2020 Recruiting: - Brandon Johnson | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Brandon Johnson

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Only 2 (Carlton and Javonte Brown Ferguson) are really "centers"...and Sanogo is much more ready to play than Javonte Brown Ferguson and better than Carlton. Then Carlton (and Whaley) both graduate. Plenty of opportunity for Sanogo to start and play big minutes as a freshman here. Not to say I expect him to come here, but lack of opportunity would not be the reason why he doesn't.

It wouldn’t shock me if the plan is for springs to also get most of his minutes at the 5.

But we’ll see who the last roster spot is before really being able to get into that.

I’m certainly not against getting a top 5 recruit and seeing how it works for a year.

the Q

Reaction Score
Why, Sanogo would start here? Half the board has him going to Seton Hall and they have Obiagu and Mamukelashvili.

Would he? Is he starting over whaley? Or are you moving whaley to the 4?

Reaction Score

Whaley started at the 4 last year. You aren't "moving" Whaley to the 4, you are leaving him at the 4. Sure, he'll play some 5, but if Sanogo came here, Whaley is your starting 4, Sanogo is your starting 5, and Carlton is your backup 5.

We don't really have another starting 4 option at the moment unless we play really small with Jackson or Polley there.

Reaction Score
Either play them together or one comes off the bench. Point is there isn't much to beat here in the frontcourt as currently constructed. Carlton doesn't fit at all with what we're trying to do here, Javonte Brown Ferguson is a project. I love what I saw out of Whaley at the end of the season but it's just one guy. We're a perfect fit for Sanogo, a ton of playing time on a team that could be damn good. Don't really see the other perceived leaders offering that.

the Q

Reaction Score
Either play them together or one comes off the bench. Point is there isn't much to beat here in the frontcourt as currently constructed. Carlton doesn't fit at all with what we're trying to do here, Javonte Brown Ferguson is a project. I love what I saw out of Whaley at the end of the season but it's just one guy. We're a perfect fit for Sanogo, a ton of playing time on a team that could be damn good. Don't really see the other perceived leaders offering that.

Thanks.

I really don’t disagree. Plus having a dude that’s a load helps with the Igbanu types who always seem to give us fits (to be fair many times that happens, see how guys in the last like Roland Roberts or those other 6-6/6-7 houses from mid majors have been major factors in Cinderella’s).

Reaction Score
I like Sanogo a ton but I think people are underestimating how hard it is for freshmen bigs, especially a reclassified big, to have an immediate impact. One of our two scholarships was used on the future in Martin. The second needs to go to the player that helps us now. That player is Johnson more so than Sanogo.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why, Sanogo would start here? Half the board has him going to Seton Hall and they have Obiagu and Mamukelashvili.
I don’t think it’s a given that Sanogo is better than Whaley this year. Whaley is definitely the superior defender. And either way, Whaley and Carlton will still get minutes. They both played way more than Obiagu and SM can actually stretch the floor and play the 4 sometimes. Nebraska is desperate for talent and can definitely make plenty of room.

This isn’t towards you, but Whaley is not a PF. If he was played there the offense would suffer. Akok can shoot it a bit and the offense was still light years better with 6’4 Brendan Adams manning the 4 after Akok was hurt. That shows the value of having threats pull defenders to the perimeter because Adams didn’t exactly light the world on fire himself. I don’t see Whaley getting minutes at the 4 unless we’re forced to.

Reaction Score
Whaley started at the 4 last year. You aren't "moving" Whaley to the 4, you are leaving him at the 4. Sure, he'll play some 5, but if Sanogo came here, Whaley is your starting 4, Sanogo is your starting 5, and Carlton is your backup 5.

We don't really have another starting 4 option at the moment unless we play really small with Jackson or Polley there.
He started at the 4 for a few minutes and then for the next 36 minutes the majority of his minutes were at the 5 when Carlton was out and then he'd come out and Carlton came in

Reaction Score
I don’t think it’s a given that Sanogo is better than Whaley this year. Whaley is definitely the superior defender. And either way, Whaley and Carlton will still get minutes. They both played way more than Obiagu and SM can actually stretch the floor and play the 4 sometimes. Nebraska is desperate for talent and can definitely make plenty of room.

This isn’t towards you, but Whaley is not a PF. If he was played there the offense would suffer. Akok can shoot it a bit and the offense was still light years better with 6’4 Brendan Adams manning the 4 after Akok was hurt. That shows the value of having threats pull defenders to the perimeter because Adams didn’t exactly light the world on fire himself. I don’t see Whaley getting minutes at the 4 unless we’re forced to.

With Carlton at the 5, Whaley couldn’t start at the 4 because then the offense would suffer. But I think with a more offensive 5 like Sanogo we could use Whaley more often at the 4.

Reaction Score
I like Sanogo a ton but I think people are underestimating how hard it is for freshman bigs, especially a reclassified big, to have an immediate impact. One of our two scholarships was used on the future in Martin. The second needs to go to the player that helps us now. That player is Johnson more so than Sanogo.
You also have to look ahead. What happens when carlton and whaley graduate? Who is our starting center? Javonte Brown Ferguson? We'll see.

Reaction Score
You also have to look ahead. What happens when carlton and whaley graduate? Who is our starting center? Javonte Brown Ferguson? We'll see.

As of right now, it's either Brown-Ferguson or a slightly undersized Springs. But we will definitely bring in a Center for 2021 (Etienne the most likely scenario now) if we don't land Sanogo. I imagine it would be a 3 man competition to start.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. Landing Sanogo now would also be a tremendous addition and likely be our starting C as a sophomore. If we were to sign Johnson and lose Johnson, Carlton & Whaley to graduation I'm sure we'd pursue Etienne heavily as him reclassifying to 2020 is seemingly very unlikely now. Him and Javonte Brown Ferguson would be a solid foundation of young bigs with Clingan hopefully joining in 2022. The alternative to replacing those 3 graduating bigs is signing a transfer big next offseason with a bit more experience that would be eligible right away. That is if the NCAA ever does actually pass this transfer rule...

Reaction Score

Nebraska doesn't offer any winning for Sanogo. Carlton and Whaley both played way more than Obiagu because Seton Hall had Romaro Gill.

We had to play a certain way last tear because we were so limited with bodies, especially in the frontcourt. I want that to change.

Reaction Score
I like Sanogo a ton but I think people are underestimating how hard it is for freshman bigs, especially a reclassified big, to have an immediate impact. One of our two scholarships was used on the future in Martin. The second needs to go to the player that helps us now. That player is Johnson more so than Sanogo.

Johnson this year, then add Big Mac next year seems to be where we're heading

Reaction Score
If we can get Johnson, I think it makes a lot of sense. Are we really prioritizing him though?

Reaction Score
If we can get Johnson, I think it makes a lot of sense. Are we really prioritizing him though?

No idea. But I'm sure the staff is looking at a 4 who can be an important contributor this upcoming year. I'm sure Hurley views both Polley and Whalley at the 4 as possibilities to eat minutes but not ideal. I have no idea what he thinks about Springs.

Reaction Score

To be clear, I have no insight. I hope we are pushing hard for Sanogo. If we are not confident that we are in a good position with him or that he will make a quick decision, then I hope we prioritize Johnson.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I personally prefer Horne. Any indication we’ve reached out?

Reaction Score

I am far less confident than you that Sanogo, who is just barely inside the top 50 in 2021, will reclassify to 2020 and be a lock starter for us.

Reaction Score
hurley is a master strategist. johnson is ranked the #14 grad transfer but he's the #2 stretch PF after Bruner (#12 marfo and #13 anosike arent stretches)

cole-gaff
bouk-adams
jackson-polley
johnson-springs
whaley-carlton

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He's more of a face up 4 with stretch capability, not a pure stretch. But I think that would be a nice fit in Hurley's offense with the big often getting the ball at the top of the key after setting a screen.

Reaction Score
hurley is a master strategist. johnson is ranked the #14 grad transfer but he's the #2 stretch PF after Bruner (marfo and anosike arent stretches)

cole-gaff
bouk-adams
jackson-polley
johnson-springs
whaley-carlton

I'm sure Hurley will switch the lineups around for matchups but it should look something like that, with Javonte Brown Ferguson as depth at C and hopefully Akok for February and March.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom