Brenda Frese: "We're ready now...we're going into UConn...we know what to expect." | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Brenda Frese: "We're ready now...we're going into UConn...we know what to expect."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
The Terps have wet feet, Brenda has cold feet. What persuaded her to play this game anyway? Mucho dinero?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not sure what anyone expects her to say - "We will try our best but we know we suck compared to UCONN and hope to keep the loss closer than a 30 point blowout"?

I mean come on guys. You can pick on Freese for many things, but not for that comment. I do think it's pretty awful to "work on" pressing an over-matched team in the 4th quarter. Her team should work on that in the first half and maybe at the start of the 3rd quarter.

Reaction Score
Think pitching for a minute. Your team sees almost every pitcher throwing 85 mph---then they come up against a pitcher that throws 95 mph. At best, it takes time to adjust ;ergo, you are behind early. Not good against UConn who can also come on stronger later in the game.
Another point - many BY posters were very concerned about UConn & the NEW 5th starter. What about chemistry, flow, & production?
Well, Maryland lost two starters from last year -- Senior leader Mincy and top dog Lexi Brown. Seems like a bigger adjustment to me.
Maryland has talent so I say 15-18 point win for UConn if Maryland plays well.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Before people write off Maryland completely - the Terripins like to shoot the three are there are, count 'em, 8 players that shoot from the arc.
Two players average over 50% (Brene Mosley is almost 60%)and as a team, MD hits 40%. If they hit threes like DePaul and ND did, it could be long night.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Before people write off Maryland completely - the Terripins like to shoot the three are there are, count 'em, 8 players that shoot from the arc.
Two players average over 50% (Brene Mosley is almost 60%)and as a team, MD hits 40%. If they hit threes like DePaul and ND did, it could be long night.
I really hope it's a good game. I'm sure it will be physical. Stewie better grab herself some knee pads.

Reaction Score
I live in Maryland, and I've been here longer than Brenda Frese. She did lead a team to a NC in 2006. Her Rebecca Lobo was an Israeli guard named Shay Doron. I believe that Frese has had only one losing season since her first squad in 2003. Overall, her record is excellent. She is also an ace recruiter, though, as I have written, DC is a very strong magnet for some players. Recently 6 of her recruits were arrayed across a page in the Washington Post looking very scary Now, a reality check: Frese doesn't win the big ones most of the time. Her teams seem to go into a swoon whenever they run into a genuine obstacle. The Terps ran the table last year, their first in the Big Ten, then thudded to a halt in the national tournament. Brenda herself is a whirling dervish; I have to pop a Valium whenever I watch Maryland play. I fully expect someone to slap a restraining garment on the lady. Perhaps UConn will supply some handcuffs.

Reaction Score
The Terps have wet feet, Brenda has cold feet. What persuaded her to play this game anyway? Mucho dinero?

I suspect being able to bring her kids to MSG for a nationally televised game was a factor.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Should the game follow the consensus Boneyard script, there will surely be a race to post that Brenda dropped the ball! :D

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to this one. I really have nothing against Brenda and MD, but I enjoy seeing her get humbled, especially when she's talking nonsense about needing to play one of the worst non-conference schedules in the country to get her team's "feet wet".

UConn wins by 15+, I'm hoping closer to 25 or 30.

Right On!!! You've got a lot of UConn fans standing behind you echoing your sentiments. Maryland just might beat UConn one day. But the 28th of December will not be that day. ;)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score

Not ideal, but a good stat to have raised. Perimeter D is always an area of focus when it comes to UConn fans.

That being said, if UMD is like ND or DePaul, the Huskies have two 10-20 point wins against those two. Most of us will take 'em. Will justify the trip to the great city of NYC, where we enjoy dinner together with TJI, as well as the fantastic group seating area thanks to her!

Reaction Score
So, yesterday, Maryland spanked Maryland Eastern Shore by 76. Final score: 106-30. Their record now stands at 11-0. They're now off for a week before meeting up with UConn on Monday the 28th at MSG.

These are Brenda's exact words after their recent victory, "We needed our nonconference to grow as a team, to get our feet wet. We're ready now. We understand we're going into UConn and conference play and we know what to expect." [LINK]

Obviously, they are playing well. Brenda is a good coach, and since she knows what to expect, and is ready, what should we do?

With LSU pretty beat up, I think it is safe to assume UConn improves to 10-0 tonight. But then, what about next week? Who goes home with the "and 1" record, UConn or Maryland?

This could be a tough one.

Haha - "We know what to expect." This is what I expect...

upload_2015-12-21_15-26-35.png

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I hear and respect your take, however, I submit to you that those numbers were NOT acquired against the type of defense they'll see and encounter when they play UConn. Very few teams play the type of "in your face" and denial defense that the huskies do for 40 minutes. We'll see.

Example: Remember Kelsey Mitchell who led the D1 in scoring last year? She had 36 the game before they played UConn. She was held to a career low of 8 points against the huskies on Nov 16. My point is that most players (not all) have trouble scoring their average point output when they play UConn.

Even if you can shoot the lights out on one end of the court, you'd better be able to makes some stops on the other end as well, or it could still be a long night.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yup - knowing what to expect and being able to do something about it are not necessarily the same thing (forewarned is not always forearmed)

Has Brenda forgotten they were blown out with KML shooting 1-8 and scoring 4 points?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I hear and respect your take, however, I submit to you that those numbers were NOT acquired against the type of defense they'll see and encounter when they play UConn. Very few teams play the type of "in your face" and denial defense that the huskies do for 40 minutes. We'll see.

Example: Remember Kelsey Mitchell who led the D1 in scoring last year? She had 36 the game before they played UConn. She was held to a career low of 8 points against the huskies on Nov 16. My point is that most players (not all) have trouble scoring their average point output when they play UConn.

Even if you can shoot the lights out on one end of the court, you'd better be able to makes some stops on the other end as well, or it could still be a long night.
UConn shoots 35.2% from the arc and have been allowing opponents to shoot 36.2%. It's been an issue this season.

Reaction Score
Maryland has a tough team and a very good coach who tries to get the best out of her players. Frese has been to FF's and has won a NC . So she is no rookie at pressure games. I look for a good and tough game. If the Terps are within 10 in the 4th quarter they could be trouble. They have a space eating center in Brionne Jones and good perimeter players with talent. And they have got size. Morgan will have her hands full in the paint with Jones. The BIG difference that I see is they have NO ONE to match up with Stewie..... If Stewie brings her "A" game , UConn wins going away.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
So, yesterday, Maryland spanked Maryland Eastern Shore by 76. Final score: 106-30. Their record now stands at 11-0. They're now off for a week before meeting up with UConn on Monday the 28th at MSG.

These are Brenda's exact words after their recent victory, "We needed our nonconference to grow as a team, to get our feet wet. We're ready now. We understand we're going into UConn and conference play and we know what to expect." [LINK]

Obviously, they are playing well. Brenda is a good coach, and since she knows what to expect, and is ready, what should we do?

With LSU pretty beat up, I think it is safe to assume UConn improves to 10-0 tonight. But then, what about next week? Who goes home with the "and 1" record, UConn or Maryland?

This could be a tough one.

According to Sagarin/Massey Maryland's SOS is 332/138 respectively. You don't prepare for UConn by playing patsies. Upon by 30.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Brenda no longer ready as UCONN without Stewart wins by 46.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
At the same time, UCONN is no longer leaving the number of open shots on the perimeter they were once leaving open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom