2025 Recruiting: - Braylon Mullins discusses his recruitment, timeline | Page 25 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Braylon Mullins discusses his recruitment, timeline

Reaction Score
For everyone concerned that our recruiting is lacking or we are struggling...try to remember this. It's amazing how some people still don't understand "In Hurley We Trust"

Between this and yelling “you’re wasting taxpayer money” Hurley is a quote machine these last couple weeks. I think the more championships we win the more unfiltered he gets. I love it

Reaction Score
Between this and yelling “you’re wasting taxpayer money” Hurley is a quote machine these last couple weeks. I think the more championships we win the more unfiltered he gets. I love it
He's a wild man. The guy has spilled out all his deepest darkest personal struggles at the same time he's talking . I don't know how long this will go but I'm loving the hell out of it.

Reaction Score
Is it possible for someone to explain this revenue sharing thing and how it will adversely affect bball only schools and the Big East? If this isn't the place, then just ignore.
It has not been finalized yet, so there are no firm details, only a plan proposed by the NCAA in conjunction with lawyers. To alleviate future lawsuit concerns, the NCAA reached a settlement with a number of class-action lawsuits happening concurrently to restructure its rules in regards to essentially paying players. They're calling it the House Settlement (one of the cases, not the representatives). The NCAA will allow the schools to share up to a cap of ~$23 million in the first year (likely '25-'26). The number will be adjusted occasionally based on 22% percent of the average power-conference school’s annual revenue each season from media rights, ticket sales and sponsorships.

Schools can choose to opt out of paying or allocate this $23 million as they see fit among their programs. The settlement also includes back pay for athletes denied NIL by NCAA unjustly over the last decade or so (up to the statue of limitations), and that revenue is being split 80-15-5 or so (football, basketball, other). Many football-playing P5 schools will likely split the $23 million similarly, which would put roughly $5 million towards basketball.

Current NIL system and collectives would be subject to a clearinghouse that would make sure the outside school NIL agreements are legitimate and essentially that this is not additional pay to play coming from the schools. Some schools will bring their NIL in-house and fundraise to meet the $23 mil. Others will keep it separate because the outside money will be essentially on top of the "cap" of $23 mil.

So if P5 schools are paying rosters $5 million plus NIL collective money, Big East schools should be able to stay competitive or even have an advantage since theoretically they can spend AD money up to $23 million on basketball. The problem is that they likely don't have that much money, because their media rights deals are like 25% of the lowest P4 deals. Basketball-prioritizing P4 schools will likely have the most money to spend. If say Duke decides to only spend $10 mil on football and $13 mil on basketball (plus $7 mil in outside NIL), they could be spending $20 million on the roster and teams in the Big East would likely not be able to sniff that. If we were to join a P4 conference, it could enable us to prioritize basketball and operate like that as well. But we need a competent enough football program to get in the door.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Basketball-prioritizing P4 schools will likely have the most money to spend. If say Duke decides to only spend $10 mil on football and $13 mil on basketball (plus $7 mil in outside NIL), they could be spending $20 million on the roster and teams in the Big East would likely not be able to sniff that.
Yupppp and it’s the bball prioritizing P4 schools that we have been/are/should be competing against for chips and recruits ie UNC, Duke, UK, KU, UCLA, MSU, IU, Zona, Arkansas, Houston, Baylor

Reaction Score
It has not been finalized yet, so there are no firm details, only a plan proposed by the NCAA in conjunction with lawyers. To alleviate future lawsuit concerns, the NCAA reached a settlement with a number of class-action lawsuits happening concurrently to restructure its rules in regards to essentially paying players. They're calling it the House Settlement (one of the cases, not the representatives). The NCAA will allow the schools to share up to a cap of ~$23 million in the first year (likely '25-'26). The number will be adjusted occasionally based on 22% percent of the average power-conference school’s annual revenue each season from media rights, ticket sales and sponsorships.

Schools can choose to opt out of paying or allocate this $23 million as they see fit among their programs. The settlement also includes back pay for athletes denied NIL by NCAA unjustly over the last decade or so (up to the statue of limitations), and that revenue is being split 80-15-5 or so (football, basketball, other). Many football-playing P5 schools will likely split the $23 million similarly, which would put roughly $5 million towards basketball.

Current NIL system and collectives would be subject to a clearinghouse that would make sure the outside school NIL agreements are legitimate and essentially that this is not additional pay to play coming from the schools. Some schools will bring their NIL in-house and fundraise to meet the $23 mil. Others will keep it separate because the outside money will be essentially on top of the "cap" of $23 mil.

So if P5 schools are paying rosters $5 million plus NIL collective money, Big East schools should be able to stay competitive or even have an advantage since theoretically they can spend AD money up to $23 million on basketball. The problem is that they likely don't have that much money, because their media rights deals are like 25% of the lowest P4 deals. Basketball-prioritizing P4 schools will likely have the most money to spend. If say Duke decides to only spend $10 mil on football and $13 mil on basketball (plus $7 mil in outside NIL), they could be spending $20 million on the roster and teams in the Big East would likely not be able to sniff that. If we were to join a P4 conference, it could enable us to prioritize basketball and operate like that as well. But we need a competent enough football program to get in the door.
Thank You for the very well written and clearly explained response.

Reaction Score

When this was announced, SEC coaches ( I particularly remember Oats) were complaining at the potential advantage this would give Big East school.

awy

Reaction Score
so compared to previous rumors uconn bumped by 50k and that seemed to be enough. iirc it's in the range of what liam got and that was seen as reasonable.

JerseyAlum

St. Anthony's Fan; UConn tennis alum
Reaction Score
imagine typing a line like this after the team won 2 championships by historic margins
Yeah, I disagree with the premise: The Big East is fine for competition, and UConn throws in credible non-conference matchups and pre-conference tourneys a plenty.

Let's see who Kansas plays before conference games: Duke, NC State, Creighton, Michigan St, UNC
Let's see who UConn plays before conference games: Maui invitational (Memphis, but could also play UNC, Iowa St, Michigan St, Auburn), Baylor, Texas, Gonzaga.

So not buying the argument about top tier competition and even in the conferences, UConn can play Depaul and Gtown, but Kansas can play their bottom dwellers.

And our NIL has some good backers as well: Home | Name, Image, and Likeness at UConn

We are and will be just fine.

Reaction Score

The scout in this tweet says that likely Furphy is in 2025 draft. While I doubt that, it differs from the Mullins Bataan death march recording assertion that hes a bench player or 3 star. Mullins did say early that Hurley saw him as one and done (doubt that too), but therefore Furphy commitment shouldnt make difference in his decision

Reaction Score
He's a wild man. The guy has spilled out all his deepest darkest personal struggles at the same time he's talking . I don't know how long this will go but I'm loving the hell out of it.
Agree 100%, just can’t imagine having a better person coach UConn

Reaction Score

Unfortunately for IU, he’s choosing between a coach/offensive system that is possibly the best in NCAA for someone of his skill set and one that is quite possibly the worst in NCAA for his skill set. Rare you see such a stark difference in that regard for a player.

Last edited:

JerseyAlum

St. Anthony's Fan; UConn tennis alum
Reaction Score
Unfortunately for IU, he’s choosing between a coach/offensive system that is possibly the best in NCAA for someone of his skill set and one that is quite possibly the worst in NCAA for his skill set. Rate you see such a stark difference in that regard for a player.
$ now and local vs winning, and better player development.

For OAD (if he is) IU would be very short sighted.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately for IU, he’s choosing between a coach/offensive system that is possibly the best in NCAA for someone of his skill set and one that is quite possibly the worst in NCAA for his skill set. Rare you see such a stark difference in that regard for a player.
Have said this all along - UConn just too good a fit, IU too bad a fit. If he was going to IU it would be for reasons other than practical logic and/or short term $$, and he doesn’t strike me as an emotional decision making kinda kid.

Reaction Score
What are the facts? That we crush it in recruiting every year now?
For what I took away from Bendm’s comment, he said Duke can suck and still sign five 5* recruits while it seems we will land good players but all will not be 5*. I would believe that to be true. I’m not suggesting that we need five 5* to win another natty as we’ve proven these past two years only that it appears we have to work harder than a few of the blue blue bloods to woo recruits, while they have recruits clambering at the Kentucky, Kansas and Duke doors.

Reaction Score
For what I took away from Bendm’s comment, he said Duke can suck and still sign five 5* recruits while it seems we will land good players but all will not be 5*. I would believe that to be true. I’m not suggesting that we need five 5* to win another natty as we’ve proven these past two years only that it appears we have to work harder than a few of the blue blue bloods to woo recruits, while they have recruits clambering at the Kentucky, Kansas and Duke doors.
I feel like that’s begun to change starting with Liam and continuing into this cycle. The winning and putting guys in the lottery and the draft has gotten recruiting to the point where it appears that it will be self sustaining off that reputation. Hurley and the staff has gone from top recruits listening, to top recruits visiting, to top recruits committing and moving their timelines up and eliminating other schools to not lose their place in line. They’re on the precipice of juggernaut territory where you have a staff that can get most of the kids they want that they feel would be perfect pieces in a proven great system.

Last edited:

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I’m serious and am just as big a UConn fan as you are. Only difference is I can see what Hurley and Luke are up against. I hope to god that Mullins and Reibe come here, that would be great. Ask yourself why there are there so many posts by hard UConn fans who continually ask why these kids are not lining to play for the best coach in the game? The reason is UConn is in a crappy basketball conference, with an athletic department starved for cash. Even Cooper Flagg probably wishes he could play for Hurley instead of Scheyer, but not if his short time in college is spent playing multiple conference games against Seton Hall, Providence, DePaul, Xavier, Butler or Marquette.
Asking myself why kids are not lining up - and this is a borderline red herring - they're fricking 17 year olds with crazy pressure from all sides. I'm sure you would have been completely level-headed, but not everyone can think so clearly and it is a weird mountain to die on to ascribe that to a single issue.

And you seem to be claiming that these kids are solely focused on in-conference exposure, and don't care about the top flight OOC schedule or those nine games that end the season.

Finally, other than Flagg - who was the biggest prospect in a decade and the lockiest of Duke locks until Hurley almost rescued him - which targets that the staff determined are good fits for UConn have not had us in their final 3-5 (which seems to be a pretty good indication of "lining up to play for").

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom