2025 Recruiting: - Braylon Mullins discusses his recruitment, timeline | Page 22 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Braylon Mullins discusses his recruitment, timeline

Reaction Score
If UConn had been in the Big 12 Hurley would’ve gotten those players. Being in the Big East is a big liability. Mullins other two finalists are ACC and Big Ten teams. These kids want to play Duke, UNC, NC St, Purdue, MichSt, etc. multiple times during the season, not Providence or Seton Hall.

I think it would go way up, donors won’t throw good money after bad. At the same time top recruits want to improve by playing the best competition, they want to be prepared for the next level, and get the best contract possible. Uconn has the best coach in the game, kids know that, but they also want to play against the best competition possible all season long, and UConn doesn’t offer that, and the donors know it too.
The "best competition"? How about some metrics?
Before the start of the 2024 NCAA tourney, UConn's overall strength of schedule was #6 in the country. Are you asking for better competition than that?

Reaction Score
I’m serious and am just as big a UConn fan as you are. Only difference is I can see what Hurley and Luke are up against. I hope to god that Mullins and Reibe come here, that would be great. Ask yourself why there are there so many posts by hard UConn fans who continually ask why these kids are not lining to play for the best coach in the game? The reason is UConn is in a crappy basketball conference, with an athletic department starved for cash. Even Cooper Flagg probably wishes he could play for Hurley instead of Scheyer, but not if his short time in college is spent playing multiple conference games against Seton Hall, Providence, DePaul, Xavier, Butler or Marquette.
Yeesh this is a rough take. To address a few things:

The ACC had perhaps the worst P5 hoops conference last year, as a fairly identity-less (SMU, Cal/Stanford) wannabe football first conference. While their March run turned out ok (UNC bounced early, Clemson with a nice run, Duke got a lucky road and NC St was a Cinderella) no one is doing jumping jacks for the ACC hoops schedule. Their conference tourney is an utter bore sitting in Greensborough. Flagg went fo Duke for its brand and because he and his parents have fawned over it nostalgically. Who can blame him for one year in a situation where he’d have to flop not to be the first pick?

The BE is a hoops first, intimate league with a post season tournament seen as the far and away best, in an iconic venue and best location in the US. It has close knit historic regional rivalries, and likely the best assortment of coaches of all leagues. It has 4 of the last 8 NCs. Take a look at the first round of the draft last year: 3 lottery picks and 4 first rounders, that leads all conferences.

One year kids don’t care about a schools overall economics as long as they’re getting their share and are having the best experience possible. A day and age may come when the financials of P4 schools allow them a bigger budget and decided advantage to land recruits, but we’re not there yet.

End of day who cares with the OADs. It’s yet to be proven they win other than in complimentary roles. I like what DH is doing this year in going after the 15-30 tranche where he won’t be dealing with quite the ego to leave in one year.

On the flip side you might think Kansas would have kids lining up to play for Self, but he still has to go out there and work to land the kids he wants, rarely has the UK/Duke pulls. Historic brand, 3 years out of a NC, B12. Kids have a variety of drivers, such as playing time, etc. And just maybe not every kid wants the tough love DH gives.

There may be a time soon where the landscape is problematic. We aren’t there yet.

Reaction Score
Self and his staff work really, really hard as recruiters. He's not recruiting people from a barstool by watching YouTube comps.

We're in the ideal space right now, competing for a select group that we prioritize and taking nothing for granted. We're shopping in the exact aisle of the supermarket that Dan wants to be shopping in. It would be great if the Top 10 actual best high schoolers (not necessarily correlating to the "Top 10") were a perfect fit for the team and culture every season. It doesn't work that way.

Reaction Score
Why didn’t Kentucky Duke and UNC get 100% of their recruiting targets between 1990-2015?

Competition amongst programs? Roster fit? Path to playing time? Benefits? Familiar pull?

I know it may Sound crazy, but those factors still exist, even with money being thrown around.

Hurley has found the secret key that “successful people” will bet on themselves and work the hardest.

Most talented doesn’t equal most successful.

And most successful people have options, know they have them, and explore them ( a la Danny this offseason).

People out here pretending people aren’t going to act like people. (now that’s a boneyard sentence if I’ve ever heard one, lol)

Reaction Score
I’m serious and am just as big a UConn fan as you are. Only difference is I can see what Hurley and Luke are up against. I hope to god that Mullins and Reibe come here, that would be great. Ask yourself why there are there so many posts by hard UConn fans who continually ask why these kids are not lining to play for the best coach in the game? The reason is UConn is in a crappy basketball conference, with an athletic department starved for cash. Even Cooper Flagg probably wishes he could play for Hurley instead of Scheyer, but not if his short time in college is spent playing multiple conference games against Seton Hall, Providence, DePaul, Xavier, Butler or Marquette.
I can't do a full answer on here but I will briefly respond. Recruiting is always hard. For everyone. You just don't follow the day to day of recruiting for other programs like you do for UConn. And remember Hurley has specific requirements for his recruits. He's not just recruiting top 10 kids just because they're ranked in the top 10 like Duke and Calipari. And what exactly has that done for them anyway? Hurley narrowed down his wants to a few guys who fit his profile. He's 1 for 1 so far. Will you be happy if UConn gets Mullins and Reibe? I promise you the program isn't falling off the map if they miss on both.

It seems some people are never pleased. It's insane.

Reaction Score
imagine typing a line like this after the team won 2 championships by historic margins
And after we have 3 top 10 recruiting classes in the last four years (and probably staring at 4 out of 5 this year).

Reaction Score
I can't do a full answer on here but I will briefly respond. Recruiting is always hard. For everyone. You just don't follow the day to day of recruiting for other programs like you do for UConn. And remember Hurley has specific requirements for his recruits. He's not just recruiting top 10 kids just because they're ranked in the top 10 like Duke and Calipari. And what exactly has that done for them anyway? Hurley narrowed down his wants to a few guys who fit his profile. He's 1 for 1 so far. Will you be happy if UConn gets Mullins and Reibe? I promise you the program isn't falling off the map if they miss on both.

It seems some people are never pleased. It's insane.
UConn went back to back winning their tournament games by an average of 22 ppg. Some randos on the boneyard, "So what, they didn't win each game by 50."

Reaction Score
I think it was Rob on Top Dogs who said the BE is 22 and 6 in The tournament the last few years. There are reasons why recruits go elsewhere but I just do see the league as being a big deterrent

awy

Reaction Score
He is right that it will probably get worse for the BE in comparison to the football conferences due to revenue disparity and NIL becoming more important. but winning solves a lot of problems. the exposure/competition should be fine since they'll make deep tourney runs every year. realignment wise UConn should be able to find a good place.

Reaction Score
I think it was Rob on Top Dogs who said the BE is 22 and 6 in The tournament the last few years. There are reasons why recruits go elsewhere but I just do see the league as being a big deterrent
I do t agree with this poster AT ALL. But the 22-6 record is hilarious when you realize we account for 12-0 of that.

awy

Reaction Score
the interview starts at 43 minutes in, these guys sure ramble a lot.

seems like they spent a lot of time cultivating the relationship with mullins to get the scoop, which makes their crystal ball to uconn all the more important.

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Thanks and yeah. When they started talking about how one guy pronounced south like “souph” for 5 mins I almost cut the whole thing off

Reaction Score
I do t agree with this poster AT ALL. But the 22-6 record is hilarious when you realize we account for 12-0 of that.
In 2023 the Big East had the best winning percentage of any major conference even if you took out our 6-0 record.

Reaction Score

seems like they spent a lot of time cultivating the relationship with mullins to get the scoop, which makes their crystal ball to uconn all the more important.
When does the Mullins discussion start? This is painful to listen to.

Reaction Score
It has far more to do with being outbid for players with hard cash and not our conference. And remember — the schools aren’t paying kids so it’s not the value of the TV contracts. It’s how much the donors are coughing up for recruits. And there is no reason to think our amount is going to go way up by LEAVING the Big East.
schools will be paying kids directly starting next year or whenever revenue sharing is approved, and the percentage of revenue that a school can share is significantly tied to tv revenue. BE schools will only be able to share a fraction of the revenue that the P4 schools can, so we will really need our collectives/donors/NIL to go up in order to stay competitive in the BE

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44