2020 Recruiting: - Brandon Johnson | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Brandon Johnson

C

Chief00

I don’t know how good of a chance we have at Johnson, but I actually think he would be a very good fit.
1.Adds frontcourt depth to a very unlucky team with injuries.
2. is experienced
3. Is a weapon on offense
4. Allows us to still stretch the floor and go big at the same time.

remember, Bouknight is back next year. We have our star. It’s year 3 for hurley, we are bringing on a lot of talent, especially with Jackson...Cole should be a good point guard and the other guys will all improve. My only worry is on defense. Losing akok (to injury), gilbert, and Vital is tough because they all were good defenders but I think we will be improved offensively.
Valid concern regarding a defensive drop off despite Hurley’s best efforts.

Reaction Score
Im not offended. I didn’t know you were Martins cousin. Relax guy. Way to win the most aggressive poster award. You sure showed me. You clearly seem to feel more strongly about it than I do.

please, i'm not even close to the most aggressive. fishy and stainmaster might have that distinction, and i never resort to ad hominem attacks unlike a lot of people on here.

Last edited:

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Tough kid, will grab many boards, want him to be a husky no doubt but his “touch” is almost comically bad. He needs to make his plays off misses and needs to dunk the ball as much as possible. This isn’t a kid we will be running plays for.

Reaction Score
Tough kid, will grab many boards, want him to be a husky no doubt but his “touch” is almost comically bad. He needs to make his plays off misses and needs to dunk the ball as much as possible. This isn’t a kid we will be running plays for.
Hmmm...maybe you’ve seen different footage than I have, but I thought he had a decent looking shot. Shot 74% from the line and 33% from 3. What’s comical about those numbers from a 4 man?

Reaction Score
His touch around the rim is actually great. It looks great on video and he shoots a great % close to the basket. With him you have to drill down into his 2P% which is ugly on the surface.

I wouldn’t overlook him. He scored basically neck and neck with Bouknight in terms of pace.

Bouk 29.1 PTS per 100 poss, 112 ORtg, 56% TS
Johnson 28.7 / 107.2 / 53.9%
Vital 29.5 / 110.7 / 55.4%

Johnson’s 2P% is watered down due to high usage. He actually shot 66.4% at the rim. The glaring issue: a ridiculous 46.2% of his FGA were midrange jumpers and he only shot 34.5% on them. That will always be a part of his game, but he should cut that 46.2% in half. That would greatly add to his efficiency.

As a reminder, Shonn Miller’s ORtg went up 23.7 points when he cut his usage from 30% to 21% at UConn. Not to say this kid = Miller, but he’s no slouch.

To top it all off he would have been the best defensive rebounder on the team (21.9% DReb) and is a respectable offensive rebounder (8.5% career OReb%).

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Hearing that we don’t have real interest.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
But we haven't made the NCAA tournament since 2016. I don't think we are attractive to players as we think...yet. We will get there soon.
I'm a grad and die-hard husky fan, and I'll gladly swap "I was there, I remember when" experiences with anyone, but....what he said.

I'm a newb to the BY. What's most surprised me is how lots of the prolific posters here live inside a crazy-insulated UConn bubble. Do you guys remember actually watching basketball before the Dream Season, or even the '99 chip? UConn was "elite" for a period of time. A pretty long time. As was UCLA, Indiana, and I'm sure a dozen others that considered themselves "bluebloods" at some point. For years now, sadly, we haven't been a distant factor in top-tier D1 basketball. Prove me wrong. I think that's about to change. But the self entitlement on display from some of the regulars here baffles me.

We're coming back. But we don't have to act like Duke fans. Let's just enjoy watching them actually earn it again. I'm pretty sure Hurley and Co. can do it.

Yeah, i'm grumpy....I've bee stuck in my house for 3 weeks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not surprised he didn't choose UConn. Great PT opportunity at Minnesota.

Between Oturu heading to the NBA draft, Robbins a sit-one transfer, Alihan Demir graduating and Eric Curry recovering from a knee injury, there's a big need for bigs in Minnesota. He'll likely start at the 4 along side Isaiah Ihnen.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know we don't seem to be in on many other guys right now, but not upset over this one

Reaction Score
Oh wow. I went from thinking a week ago we’d be adding Vaughn and Nolley and we’d be a top 15 team. Boy has that changed. Need that one more piece. I trust the staff

Reaction Score
.....Gophers land transfer Brandon Johnson from Western Michigan

Reaction Score
It's amazing to me how regional the transfer market has been so far and wonder if it is because of Covid. I liked Johnson's game a lot but didn't imagine we were really in on him for that reason. I really wonder if High School recruits will be thinking the same way.

Reaction Score
Just committed to Minnesota .

Seemed to be the right size, skill and aggressiveness we needed so is it possible we backed off because Hurley had concerns about how well a one year player so focused on producing videos about himself would fit in with the strong team identity created the past two years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom