Brenda Frese: "We're ready now...we're going into UConn...we know what to expect." | The Boneyard

Brenda Frese: "We're ready now...we're going into UConn...we know what to expect."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So, yesterday, Maryland spanked Maryland Eastern Shore by 76. Final score: 106-30. Their record now stands at 11-0. They're now off for a week before meeting up with UConn on Monday the 28th at MSG.

These are Brenda's exact words after their recent victory, "We needed our nonconference to grow as a team, to get our feet wet. We're ready now. We understand we're going into UConn and conference play and we know what to expect." [LINK]

Obviously, they are playing well. Brenda is a good coach, and since she knows what to expect, and is ready, what should we do?

With LSU pretty beat up, I think it is safe to assume UConn improves to 10-0 tonight. But then, what about next week? Who goes home with the "and 1" record, UConn or Maryland?

This could be a tough one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So, yesterday, Maryland spanked Maryland Eastern Shore by 76. Final score: 106-30. Their record now stands at 11-0. They're now off for a week before meeting up with UConn on Monday the 28th at MSG.

These are Brenda's exact words after their recent victory, "We needed our nonconference to grow as a team, to get our feet wet. We're ready now. We understand we're going into UConn and conference play and we know what to expect." [LINK]

Obviously, they are playing well. Brenda is a good coach, and since she knows what to expect, and is ready, what should we do?

With LSU pretty beat up, I think it is safe to assume UConn improves to 10-0 tonight. But then, what about next week? Who goes home with the "and 1" record, UConn or Maryland?

Home game for us, so Maryland goes home with the blemished record.

Reaction Score

Could be, but Geno also knows what to expect and his team is also ready. UConn win.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score

honestly, I don't think it's gonna be all THAT tough. The mighty Terps led MD-Eastern Shore 81-29 after 3 quarters yesterday, and, proceeded to outscore their opponents 25-1 in the final quarter. To me, that tells you all you need to know about Freese and MD's confidence. Only bullies step on an injured kitten. Bullies respond very poorly when they run into somebody who is stronger than they are.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Please, this game isn't even going to be close. MD is an over hyped team. Let's see who they have beaten:
UMass Lowell (3-8)
High Point (3-8)
Detroit Mercy (4-5)
Old Dominion (3-7)
South Dakota State (9-3)
Pitt (7-4)
Syracuse (6-3)
Central CT (2-9)
Loyola (7-3)
Southern (???)
MD Eastern Shore (3-9)

This is a team some people are getting into a dither about? This is going to be another 30 point win.

Reaction Score
Brenda bloviates - her real expectation

th

Reaction Score
I have watched Maryland play several times. When they are playing well they are quite impressive. However, they have yet to put together a complete game for four quarters (sounds like the game against UMES may have been close) and they haven't played anyone as talented as the Huskies yet. If they bring their A game for four quarters it won't be a cake walk. If they don't, the results won't be pretty for Brenda and the Terps.

Reaction Score
I went to the UMES game yesterday. The Terps' opposition was less than hapless, if that's possible. That said, I was impressed with Brene Mosley, who plays much like MoJeff and finished with 23 on 9/10 shooting, I think. I didn't see much offense from Maryland's bigs because the guards were shooting lights out from three and Brenda had her team pressing to force turnovers even when the hapless Seahawks were helpless late in the game.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Please, this game isn't even going to be close. MD is an over hyped team. Let's see who they have beaten:
UMass Lowell (3-8)
High Point (3-8)
Detroit Mercy (4-5)
Old Dominion (3-7)
South Dakota State (9-3)
Pitt (7-4)
Syracuse (6-3)
Central CT (2-9)
Loyola (7-3)
Southern (???)
MD Eastern Shore (3-9)

This is a team some people are getting into a dither about? This is going to be another 30 point win.
The Southern University Jaguars are 3-6. The South Dakota Killer Jackrabbits lost by 7 point to MD on a neutral court. SDSU is a nice team that beat DePaul and lost to ND by 11.

Reaction Score
I went to the UMES game yesterday. The Terps' opposition was less than hapless, if that's possible. That said, I was impressed with Brene Mosley, who plays much like MoJeff and finished with 23 on 9/10 shooting, I think. I didn't see much offense from Maryland's bigs because the guards were shooting lights out from three and Brenda had her team pressing to force turnovers even when the hapless Seahawks were helpless late in the game.

Classy move, from a clueless coach

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Maryland' schedule to date has been dreadful. The toughest teams they have played are based on Massey ratings:
South Dakota State: #39 (by a score of 62-55)
Syracuse: #45 (82-64)
Pittsburgh: #87 (70-49)
The rest of the schedule: #203, #222, #254, #270, #276, #281 #290, #310

To put that into perspective, Nebraska is #38 in Massey and Uconn won that game 88-46. Uconn has played one team worse than Pittsburgh - Colgate #307, 5 of the others were better than SDSU with the other two ranked #49 and #53.

Maryland is a good team, but they haven't played any really good teams yet, while Uconn has faced and beaten better or equal teams already.

Reaction Score

What we should do is forfeit. If the Terps know what to expect and are ready I guess we have no chance. I don't want to lose 106-30.

HGN

Reaction Score

Maryland has a tough team and a very good coach who tries to get the best out of her players. Frese has been to FF's and has won a NC . So she is no rookie at pressure games. I look for a good and tough game. If the Terps are within 10 in the 4th quarter they could be trouble. They have a space eating center in Brionne Jones and good perimeter players with talent. And they have got size. Morgan will have her hands full in the paint with Jones. The BIG difference that I see is they have NO ONE to match up with Stewie.......... If Stewie brings her "A" game , UConn wins going away.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Brenda hasn't learned. Her OOC schedule is less than impressive - and I'm being nice.

She may know what to expect - Maryland scores about 55 points. Not even close to enough.

Sorry Brenda, your first loss is coming. UCONN wins!!!!!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to this one. I really have nothing against Brenda and MD, but I enjoy seeing her get humbled, especially when she's talking nonsense about needing to play one of the worst non-conference schedules in the country to get her team's "feet wet".

UConn wins by 15+, I'm hoping closer to 25 or 30.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to this one. I really have nothing against Brenda and MD, but I enjoy seeing her get humbled, especially when she's talking nonsense about needing to play one of the worst non-conference schedules in the country to get her team's "feet wet".

UConn wins by 15+, I'm hoping closer to 25 or 30.

Like Mulkey, BF can use games against weaker opponents to learn what does and doesn't work in terms of different lineups, player weaknesses and strengths, etc. Good coaches know how to use all games as learning and teaching opportunities that can be employed at a later time.

MD will lose big to UCONN and will lose big to them again should they play in the NCAA tourney. This game will have zero benefit for MD should there be a second meeting.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
So....let me see if I've got this right? Maryland beats a cupcake by 76 points, and now she thinks they're ready for UConn?

Uh, ya know...Brenda also believes in the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus. Maryland beating UConn........ain't gonna happen! :p

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Like Mulkey, BF can use games against weaker opponents to learn what does and doesn't work in terms of different lineups, player weaknesses and strengths, etc. Good coaches know how to use all games as learning and teaching opportunities that can be employed at a later time.

MD will lose big to UCONN and will lose big to them again should they play in the NCAA tourney. This game will have zero benefit for MD should there be a second meeting.

Over the last five years ND and UConn are the most successful teams in the country and they each consistently schedule tough non-conference schedules. So I don't buy for one second that it's necessary in any way to play weak teams early in the season.

But if that's what Frese thinks, more power to her. I'll continue to enjoy when UConn and ND beat the tar out of her teams.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Who cares about Maryland, we gotta get by LSU - ahem, a team from the best conference in America. The (and I say this with awe in my voice) SouthEastern Conference.

Come on Geaux UCONN. Hold that Tiger.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The problem with playing teams like MD Eastern Shore is it really doesn't matter what your players do, their players aren't going to be good enough to exploit any mistakes - you get more of a workout and challenge in practice. Pressing and trapping and running fast breaks is a waste after the first five minutes. Playing teams like Syracuse you at least have chances to see what doesn't work because they have some players that can actually match you physically. Playing a well coached team like SDSU again helps because while their players aren't equal physically they do have skill and discipline, and can burn a good team that gets lazy or has an off night.

Good coaches certainly can use blow outs to their advantage if they use them to really work on specific issues in the half court, but beyond a bit of full court pressure and trapping and fast breaking at the beginning of each half to get the juices flowing I think that kind of play is pretty useless because the competition just isn't good enough. If you want to practice your team's stamina, do it in practice against either your male practice players or your own second team - run scrimmages for 20 minutes without stop three times over a 1.5 hour practice and see how they do against each other, not some outclassed team that can't keep up for five minutes, let alone 20 minutes.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
My experience is that a a collection of weak opponents and low-margin victories foreshadows a loss to a top-flight team when a matchup with one occurs. UcMiami has essentially made that point already, so I won't belabor the seven-point win over South Dakota State.

In any event, UMD has played against strong competition in the past two seasons to make consecutive Final Fours, only to lose by 20+ to national finalists (ND and UConn, respectively) both times. For Maggie Dixon, UMD doesn't even have the experience of making it that far in the NCAA tourney. Rather, this feels closer to previous games between UMD and UConn in recent years, especially with Stewie involved. I'm thinking Hartford in December 2012 (Hartford), March 2013 (Bridgeport regional semis), December 2013 (College Park), and April 2015 (Tampa national semis). All double-digit wins, most routs. With Stewie and Mo as seniors, Tuck in the mix, and the other depth/experience on the squad, I just don't see the Terps matching up. Brenda does have some pretty good height on her roster, though...

Looking forward to watching Stewie shine in her home state, on the big stage (MSG and national TV), with her long frame and wealth of experience. This is her time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom