Bowlsby: Big 12 Would Look "East not West" | The Boneyard

Bowlsby: Big 12 Would Look "East not West"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...ok-east-not-west-if-league-decides-to-expand/

The two obvious candidates would be the Cincinnati Bearcats and the UCF Knights. Cincinnati provides a travel partner and a old rivalry for West Virginia. UCF, meanwhile, is an burgeoning program that would allow the Big 12 to get into the talent-rich state of Florida for recruiting purposes.

Bowlsby’s inclination to look at teams on the western half of the United State would exclude the BYU Cougars and Boise State Broncos, both of which would be strong candidates as football programs.

Dooley

Reaction Score
This is either the best news we've received in a long time, or the very worst... :confused:

Yup, I completely agree. It's the first public acknowledgement from Bowlsby that expansion is a possibility. But at the same time, if they take Cincinnati and UCF, I cringe at the thought of who Aresco & Co replace them with.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Yup, I completely agree. It's the first public acknowledgement from Bowlsby that expansion is a possibility. But at the same time, if they take Cincinnati and UCF, I cringe at the thought of who Aresco & Co replace them with.

Would it matter who he replaced them with??

We heavily rely on Cincinnati as the other partner in this conference to look like a P5 school in all aspects; football, basketball, and a host of other sports. They help continue our credibility in many ways, as we help them. Everyone else in this conference is "second fiddle". And the best of the second fiddles is UCF.

So...again...would it matter?

Dooley

Reaction Score

We heavily rely on Cincinnati as the other partner in this conference to look like a P5 school in all aspects; football, basketball, and a host of other sports. They help continue our credibility in many ways, as we help them. Everyone else in this conference is "second fiddle". And the best of the second fiddles is UCF.

Not one bit.

Reaction Score

It would only matter if we're fortunate enough to realize that no one should be added.

Reaction Score
The good news is that they're considering it. Even more good news is that "obvious" candidates never seem to get leaked through the media. After that I got nothing. One school really expands TV sets in the east and plays second fiddle to no one.

Reaction Score
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...ok-east-not-west-if-league-decides-to-expand/

The two obvious candidates would be the Cincinnati Bearcats and the UCF Knights. Cincinnati provides a travel partner and a old rivalry for West Virginia. UCF, meanwhile, is an burgeoning program that would allow the Big 12 to get into the talent-rich state of Florida for recruiting purposes.

Bowlsby’s inclination to look at teams on the western half of the United State would exclude the BYU Cougars and Boise State Broncos, both of which would be strong candidates as football programs.

Guess it depends on who's writing the article: http://ow.ly/GcGT2

>>Bowlsby then added if expansion was to be considered at some point, they'd likely look east and not west. Presumably, that would put schools like UCF, USF, Cincinnati, Memphis and UConn more in play and perhaps could rule out western candidates such as BYU and Boise State.

"We have one member in West Virginia that's on the East Coast," Bowlsby said. "We have to be mindful of their situation. If we took somebody in that was on the far West Coast it would certainly do a disservice to our member in West Virginia. As I mentioned earlier, it may be a different set of criteria to some of our members than it is to other members. As the commissioner, I certainly have to take all 10 institutions and their sensitivities into play<<

Reaction Score
The idea that adding UCF "opens up" Florida recruiting grounds to the B12 is beyond stupid. All it does is elevate UCF which creates more competition in Florida.

Did Bowlsby let the cat out of the bag when he said West Virginia is on the "East Coast"? Keep thinking East Coast Mr Bowlsby, East Coast, East Coast!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
metsfan2323 said:
The idea that adding UCF "opens up" Florida recruiting grounds to the B12 is beyond stupid. All it does is elevate UCF which creates more competition in Florida. Did Bowlsby let the cat out of the bag when he said West Virginia is on the "East Coast"? Keep thinking East Coast Mr Bowlsby, East Coast, East Coast!

West Virginia has the East Coast covered. The state is known for its scenic coastal views

Blackwater_River_North_Fork_Thomas_West_Virginia.jpg

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
1) Bowlsby referring to his conference "CEO's" just pegs the pretentious scale.

2) I sort of laugh at the thought of the Big 12 taking academic reputation into account, but if he does...great news. We're going to the Big 12! With Tulane!

3) I assume that by "electronic footprint", he's talking about the size of each candidate's message board.

We. Are. In.

Reaction Score
The idea that adding UCF "opens up" Florida recruiting grounds to the B12 is beyond stupid. All it does is elevate UCF which creates more competition in Florida.

Did Bowlsby let the cat out of the bag when he said West Virginia is on the "East Coast"? Keep thinking East Coast Mr Bowlsby, East Coast, East Coast!
Agreed. This idea that a second tier Florida school will open up recruiting is a farce.

Reaction Score
1) Bowlsby referring to his conference "CEO's" just pegs the pretentious scale.

2) I sort of laugh at the thought of the Big 12 taking academic reputation into account, but if he does...great news. We're going to the Big 12! With Tulane!

3) I assume that by "electronic footprint", he's talking about the size of each candidate's message board.

We. Are. In.
Or by electronic footprint, he is thinking very big, as in NASA and the moon, in which case Houston is a lock.
If he really wants east coast, he has to be thinking UCONN or the Virginia/North Carolina areas. Or (gulp) Philly.

Reaction Score
folks in the mountain and pacific time zones can consider out east to include Ohio and do so often.

Reaction Score
You get some idea though thru his comments why the conference is on very shaky footing in a number of aspects. Basically flaunting your payouts per team at 10 teams does what to help you get an ncaa waiver? Not real bright. You are not likely to get a lot of sympathy/cooperation from other conferences/teams outside of your 10 with those comments.

pj

Reaction Score

We. Are. In.

But the B12's research extends only to r i v a l s and s c o u t boards. We are screwed.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
For all sports travel, Cincy and Memphis probably help WV the most. UCF just creates another outlier if chosen. I fear we are just a little too East to make sense as well.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Or by electronic footprint, he is thinking very big, as in NASA and the moon, in which case Houston is a lock.

NASA?

I went to Cape Canaveral last year.

We were staying in Cocoa Beach for a night before a cruise and took a cab to the space center.

Central Florida has a campus in Cocoa Beach. (I think that's the campus that the strippers in Cocoa Beach pretend to go.)

We are f---ed.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
We all agree western Tennessee is not part of the East Coast, right?

Dooley

Reaction Score
Look at the bright side: if Cincinnati and UCF leave the AAC, we can go all B12 on the rest of the G5 conferences and horde the extra $5.95/year. $2M + $5.95 is a lot of scratch for over half of the AAC.

Merry Christmas.

Reaction Score
no real surprise, jupiter is closer to most big 12 schools than uconn

pj

Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics