Brace yourself: Coaching change silly season set to begin. (CBS Sports - Fowler) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Brace yourself: Coaching change silly season set to begin. (CBS Sports - Fowler)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When Warde interviews his short list of qualified candidates he should hire the guy who has the best plan and vision for the program and demonstrates that he wants and will be passionate about the job. If that turns out to be TJ so be it.

I would be disappointed if Warde overpaid for a "name" who was lukewarm about the job during the interview and interviewed poorly.

The candidate should ultimately want the job as much as we want them to have the job and the salary should be close to market rate for that person based on his qualifications.

People would be foolish to rule out TJ in this process, right now he is the only official candidate. TJ has been interviewing on the job for the last two months.

Warde should go with his gut and then call Burton and ask for his approval :)

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Weist is about 50/50 to get the UCONN job. Warde did not bring him here to stay only 1 year.
He did tell him that he had to win in order to be considered. 2-5 and potentially 3-5 is a .286 and .375 winning percentage respectively. I can see where someone who thinks that 48% is a majority though, so I can see the confusion. ;)

I've said it before. Here is it again. Mr. Manuel thanks Coach Weist for his services. He then tells him that the new coach will have every opportunity to fill out his staff, but Manuel will put in a good word for Weist on the offensive staff.

Reaction Score
He did tell him that he had to win in order to be considered. 2-5 and potentially 3-5 is a .286 and .375 winning percentage respectively. I can see where someone who thinks that 48% is a majority though, so I can see the confusion. ;)

I've said it before. Here is it again. Mr. Manuel thanks Coach Weist for his services. He then tells him that the new coach will have every opportunity to fill out his staff, but Manuel will put in a good word for Weist on the offensive staff.

He didn't say winning record. He said "let me worry about the number" (of wins). TJ is setting the bar that the other candidates must clear for the job, it may be an easy hurdle for the likes of Lembo or Narduzzi but they still must clear it. If every outside candidate trips over the hurdle TJ wins.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
When Warde interviews his short list of qualified candidates he should hire the guy who has the best plan and vision for the program and demonstrates that he wants and will be passionate about the job. If that turns out to be TJ so be it.

I would be disappointed if Warde overpaid for a "name" who was lukewarm about the job during the interview and interviewed poorly.

The candidate should ultimately want the job as much as we want them to have the job and the salary should be close to market rate for that person based on his qualifications.

People would be foolish to rule out TJ in this process, right now he is the only official candidate. TJ has been interviewing on the job for the last two months.

Warde should go with his gut and then call Burton and ask for his approval :)
If TJ was still at Cinci we'd all be talking about him as hot prospect. I like the guy but if a better candidate is interested..so be it.

Reaction Score
If TJ was still at Cinci we'd all be talking about him as hot prospect. I like the guy but if a better candidate is interested..so be it.

But he's not at Cincy, he's our current head coach. If Pete Lembo went 6-6 this year we wouldn't be talking about him either.

Reaction Score
You guys used to make fun of Rutgers for scheduling crap, now you want to reward TJ for beating crap.

Keep TJ, and move to D2. Perfect.

Reaction Score

This is what will happen.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

I don't think so. He was a WR coach, not OC. If we are considering an AAC position coach for our HR job we have a ton of problems.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Rarely are position coaches elevated in such a way. I know Coach Edsall was, but UConn was still in Div. 1AA and transitioning to Div. 1. They could afford to have a position coach learn on the job. It's a whole new ball game this time around.

Reaction Score
Rarely are position coaches elevated in such a way. I know Coach Edsall was, but UConn was still in Div. 1AA and transitioning to Div. 1. They could afford to have a position coach learn on the job. It's a whole new ball game this time around.
I was going to write exactly that. Edsall actually was the DC at Georgia Tech for a year I think, too. If Weist was still at Cincinatti and was still receivers coach nobody would know who the heck he was.

Reaction Score
Edsall was the DC at Georgia Tech when he was hired at UCONN.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Edsall was the DC at Georgia Tech when he was hired at UCONN.

I was mistaken. He was Def. Coord. for a year. He was DBs Coach for 2 colleges and a pro team during the 10 years prior.

Reaction Score
If TJ gets the job, we are elevating him from being an interim HC (plus a lot of other responsibilities) to a full time HC, period. These last eight games he has been performing more duties than a position coach.......on and off the field. No one here could positively speculate that the "hot names" being tossed around could have done a better job under the same circumstances, OR if TJ would have performed equally as good as the "hot names" at THEIR schools under more favorable atmosphere and, perhaps even talent. WE JUST CAN'T because none of us have worn any of their shoes.

I have great respect for what TJ has accomplished once he stuck his neck out to assume the position as interim HC. UConn, like Florida, has had a rash of injuries that resulted in unacceptable seasons to respective fans bases. And you don't see the rabid fan base that supports the "Gators" say "fire the head coach!"......and they have expectations of every year being in the hunt for a National Championship berth. UConn is just trying to get into "any" bowl game.

I don't know if TJ will be offered the job. Whatever Warde decides will be fine for me. I'm just saying we may be a tard harsh on TJ's abilities when he may have not had the same opportunities to "excel" at UConn as his resume may have suggested from previous gigs. I know I was excited to learn he was coming to UConn from Cincinnatti.

In a way I'll be disappointed if he isn't around in some way........and wish him success and happiness wherever he concludes his career.

Husky25

Reaction Score
...UConn, like Florida, has had a rash of injuries that resulted in unacceptable seasons to respective fans bases. And you don't see the rabid fan base that supports the "Gators" say "fire the head coach!"......and they have expectations of every year being in the hunt for a National Championship berth. UConn is just trying to get into "any" bowl game.

Then you're not looking hard enough...and by that I mean: at all. There are Fire Will Muschamp Twitter feeds and Facebook pages. News stories from October are widely available on the internet and fans are e-mailing the athletic dept. discounts for moving companies. I don't think they are referring to Billy Donovan.

UF is in the part of the country where fans post real estate for sale signs on the coach's front lawn. I'd say they are gator chomping at the bit down there. 11-2, 9-4, and 4-8. UConn fans would be giving Former "Coach" Pasqualoni a pass if he went 11-2 and 9-4 in his two first seasons. Down in Gainesville, they are burning their coach in effigy.

Reaction Score

Clemson's head coach...

Husky25

Reaction Score
Clemson's head coach...

What makes the implication of what I wrote any less true?

There is a distinct difference between rarely and never. Anecdotal evidence is why I rarely use absolutes.;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What makes the implication of what I wrote any less true?

There is a distinct difference between rarely and never. Anecdotal evidence is why I rarely use absolutes.;)

It's not anecdotal. He was a position coach, promoted as interim and given the job permanently. That's even more unlikely than Weist getting the job.

IF Weist gets the job. He needs to do some housekeeping. Hughes needs to go and it shouldn't stop there. I see potential with Shane Day as a playcaller, but I am biased because he was a classmate of mine.

Reaction Score
IF Weist gets the job. He needs to do some housekeeping. Hughes needs to go and it shouldn't stop there. I see potential with Shane Day as a playcaller, but I am biased because he was a classmate of mine.

We can do much worse than keeping Weist, Day, Foley, Buggs in charge of the offense and not forcing the players to learn a new playbook. Right now i'm excited by our offense.

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
I say its anecdotal because it is far more the exception than the rule.

Reaction Score
What is ultimately going to happen when all the lembos and narduzzis go elsewhere we are going to be left o choose from. Tj ,Ambrose , and orobably a selection of other co ordinators or 1aa coaches. Makes sense to stick with tj unless we get one of the bigger names which isnt happening

Reaction Score
Srqhusky said:
What is ultimately going to happen when all the lembos and narduzzis go elsewhere we are going to be left o choose from. Tj ,Ambrose , and orobably a selection of other co ordinators or 1aa coaches. Makes sense to stick with tj unless we get one of the bigger names which isnt happening

I agree. However, you have to remember that Narduzzi and Lembo can't have the job just because they interview. I think Warde is looking for commitment. If Narduzzi interviews but doesn't seem passionate about the opportunity, Warde may pass. We need a guy that really wants the job. If TJ wants it more, I prefer he have it. I don't want another excuse maker. Even Randy was constantly making excuses and he was successful here. TJ knows exactly what he's getting into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom