OT: - Brad Stevens Resigns and becomes GM/Ainge Resigning - Potential New Cs HC? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Brad Stevens Resigns and becomes GM/Ainge Resigning - Potential New Cs HC?

Reaction Score
Ham is in my top 5.

I also wouldn’t hate cassell..

Cassell would be my preference out of them all. The tweet is missing one name (since 4 were mentioned above)... I would guess it's him.

Reaction Score
I really would prefer someone other than Billups. Sure, he's famous... but he's been an assistant coach for ONE YEAR. I just can't trust a guy with that resume to lead a team to the finals like Boston wants.

I like both Udoka and Ham.
Considering multiple rookie head coaches recently have won the title (and Nash can do it this year), I think the value of an X's and O's savant head coach or in general a coach with a lot of experience is as low as it has ever been.

You get an army of assistants and trainers and analytics staffers basically doing all that for you.

You just need a CEO and a guy that can get buy-in. A really good X's and O's guy might get you an extra round or two, but once you're in the conference semi-finals, it seems to be almost all about the Joe's at that point.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Considering multiple rookie head coaches recently have won the title (and Nash can do it this year), I think the value of an X's and O's savant head coach or in general a coach with a lot of experience is as low as it has ever been.

You get an army of assistants and trainers and analytics staffers basically doing all that for you.

You just need a CEO and a guy that can get buy-in. A really good X's and O's guy might get you an extra round or two, but once you're in the conference semi-finals, it seems to be almost all about the Joe's at that point.

yes teams lead by Lebron and kawhi and both beat warriors teams not at full strength

meanwhile the Celtics just made a major downgrade talent wise and gave up their best trade asset to not pay the tax

this is apples and sheet metal

Reaction Score
More details. I get why they'd want a younger former player. I honestly don't think they want a 61 year old white guy, or any white guy.

You wouldn’t want Stephen A Smith going on another rant. I think Carlisle takes a year off and does tv for a year then gets back into coaching.

Reaction Score
yes teams lead by Lebron and kawhi and both beat warriors teams not at full strength

meanwhile the Celtics just made a major downgrade talent wise and gave up their best trade asset to not pay the tax

this is apples and sheet metal
The same warriors team that won it all with first year head coach Steve Kerr? I think it will and should be Billups or Cassell.

Celtics fans are delusional if they think they're a title contender now. Good news is they have 2 young very good pieces and are in decent position to improve over the next 2-3 yrs

the Q

Reaction Score
The same warriors team that won it all with first year head coach Steve Kerr? I think it will and should be Billups or Cassell.

Celtics fans are delusional if they think they're a title contender now. Good news is they have 2 young very good pieces and are in decent position to improve over the next 2-3 yrs

I agree they’re not a contender. Which why pretending that nurse or lue apply here is absurd

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There’s a word for the Attitude your describing, and it’s not even stupidity (although that also fits)…
I really would prefer someone other than Billups. Sure, he's famous... but he's been an assistant coach for ONE YEAR. I just can't trust a guy with that resume to lead a team to the finals like Boston wants.

I like both Udoka and Ham.

Not sure what the “word” is. I think they want a guy who will appeal to the players on the team. Most likely that means a younger black ex player. And for a team that has had image problems in this area (despite having lots of successful black coaches), I find it highly likely that they want to go in that direction. Do you think I’m wrong in interpreting how the team probably sees this?

Udoka is quite interesting. Short playing career, but learned from the best. Shouldn’t matter, but he’s a handsome guy who looks good in a suit. Billlups will get a good look but I am also not sold. He was a great player, but haven’t seen enough as a coach.

Reaction Score
Not sure what the “word” is. I think they want a guy who will appeal to the players on the team. Most likely that means a younger black ex player. And for a team that has had image problems in this area (despite having lots of successful black coaches), I find it highly likely that they want to go in that direction. Do you think I’m wrong in interpreting how the team probably sees this?

Udoka is quite interesting. Short playing career, but learned from the best. Shouldn’t matter, but he’s a handsome guy who looks good in a suit. Billlups will get a good look but I am also not sold. He was a great player, but haven’t seen enough as a coach.

Udoka is approaching the top of my list the more I read.

the Q

Reaction Score

Imagine the Yankees saying that because the majority of baseball players are white they will only look at hiring white managers.

Boston has done exactly the same thing.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Imagine the Yankees saying that because the majority of baseball players are white they will only look at hiring white managers.

They haven't said it or admitted to doing it. The reality is that if you hire mostly ex players as coaches, then most of the coaches won't be white. And a lot of the white coaches won't be Americans.

I'm not sure what people are upset about. The players run things in the NBA, the star players in particular. No other sport is similar really. They will get what they want. You aren't attracting free agents otherwise.

Reaction Score

That isn't what's been going on for the last 100 years? Have the Yankees ever had a black manager? Not a Yankee fan so I don't know but I'd certainly guess the tenure of white Yankee managers is above 95%. Probably a higher % of players that have been black.
We are just trying to level the playing field boss.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
@the Q have you seen this? WEEI is reporting on it now. Their conclusion is that it's clear that Brad Stevens was fired.

At season’s end, multiple sources close to the players said several members of the locker room were welcoming a coaching change, noting Stevens did not appear to hold key players accountable, with complaints he was favoring Smart over others. The common refrain was that the team should hire a person of color with NBA playing experience to coach, something Stevens seems to be addressing with Chauncey Billups, Ime Udoka and Darvin Ham getting second interviews, as first reported by ESPN.

It’s unclear if and how a new coach would empower Smart. With Horford back, there at least are two voices with experienced postseason leadership, with Horford happy to be the calm presence while Smart continues to be a firebrand. Though Walker was revered by his teammates, his ability to effect change with his voice was naturally undercut by his struggles to match it on the floor.

An inside look at the factors that led to the inevitable break up between Kemba Walker and the Celtics – The Athletic

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Latest is two main candidates. Udoka and Billups. Billups has others chasing him. Hoping Udoka is the guy, as I think he's the best choice.

“According to my sources right now, there are two names that have really emerged and one of them we don’t know if the Celtics can get, which is Chauncey Billups,” Goodman said. “He’s also in the equation in Portland, maybe in the equation as well in New Orleans. The other name that’s hot right now is Ime Udoka, the Nets assistant coach. He’s been in San Antonio. He’s a guy who’s coached Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum, Marcus Smart a few years ago in 2019 in the World Championships. Those guys have kind of — not gone to bat for him, but certainly spoken highly of Udoka.

Celtics Rumors: Two Candidates 'Have Really Emerged' In Coach Search (nesn.com)

Reaction Score
I heard ham was the third finalist.
He’d be my choice out this half-assed search
Hilarious to think you know more about the candidates than those conducting this "half-assed" search. Judging head coaches as a an outside observer is hard enough. No idea how one thinks they could glean any insight on assistants.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Wonderful Duke education..

the Q

Reaction Score
Man you are showing your a___ in this thread.

Incidentally, here's the list of Yankees managers in 125 years who have not been white guys:

I just said Yankees cause I believe he’s a Yankees fan

pick any team.

or don’t be an ignorant dick

Your choice

I don’t care which one you do.

the Q

Reaction Score
Bill Russell, KC Jones, ML Carr, and evidently Satch Sanders.
But rivers was the Celtics coach while he was in the NBA.

the Q

Reaction Score
Sure, but also Bill Russell was the first black NBA coach.
Yes.
I just think it’s especially bad to miss a guy you directly played against. And who won a title with the best team of at least that decade.

missing Russell is also bad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom