Brace yourself: Coaching change silly season set to begin. (CBS Sports - Fowler) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Brace yourself: Coaching change silly season set to begin. (CBS Sports - Fowler)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
logo730_normal.jpg
FootballScoop Staff (@footballscoop)
12/1/13, 5:12 PM
At UConn the names I keep specifically have heard as top targets are Pat Narduzzi & Dave Clawson but others in play as well I presume

Download the official Twitter app here

logo730_normal.jpg
FootballScoop Staff (@footballscoop)
12/1/13, 5:11 PM
Passing along some chatter from within the coaching ranks… hearing UConn waiting until after conf champ games to interview their top targets

Download the official Twitter app here

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

Reaction Score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>At UConn the names I keep specifically have heard as top targets are Pat Narduzzi &amp; Dave Clawson but others in play as well I presume</p>&mdash; FootballScoop Staff (@footballscoop) <a href="https://twitter.com/footballscoop/statuses/407271026536349697">December 1, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Passing along some chatter from within the coaching ranks… hearing UConn waiting until after conf champ games to interview their top targets</p>&mdash; FootballScoop Staff (@footballscoop) <a href="https://twitter.com/footballscoop/statuses/407270677448634368">December 1, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Reaction Score
Yup. I would pay a very pretty penny to bring Narduzzi here but if we are bidding against Florida, Nebraska, USC, etc, our $2.5-$3M/yr offer will be easily trumped.
I will be shocked if we offer anywhere near $2.5M. Where is that kind of money going to come from given our present financial condition?

Reaction Score
Narduzzi will get better offers than us. So will Herman. I like both of those guys bit I am realist.

Reaction Score
Jim Tressell was at Youngstown for 15 years!!!! before he was hired at OSU and his team was very consistent winning every year.

Chip Kelly's offense where ever he went was averaging between 4,000 to 6,000 yards of offense it was obvious he was going to move up the coaching ranks.

How can you compare Ambrose to them? the guy has only been at Towson for 5 years and had 2 extremely poor records his first two years, in the FCS at that. Now that he beats Uconn you say he should be the next head coach? he needs more time before even taking a big job like Uconn. Unlike Foster his defense has been beast and he's been learning from one of the beast HC in the NCAA in Frank Beamer for 27 years.

So what makes you nervous about hiring a proven coach, unlike Ambrose, like Narduzzi and Herman is that if they do well they are as good as gone?

You think if Ambrose was successful early here at Uconn and was offered a HC job at a BiG conference program he wouldn't be gone?

Oh please. Towson was garbage when he took it over. You either don't have a clue or you are being intellectually dishonest. They went from being at the very bottom of the CAA to contending for the conference title every year. The guy has proven himself.

Ambrose seemed underwhelming as an OC, super Conservative Crewcut no IPods in the locker room Edsall hamstrung him with all sorts of restrictions. Just look at their offense at Towson!

They compete at the very top level of FCS, it's not like he is coaching at Lehigh or Colgate. Get a clue.

Reaction Score
Oh please. Towson was garbage when he took it over. You either don't have a clue or you are being intellectually dishonest. They went from being at the very bottom of the CAA to contending for the conference title every year. The guy has proven himself.

Ambrose seemed underwhelming as an OC, super Conservative Crewcut no IPods in the locker room Edsall hamstrung him with all sorts of restrictions. Just look at their offense at Towson!

They compete at the very top level of FCS, it's not like he is coaching at Lehigh or Colgate. Get a clue.

His record as a HC is good...BUT here is te deal with ANY FCS level coach..they get transfers from BCS level schools (he has at least 4 at Towson who started at BE, SEC, and ACC schools) which raise the talent level considerably. My issues with Ambrose...he has had a few mike rice type issues at Towson that were swept under the rug.... how do I know this...i work with a guy who is a former player and VERY involved with the football alumni assoc there. Last but not least...if Ambrose gets the job here kiss any shot of CT kids choosing UCONN. His track record was well documented by Desmond Conner the year Stewart chose to o to Fla. I wouldn't be surprised if te xAvier kids chose to move on if Ambrose is hired. But keep on staring ar your autographed Ambrose poster Zoo...maybe the football gods will make all your dreams come true! I want a fresh face with ZERO ties to this program....
Oh yeah what are you going to say if Fordham beats Towson? I mean Towson lost to Villanova and Fordham beat Villanova in the regular season.

Reaction Score
Domino effects will start to pick up when quality Coordinator jobs begin to open...

APMarkLong1:19pm via TweetDeck
AP source: Florida fires offensive coordinator Brent Pease after losing season

APMarkLong1:24pm via TweetDeck
Gators owe fired OC Brent Pease about $1.2M for the final two years remaining on his contract

Edit add:

BFeldmanCBS1:41pm via Web
OC Brent Pease isn't the only asst out at #UF,#Florida O-line coach Tim Davis also let go today, a source told CBS.

(Lineman blocking themselves tend to have negative implications ;))

“@schadjoe: Chris Petersen and James Franklin are top options at USC. A new coach could be named as early as this week.”

If they bypass Eddie O - Gotta think Franklin has edge over Petersen - no?

If Petersen ends up @ USC - does Pease end up back @ BSU???

Reaction Score
His record as a HC is good...BUT here is te deal with ANY FCS level coach..they get transfers from BCS level schools (he has at least 4 at Towson who started at BE, SEC, and ACC schools) which raise the talent level considerably. My issues with Ambrose...he has had a few mike rice type issues at Towson that were swept under the rug.... how do I know this...i work with a guy who is a former player and VERY involved with the football alumni assoc there. Last but not least...if Ambrose gets the job here kiss any shot of CT kids choosing UCONN. His track record was well documented by Desmond Conner the year Stewart chose to o to Fla. I wouldn't be surprised if te xAvier kids chose to move on if Ambrose is hired. But keep on staring ar your autographed Ambrose poster Zoo...maybe the football gods will make all your dreams come true! I want a fresh face with ZERO ties to this program....
Oh yeah what are you going to say if Fordham beats Towson? I mean Towson lost to Villanova and Fordham beat Villanova in the regular season.

From my understanding, the people who complained about him were not as committed at competing at the level they ought to be. This isn't the NESCAC. It's the CAA.

He looks like he knows what it takes to win. And it's not flukey either. So does Lembo. I doubt we are in the mix realistically for Herman and Narduzzi. Who aren't even head coaches.

I have no interest in Will Muschamp.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Reinforcing what's been reported / rumored by others:

@JFowlerCBS
Hearing UConn willing to spend on new coach. Not USC money, but maybe close to $2 M annually

Reaction Score
Reinforcing what's been reported / rumored by others:

Not surprising since we were paying close to that amount for Laurel and Hardy. I think that figure will give us a shot at Narduzzi and every MAC coach will find that number extremely attractive.

I hope Ohio State blows out Michigan State, if Michigan State somehow wins Narduzzi will blow up beyond our reach.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If we end up with Ambrose as our next coach, I will be completely disgusted. He is a failed OC under ultra-conservative Randy friggin' Edsall. Does anyone remember how awful the play calling was under him??? One win against our worst team and worst coaching staff in our school's history does not make me want him to be our next coach. We might as well sign an AAC GOR if we hire Ambrose.

Thank you. No to anybody who has been connected to UConn. Need a new blueprint.

Reaction Score
LIUCHusky said:
I will be shocked if we offer anywhere near $2.5M. Where is that kind of money going to come from given our present financial condition?

Robert C. Burton III

Reaction Score

I find it interesting that you're worried about FCS coaches because some of them manage to recruit top transfers, but you have no concern over the lack of head coaching experience of the coordinator candidates.

Also, the potential issues with Ambrose are well documented, so don't pretend that you have some great inside source. If he's a candidate, that will need to be investigated.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ambrose seems like a desperation move, too much of a reaction to losing to Towson. Better for some other school to hire him (maybe Ball State, after Lembo moves on). Plus, we cannot have anyone come in with connections to a prior regime. It screams small time.

I hope MSU kicks OSU around the stadium, because I hate OSU. I hope we still have a shot at Narduzzi. Lembo would be OK as well. There aren't many known openings, since Nebraska and Florida will probably stand pat and USC isn't looking at Narduzzi. I think we need to strike quickly, and even a guy like Narduzzi can't afford to wait around to see what jobs come open if he has an offer from UConn.

Reaction Score
Ambrose has a bit of a crazy look in his eye, personally I like that in a coach (burning fire). If he does have a strained recruiting relationship in CT that would be my bigger concern.

Football coaches cursing at and intimidating players? Oh the humanity. Bill Parcells could never coach football at UCONN, neither could Jim Calhoun.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I find it interesting that you're worried about FCS coaches because some of them manage to recruit top transfers, but you have no concern over the lack of head coaching experience of the coordinator candidates.

Also, the potential issues with Ambrose are well documented, so don't pretend that you have some great inside source. If he's a candidate, that will need to be investigated.

It definitely needs to be examined. But some of the best coaches out there are hard core and push their guys hard. Usually when you turn a program around like he has done, you don't handle the program with kid gloves.

Look, he deserves to be on the short list along with many of the other desireable names because, he has a solid record as a HC, has turned a program around already before AND because he knows how to win here. Once he was outside of Edsall's purview, he fluorished.

I know everyone here has $ 2 Mil of someone else's money burning a hole in there own pockets. But it won't take 2 Mil to sign him. A Narduzzi could be a bust all the same and cost us a fortune. If we somehow sign Narduzzi and he does well in the first or second year, he will be off to the B1G at the first opportunity.

Again, Lembo, Narduzzi, Herman, Ambrose. Probably in that order. And the last three are even in my eyes simply because Ambrose already has a track record as a head coach. Which can't be discounted since being the boss is a different ballgame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom