2020 Recruiting: - Brandon Johnson | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Brandon Johnson

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Fwiw he’s right below Marfo and Anosike in the espn transfer rankings.

Reaction Score
Fwiw he’s right below Marfo and Anosike in the espn transfer rankings.

Don't think it's worth much, but I do wonder why we didn't really go after Anosike at all. Either way, I think Johnson offers us more in terms of versatility and ability to stretch the defense than either of those guys would.

Reaction Score
I am far less confident than you that Sanogo, who is just barely inside the top 50 in 2021, will reclassify to 2020 and be a lock starter for us.

Seems like you may be the only who feels that way. I think pretty much everyone else on this board thinks he would start day one.

Reaction Score
I’ll probably get slammed for this but I’ll be pretty disappointed if we end up with Martin/Johnson. I think they’re both solid players who will help but I don’t think they push us over the edge like either Nolley or Sanogo would. It’s pretty late in the game to expect a stud but I did get my hopes up. Hopefully we land a couple of recruits to get excited about next year. I still trust Hurley with who he brought us so far.

Reaction Score
Seems like you may be the only who feels that way. I think pretty much everyone else on this board thinks he would start day one.

Not me. From what others are said I think he'll be a damn good Center. But a day one starter a year earlier than he planned coming out? If he was that ready, why would it take him this long to reclassify?

Reaction Score
Not me. From what others are said I think he'll be a damn good Center. But a day one starter a year earlier than he planned coming out? If he was that ready, why would it take him this long to reclassify?

And also, if he's ready to start in 2020, why was he only #49 in 2021?

Griggs

Yale Bowl portal 8
Reaction Score
If Whaley stood on his tippy, tippy ten toes, no one would confuse him with a real center. He is just a player.
We need another player in the front line, especially if Carlton's game continues to head south. Springs is an unkown. Ferguson looks to be years away. Akok has to learn how to use his leg. So, Hurley can not afford to wait on anyone. Take the first player who wants to commit. Four words: Sidney Wicks, Curtis Rowe.
Len Shakleford from the corner.
Still would have liked to see Jordan Bruner of Yale in Uconn uniform.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I would never say someone was "only" ranked #49. That means you expect him to be a damn good player. I just think when you take a big, and put him on the court a year earlier than you have to, the guy has to be damn great to really help you. And even if the guy has great talent, like Andre Drummond, is he going to understand the game and the coach enough to really make you better.

We have Whalley, who is much better at the 5 than the 4, Carlton, and Ferguson. Are any of them all Big EAst? Probably not. But the roster hole at the 5 is not anywhere near the hole at the 4. We need an immediately eligible PF to give us another option. Unless the staff already knows that Springs is going to be solid for 25 minutes a game.

Reaction Score

The general consensus is that he’s been underrated, and he dominated Cliff this year when they played against each other.

I’m no expert, but from everything I’ve read, he’d be a top 2 Big on the roster for the start of the season.

Reaction Score
I was extremely down on Carlton during the season for obvious reasons. But I'm also more optimistic than most about his possibility for improvement for this upcoming one.

Humans assume things will be static much more frequently than they will be. That's usually why they get predictions wrong.

Could he be the same or worse? Sure. Could he be much better? Yes, he could. We've seen the existence of Carlton being pretty good. He was quite good as a sophomore. He's got a lot of time to work on his body and will be likely more mentally engaged as a senior. People reset faster than we give them credit for, especially with good coaches.

His volatile decline makes me think it's more likely he'll have a better bounce back than most expect. It wasn't "oh his ceiling as a player was exposed with more feature and usage." No, this was a different situation. And likely that means it's fixable.

Reaction Score
I’ll probably get slammed for this but I’ll be pretty disappointed if we end up with Martin/Johnson. I think they’re both solid players who will help but I don’t think they push us over the edge like either Nolley or Sanogo would. It’s pretty late in the game to expect a stud but I did get my hopes up. Hopefully we land a couple of recruits to get excited about next year. I still trust Hurley with who he brought us so far.
what "edge" are you referring to? winning the 2020 or 2021 chips? that's an absurd bar.

martin is the #2 sit-out SF and johnson is the #2 grad-transfer stretch PF. they would be awesome pieces.

if we get johnson we're a tourney lock for 2020 and maybe a top 3 big east team. with martin and probably five new players in 2021 who knows how good we can be, but nice to hear you still trust hurley

Last edited:
Reaction Score
what "edge" are you referring to? winning the 2020 or 2021 chips? that's an absurd bar.

martin is the #2 sit-out SF and johnson is the #2 grad-transfer stretch PF. they would be awesome pieces.

if we get johnson we're a tourney lock for 2020 and maybe a top 3 big east team. with martin and probably five new players in 2021 who knows how good we can be.
No. I honestly thought adding an nba talent to the roster would give us a shot at a sweet 16 and a chance to place top 3 in the big East. Not a lot of teams have two nba draft picks starting for them. I did convince myself we had that chance but for whatever reason it seems we don’t. He’s certainly going to help and maybe we get there anyways. I don’t think that’s absurd. Are these pick ups better than the guys who we had? Yes. I don’t think I’m alone in thinking this. Preferring a different player and posting about it seems like the sort of thing this board is for.

Reaction Score

if we get johnson we're a tourney lock for 2020 and maybe a top 3 big east team. with martin and probably five new players in 2021 who knows how good we can be, but nice to hear you still trust hurley
I think Martin is a good pick up. I don’t think Johnson is a big addition but we’ll see.

Reaction Score
Preferring a different player and posting about it seems like the sort of thing this board is for.
dont acknowledge you might get "slammed" for whining and then get offended when it happens

Reaction Score
I think Martin is a good pick up. I don’t think Johnson is a big addition but we’ll see.

I don’t know how good of a chance we have at Johnson, but I actually think he would be a very good fit.
1.Adds frontcourt depth to a very unlucky team with injuries.
2. is experienced
3. Is a weapon on offense
4. Allows us to still stretch the floor and go big at the same time.

remember, Bouknight is back next year. We have our star. It’s year 3 for hurley, we are bringing on a lot of talent, especially with Jackson...Cole should be a good point guard and the other guys will all improve. My only worry is on defense. Losing akok (to injury), gilbert, and Vital is tough because they all were good defenders but I think we will be improved offensively.

Reaction Score
No. I honestly thought adding an nba talent to the roster would give us a shot at a sweet 16 and a chance to place top 3 in the big East. Not a lot of teams have two nba draft picks starting for them. I did convince myself we had that chance but for whatever reason it seems we don’t. He’s certainly going to help and maybe we get there anyways. I don’t think that’s absurd. Are these pick ups better than the guys who we had? Yes. I don’t think I’m alone in thinking this. Preferring a different player and posting about it seems like the sort of thing this board is for.

I think we are adding a potential NBA talent in Andre Jackson.

As for transfers, I don't know how many NBA talents were out there, and I certainly don't think any were ours for the taking. Yes, we're still a big-time program. But we haven't made the NCAA tournament since 2016. I don't think we are attractive to players as we think...yet. We will get there soon.

I was excited about our team at the end of the season before any moves. Johnson would make us better next year. Martin will make us better in two years, or maybe next year. Therefore, I am more excited now than I was a month ago.

Reaction Score
I think we are adding a potential NBA talent in Andre Jackson.

As for transfers, I don't know how many NBA talents were out there, and I certainly don't think any were ours for the taking. Yes, we're still a big-time program. But we haven't made the NCAA tournament since 2016. I don't think we are attractive to players as we think...yet. We will get there soon.

I was excited about our team at the end of the season before any moves. Johnson would make us better next year. Martin will make us better in two years, or maybe next year. Therefore, I am more excited now than I was a month ago.
I agree with that. I do think Martin makes us better. I also agree with Jackson but I could see him taking a little longer to adjust in offense than bouk did. We’ll be fine of course because we have bouk and cole for scoring. I’m looking forward to seeing how his ball handling and passing translates to the next level. Some of the players he looks up to are point guards.

I think we took Martin instead of maybe falling short with Nolley. Maybe the virtual visit told Hurley not to wait. I’m still a little disappointed but I’ll take these guys over waiting for the bottom of the barrel. I’m still crossing my fingers for Sanogo, I think he’s going to be a big time player in college. I’m ok with being let down in my recruiting wish list while we’re winning games and improving.

Reaction Score
dont acknowledge you might get "slammed" for whining and then get offended when it happens
Im not offended. I didn’t know you were Martins cousin. Relax guy. Way to win the most aggressive poster award. You sure showed me. You clearly seem to feel more strongly about it than I do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom