Boxscore TN vs RU | The Boneyard

Boxscore TN vs RU

Status
Not open for further replies.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Also a winning margin's difference in threes made.
Regarding the free throws, I wasn't able to catch the game (pesky client deadlines kept me working) was it called evenly?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
There were a couple of questionable calls, but Rutgers also legitimately fouled a lot, especially at the end of the game when they were behind.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
huge difference in free throws :cool:
Carolyn Peck actually made a good point last night (I know - shocking!); RU fouled the shooters while Tenn fouled the ball handlers. The first created a FT shooting situation while the second didn't, hence the FT differential. I actually thought the refs weren't all that big a factor even with a couple Hmmm? situations on their calls.

I am still boggled that RU would lose Spani while on defense. The one player on the floor that could hurt them the most and they let her roam the perimeter unguarded. Inexcusable.

Reaction Score
Carolyn Peck actually made a good point last night (I know - shocking!); RU fouled the shooters while Tenn fouled the ball handlers The first created a FT shooting situation while the second didn't, hence the FT differential. I actually thought the refs weren't all that big a factor even with a couple Hmmm? situations on their calls.

I am still boggled that RU would lose Spani while on defense. The one player on the floor that could hurt them the most and they let her roam the perimeter unguarded. Inexcusable.

Reaction Score
I watched just about all of the game and in my mind at least half of the calls on RU could have been no calls.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I watched a little of the game, flipping channels. It seemed really odd to see Pat looking mostly like an observer. Just odd and a little sad.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I havent watch the game yet but Nan that makes a lot of sense.. "take the ball out on the side".

thats another angle that others should look at when complaining about the number of attempts

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
They also let Simmons drain two threes in a row from the exact same spot. And they appear to have no offense whatsoever besides "pass around the perimeter and hope someone makes a three".

My dad watched the game with me and was shocked at how subdued Pat was on the sideline. We have been to a few Tennessee games when they played down in Austin and at the Final Four, and she was....intense, to say the least. I will be very surprised if she keeps coaching after this year.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
They also let Simmons drain two threes in a row from the exact same spot. And they appear to have no offense whatsoever besides "pass around the perimeter and hope someone makes a three".

My dad watched the game with me and was shocked at how subdued Pat was on the sideline. We have been to a few Tennessee games when they played down in Austin and at the Final Four, and she was....intense, to say the least. I will be very surprised if she keeps coaching after this year.
Yep- I loved the Pat Summitt glare. That, and the Geno look of confusion and consternation after a bad play by his kids, were worth the price of admission for a UConn-Tenn game in itself.

It was very odd to see her that detached. She certainly wasn't last season, and I don't even think she was earlier this season (but I could be misremembering). However, if anyone has earned the right to go out on her terms, it's her. So if she's enjoying coaching still, even if she's kind of taking additional steps back, good for her. However, I've also wondered like you have if it's a sign that she may retire sooner rather than later.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I agree and felt for Pat. My biggest fear is dimentia as it runs in my family. She has earned the right to be there as long as she can. Her presence at the games, as her disease gets worse, is very important to help end it.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I noted awhile ago that I saw differences in her on the sidelines marking the progression of her dementia. That some of the rest of you are seeing the same thing only confirms those observations.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Holly seems to be doing most of the in-game coaching....and I read that she also
conducts the post-game pressers. Does anybody think she is a realistic candidate for the head coaching job down the road? What if Pat pushes for her selection? Would the AD give Pat carte blanche to pick who she wants?

Reaction Score
I saw what everyone else did… Pat seemed to be observing not coaching. I have Alzheimer in my family and it’s painful to see anyone affected by the disease. I will be surprised if she coaches beyond the 2011-2012 season. God bless her and her family.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Holly seems to be doing most of the in-game coaching....and I read that she also
conducts the post-game pressers. Does anybody think she is a realistic candidate for the head coaching job down the road? What if Pat pushes for her selection? Would the AD give Pat carte blanche to pick who she wants?
I listened to the LV broadcast by Mickey Dearstone, a very good announcer. Postgame interview was with Summitt and DeMoss (which I understand is now the standard way it is done) and Demoss handled all the more intricate or controversial questions while Summitt only commented on the more general questions, in very general, almost scripted terms.
If I could venture a guess, it would be that it is not so much deterioration as advice from the doctors to step back and have her assistants do all the heavy lifting. I think that advice would have been the same if the diagnosis had come earlier.

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
I agree and felt for Pat. My biggest fear is dimentia as it runs in my family. She has earned the right to be there as long as she can. Her presence at the games, as her disease gets worse, is very important to help end it.

I think it skips a generation.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if Holly takes over, even on an interim basis next year. If I were Tennessee I might look at keeping continuity for the recruits they have already signed, and then maybe looking at a new, young coach to revitalize the program. That's just me, I have no idea what they are thinking of doing. Obviously lots of names have been mentioned, including Caldwell and Kelly Jolly, and I think either of those would be solid choices.

Reaction Score
On offense, I thought Tenn could have gone inside more and driven to the hoop more often. When Rutgers made their run to take the lead at the beginning of the 2nd half, their defense was great. Then, unlike Uconn, they seemed to tire and Tenn took advantage of it and pulled away.
When you see teams like this which don't play defense with sustained intensity, you appreciate the Uconn girls much more.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I noted awhile ago that I saw differences in her on the sidelines marking the progression of her dementia. That some of the rest of you are seeing the same thing only confirms those observations.
Ice you're the man!

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Carolyn Peck actually made a good point last night (I know - shocking!); RU fouled the shooters while Tenn fouled the ball handlers. The first created a FT shooting situation while the second didn't, hence the FT differential. .

I mentioned that "difference" in the St.J/Baylor thread -- it's misleading to look at the FT shots v the fouls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom