Bracketology Feb 26th. Baylor still a #2 Seed. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bracketology Feb 26th. Baylor still a #2 Seed.

Reaction Score
Here's Massey's rating which gives more insight than RPI Massey Ratings - CBW
Baylor has #10 SoS with Louisville #8.

My view is if Louisville wins the ACC, they and ND stay #1's. If ND wins, then Lousville with 3 losses gets beaten out by Baylor (assuming BU wins the Big12) and both get put in the Lexington Region.
I am a firm believer in Massey and Sagarin as useful tools. The difference between the 8th and 10th best schedule is so slight as to be meaningless. If the committee's own stupid metric says Baylor is the better team, and the accurate ones say Baylor is better by a lot, then the choice should be clear. Of course I would never trust the committee to actually follow their own guidelines.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I am a firm believer in Massey and Sagarin as useful tools. The difference between the 8th and 10th best schedule is so slight as to be meaningless. If the committee's own stupid metric says Baylor is the better team, and the accurate ones say Baylor is better by a lot, then the choice should be clear. Of course I would never trust the committee to actually follow their own guidelines.
As I contemplate this, I wonder if Oregon wins the PAC12, Louisville wins the ACC if Oregon gets a #1 in Spokane and Baylor is #2. ND would go to Kansas City, Texas goes to Lexington. BU would be the best #2 seed, Oregon the weakest #1 seed, SC would be the weakest #2 seed and goes to Albany. Louisville as the 3rd #1 is in Lex, MSU as the overall second best is #1 in KC.

Based on what the committee has stressed last year with Maryland and in all the reveals this year, SoS is a major factor. You want to be the best, play the best. I just don't see them "rewarding" Baylor with a #1 even if the eye test says yes, #1- you need to go and prove it.

BTW, Kim has been remarkably silent on this. Maybe she wants to see the final seeding as up to this point it's all speculation. I do wonder if she will modify her soft schedule of "in-state cupcakes" and "home-cooking" in Nov/Dec and actually take on a few blue bloods, of which she is supposed be one of.
Seriously-Lamar, Coppin St, Missouri St, North Dakota, McNeese and Nichols dotted your schedule this year and ALL were at home.

So the more I write, the more I want BU to be a #2. You want to be considered a "big boy" put on "big boy pants" and play other "big boys"....:D

Reaction Score
There is no way Oregon would get a 1 seed over Baylor, should Baylor win the last 4 games. They are 8 in the RPI and much lower rated by all polls and ratings. They will get to stay in Spokane barring a disaster in the Pac 12 tournament, but they can't be a 1 seed. They were already below Baylor in the last committee update, which was before Baylor beat Texas for the 2nd time. It is not the job of the committee to send messages, it is their job to rank teams, and every ranking available says Baylor is better than Oregon.

Reaction Score
There is no way Oregon would get a 1 seed over Baylor, should Baylor win the last 4 games. They are 8 in the RPI and much lower rated by all polls and ratings. They will get to stay in Spokane barring a disaster in the Pac 12 tournament, but they can't be a 1 seed. They were already below Baylor in the last committee update, which was before Baylor beat Texas for the 2nd time. It is not the job of the committee to send messages, it is their job to rank teams, and every ranking available says Baylor is better than Oregon.
We won't know which team is better unless they get an opportunity to play each other. I don't think Oregon or Baylor deserve to be #1 seed. All that really matters is both get their 1st two games on their home court. Should they win their 1st two games, then they move on and its win or go home. I hope Baylor does get matched up with one of the top 4 PAC12 teams. I think any of these PAC12 teams vs Baylor would be a fun game to watch.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I really enjoy reading all the posts concerning CC's Bracketology and all the "homers" giving their reasons on why their team should be a 1 seed. But then it dawns on me that only one Bracket matters and Charlie, the person that ESPN basically made famous and relevant, will probably be there when the "real" Bracket is announced and try to continue to explain his rationale.

Just so that I am clear, I do not have any problem with anyone who is posting on this thread and actually find it educational.

Go for it everyone!!!!

Reaction Score
If ND loses to Lou, it will have 3 losses, all to #1 seeds. Baylor has played no # 1 seeds. Who’s to say it could have done any better?

Among the (rough) top 16:

ND will also have wins over Fla St, SC, Tenn, Oregon st

Baylor has Wins over Tex (x2), Stanford, and a loss to UCLA.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
As I contemplate this, I wonder if Oregon wins the PAC12, Louisville wins the ACC if Oregon gets a #1 in Spokane and Baylor is #2. ND would go to Kansas City, Texas goes to Lexington. BU would be the best #2 seed, Oregon the weakest #1 seed, SC would be the weakest #2 seed and goes to Albany. Louisville as the 3rd #1 is in Lex, MSU as the overall second best is #1 in KC.

Based on what the committee has stressed last year with Maryland and in all the reveals this year, SoS is a major factor. You want to be the best, play the best. I just don't see them "rewarding" Baylor with a #1 even if the eye test says yes, #1- you need to go and prove it.

BTW, Kim has been remarkably silent on this. Maybe she wants to see the final seeding as up to this point it's all speculation. I do wonder if she will modify her soft schedule of "in-state cupcakes" and "home-cooking" in Nov/Dec and actually take on a few blue bloods, of which she is supposed be one of.
Seriously-Lamar, Coppin St, Missouri St, North Dakota, McNeese and Nichols dotted your schedule this year and ALL were at home.

So the more I write, the more I want BU to be a #2. You want to be considered a "big boy" put on "big boy pants" and play other "big boys"....:D

Defense - What I hear, scheduling was quite hectic this year which turned into more "home" games than normal (several scheduled games fell through for one reason or another). However, Kim has always had a few cupcakes scheduled each year, and I'm not sure that changes next year with 5 new Freshman coming in. We do know UConn goes to Baylor next year, and we also know that Baylor will go to Stanford. I also expect Baylor to have a tougher game (away) for the Big 12/SEC Challenge (this could possibly be SC or Tenn from what I hear). All in all, I definitely expect a tougher schedule for Baylor next year, but not a dominant one. As a note: Baylor was to play in a tournament in New Orleans this year with teams that included Missouri (can't remember the others but they were much better than McNeese and Nichols). This tournament fell through for Baylor, however I believe it had more to do with a last minute schedule for Big 12/SEC challenge. McNeese, Stanford, and Nichols were scheduled to take the place of the tourney, which was last minute. Nichols was scheduled to get Kalani Brown and Moon Ursin back home (Kim schedules games for all the girls in their home towns).

I'm actually interested in hearing why you think Oregon would jump to a #1. With loses to Stanford (whom Baylor beat) and Oregon State, not sure how Oregon could get the ranking of a #1. I would think that Louisville and ND (no matter the outcome of the tourney) stays ahead of Oregon. Oregon is a good #2.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well as of right now I would pick ND as the second best team behind UConn number 1. Miss St third LVille 4th and Baylor 5th. Im looking at defense, balance on both offense and defense and coaching. ND and LVille have multiple players that can score and they are very quick. ND plays better D. Miss St and Baylor imo dont. Miss St is very disciplined much like ND.

Reaction Score
I have found in the past that C.Creme's bracket placements of the 8 regions does not always fall in line with the committee's brackets. Any comments/thoughts?
Not sure about that but Creme tends to be high on L’vile most of the time. Two years ago he picked them to reach final four and they got beat in the 2nd round at home by DePaul thanks to Jessica January.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Just looked at the latest RPI. If Louisville advances to the ACC Final and loses... its record vs the top 50 RPI would be 13-3 vs Baylor's 7-1 perhaps.... if they win the Big 12. Havent looked at the possible Big 12 bracket yet. Assuming Louisville faces Syracuse and Duke/State on the way to the final.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I have no issue with Baylor being a 2 seed, mainly because they played such a dismal OOC strength of schedule. And it makes sense that without the UCLA loss, their ranking could even be #2. But... their loss to UCLA was early in the season and other teams have lost since then so it makes sense that their AP and Coaches Polls rankings would be high...

BUT... as the committee has shown over the past several years, SOS counts, and with a cupcake heavy schedule, Baylor does not have the resume of other teams who have more losses.

As for ND and L'ville, it's the same thing. The "rankings" may show L'ville 4th and ND 5th, but given their SOS and other factors that go into the ratings, I can see that even with more losses than Baylor, both would be rated higher for NCAA tourney seedings. I will be interested to see what the committee does if ND and L'ville face off in the ACC championship, and Baylor beats Texas for a 3rd time in their conference finals...

Reaction Score
Well as of right now I would pick ND as the second best team behind UConn number 1. Miss St third LVille 4th and Baylor 5th. Im looking at defense, balance on both offense and defense and coaching. ND and LVille have multiple players that can score and they are very quick. ND plays better D. Miss St and Baylor imo dont. Miss St is very disciplined much like ND.

You must not watch the same basketball I watch......

Reaction Score
Anyone criticizing Baylor for its schedule must do the same for Mississippi State. They now have a weaker schedule by both Massey and Sagarin. In reality, both have played enough tough games to prove themselves and earn their top seeding.

Reaction Score
Who is arguing that we exclude it?

I'm saying that ND's overall resume is better. Better RPI, better strength of schedule, more RPI top 50 wins. That's the argument for ND's resume. What is the argument for Louisville's? Beat ND badly head-to-head. And? What else?

Both teams have outstanding records. I don't hold much to top 50 wins as a meaningful stat. Once you get above the top 15 or so the ranking curve flattens out substantially. If we look at Massey we see that #3 N Dame has a rating of 2,67 and #4 Louis 2.54. The difference could be statistically insignificant. That makes the head on head much more meaningful.

There is a historical parallel to this. In 2001 Notre Dame and UConn tied for the BE title. Notre Dame had won the regular season game and was given the top seed in the tournament. UConn won the tournament final vs the Irish and expected a one seed but the committee gave a one to ND and sent UConn out west as the 2. When asked to explain their decision, the NCAA said that they thought winning the regular season game and title was the decider. When the ESPN interviewer pointed out that the teams had in fact tied for the regular season title and that UConn also won the tournament the official stammered and ended the interview.

As you can see I carry things a lot longer than would seem healthy but I would be able to put this sore point to bed if N Dame won the tournament and then got a 2 seed based on that regular season loss. But I doubt it would happen. :rolleyes:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Anyone criticizing Baylor for its schedule must do the same for Mississippi State. They now have a weaker schedule by both Massey and Sagarin. In reality, both have played enough tough games to prove themselves and earn their top seeding.
Except, Baylor has a loss and Miss St doesn't.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Just looked at the latest RPI. If Louisville advances to the ACC Final and loses... its record vs the top 50 RPI would be 13-3 vs Baylor's 7-1 perhaps.... if they win the Big 12. Havent looked at the possible Big 12 bracket yet. Assuming Louisville faces Syracuse and Duke/State on the way to the final.
About a month ago, I was convinced that if Baylor won out they would for sure be a #1 seed. I would've guaranteed it. But I never imagined that the Big 12 would end up with only 3 teams in the RPI top 50. All those wins over TCU, West Virginia, and Oklahoma State are (for now) amounting to very little in the committee's eyes. (Oklahoma State is teetering on the brink right now at #52.)

Reaction Score
Except, Baylor has a loss and Miss St doesn't.
I wasn't arguing that Baylor should be above Mississippi State, just that if we are going to criticize schedules we should do so evenly.

Reaction Score
I wasn't arguing that Baylor should be above Mississippi State, just that if we are going to criticize schedules we should do so evenly.

You are absolutely correct. Miss St has gotten a free ride this year as far as criticism for their weak OOC schedule.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Yes but ... by the committee's primary tool (RPI) Mississippi State's schedule is in fact deemed better than Baylor's.

Baylor has played only 4 top 25 (RPI) opponents and beaten 3 of them.
Mississippi State has played 7 top 25 opponents and beaten all of them.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Also,

Vs RPI Top 50:
Miss St 10-0
Baylor 5-1​

Vs RPI Top 25:
Miss St 7-0
Baylor 2-1
Quality wins (defined as rough top 16):
Miss St - Oregon, So Carolina, @Tenn, @Mizzou, @Georgia
Baylor - Texas, @Texas

Should be Baylor 3-1 vs top 25 but the point remains intact.

Plebe

Reaction Score
To me, ND should be ahead of Louisville right now. Better RPI, better strength of schedule. The Committee doesn't take computer rankings into account, as far as I know, but both Massey and Sagarin have ND ahead of Louisville. You can't just throw out that head-to-head, but anyone who has watched ND knows they have greatly improved since that game, especially defensively since switching to the zone basically full-time.

If the margin of Louisville's victory over ND matters so much, it should matter that Louisville lost at home to the same Florida State team that ND whipped by 31 in Tallahassee.

That being said, Louisville was ahead of ND in the final rankings reveal, so you are probably right.
I think they gave Louisville the edge over ND in the last reveal due to the resounding head-to-head win. Otherwise I agree that ND's overall resume is more impressive than Louisville's.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom