2025 Recruiting: - Braylon Mullins discusses his recruitment, timeline | Page 23 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Braylon Mullins discusses his recruitment, timeline

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Was this in the podcast?
It was on the board.

I apologize for putting everyone through that without properly vetting it first. Smh

Thanks @HooperScooper for finding the appropriate time where they get into the recruitment.

They touch on it briefly beforehand but they mostly just say if it’s a basketball decision then it’s no question it should be UConn.

awy

Reaction Score
ok at 1:11:xx, the furphy news isn't from the barham guy it's from the indiana hosts, but the 247 analyst said he expects furphy to be a bench guy and doesn't conflict with mullins.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The one interesting note I got from that was Branham suggesting Furphy is a 3-4 star prospect. Would make sense that Mullins doesn’t feel threatened by him if he’s just a roster filler.

Reaction Score
ok at 1:11:xx, the furphy news isn't from the barham guy it's from the indiana hosts, but the 247 analyst said he expects furphy to be a bench guy and doesn't conflict with mullins. what i can gather from his response is that he's not seen furphy a lot and rated him as a 3 star, and that he acted rather defensively possibly protecting their projection of mullins to uconn.

Reaction Score
I’m serious and am just as big a UConn fan as you are. Only difference is I can see what Hurley and Luke are up against. I hope to god that Mullins and Reibe come here, that would be great. Ask yourself why there are there so many posts by hard UConn fans who continually ask why these kids are not lining to play for the best coach in the game? The reason is UConn is in a crappy basketball conference, with an athletic department starved for cash. Even Cooper Flagg probably wishes he could play for Hurley instead of Scheyer, but not if his short time in college is spent playing multiple conference games against Seton Hall, Providence, DePaul, Xavier, Butler or Marquette.

Reaction Score
Yes much rather play relevant games against Syracuse, pitt, wake, Virginia tech, Clemson, gt etc. aside fom unc and Duke ACC has been dreadful the last few years

awy

Reaction Score
prospects do care about exposure but uconn doesn't need the big east for that. this team is getting a lot of free exposure by their own winning ways. there's a real anti-big east bias/marginalization by neglect by the p4 when it comes to selection sunday though, and that can affect overall perception of conference depth.

Reaction Score
prospects do care about exposure but uconn doesn't need the big east for that. this team is getting a lot of free exposure by their own winning ways. there's a real anti-big east bias/marginalization by neglect by the p4 when it comes to selection sunday though, and that can affect overall perception of conference depth.
Last season is the only time I remember the Big East getting screwed.

Reaction Score
I think it would go way up, donors won’t throw good money after bad. At the same time top recruits want to improve by playing the best competition, they want to be prepared for the next level, and get the best contract possible. Uconn has the best coach in the game, kids know that, but they also want to play against the best competition possible all season long, and UConn doesn’t offer that, and the donors know it too.
I assume there could be a more stupid take than this. I’m just at a loss as to what it might be.

Reaction Score
schools will be paying kids directly starting next year or whenever revenue sharing is approved, and the percentage of revenue that a school can share is significantly tied to tv revenue. BE schools will only be able to share a fraction of the revenue that the P4 schools can, so we will really need our collectives/donors/NIL to go up in order to stay competitive in the BE
Agree with all that. But my point was it hasn’t happened yet.

Reaction Score
The one interesting note I got from that was Branham suggesting Furphy is a 3-4 star prospect. Would make sense that Mullins doesn’t feel threatened by him if he’s just a roster filler.
If this guy is right Hurley has all the recruits locked up and is now focused on finding a Romoglou replacement in the middle of October, because re-assuring Mullins, Reibe, and Bundalo while prepping for the season isn't enough to keep him busy.

Reaction Score
Thank you @HuskyWarrior611 for that podcast link. I thought the indiana guys asked good questions of the 24/7 guest Travis and that both the answers and the views from the perspective of another fan base was interesting. Interest points:
1. Not only did the 24'7 recruiting analyst say he didn't know Mullin's decision, but he said with confidence that Mullins himself doesn't know yet, so clearly all analyst projections are guesses without inside info, because this guy knows this recruitment.
2. The Indiana guys concede if it is solely a basketball decision it is a no brainer to UConn
3. There was a great deal of insight into the development of the relationship with the Mullins family and that generally they do not know the decisions of the kids until pretty close to the 'reveal'. In Haralson's case maybe only a couple hours before.
4. The Reibe UConn & Kansas as leading was a comment made with conviction.
5. The Furphy dialogue was confusing at first because the 24/7 guest did not seem to know of UConn's involvement. On the other hand he knew Furphy and his game and clearly sees our interest as being for a player on the bench who could develop. His view of Furphy being high 3* or low 4* was the basis of saying he wouldn't view it as impeding UConn with Mullins. (they all call him Brey). Obviously this is contrary to @Zionn's post.
6. He expects Mullins to need more than 1 yr

Reaction Score
Thank you @HuskyWarrior611 for that podcast link. I thought the indiana guys asked good questions of the 24/7 guest Travis and that both the answers and the views from the perspective of another fan base was interesting. Interest points:
1. Not only did the 24'7 recruiting analyst say he didn't know Mullin's decision, but he said with confidence that Mullins himself doesn't know yet, so clearly all analyst projections are guesses without inside info, because this guy knows this recruitment.
2. The Indiana guys concede if it is solely a basketball decision it is a no brainer to UConn
3. There was a great deal of insight into the development of the relationship with the Mullins family and that generally they do not know the decisions of the kids until pretty close to the 'reveal'. In Haralson's case maybe only a couple hours before.
5. The Furphy dialogue was confusing at first because the 24/7 guest did not seem to know of UConn's involvement. On the other hand he knew Furphy and his game and clearly sees our interest as being for a player on the bench who could develop. His view of Furphy being high 3* or low 4* was the basis of saying he wouldn't view it as impeding UConn with Mullins. (they all call him Brey). Obviously this is contrary to @Zionn's post.
I wish you posted this before I listened to it for 45 minutes. lol

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Appreciate you slamming down the lob with this summary!
Slam Dunk Sport GIF by NCAA March Madness

Reaction Score
Yeesh this is a rough take. To address a few things:

The ACC had perhaps the worst P5 hoops conference last year, as a fairly identity-less (SMU, Cal/Stanford) wannabe football first conference. While their March run turned out ok (UNC bounced early, Clemson with a nice run, Duke got a lucky road and NC St was a Cinderella) no one is doing jumping jacks for the ACC hoops schedule. Their conference tourney is an utter bore sitting in Greensborough. Flagg went fo Duke for its brand and because he and his parents have fawned over it nostalgically. Who can blame him for one year in a situation where he’d have to flop not to be the first pick?

The BE is a hoops first, intimate league with a post season tournament seen as the far and away best, in an iconic venue and best location in the US. It has close knit historic regional rivalries, and likely the best assortment of coaches of all leagues. It has 4 of the last 8 NCs. Take a look at the first round of the draft last year: 3 lottery picks and 4 first rounders, that leads all conferences.

One year kids don’t care about a schools overall economics as long as they’re getting their share and are having the best experience possible. A day and age may come when the financials of P4 schools allow them a bigger budget and decided advantage to land recruits, but we’re not there yet.

End of day who cares with the OADs. It’s yet to be proven they win other than in complimentary roles. I like what DH is doing this year in going after the 15-30 tranche where he won’t be dealing with quite the ego to leave in one year.

On the flip side you might think Kansas would have kids lining up to play for Self, but he still has to go out there and work to land the kids he wants, rarely has the UK/Duke pulls. Historic brand, 3 years out of a NC, B12. Kids have a variety of drivers, such as playing time, etc. And just maybe not every kid wants the tough love DH gives.

There may be a time soon where the landscape is problematic. We aren’t there yet.
Good stuff

Reaction Score
I assume there could be a more stupid take than this. I’m just at a loss as to what it might be.
Ok Mr Sharpy lawyer, how much NIL money goes to the Big East players and how much goes to the ACC players, not including UConn or Duke in the equation? God help the businesses you counsel.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom