Bouknights NBA stock | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Bouknights NBA stock

Reaction Score
For crying out loud and how soon we forget reality. We get a legitimate NBA projectable and immediately folks wring their hands about leaving early or too early.

The learned historians on this board will retell the wisdom of allowing kids to grow at their own pace, rely on their coaches and produce memorable performances for our enjoyment.

The fuller magnificent beauty of the arrival of James Bouknight is the bounty of NBAers-to-be to come.

Reaction Score
We all undoubtedly want the best for Bouknight but it seems logical to ask how many NBA teams are looking for slender 6'4" two guards not named Curry? Once that question is answered you have to consider how many other two guards are out there in the NCAA and other parts of the world, at what level competition they're playing and how their stats and intangibles compare to JB's in order to get a sense of what the competition will be for those draft slots.

JC's sources told him where a player would fit in a particular year's draft order and most players took his advice because the worst thing a player can do is leave when they're not yet prepared for the NBA's rigors. Rip being the best example of a player who listened and was much better for staying a third year.

JB has a great feel for the game. Gets great position on rebounds. Can make shots from anywhere on the floor. But, is he a lights out shooter in the AAC? Can he drive by his man at will in the AAC? Can he lock down his man on defense in the AAC? He blew us away with how good he looked in Charleston but he hasn't been consistent and has a number of issues he needs to work on, especially his defense.

Some here keep saying the NBA drafts on "potential" and that may be the key issue, but he needs to show more development and consistency before the league will believe in his potential. I hope I'm wrong and look forward to admitting it if he becomes the player we all believe he can be before three full years here.
He's not leaving after this year and isn't ready but my guess is there is probably little chance he ever stays here for a third year. Curry is a point guard so I wouldn't use him as an example. Bouk needs to put on a little weight and some strength but his height certainly won't be a problem for him. Just off the top of my head NBA shooting guards who are the same height or shorter than Bouknight- Oladipo, Lamb, Reddick, Lou Williams, Gary Harris, McCollum, Reddick, Donovan Mitchell, Bradley Beal, Buddy Hield, Devin Booker, Jrue Holiday, Jordan Poole

Reaction Score
He's not leaving after this year and isn't ready but my guess is there is probably little chance he ever stays here for a third year. Curry is a point guard so I wouldn't use him as an example. Bouk needs to put on a little weight and some strength but his height certainly won't be a problem for him. Just off the top of my head NBA shooting guards who are the same height or shorter than Bouknight- Oladipo, Lamb, Reddick, Lou Williams, Gary Harris, McCollum, Reddick, Donovan Mitchell, Bradley Beal, Buddy Hield, Devin Booker, Jrue Holiday, Jordan Poole
Don't forget Reddick

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
19 points on 7 shots with clear displays of his athleticism and shooting ability. 17+ points in his last 7 games.

But none of this matters cause he's skinny. Lol okay.

Reaction Score
19 points on 7 shots with clear displays of his athleticism and shooting ability. 17+ points in his last 7 games.

But none of this matters cause he's skinny. Lol okay.
He's gonna leave for the NBA and today was the perfect example of that. But today is also the perfect example of why he's going to take 2 years because he was absolutely abused on defense and he's aware that's what needs to be improved

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He's gonna leave for the NBA and today was the perfect example of that. But today is also the perfect example of why he's going to take 2 years because he was absolutely abused on defense and he's aware that's what needs to be improved
I don't think his defense impacts his draft position that much. His upside has been made more than clear, and the nba loves upside. I still think he comes back to be a lottery pick, but he's going to have a tough decision for sure.

Reaction Score
I don't think his defense impacts his draft position that much. His upside has been made more than clear, and the nba loves upside. I still think he comes back to be a lottery pick, but he's going to have a tough decision for sure.
I don't want to really continue this because it's going to come across as hating on Bouk and I don't want that. But he could barely stay on the court because of cheap fouls against USF. Every player in the G League would be the best player on USF let alone every NBA player

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

shooting and strength are seemingly the two easiest things for players to add in the nba.

Reaction Score
This thread is so ridiculous
The kid would be buried in the NBA and the G League right now, next year - both offensively and defensively
No doubt but if he were to lock up a first round guaranteed contract then bet on himself to develop in the g-league you couldn't blame him for taking the $

Reaction Score
That's all great. Got great ballet moves in college hoops, but he's gotta be stronger to thrive in the NBA: or, he could be turkey stuffing. Hope he diligently works the summer strenght program.

Reaction Score
The kid would be buried in the NBA and the G League right now, next year - both offensively and defensively
Agree wholeheartedly with this opinion.. James will not even get a sniff this year - take a look at ESPN's mock draft for this year, and he's not listed in their Top 60 players. As much as we love his potential, he has such a long way to go, and there's a ton of good players ahead of him, including foreign ones. Last year 3 players from overseas were taken in the first round. This year, per the mock draft, they're looking at 7 foreigners getting picked in the first 30.

So don't look at JB in isolation - look at his competition. I say his chances of going in the first round are 0% this year, 40% next year, and 60% in 2022. He and UConn would be best served by him playing another 2 years in college....think Rip's career track.

Reaction Score
Agree wholeheartedly with this opinion.. James will not even get a sniff this year - take a look at ESPN's mock draft for this year, and he's not listed in their Top 60 players. As much as we love his potential, he has such a long way to go, and there's a ton of good players ahead of him, including foreign ones. Last year 3 players from overseas were taken in the first round. This year, per the mock draft, they're looking at 7 foreigners getting picked in the first 30.

So don't look at JB in isolation - look at his competition. I say his chances of going in the first round are 0% this year, 40% next year, and 60% in 2022. He and UConn would be best served by him playing another 2 years in college....think Rip's career track.
You're way underselling Bouknight and how he projects to the NBA.

Reaction Score
Bouk needs at least 2 years against Beast quality NBA guards

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Whether or not he'd be buried in the league now is not the topic of this thread. It's his NBA draft stock. Most of the players who are drafted in the first round are buried in the NBA and don't ever have a major role on a team.

Will Bouknight be better off coming back if everything goes as many here think it would with him developing and being one of the top draft prospects after year 2? Yes. However, there are many reasons for which that might not happen like injuries or even just him underperforming huge expectations for him next year. Given that, if he gets a first round guaranteed (which for the record I don't think he will, but is definitely possible even without him being capable of a meaningful NBA minute off the bat), it is tough to say that he shouldn't take that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom