Bourbon & Rye | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Bourbon & Rye

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Anyone try Harry's (Fairfield) single barrel pick rye - Castle & Key restoration rye for $59? Bought a bottle to try on turkey day!

1669153218077.png

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Some recent samplings and purchases.
  • High West Double Rye. I like the Rendezvous Rye, tried the cheaper one. It's ok. Better as a mixer. Sazerac is better and cheaper for a budget rye.
  • Templeton Rye - Stout Cask. This is nice. $50, 6 year plus finish in stout casks. Adds a bready richness, fairly robust.
  • Alberta Premium Rye. Splurged $75. Not worth it. Good, but not better than Whistle Pig 10 (also Alberta in most cases).
  • Russell's Reserve 10 year and Eagle Rare 10 year. Eagle Rare is now expensive and allocated. Is the RR10 a comparable option that is still cheap and easy to find? Yes it is. I might like it slightly better.
  • Tumbling Dice single barrels. I've now had 5 of these and they are all quite good. At about $55 these are great if you like the MGP bourbon profile.

Reaction Score
Some recent samplings and purchases.
  • High West Double Rye. I like the Rendezvous Rye, tried the cheaper one. It's ok. Better as a mixer. Sazerac is better and cheaper for a budget rye.
  • Templeton Rye - Stout Cask. This is nice. $50, 6 year plus finish in stout casks. Adds a bready richness, fairly robust.
  • Alberta Premium Rye. Splurged $75. Not worth it. Good, but not better than Whistle Pig 10 (also Alberta in most cases).
  • Russell's Reserve 10 year and Eagle Rare 10 year. Eagle Rare is now expensive and allocated. Is the RR10 a comparable option that is still cheap and easy to find? Yes it is. I might like it slightly better.
  • Tumbling Dice single barrels. I've now had 5 of these and they are all quite good. At about $55 these are great if you like the MGP bourbon profile.

Agree on the HWDR. Not great neat and an OK mixer.

Have only tried the Sherry finished from Templeton and its pretty nice stuff. Recently picked up their 2022 Barrel Strength edition ( 57.3 ABV ) but have yet to crack it open.

Disagree here. I love their stuff! I did not care for the WP10 I had. Funny how palates can be so different with this stuff.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Agree on the HWDR. Not great neat and an OK mixer.

Have only tried the Sherry finished from Templeton and its pretty nice stuff. Recently picked up their 2022 Barrel Strength edition ( 57.3 ABV ) but have yet to crack it open.

Disagree here. I love their stuff! I did not care for the WP10 I had. Funny how palates can be so different with this stuff.
I mean, it's arguably the same stuff. WP might be older, hard to know since Alberta Premium is NAS. It could be highly batch/barrel dependent. The WP store picks I've had have all blown this away. The regular WP10 I've had is pretty comparable to this AP.

Templeton is MGP, and I think 6 year MGP rye at that price point is pretty good. I saw the barrel strength too, but this was a gift and the recipient isn't big on barrel proof stuff.

Reaction Score
I mean, it's arguably the same stuff. WP might be older, hard to know since Alberta Premium is NAS. It could be highly batch/barrel dependent. The WP store picks I've had have all blown this away. The regular WP10 I've had is pretty comparable to this AP.

Templeton is MGP, and I think 6 year MGP rye at that price point is pretty good. I saw the barrel strength too, but this was a gift and the recipient isn't big on barrel proof stuff.

True. The only ABPCS stuff I have found are last years and this years and found them both really to my liking. I have been watching for a WP10 store pick but nothing around these parts.

MGP makes some really good stuff. Their older spirits are fantastic.

Reaction Score
Had a pour of Barrell Vantage yesterday, and if you like oak oh man this is the bourbon for you haha. Was like being slapped upside the head with a 2x4 of oak. Had to throw some ice in it to mellow it out and it was more palatable for me after that, but still a ton of dry lingering wood that lingered.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Had a pour of Barrell Vantage yesterday, and if you like oak oh man this is the bourbon for you haha. Was like being slapped upside the head with a 2x4 of oak. Had to throw some ice in it to mellow it out and it was more palatable for me after that, but still a ton of dry lingering wood that lingered.
As with some other things, I found that mellowed a bit with air in the bottle. It’s woody. But not as bad as some of those Orphan Barrel things.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Finishing off a bottle of this I got up in Wisconsin earlier this month and gave to Mrs Diesel as an early Christmas gift.

All day smooth. Batch 70.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Christmas Bourbon gifts. My sister got me the Knob Creek single barrel from a shop in Athens, GA. The Glenpharmer is the first bourbon released by the distillery here in town. I don’t have high expectations for that, but was pleasantly surprised to see it labeled straight. I know they use full sized barrels too.

287BDE79-1205-4949-A288-3A19BE66DC68.jpeg

Reaction Score
Those 9yo singles at 120 proof are really good. Why are you surprised its labeled straight on thee local one though?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Those 9yo singles at 120 proof are really good. Why are you surprised its labeled straight on thee local one though?
Because a lot of craft bourbon is released as NAS. Straight means it’s at least two years old. I’m just pleased that they didn’t cut corners.

Reaction Score
Because a lot of craft bourbon is released as NAS. Straight means it’s at least two years old. I’m just pleased that they didn’t cut corners.

I thought it was 4 years? Have to look back at my book. Also this is supposed to be some good stuff.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I thought it was 4 years? Have to look back at my book. Also this is supposed to be some good stuff.

Bottled in Bond is 4, Straight is 2 I believe. Mmmm cheese. Used to get Lawsons beer cheese in Vermont.

The local bourbon isn’t very good. I wish I had a tiny barrel, I’d age it some more.

Reaction Score
If the nose is any clue, this is going to be tasty. I have not tried a Sagamore I didnt like, and I know its MGP but those folks know what they are doing.

20221228_191250.jpg

Reaction Score
I got into Scotch a few years ago and finally landed on MacCallan 12 as my go to. I then got introduced to Lost Lantern Whiskey and they have introduced a number of American Single Malts (ASMs) into the market and I really enjoy them. Much more complex with nice variety.

Reaction Score
OK I think the industry has finally jumped the shark

Could be interesting though? I don't know anyone that thinks much of the Jefferson Ocean stuff, but the concept is cool. But it always seemed like it would be cheaper and more efficient to come up with a way to randomly sway the barrels in a warehouse. But what will zero gravity do? I wouldn't think it would be a good thing for the bourbon, because it would have less contact with the barrels. I can't imagine the lack of natural oxygen helps, but maybe radiation does?

I certainly wouldn't be the first to buy a bottle and the going rate is $74,850 over my general bottle limit, but I applaud the effort and it'll be a hell of a conversation piece.

Reaction Score
Strangest way of aging since I saw this one. I have actually had this rye and its quite good. And such an odd gimmick, I do wonder how they convinced folks to even do this or the space thing.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Technically, yes, JD is bourbon. But it becomes a TN Whiskey after they run it through the charcoal filtration process.

Been on the JD tour 3 times, live in TN and JD is one of my favorites. Really cool tour - worth the 90 minute drive from Nashville if you ever find yourself in the area!

Reaction Score
Technically, yes, JD is bourbon. But it becomes a TN Whiskey after they run it through the charcoal filtration process.

Been on the JD tour 3 times, live in TN and JD is one of my favorites. Really cool tour - worth the 90 minute drive from Nashville if you ever find yourself in the area!

Nope, sorry, its still bourbon.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Saw a Facebook post that a local shop had an Eagle Rare store pick for $40, so I grabbed it. Nobody at that store picked anything other than their own ass, but still it’s a good one at a good price.

Jack Daniels is just bourbon. Tennessee whiskey has no legal definition and Wild Turkey Longbranch is is also charcoal filtered @McLovin, give it a try. Much better than regular JD. The JD Single Barrels I’ve have have been good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom