Boykin transferring | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Boykin transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wow this is getting really scary. Hey lets face it UConn may actually lose a game next season. Remember this whenever you worried about UConn. They execute. They play as a team. Remember a couple of years ago when Tuck and KML were out and UConn played all those top teams on the road and UConn won convincingly. They did that because they were all on the same page and knew how to execute the plays. They still do. Looking ahead to next season who has more talent then UConn? Who executes better then UConn? Who has a better defense then UConn? What players do Baylor and SC lose? They loose key players too. Our underclassman will develop over the season and be ready for next season. I know that because Geno is playing them more then he ever has in previous seasons. We have Nurse and Chong coming back with experience. We don't know yet about Tuck but if she does shes a first team AA. That's a lot more then any other team. We have been beating teams by double digits for the past few years. We will continue to beat most of them by that much . We are really good next season. Enjoy this season
You really think UConn will have more talent than Notre Dame? If Brianna Turner is healthy (a big if) I think Notre Dame has more talent. Four of South Carolina's starting lineup will be awesome Wilson, Coates, Gray and Davis. I don't know who the 5th starter will be. Maryland's starting lineup will almost be as good as UConn next year (SWK, Jones, Gillespie, Fraser and Slocum) but will have WAY more depth. But as many basketball gurus have stated, you can only play 5 players at a time. If you want to get back at UConn the next couple of years will be your best shot.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This might be a wee bit overly optimistic. KLS has had a few good moments so far but she's a long way from being an AA at the moment. Nurse is a good player. Williams is a talented player who now doesn't start and gets removed against certain lineups and defenses. Still think Collier will be awfully good but will that happen as a sophomore? Tuck's excellent if she returns. Butler hasn't played one second for UConn so I think we should be cautious about what she can do when healthy. And they will need a freshmen to be the PG on a title contender.

I'd rather have UConn's problems than most other teams', but I'm guessing UConn will start next season ranked about 4th/5th if Tuck returns.
Look up Stewie's stats from mid-December of her freshman year and tell me if they're All American stats.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Look up Stewie's stats from mid-December of her freshman year and tell me if they're All American stats.

IIRC she started out gangbusters (I remember she caught and maybe surpassed Maya's freshman-year performance for her first 10 games or so) and then fell into a bit of a freshman funk for a good part of Jan/Feb. Glad she shook herself out of it by March!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This might be a wee bit overly optimistic. KLS has had a few good moments so far but she's a long way from being an AA at the moment. Nurse is a good player. Williams is a talented player who now doesn't start and gets removed against certain lineups and defenses. Still think Collier will be awfully good but will that happen as a sophomore? Tuck's excellent if she returns. Butler hasn't played one second for UConn so I think we should be cautious about what she can do when healthy. And they will need a freshmen to be the PG on a title contender.

I'd rather have UConn's problems than most other teams', but I'm guessing UConn will start next season ranked about 4th/5th if Tuck returns.

Nurse is the PG on a title contender; Dangerfield is a backup and an amazing one at that. Butler has already shown what she can do at Georgetown; this is not a freshman coming in. Plus she's had the advantage of a year off to get even better. Tuck might be the best power forward in the country next year, and a legit NPOY candidate if she's featured. She has stated multiple times she's coming back iirc, so I don't have any doubts on that.

KLS looks every bit the marquee player. Reminds me a little of Stewie as a freshman, when she was underwhelming (for her level) for much of the year, but then turned it on in the NCAAs. Who knows if KLS will do the same, but the potential for her is limitless. Gabby has improved greatly upon last year, especially given positional juggling, so I see no reason that development won't continue (give me one if you have it). Collier is amazing, why wouldn't she get better? There's ZERO justification that she won't.

How many players at UCONN don't get better their second/third years? It's not a high percentage. You are being a glass half empty guy in this situation. At UCONN that's a losing bet 9.9 times out of 10. I think we have the best top 7 in the nation next year, plus a couple of good backups. UCONN will start the year ranked #1 imo, and I expect them to keep it.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Not sure why this matters. Stewart had a ways to go to be an AA too. The question is what has KLS done to this point that makes one confident that she will be that caliber, or as the other poster suggested, on the level of DT/Maya by next season?

As for Stewart, her first 8 games as a freshmen:

15 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 1.5 BPG, 58% FG

KLS' first 8 games:

6.6 PPG, 2.6 RPG, 1.8 AGP, 42% FG

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
You really think UConn will have more talent than Notre Dame? If Brianna Turner is healthy (a big if) I think Notre Dame has more talent. Four of South Carolina's starting lineup will be awesome Wilson, Coates, Gray and Davis. I don't know who the 5th starter will be. Maryland's starting lineup will almost be as good as UConn next year (SWK, Jones, Gillespie, Fraser and Slocum) but will have WAY more depth. But as many basketball gurus have stated, you can only play 5 players at a time. If you want to get back at UConn the next couple of years will be your best shot.

I don't believe they have more talent then UConn. SC will not be much of a threat with outside shooters. Both ND and SC are struggling this season against good teams. They lose a lot to graduation after this season. The games next season will be more competitive. I believe UConn executes better and is better defensively then both next season. JMO UConn will not be a the level they have been in the past few years mainly because of lack of multiple superstars on the roster. The will still be very very good. If Tuck stays UConn will be fine. Katie Lou and Collier will be great next season. Im saying based on a past game when Geno played them with Nurse Tuck and Chong. That group looked terrific playing together. Im looking forward to the MSG game with MD on the 28th. Will you be there? Would love to meet you.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
IIRC she started out gangbusters (I remember she caught and maybe surpassed Maya's freshman-year performance for her first 10 games or so) and then fell into a bit of a freshman funk for a good part of Jan/Feb. Glad she shook herself out of it by March!

Against the decent comp early in the season, her stats were good, but definitely not great. Usually 3rd or 4th in scoring against good competition (one exception I think).

intlzncster

Reaction Score

The way I like to look at it, is who would start on UCONN? In terms of overall player, Tuck and Turner can be mentioned in the same sentence. Turner would start over Butler, with Tuck at the other post. Who starts over KLS? I'm undecided. But I'm taking Collier and Nurse over anyone else on ND. UCONNs got a better top 7 overall I think (with Gabby/Dangerfield the next 2). All you need is 7. Extra depth at the end of the bench is not very meaningful, unless there is a rash of injuries.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Nurse is the PG on a title contender;

I don't consider Nurse to be a PG at all. She's not a great ball-handler and not an offense initiator. She's more of a driver/slasher/move-without-the-ball player.

Butler has already shown what she can do at Georgetown; this is not a freshman coming in. Plus she's had the advantage of a year off to get even better.

Well, I haven't seen Butler play. As I've said before she played on a poor GT team and played a ton of minutes (36/gm). She might be terrific, but until she actually plays a game or two with her teammates I don't see how that can be guaranteed.

You are being a glass half empty guy in this situation.

Suggesting they'll start 4th or 5th rated in the nation the year after they lose probably the two best players in the country is glass half empty? Okay.

If---if--Collier and KLS develop and Dangerfield is more ready as a freshmen than Jefferson was, I think it's possible UConn can contend for the whole shebang. Is that glass 3/4 full?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don't consider Nurse to be a PG at all. She's not a great ball-handler and not an offense initiator. She's more of a driver/slasher/move-without-the-ball player.

Okay, but you're one of a very few who think she's not a PG. Different stylistically? Sure, but that doesn't make her less of a PG. She'll develop as well. These players are not static, you have to see what they WILL be, not what they are now. She'll be starting at point, whether you think she is one or not.

Well, I haven't seen Butler play. As I've said before she played on a poor GT team and played a ton of minutes (36/gm). She might be terrific, but until she actually plays a game or two with her teammates I don't see how that can be guaranteed.

I watched a number of her games, and she definitely has it. In addition, playing with better players will only heighten her impact on the game. It's not like she'll have trouble meshing with the other guys, as she's been in the system for two years. My only concern is injuries, given the nature of them, as she's a big girl (which puts a lot of strain on the body).

If---if--Collier and KLS develop and Dangerfield is more ready as a freshmen than Jefferson was, I think it's possible UConn can contend for the whole shebang. Is that glass 3/4 full?

Again, what makes you think they won't develop? The odds say they well, given UCONN's history with players of their skill level. There's very, very little evidence to the contrary. I don't understand the cautious nature in this regard.

Suggesting they'll start 4th or 5th rated in the nation the year after they lose probably the two best players in the country is glass half empty? I don't think so. Okay.

I'll grant you, losing the two best players in the country is huge. There's no way around that. That said, players already in the fold are (rightfully) deferring to these guys now. Seniors graduating will allow the other players to showcase their talents. She could put up 25/10 if she wants to (or the system allowed it). I expect Tuck to be a legitimate candidate for NPOY. I don't see a better top 7 in the country.

I would not be surprised if they are not ranked #1 out of the gate, even though they should be. Voters really, really want to put someone else up there to maintain the illusion of parity.

And as usual, the X-factor is Geno. No one else like him in WCBB. The whole is almost always greater than the sum of its parts.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I think people are underestimating how good Collier and KLS will be. These are consensus top-5 recruits with immense potential. Geno is the best in the business at helping players reach their potential. They light hasn't quite come on yet for those two but when it does they will both be special. I expect this will happen next year and at such time we will all have a good laugh about how people were worried about such a stacked team.

Easy for me to say, though. If I was a UConn fan, I'd be worrying just like y'all.

Reaction Score
I don't believe they have more talent then UConn. SC will not be much of a threat with outside shooters. Both ND and SC are struggling this season against good teams. They lose a lot to graduation after this season. The games next season will be more competitive. I believe UConn executes better and is better defensively then both next season. JMO UConn will not be a the level they have been in the past few years mainly because of lack of multiple superstars on the roster. The will still be very very good. If Tuck stays UConn will be fine. Katie Lou and Collier will be great next season. Im saying based on a past game when Geno played them with Nurse Tuck and Chong. That group looked terrific playing together. Im looking forward to the MSG game with MD on the 28th. Will you be there? Would love to meet you.
Unfortunate I will not be able to make it on the 28th. But I will be in front of my TV set.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Okay, but you're one of a very few who think she's not a PG. .....She'll be starting at point, whether you think she is one or not.

Who are you speaking for? There's a reason Dangerfield is considered the successor to Jefferson at the point and not Nurse. As for any proclamation as to who will start where, I've already heard many comments here that Chong would start at the point. So, again, opinions.

Again, what makes you think they won't develop? The odds say they well, given UCONN's history with players of their skill level. There's very, very little evidence to the contrary. I don't understand the cautious nature in this regard.

Didn't say they won't develop. The question is how much by next season. Again, there were people here guaranteeing Ekmark would be significantly better this year. Not everything comes to fruition.

Baylor and Notre Dame will be loaded on paper and both have excellent coaches. South Carolina will also have lots of talent. Maryland too to a lesser extent. Still think UConn starts next year 4th or so. Their biggest X-factors, imo, will all be underclassmen so it may take four months for determine how good the team will be.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Who are you speaking for? There's a reason Dangerfield is considered the successor to Jefferson at the point and not Nurse. As for any proclamation as to who will start where, I've already heard many comments here that Chong would start at the point. So, again, opinions.

Well, she plays point for the Canadian National team, and plays it quite well against the best players in the world. So there's that. We'll just have to agree to disagree then. I know it won't be Dangerfield, as Geno's got a reluctance to start a freshman at the most important position. I don't know how you can keep KLS and Nurse off the court at the same time.

Didn't say they won't develop. The question is how much by next season. Again, there were people here guaranteeing Ekmark would be significantly better this year. Not everything comes to fruition.

People projecting Ekmark were out of line. The other two players are elite (Collier/KLS) and Gabby has elite athleticism. That makes their projections realistically higher.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Well, she plays point for the Canadian National team, and plays it quite well against the best players in the world. So there's that.

That's what they say, but Canada really plays a motion offense and Nurse wasn't bringing the ball up the floor against the US. Maybe she was against other teams, I don't know. I don't think it's her best position. UConn can almost certainly get by with her technically playing it against most teams, but against the best ones that decide to pressure her if she's handling? It's not ideal.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Always surprising to see a player transfer from UCONN.

It's not really uncommon though. UCONN's not for everyone. Tough place to play. Also, you can be a very good player and not get many minutes, given the level of talent around you. So for me, not surprising. Although I did not expect Boykin to do so. Leaves a bit of a hole depth-wise up front for next year.

Reaction Score
I predict Collier will be the key to winning it next year. Nothing shakes her and she is talented at everything. I saw this last summer where she was the most valuable even though Wilson got the award. I saw Collier with a great handle and smooth outside shot that is showing this. If Geno actually calls her number next year, then her and Tuck will get this team another NC.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not sure why this matters. Stewart had a ways to go to be an AA too. The question is what has KLS done to this point that makes one confident that she will be that caliber, or as the other poster suggested, on the level of DT/Maya by next season?

KLS' first 8 games:

Here is Stewart's stat line for conference play her freshman year (Jan 1 - Mar 4)
14 games, zero starts, 22.1 min/g, 10.5 ppg at .404/.179/.700, 7.0 rpg, 16 assists, 25 TOs, 16 steals 32 blocks
And Samuelson:
8 games, zero starts, 16.6 min/g, 6.6 ppg at .414/.273/1.000, 2.6 rpg, 14 assists, 7 TOs, 7 steals, 0 blocks
Not a bad comparison - and while Stewarts conference schedule included 2 losses to a very good ND team and one win each against #23 Syracuse and # 16 Louisville, it does not stack up against the first eight games of this season in terms of overall strength. And Samuelson has been ill for the last two games. which includes 0-5 from three, though a 2/2 on lay-ups.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

KLS' first 8 games:

recalculate Lou's numbers without FSU as she played only 3 minutes due to illness.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Next season ND loses Huffman Mabrey and Cable is a RS. Not sure if she graduates this season . SC graduates this season Sessions Roy Imovbish Mitchell and Dozier. Baylor is young an talented. I still would think UConn is either ranked 1 or 2 preseason depending on how Saniya and our underclassman finish the season.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Next season ND loses Huffman Mabrey and Cable is a RS. Not sure if she graduates this season . SC graduates this season Sessions Roy Imovbish Mitchell and Dozier. Baylor is young an talented. I still would think UConn is either ranked 1 or 2 preseason depending on how Saniya and our underclassman finish the season.

Cable is in her final year of eligibility. She's a graduate student right now.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

The only big loss for ND there is Cable. Curious as to what happens with Reimer. But they'll have Allen, Turner, Mabrey, Ogunbowale, Westbeld, possibly Reimer, get Patberg back, and bring in two top 12 recruits in Young and Boley. That's mighty strong on paper.

Baylor will return almost everyone except for Niya Johnson. Mompremier and Brown, who both have had some big games already, will be sophomores, and they bring in Cox.

Mitchell's the big loss for SC though they do lose depth. Be interesting to see how the two transfers fit in. Gray's pretty explosive. They need Cuevas to develop, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom