Boxscore TN vs RU | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Boxscore TN vs RU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UT looked better then they have all session (at least as far as the games I've seen). They are loaded with seniors, upperclassman and they should be playing well. My first RU game of the season and I was not impressed. RU's smothering defense was not there, Sykes was awesome but everyone else was so so. If UT continues to play this way they will be a F4 contender.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
UT looked better then they have all session (at least as far as the games I've seen). They are loaded with seniors, upperclassman and they should be playing well. My first RU game of the season and I was not impressed. RU's smothering defense was not there, Sykes was awesome but everyone else was so so. If UT continues to play this way they will be a F4 contender.
The LVs made 38.2% of their shots and 64% of their free throws. Their point guard had 3 turnovers and 1 assist and the entire team got flustered by RU's press. What is it that impressed you?

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
The LVs made 38.2% of their shots and 64% of their free throws. Their point guard had 3 turnovers and 1 assist and the entire team got flustered by RU's press. What is it that impressed you?

Our "point guard" is on the bench and averaging almost 6 assists per game. I don't think we played well last night but we came out with a win on the road against a solid team. We will need to play better to make it to the Final 4, but I think seeing our team respond without Ariel on the road was impressive.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Our "point guard" is on the bench and averaging almost 6 assists per game. I don't think we played well last night but we came out with a win on the road against a solid team. We will need to play better to make it to the Final 4, but I think seeing our team respond without Ariel on the road was impressive.
Injuries are part of the game and you did have a point last night and it was mostly Simmons. And Nan WAS talking about last night, not the season.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
OK, the player that was in the PG position for the LVs last night had 1 assist and 3 TOs. I hope for Ariel's sake that she stays injury free after she recovers from her recent difficulty but you guys had better light a candle that she doesn't get hurt again.

As for RU, I want them to be good because they're a fellow BEast team and heaven knows they have a boatload of talent but they lost to the only 2 ranked teams they've played to date. I presume that this is because the Scarlet Knights are a young team especially after losing one of the seniors to injury, but at this point, I don't believe I'd call this an impressive win.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
That doesn't change the fact that Simmons and/or Striklen is not our point guard. Simmons was our point guard last year but Massengale is only out for four games. Simmons didn't do a great job of getting other players in a position to score last night, but she did several things well. She shared the ball well, calmed our offense, and stayed aggressive in hunting her shots.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
Stricklen*

And it was impressive because it was without our point guard against a pressure defense on the road.

I don't know what your point is about hoping Massengale doesn't get hurt. Obviously none of us want Massengale to get hurt...or Baugh...or Stricklen...or anyone else. I hope for Stokes' sake that Dolson doesn't get hurt? Y'all should light a candle that it doesn't happen?

And I guess you're welcome to argue that because Rutgers lost to both of their top 10 opponents that they're no good. I guess on that same line of thought, Texas A&M isn't good because they lost to their last two ranked opponents and only beat an injured Louisville team.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That doesn't change the fact that Simmons and/or Striklen is not our point guard. Simmons was our point guard last year but Massengale is only out for four games. Simmons didn't do a great job of getting other players in a position to score last night, but she did several things well. She shared the ball well, calmed our offense, and stayed aggressive in hunting her shots.
In your rush to take offense, you're missing the point of my post. The other poster had said that Tenn's performance last night was so impressive that they looked like a Final Four team. I pointed out some flaws I saw last night and asked what the poster had seen that impressed him. I was not making comments about Simmons or Massengale, their respective positions on or value to the team.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don't know what your point is about hoping Massengale doesn't get hurt. Obviously none of us want Massengale to get hurt...or Baugh...or Stricklen...or anyone else. I hope for Stokes' sake that Dolson doesn't get hurt? Y'all should light a candle that it doesn't happen?
I hope for Ariel's sake, not as a basketball player but as a person, that she doesn't have to suffer any more injuries. I hope for the LV fans' sake they light a candle that Massengale stays healthy because Simmons is not what the LVs need at the point.

And, yes, all UConn fans should light a candle Stef stays healthy. She's absolutely essential to UConn's chances to go far this season.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
aTm was woefully over rated. I bet Baylor beats them by a similar margin. until tennessee can beat a Baylor, UCONN, Notre Dame or Stanford, they will continue to be part of the 2nd tier of the "top teams". after tennessee got a 38-31 lead in the Baylor game, they were destroyed during the final 15 minutes or so of the 2nd half. and the loss to UVA, while a complete aberration, did zero to cement tennessee's status among the elite. tennessee will have a chance to add their name to the discussion of the truly elite if they can beat Stanford. and will have their shot at ND later in the season.

i'd actually be really interested to see tennessee play maryland at this point. i think both of them are a step ahead of Duke, Miami, Kentucky, aTm and a few others who are in the 3rd tier of top teams. tennessee and maryland certainly lead the pack for 2 seeds at this point, and as such, not favorites to make the final 4. still lots of hoops to be played tho...

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I don't see Tennessee as a Final Four team, but last year I wouldn't have picked A&M over Baylor, Stanford AND Notre Dame to win it all. Stranger things have happened.

But the way they are playing right now, I would put UConn, Baylor, ND, Kentucky and possibly Stanford ahead of them. We shall see vs. Stanford pretty soon.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
i'd actually be really interested to see tennessee play maryland at this point. i think both of them are a step ahead of Duke, Miami, Kentucky, aTm and a few others who are in the 3rd tier of top teams. tennessee and maryland certainly lead the pack for 2 seeds at this point, and as such, not favorites to make the final 4. still lots of hoops to be played tho...

I havent seen Maryland play this year, but based on who they had returning... I thought they would be a top 8-10 team all year. The thing is, I have no idea how to compare them to other teams because of their creampuff out of conference schedule. Right now... they might very well be the top team in the ACC... with Miami #2, and Duke #3. The key to them is their backcourt play... not sure if its improved over last year. If its above average.... they have a legit shot at the final 4.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I havent seen Maryland play this year, but based on who they had returning... I thought they would be a top 8-10 team all year. The thing is, I have no idea how to compare them to other teams because of their creampuff out of conference schedule. Right now... they might very well be the top team in the ACC... with Miami #2, and Duke #3. The key to them is their backcourt play... not sure if its improved over last year. If its above average.... they have a legit shot at the final 4.
that's a good point. i forgot about MD's schedule thus far. i hope Duke stomps them. i think Duke has more talent on paper, IMHO, but the key is to get them to play together as a team, and to get the youngsters playing older than they are...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
that's a good point. i forgot about MD's schedule thus far. i hope Duke stomps them. i think Duke has more talent on paper, IMHO, but the key is to get them to play together as a team, and to get the youngsters playing older than they are...

I also think we are the more talented team..... but I would say that they have the advantage in the front court... and we have the advantage in the backcourt... at least among starters. They come to Durham on Sunday Jan 22... 3:30pm @ ESPNU. I doubt we lose before then.... and I would suspect both teams to still be in the top 8 at that point. I hope we can pull that one out... cause its unlikely Duke can win in college park this year.

Reaction Score
What impressed me about UT was winning two road games and playing a full game. In the games I've seen prior to last night they seem to lose focus in the 2nd half. They are passing the ball really well and appear to be more aggressive on both ends of the court. if they remain consistent and continue to improve I can see them making it to the F4.

That being said, they could lose their next 2 games, depends on which team decides to show up.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
In your rush to take offense, you're missing the point of my post. The other poster had said that Tenn's performance last night was so impressive that they looked like a Final Four team. I pointed out some flaws I saw last night and asked what the poster had seen that impressed him. I was not making comments about Simmons or Massengale, their respective positions on or value to the team.

But pointing to Simmons without taking into account that she was playing out of position while our point guard will be back in 2 games isn't a substantial argument.

You're negating anything that favors Tennessee including downplaying the strength of Rutgers.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
But pointing to Simmons without taking into account that she was playing out of position while our point guard will be back in 2 games isn't a substantial argument.

You're negating anything that favors Tennessee including downplaying the strength of Rutgers.
Aww...really? Is that what she is doing? Did she offend your southern sensibilities?

I thought Tennessee did good job coming back and winning. But enough excuses already. Simmons played point all last year. She should at least be a capable backup by now.

And if you are looking for complements for Tennessee on this board, you might be in the wrong place.

Reaction Score
Never mind the free throws, 3 of Rutgers starter combined for a grand total of 5 points. You will never win a game like that. Uconn has had 6 players score in double figures mlutipule times this season and 5 players on many other occasions. Tenn offense is still hit the rim rebound or get fouled!!!

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
RU's two losses are to the #9 team in double OT and the #6 team by 6. Both of those games were for the taking, but they haven't learned to close games yet. What seems clear is they are probably a top 11-20 team, but they're not ready for Top 10 as of right now.

Reaction Score
Who is this #9 ranked team you refer too , or #6 for that matter, Rutgers is now ranked 9 and Virgina is un ranked as of today. Did ya loss too someone we don't know about or does Virgina not count?

Reaction Score

Look at the last 6 or 8 times Uconn and Rutgers have played. It will give you a better understanding of Rutgers strengths

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Who is this #9 ranked team you refer too , or #6 for that matter, Rutgers is now ranked 9 and Virgina is un ranked as of today. Did ya loss too someone we don't know about or does Virgina not count?
Sammy is a Rutgers fan.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
It was quite noticeable last season that something was different

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics