2020 Recruiting: - Brandon Johnson | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Brandon Johnson

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Seemed to be the right size, skill and aggressiveness we needed so is it possible we backed off because Hurley had concerns about how well a one year player so focused on producing videos about himself would fit in with the strong team identity created the past two years.
Yeah, the video thing seemed a little off-putting, but I'm old, so what do I know.

Reaction Score
Seemed to be the right size, skill and aggressiveness we needed so is it possible we backed off because Hurley had concerns about how well a one year player so focused on producing videos about himself would fit in with the strong team identity created the past two years.
This might come as bad news for you but Tyrese Martin committed to UConn with a video on Tuesday

Reaction Score
This might come as bad news for you but Tyrese Martin committed to UConn with a video on Tuesday

How is that relevant regarding a player Hurley has a long relationship with and knows very well versus one whom, due to today's travel bans, he could only get to know superficially?

Hurley, in fact, talked about that recently when he said today's situation makes recruiting decisions harder because you don't have the in person interactions with a player over two days of breakfasts, lunches, etc. when they're more likely to reveal who they really are.

If you don't think subtle clues influence hiring (or recruiting) decisions, you've never been in a position to hire (or recruit) for important positions. It just may be that the videos offered him some clues.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
How is that relevant regarding a player Hurley has a long relationship with and knows very well versus one whom, due to today's travel bans, he could only get to know superficially?

Hurley, in fact, talked about that recently when he said today's situation makes recruiting decisions harder because you don't have the in person interactions with a player over two days of breakfasts, lunches, etc. when they're more likely to reveal who they really are.

If you don't think subtle clues influence hiring (or recruiting) decisions, you've never been in a position to hire (or recruit) for important positions. It just may be that the videos offered him some clues.

I predict you will become increasingly dismayed by how much basketball recruits continue to use digital media in the future.

Reaction Score

Hurley isn't recruiting kids based on who commits with a video, it's as simple as that

Reaction Score
I predict you will become increasingly dismayed by how much basketball recruits continue to use digital media in the future.

You may be right. Probably because I like guys who act like they've been there before.

Reaction Score
Hurley isn't recruiting kids based on who commits with a video, it's as simple as that

I didn't say he did.

What I said was when he doesn't have the opportunity to spend time with kids as he would in a "normal" recruiting situation he loses some of his ability to figure out if a kid will fit with the team he's building. If you take that to its logical conclusion, there are nuances he may pick up from whatever interaction he's able to have with a kid that may serve as proxies.

Hurley's quote from an article I posted two weeks ago:
"Every scholarship is so important that the lack of access and ability to have recruits around us for [on a visit], or in their homes, to really get to know people, it makes it a little bit scary," UConn coach Dan Hurley said. "You could fool somebody on the phone for a half an hour. But in person? Two breakfasts, couple lunches, couple dinners, people start getting comfortable and reveal themselves. I think there's going to be a lot of mistakes both ways."

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I didn't say he did.

What I said was when he doesn't have the opportunity to spend time with kids as he would in a "normal" recruiting situation he loses some of his ability to figure out if a kid will fit with the team he's building. If you take that to its logical conclusion, there are nuances he may pick up from whatever interaction he's able to have with a kid that may serve as proxies.

Hurley's quote from an article I posted two weeks ago:
"Every scholarship is so important that the lack of access and ability to have recruits around us for [on a visit], or in their homes, to really get to know people, it makes it a little bit scary," UConn coach Dan Hurley said. "You could fool somebody on the phone for a half an hour. But in person? Two breakfasts, couple lunches, couple dinners, people start getting comfortable and reveal themselves. I think there's going to be a lot of mistakes both ways."

I trust Hurley is able to use more nuance than you are in assessing what videos have to say about a recruit's character.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom