 5 recruit carried the team for four years. BF had Lexie Brown too until she got in a fight with Brenda.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Allow me to simply and embellish slightly. In the era dominated by Breanna Stewart 2013-2016 UCONN & ND have been the most accomplished teams. Maryland is the third most accomplished team. Brenda can both coach and recruit with the best teams in the country.

Reaction Score

Nice post.

Reaction Score
I am not worried about UCONN's defense against this so called "potent" offense (1st in scoring in NCAA; Sagarin SOS #333) The only concern should be Maryland's game plan to stop or slow down UCONN's offense (2nd in scoring in NCAA; Sagarin SOS# 2).

http://www.rpiratings.com/womrate.php
UConn didn't shoot the ball very well against a poor LSU team. Every starter were below 50% and the team was below 50%. Gabby Williams excellent night helped the team shooting %. Of course Stewart being out didn't help.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Brenda Frese has brought two straight teams to the Final 4. She did it with and without Alyssa Thomas. That doesn't happen by accident. Whether she is a better motivator or a better X and O coach, I don't know. But I do know her team wins almost all of the time, and in the NCAA Tournament when it matters.

Reaction Score
The #18 best recruiting classes, nice try. Link ? Alyssa Thomas a top 5 recruit carried the team for four years. BF had Lexie Brown too until she got in a fight with Brenda.

I'll get that info about the 18th best recruiting class, but in the meantime here is a comparison of MD's players compared to UConn's players based on where each player ranked in their respective recruiting class. For instance, for UConn's starters below, Stewart was a #1 recruit, MoJeff was a #2 and so on for their staters and for their first two players that come off the bench and the same thing for MD's players.

UConn starters: #'s 1, 2, 6, 14, 33 First two off the bench: 1, 6
MD starters: #'s 8, 26, 43, 55, +100 First two off the bench: 55, 70

As you can UConn has a lot more talent than MD. The average number for UConn's 7 players average ranking number is 9 while MD's average player number ranking is 51. I think this certainly indicates that MD's recruiting ranking is no better than 18th.

Thomas was a great player, but not in the category of single handily carrying a team. And as I said, MD beat a higher seed Loiusville on their home court showing Brenda can beat Walz in the big game.

Regarding Lexie and Brenda getting in a fight and you indicating that is why she left, you're wrong again. First where do you come up with these things. Please show some support for a change about them fighting. Second, here is Lexie's quote about why she left and after being on Duke's team. "I didn't expect a lot of people to understand why I decided to leave,'' Brown said. ''As long as everyone here (at Duke) understands. My mom's been up here four times. That's so important for me. She's even in the stands when I'm not playing. She'll be at the South Carolina game. It's worth it to me to see her and my little siblings in the stands.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/using-fund-transfer-travels-duke-team-during-off-201359849--ncaaw.html

You know what, all you do is make outrageous statements without providing any support, even when your challenged to do so. Seems like you just make things up.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
UConn fans should show Brenda Frese a little more respect for the simple fact that she is at least willing to play UConn!! That immediately puts her ahead of a lot of other coaches, too numerous to mention. Please stop being so disrespectful. A valid reason why many people dislike SOME UConn fans.....

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Not sure what anyone expects her to say - "We will try our best but we know we suck compared to UCONN and hope to keep the loss closer than a 30 point blowout"?

I mean come on guys. You can pick on Freese for many things, but not for that comment. I do think it's pretty awful to "work on" pressing an over-matched team in the 4th quarter. Her team should work on that in the first half and maybe at the start of the 3rd quarter.
C'mon, Eric, this is a Huskies fan board. We do not deal in justice and play. We want blood, and the more of it the better!!! And if Brenda thinks that successfully pressing the Little Sisters of the Poor has prepared the Terps for the likes of MoJet, Kia, Saniya (hopefully), Gabby, KLS and Phees, she is the more deluded!

(And incidentally, where in the world are you?)

Reaction Score
Before people write off Maryland completely - the Terripins like to shoot the three are there are, count 'em, 8 players that shoot from the arc.
Two players average over 50% (Brene Mosley is almost 60%)and as a team, MD hits 40%. If they hit threes like DePaul and ND did, it could be long night.
True but Maryland's two players over 50% on the three were shooting against less than stellar opponents whose defense probably left those players wide open. Meanwhile UConn got burnt a bit earlier in the year on threes (as mentioned) and what that means is Geno probably had them paying the Piper for their defensive lapses. I don't think you'll be seeing anything close to those type defensive performances from UConn against Maryland.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
C'mon, Eric, this is a Huskies fan board. We do not deal in justice and play. We want blood, and the more of it the better!!! And if Brenda thinks that successfully pressing the Little Sisters of the Poor has prepared the Terps for the likes of MoJet, Kia, Saniya (hopefully), Gabby, KLS and Phees, she is the more deluded!

(And incidentally, where in the world are you?)
I should probably change my name to "EricLosAngeles" because that's where I moved to... As for Maryland, I think they are one of those teams (like tOSU and Duke) who are just really bad matchups, unlike say Depaul, ND, FSU and maybe even USF. Those teams seem to give UCONN closer games than other top teams do...

Having said that, I predict a "closer" game - maybe an 18-20 point win for UCONN. This is not a game where we will slaughter them.

Reaction Score
I'll get that info about the 18th best recruiting class, but in the meantime here is a comparison of MD's players compared to UConn's players based on where each player ranked in their respective recruiting class. For instance, for UConn's starters below, Stewart was a #1 recruit, MoJeff was a #2 and so on for their staters and for their first two players that come off the bench and the same thing for MD's players.

UConn starters: #'s 1, 2, 6, 14, 33 First two off the bench: 1, 6
MD starters: #'s 8, 26, 43, 55, +100 First two off the bench: 55, 70

As you can UConn has a lot more talent than MD. The average number for UConn's 7 players average ranking number is 9 while MD's average player number ranking is 51. I think this certainly indicates that MD's recruiting ranking is no better than 18th.

Thomas was a great player, but not in the category of single handily carrying a team. And as I said, MD beat a higher seed Loiusville on their home court showing Brenda can beat Walz in the big game.

Regarding Lexie and Brenda getting in a fight and you indicating that is why she left, you're wrong again. First where do you come up with these things. Please show some support for a change about them fighting. Second, here is Lexie's quote about why she left and after being on Duke's team. "I didn't expect a lot of people to understand why I decided to leave,'' Brown said. ''As long as everyone here (at Duke) understands. My mom's been up here four times. That's so important for me. She's even in the stands when I'm not playing. She'll be at the South Carolina game. It's worth it to me to see her and my little siblings in the stands.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/using-fund-transfer-travels-duke-team-during-off-201359849--ncaaw.html

You know what, all you do is make outrageous statements without providing any support, even when your challenged to do so. Seems like you just make things up.
Let's go back to the year Maryland won the National Championship- as I recall, that team had 3 outstanding freshman- and I remember thinking, WOW, and that we were screwed for the next 3 years. Then...nothing- yeah yeah, I know they went to the tournament, but they should have done better. What happened? Well Walz left, and proceeded to do pretty well at Louisville, so one might conclude he had a little to do with that. Brenda is irritating to watch and listen to, but entertaining, and certainly has done more that the Duke chick. That situation is an even bigger mystery, and leads me to appreciate Geno and CD even more. I think it's the combination of 2 basketball geniuses that explains UCONN

Reaction Score
For the record, Walz didn't leave right after Maryland won the national championship. He was on staff one more year. We live in a society where so many want to give out credit to this person or that person. It's a team effort- win or lose.

Reaction Score
In the FF game last year, Geno elected to play MD (a team that still boasted Lexie Brown) man-to-man, and, to my surprise, the Terps nearly broke the 60 point line. I have a suspicion that he will go this time with the stifling zone that has been so effective lately, and hold them to something fewer. Brenda is a pretty good coach with a pretty good team, but the record they've compiled thus far against the Little Sisters of the Poor is meaningless given what they will be up against next week. She says she knows what to expect, and I expect she does!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom