Brad Stevens? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Brad Stevens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Oh, and by the way, Illinois >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Butler.

I thought his name was kicked around with regards to UCLA for a while. Could have been rumor though.

Reaction Score
MSG must be like WTF. In a year or so time their tournament has lost UConn, Cuse, Pitt, Louisville and now Brad Stevens before he even gets there.
Wonder if Swofford is behind this move.

Reaction Score
Again what job in America? What did Shaka turn down? There were plenty of hires this year in CB, what did he turn down?

Butler could potentially offer him a great deal and stability. Why not take it and if you get some dream offer you can move again. Vcu has the ceiling ok Akron football. U get out when u can. He's still there and what jobs are you saying he has in his back pocket?

Just a little school known as UCLA. not like they have ever won anything...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130327/vcu-shaka-smart/

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Stevens should have gotten a little bit more money, but all-in-all, a good move for him. When he falls on his face, he will have his pick of college jobs and a much fatter wallet.

Reaction Score
Celts have 9 first round picks in the next 5 years. If they are lucky they could develop a VG young team with a young coach. A lot of upside here.

Reaction Score

Hahahahahahaha!!! Butler will dominate! Yes, they will dominate Providence.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Just a little school known as UCLA. not like they have ever won anything...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130327/vcu-shaka-smart/

Same story. Illinois is the potential giant that neve happens. UCLA still living on wooden years. Next someone is going to link me to a Maryland article. No coach who wants a great career in college bball is heading out west unless your making a career pit stop at Arizona. West bball is like north football.
The point is things went dire like they are now. The split is very real and possible. Get our cake when you can as long as its helping you towards our goal whatever it is.
I'm afraid to ask.

But, what does the BE split have to do with VCU?

VCU just recently moved to a better conference.

They made the run to the Final 4 out of the Colonial.

So what's changed that makes VCU worse?

Is it the fact that they moved to a better conference?

Vcu is a big public so they will not get a big east invite based on identity alone. A10 is there ceiling. The a10 sucks. When Stl and Dayton make the big east at 12 vcu will look even better right?

The big east ones not play football. Some schools in the conf play fcs fball. They will all drop it in a heart beat if the p5 split. Playing others and bball only allows the big east to pay a stipend and join the p5. Basically being the best of the rest bball wise they bring major value to a p5 postseason march madness and take away almost all cash cows the NCAA could have left.

Vcu has no shot at this. Butler is safely in the big east. I'm not saying a split will happen, but the big east schools are set either way. The stability is so much more now then it was weeks ago. Things change quick.

Ehh I just wanted to argue about one thing 2night. Glad I got to bust a nut really. Goodnight.

Reaction Score
Same story. Illinois is the potential giant that neve happens. UCLA still living on wooden years. Next someone is going to link me to a Maryland article. No coach who wants a great career in college bball is heading out west unless your making a career pit stop at Arizona. West bball is like north football.
The point is things went dire like they are now. The split is very real and possible. Get our cake when you can as long as its helping you towards our goal whatever it is.

Vcu is a big public so they will not get a big east invite based on identity alone. A10 is there ceiling. The a10 sucks. When Stl and Dayton make the big east at 12 vcu will look even better right?

The big east ones not play football. Some schools in the conf play fcs fball. They will all drop it in a heart beat if the p5 split. Playing others and bball only allows the big east to pay a stipend and join the p5. Basically being the best of the rest bball wise they bring major value to a p5 postseason march madness and take away almost all cash cows the NCAA could have left.

Vcu has no shot at this. Butler is safely in the big east. I'm not saying a split will happen, but the big east schools are set either way. The stability is so much more now then it was weeks ago. Things change quick.

VCU has already been to a F4 from the Colonial. You said they are about to have a worse situation. In fact, they are in a better situation.

No one here is arguing that Butler is or isn't better than Butler. In fact, I don't even care. What many are saying is that Smart had the chance to leave for much better schools and positions than Butler, and he didn't.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I'm amused by anyone who thinks Stevens will fall on his face because he's a college guy, as if 99% of all NBA coaches don't have college experience.

Reaction Score
im amused that you think 99% of all NBA coaches have college experience when spoelstra, vogel, mark jackson, woodson, mike brown, kidd, vaughn, stotts, budenholzer, karl, shaw, drew, cheeks, brooks, adelman, monty williams, carlisle, joerger, d'antoni, hornacek, wittman and casey have none. unless you meant they attended college

Reaction Score
The next Celtics coach is going to have to lead the team through a few years or more of mediocrity. Stevens was as good a choice as any.

zls44

Reaction Score
im amused that you think 99% of all NBA coaches have college experience when spoelstra, vogel, mark jackson, woodson, mike brown, kidd, vaughn, stotts, budenholzer, karl, shaw, drew, cheeks, brooks, adelman, monty williams, carlisle, joerger, d'antoni, hornacek, wittman and casey have none. unless you meant they attended college

Attended college. Interacted with college basketball, even as a player. I refuse to believe a guy like Jason Kidd or Mark Jackson took NO lessons from his college experience that is applied to the NBA.

I was also talking all-time. I don't care that most of the coaches now didnt coach in college. All-time, most of them have. Pitino didn't work in Boston because he's a freaking psychopath- not because he was at Kentucky. He did a good job with the Knicks.

Stevens is a big analytics guy. The NBA is on the cutting edge with stuff like SportVision, Synergy, etc. The pro game is evolved into finding rotations that work, not just having one guy as the be-all, end-all. It's managing personnel units, not drawing up plays.

I dare anyone who disputes the hire to name a better non-college candidate. A legitimate one, not Phil Jackson. I'd rather have Brad Stevens than re-hire a Van Gundy, Karl, etc.

zls44

Reaction Score

There's also a whooooole lotta bad coaches in that list.

Reaction Score

I think he's going along the same lines which you just drew. Calhoun was so good for so long he helped UConn become a household name. Butler was nothing until Stevens brought them to the forefront most recently so there may be a problem for them to keep the momentum. UConn did a great job by hiring a "family member".....who is Butler going to bring in and what big name is going to take the chance at Butler, seemingly a horizontal jump at best?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I think he's going along the same lines which you just drew. Calhoun was so good for so long he helped UConn become a household name. Butler was nothing until Stevens brought them to the forefront most recently so there may be a problem for them to keep the momentum. UConn did a great job by hiring a "family member".....who is Butler going to bring in and what big name is going to take the chance at Butler, seemingly a horizontal jump at best?
As far as mid majors go, the Big East is at the top. Butler will either promote from within to keep continuity, or pluck someone form the Horizon, OVC, Colonial, etc. VCU is in the A10 and virtually has its dance ticket stamped in November. Butler is a lateral move for Shaka Smart and they can probably match and dollar offer.

DISCLAIMER FOR fanDan: Assuming the greatest single money making event isnt blown up by the P5, by creating a new level in football and inexplicably include a basketball only mid-major.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Im not sure anything has ever been more clear. We will never be in the big east again.
Maybe. I tend to be a never say "never" guy.

I wonder what people would have said a few years ago at the thought that UConn would today be in a new conference containing no original Big East members, playing its conference tournament in Memphis, getting beat by Louisville for an ACC invite and by Rutgers for the Big Ten, and having Temple as our closest geographical conference mate.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
7 million good reasons for Stevens
Call me crazy, but I tend to think Stevens will not get paid Doc Rivers money his first time out.

Reaction Score

We were lucky to have Jim Calhoun force feed Kevin Ollie onto a sceptical fan base and administration, so far Ollie looks like a another JC masterpiece.

You should know better than anyone that replacing a great coach is incredibly difficult, Providence is still trying to replace Pitino.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom