OT: - Brad Stevens Resigns and becomes GM/Ainge Resigning - Potential New Cs HC? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Brad Stevens Resigns and becomes GM/Ainge Resigning - Potential New Cs HC?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
And to think, some people thought Stevens wanted to deal w/ college recruiting again

Reaction Score
I know they had injuries, but Hawks fans were ecstatic when they fired Pierce. And hard to argue against the positive result of replacing him. I don't see it for a win now team like the Celtics, maybe a team who is rebuilding.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I'm confused why the guy who the Hawks fired would be the right pick, but what do I know.

Reaction Score
I'm confused why the guy who the Hawks fired would be the right pick, but what do I know.
Doc Rivers got fired by the Magic before the Celtics hired him. That seemed to work out well. Bill Belichick got fired by the Cleveland Browns and was hired by the Patriots a few seasons later. That worked out well also. I guess you never know.

Reaction Score
Doc Rivers got fired by the Magic before the Celtics hired him. That seemed to work out well. Bill Belichick got fired by the Cleveland Browns and was hired by the Patriots a few seasons later. That worked out well also. I guess you never know.
Belichick took the Browns to the playoffs and won a game first. The Browns! Winning in the playoffs! They didn't win another game in the playoffs until this year, 27 years later.

Rivers won Coach of the Year with the Magic and made playoffs 3/4 years.

Pierce is 63-120 and finished last in his division every single year he was the coach.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Belichick took the Browns to the playoffs and won a game first. The Browns! Winning in the playoffs! They didn't win another game in the playoffs until this year, 27 years later.

Pierce is 63-120 and finished last in his division every single year he was the coach.
Thank you.

Of course you never know, I just don’t get why he’s thought of as a top candidate.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Why would Jay Wright take more money to babysit grown men who won’t even listen to him? There are very few appealing and true NBA coaching gigs, this isn’t one of them.

Reaction Score
Why w ould Jay Wright take more money to babysit grown men who won’t even listen to him? There are very few appealing and true NBA coaching gigs, this isn’t one of them.
I can't tell if you dislike the nba or are just throwing out contradictory statements? They are either grown men or in need of babysitters. What are the characteristics of a false NBA coaching job? If there are few appealing AND true jobs, what are the appealing but false gigs? Why would anyone take more money?

Seriously though, there are plenty of good candidates with NBA experience and it is sounding more and more like the Celtics need diversity.
Ainge proved out of touch with current players, had burned too many GM bridges and was held accountable for being too cold to Isaiah Thomas.
Its rare that college to NBA works and Brad Stevens gets to be the best current exception to the rule. As GM he's unlikely to test that rule - if he correctly finds a great college-to-pro's coach it diminishes what Steven's accomplished and more importantly if he misses on it he loses his job as quickly as possible (1yr).

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I can't tell if you dislike the nba or are just throwing out contradictory statements? They are either grown men or in need of babysitters. What are the characteristics of a false NBA coaching job? If there are few appealing AND true jobs, what are the appealing but false gigs? Why would anyone take more money?

Seriously though, there are plenty of good candidates with NBA experience and it is sounding more and more like the Celtics need diversity.
Ainge proved out of touch with current players, had burned too many GM bridges and was held accountable for being too cold to Isaiah Thomas.
Its rare that college to NBA works and Brad Stevens gets to be the best current exception to the rule. As GM he's unlikely to test that rule - if he correctly finds a great college-to-pro's coach it diminishes what Steven's accomplished and more importantly if he misses on it he loses his job as quickly as possible (1yr).

It sounds like the stars didn’t like brads offensive system.

I think Ewing would be a really interesting candidate.

One of the best resumes of a non former NBA hc.

Joerger can go toe to toe with anyone on X’s and O’s

I don’t know if there’s a model to finding the next spoelstra or nick nurse either.

Hiring a good coach seems like such a crapshoot in the NBA. A good gm seems far more important in most cases.

Reaction Score
Becky Hammon would be awesome!
What would qualify her to be Head Coach of the Most Storied Franchise in NBA history?
Certainly she can be an assistant but a head coach, sorry No Way. I know its not going to be well recv'd with the PC crowd that overruns this site but she is in no way shape or form ready to be a head coach in the NBA. Maybe after putting in 10+ years as a lead assistant but not now.

Reaction Score

Points well taken.

I was just responding to the part about being fired. Many coaches have been successful after getting fired in 1 place and then moving to another team and doing very well. Being fired doesn't automatically make you a bad coach.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
What would qualify her to be Head Coach of the Most Storied Franchise in NBA history?
Certainly she can be an assistant but a head coach, sorry No Way. I know its not going to be well recv'd with the PC crowd that overruns this site but she is in no way shape or form ready to be a head coach in the NBA. Maybe after putting in 10+ years as a lead assistant but not now.

Yeah she’s not going to have the best resume.

I think she’d kill it on women’s Cbb on the recruiting trail though.

Hence why I would prefer her to end up in storrs

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Points well taken.

I was just responding to the part about being fired. Many coaches have been successful after getting fired in 1 place and then moving to another team and doing very well. Being fired doesn't automatically make you a bad coach.

Definitely doesn't, and I never suggested that or wrote that. I simply asked why is the guy who was fired from the Hawks suddenly a hot name for the Celtics job?

Reaction Score
Hiring a good coach seems like such a crapshoot in the NBA. A good gm seems far more important in most cases.

Agree 100%. The NBA is a league of transcendent talents. A GM that can find and develop talent, and get decent complimentary pieces next to them is sooo important for teams.

Reaction Score
Geno's job would a step up from the Celtics for Becky
Yeah, I'm surprised Brad Stevens stepped UP only to be Celtics GM instead of waiting for that job, going back to college, living in Storrs instead of Boston. Besides what could go wrong succeeding a legend at UConn?!

Reaction Score
It sounds like the stars didn’t like brads offensive system.

I think Ewing would be a really interesting candidate.

One of the best resumes of a non former NBA hc.

Joerger can go toe to toe with anyone on X’s and O’s

I don’t know if there’s a model to finding the next spoelstra or nick nurse either.

I don't think its a crapshoot to find a good coach. You identify a leader, a motivator, someone who understands X & O's, the modern game inclusive of analytics and ideally someone with experience under intense pressure or scrutiny. Where you go wrong are the re-treads or the name guys (Kidd) that may not be continuously committed to the work of coaching. After that its about fit and buy-in and I'd guess Stevens can identify what would fit on current roster and will include Brown & Tatum at least before announcing if not involved in decision.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score

Players run the teams, not coaches. Except for maybe a few teams (San Antonio, Utah come to mind). You think a well established college coach is going to tell Russell Westbrook to stop taking bad shots and stealing rebounds? The game is full of ego and that’s nearly impossible to coach.

Celtics need diversity? No they just need players to score and stay healthy. Miss me with that diversity needed to win crap.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom