Boykin transferring | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Boykin transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know she made that statement last April. She may have said the same at Media Day. My concern is that it may be old information. Doris said in November that she was probably leaving. I doubt that Doris has better info than the Horde. I'd love to see a current interview, for our collective peace of mind, but I don't want to see Morgan distracted from the task at hand--making her team as good as possible and winning out through April. I hope she stays and can see the arguments on both sides. I'm confident that Morgan will make a well-reasoned decision. We'll know in time.
Lobo more or less said the same thing as Doris regarding Tuck during the ND (or maybe it was FSU) game and said she had spoken to Geno about it just that morning. Why would Rebecca Lobo lie about something like that? Jewell Loyd said she was coming back too until she wasn't, and her decision came a day or two before the last game of the season. I hope Morgan does come back because she will be needed next season more than ever.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Lobo more or less said the same thing as Doris regarding Tuck during the ND (or maybe it was FSU) game and said she had spoken to Geno about it just that morning. Why would Rebecca Lobo lie about something like that? Jewell Loyd said she was coming back too until she wasn't, and her decision came a day or two before the last game of the season. I hope Morgan does come back because she will be needed next season more than ever.

Huge hole if she leaves. My projections for the team are based on her staying

Reaction Score
Kennitra is intensely shy and private. While she loved her teammates, she disliked the fishbowl the Huskies live in. Likewise, other transfers had their own reasons for leaving. I don't know why you'd want to label all the transfers as playing time or conflict issues when that is absolutely not true, including Liz.
Apologies Nan if you perceived what I said to be an all encompassing statement about the entire list of transfers. I at no time have personally known any of the ladies so absent some PR release I have no special insight. Could have been they didn't like the closeness of cows. I certainly accept that any and maybe most of them left the program for more than one reason. As far as Liz Sherwood was concerned their were by all the accounts I have seen issues with her parents and her conditioning. I know a few wanted to be closer to home. Any one who has experienced any kind of an urban existence might also get lost in the "country" around Storrs. I do think that the issues of transfers has been intensified over the last couple of years. Some of those from back in the mid to late '90's could leave in relative obscurity. From the recent departures I am pretty sure I saw PT as at least a primary cause for Sadie & Lauren and I'll be very honest the overwhelming reaction I had to the list was I don't recall anything about...... fill in the blank.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I think it's logical to look at UCONN this year and say "they are a juggernaut and it's very unlikely anyone can topple them so let's look at next year and see who might win, if not UCONN".

We lose Mo and Stewie - possibly the 2 best players in the country, but if Moriah isn't the 2nd best player, she's certainly top 5 talent-wise, and what she does for the UCONN team. Replacing them will not be like "replacing" Dolson/Hartley or KML/Stokes.

SC loses Imbovich, Sessions, Roy, Mitchell, and Dozier. That's a lot.
ND loses Cable, Maybrey and Huffman. 2 starters. Not as much as what UCONN loses, but that's a lot.
Baylor loses Johnson, Fuqua and Higgins - only 1 starter.
Maryland loses Howard, Moseley, Pfirfman and Pavelech. Not sure who is a starter but from scoring, it's 3, 5 and 9.
Texas loses Boyette, Davenport, Rodrigo and Sanders. I think that's 2 starters and 1, 5 and 7 in team scoring..
tOSU loses Alston, Craft, and that's it. I think it's 1 starter and #2 and 6 on team scoring.

Look at the top 20 recruits for next year - Baylor has 2, as does Texas, Maryland and ND. OSU has 2 if you include the transfer Linnae Harper. UCONN has 1 and SC has 1 in transfer Kaela Davis, but I also think they are getting a really good PG from Canada - I'm not sure how "good" she is but I think UCONN fans would agree that Nurse is probably top 10 in her class so if this other PG is top 20, that would give SC 2 new top players coming in.

I think UCONN and SC lose the most. Baylor loses the least. I would not be surprised to see Baylor start next year #1, but that's way premature. Taking UCONN out of the equation, I think it's very close near the top for these 6 other teams but maybe it would be in the order of Baylor, SC, ND, Texas, tOSU and Maryland. Throw UCONN in there somewhere - between 1 and 3, and there's your preseason top 7.

We have two top 20 transfers coming in next year, Alisha Gray (UNC) and Kaela Davis (GT). We also have a two true freshmen, top 35 pg Bradshaw and top 100 power forward Harrigan. That Canadian guard you're referring to is already on campus, freshmen Shay Colley. She's getting a lot of playing time but isn't being asked to do too much. I think she'll end up being our starting PG next year if Cuevas keeps excelling at 2. Cuevas is performing well at the 2 because it allows her to score and not manage the floor, she wants to score.

Our likely starters next year will be 1. Colley/Cuevas 2. Gray 3. Davis 4. Wilson 5. Coates. Like you said, we lose a lot this year. Mitchell is the big lost but adding Gray and Davis SHOULD lessen that blow. Imovbioh will be a big lost as well, that hits our post depth (Something SC loves to exploit). Sessions is hot and cold offensively at PG but typically reliable and stable as a defender. Her defense will be missed. Roy and Dozier are hot and cold spot up outside shooters with no ability to drive to the hoop, Gray and Davis are HUGE upgrades at the guard positions.

All in all, yes I agree, SC loses a lot but we also upgrade at spots too. Like a previous poster said, we mostly lose complimentary pieces after this season, so I think our roster losses are being overstated just a little bit. We upgrade at guard, but our post depth takes a hit. Cuevas, Cliney and Duckett will provide depth at guard. White will give depth at post. Dawn won't have the bench she's used to so the minutes will tighten.

I think we'll be a top 10ish team next year. We should score more.

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
We have two top 20 transfers coming in next year, Alisha Gray (UNC) and Kaela Davis (GT). We also have a two true freshmen, top 35 pg Bradshaw and top 100 power forward Harrigan. That Canadian guard you're referring to is already on campus, freshmen Shay Colley. She's getting a lot of playing time but isn't being asked to do too much. I think she'll end up being our starting PG next year if Cuevas keeps excelling at 2. Cuevas is performing well at the 2 because it allows her to score and not manage the floor, she wants to score.

Our likely starters next year will be 1. Colley/Cuevas 2. Gray 3. Davis 4. Wilson 5. Coates. Like you said, we lose a lot this year. Mitchell is the big lost but adding Gray and Davis SHOULD lessen that blow. Imovbioh will be a big lost as well, that hits our post depth (Something SC loves to exploit). Sessions is hot and cold offensively at PG but typically reliable and stable as a defender. Her defense will be missed. Roy and Dozier are hot and cold spot up outside shooters with no ability to drive to the hoop, Gray and Davis are HUGE upgrades at the guard positions.

All in all, yes I agree, SC loses a lot but we also upgrade at spots too. Like a previous poster said, we mostly lose complimentary pieces after this season, so I think our roster losses are being overstated just a little bit. We upgrade at guard, but our post depth takes a hit. Cuevas, Cliney and Duckett will provide depth at guard. White will give depth at post. Dawn won't have the bench she's used to so the minutes will tighten.

I think we'll be a top 10ish team next year. We should score more.

Davis is going to excel in the SC offense. She is big, strong, can rebound and can shoot. She will be a more consistent scorer than Mitchell, IMO.

I think that SC is still top 4 next season. I actually think that you will be a better team with Gray and Davis. They have already had to carry teams at times and know how to be go-to players. Those two combined with Coates and Wilson are going to be incredible together.

Last edited:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Very classy for Geno to air out the dirty laundry about her academics..guess he's trying to do damage control with this chronic transfer (especially two McD's in consecutive years) issue..
Let me be the first to thank you for your interest in UConn Women's Basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom