OT: - Brad Stevens Resigns and becomes GM/Ainge Resigning - Potential New Cs HC? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Brad Stevens Resigns and becomes GM/Ainge Resigning - Potential New Cs HC?

Reaction Score
Really hard to blame him.

Rozier was awful year 1 and one of the 10 worst contracts in the game before this season.

Expecting a breakout that far out in his career is just not normal.

And who knew kemba would have a career debilitating knee injury?

Sometimes stuff happens.

True but Rozier really broke out when Kyrie went down and Rozier was great leading them to conference finals with Kyrie in street clothes.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Saw a tweet saying Jason Kidd and Lloyd Pierce will be options... not sure about kid but I'd imagine Pierce would be a tough get.

I'd be on board for Becky Hammon too. She's got more experience than most at this point
Becky Hammon would be awesome!

She's been an assistant under one head coach. Regardless of her Russian citizenship or gender I'd think any pro organization would someone who has a broader background for coaching influences.

The obvious choice for her is to take over the Spurs when Pop hangs it up.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I realize this is a joke... but one thing I like about Hurley is that he woule be a godawful NBA coach. He's like idk... maybe huggins? A guy whose style is great for college but doesn't have NBA coaching skills

Someone has to bring it up so it can be summarily dismissed. I prefer to get it out of the way early in the thread.

Reaction Score
She's been an assistant under one head coach. Regardless of her Russian citizenship or gender I'd think any pro organization would someone who has a broader background for coaching influences.

The obvious choice for her is to take over the Spurs when Pop hangs it up.
I think it would be a fun story and she's clearly got the pedigree, but to type the foolishness you did :mad:

Brad Stevens was hired after only having coaching experience, and IMO I'd value sitting next to a HOF coach for a handful of years as more powerful than coaching at Butler. But what do I know?

Reaction Score
Rick Pitino?
Forget the past. Let bygones be bygones. Ignore the record.

1622648719207.png

Reaction Score
Brett Brown?... outside of the "trust the process" era in Philly, he did a pretty good job.

If I'm a betting man, I'm saying Sam Cassel

Edit: changed my mind. I'm putting my $ on Lloyd Pierce

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It makes more sense than anyone else I've seen. He has a 12 years of experience as an AC, played for Boston if only briefly, chops as an NBA all star, championship experience.
Surprised Lloyd Pierce doesn’t have any odds there yet

Reaction Score
I dno that anyone was fired...

The names I heard were Cassell Stackhouse and Billups but who knows it just broke a half hour ago. Intriguing situation though.
2 guys who have never been head coaches and 1 guy who was horrendous at Vandy. What could possibly go wrong?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
2 guys who have never been head coaches and 1 guy who was horrendous at Vandy. What could possibly go wrong?

Stackhouse has at least been an HC in the D league and an NBA asst. I think he's way more qualified than Cassell or Billups.

I can't see how record at Vandy can be held against and coach.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think it would be a fun story and she's clearly got the pedigree, but to type the foolishness you did :mad:

Brad Stevens was hired after only having coaching experience, and IMO I'd value sitting next to a HOF coach for a handful of years as more powerful than coaching at Butler. But what do I know?

R u comparing Hammond's track record as an asst to Stevens' track record as an asst when he was hired to be HC at Butler or comparing her coaching track to his when he was hired by the Celtics?

There's always a risk hiring someone who has never been and HC and there's always a risk hiring a college HC compared to an NBA asst coach. I don't think suggesting being an asst makes you automatically more qualified than someone who had two Final Fours with a program which has no history or making FF's.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I realize this is a joke... but one thing I like about Hurley is that he woule be a godawful NBA coach.
That's it? Nothing else?

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Stackhouse has at least been an HC in the D league and an NBA asst. I think he's way more qualified than Cassell or Billups.

I can't see how record at Vandy can be held against and coach.

Exactly - and guys with solid relationships and pedigree and knowledge are getting hired left and right recently. Plus Cassell has been an asst with good teams for a long time, at some point he gets a HC job.

Today’s NBA is about way more than x and o’s but relationships with players. They’ll have assistants with more actual coaching experience but it’s not like coaching HS or college.

Not saying it will work, but that’s not the determining factor, imo.

Reaction Score
That's it? Nothing else?

If you want me to get real nitpicky, I said "one thing I like about Hurley" not "GHE one thing."

Sorry. I'm an English teacher and took the day off today. Can't help it.

I like coach a lot. I think he could be hear for 20+ years until he retires. Talented motivator and recruiter. Good defensive coach. The lack of transfers we had this last season was our best recruiting job in a decade--that can't be understated.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
No one’s talking about Ainge becoming HC.

The ol’ switcheroo, just change the name plates on the office doors.

Reaction Score
No chance of that.
Better chance of Bird than Pitino (whose got odds)!?

Though NOW you'd rather have Rozier than Kemba I think that's evaluating the results and not process, Kemba was the better bet and you need the splash after Kyrie left. To me Ainge's biggest problem was the continual poor picks in the middle of the draft AND not offsetting that by signing veterans to the bench. We had 3 conference final chances but every time had an inferior bench. This is also not coincidentally what wore Stevens down. I noticed Stevens didn't use Semi O in his last coached game, he'd had enough.

Reaction Score
Better chance of Bird than Pitino (whose got odds)!?

Though NOW you'd rather have Rozier than Kemba I think that's evaluating the results and not process, Kemba was the better bet and you need the splash after Kyrie left. To me Ainge's biggest problem was the continual poor picks in the middle of the draft AND not offsetting that by signing veterans to the bench. We had 3 conference final chances but every time had an inferior bench. This is also not coincidentally what wore Stevens down. I noticed Stevens didn't use Semi O in his last coached game, he'd had enough.

This is it. Getting Smart, Brown, Tatum was excellent GM'ing. Not having a bench year after year after year was tough to see. Not so sure middle of the draft picks were that bad ... Langford and GWilliams look like complete busts to me, but I'm happy so far with the RWilliams and Pritchard picks. A 50% hit rate on a rotation player picking outside the top 10 is fine with me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom