Bouknights NBA stock | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Bouknights NBA stock

Reaction Score
He needs to fill out a little bit into his "adult" body. He would get physically bullied in the NBA right now.

I say he goes after next season.

Reaction Score
It is really hard to project all but the top 5 or so players in the country into the NBA. If it was easy, NBA teams would draft better.

Bouk is an athletic, undersized 2. I don't know of a lot of NBA teams that need help at the 2 spot, so a player has to be pretty good to get drafted at that position.

But then again, I thought Romeo Langford was a slow, undersized 2 that couldn't shoot, and he got a guaranteed contract.

Romeo measured 6'6" in shoes with a +5 (6'11") wingspan. Wouldn't say undersized. NBA average sizes are 6'5" in shoes and 6'9" wingspan for a 2-guard.

I will say that Bouk's wingspan measurement would have a pretty big effect on his draft stock.

Reaction Score
The NBA draft is NOT about college production. It is about potential.
Agreed, but from a player's perspective, when you have lottery potential it's understandable to not want to get forced into playing in the G league with a lower bonus when the potential is there for a much bigger bonus and spot on a roster right away. Risk/reward game, but I do think the risk is lower for Bouknight because he clearly has an "it" factor (he has no obvious skill/athleticism/length deficiency) that a lot of would-be second round picks do not. For example, it was defensible for Deandre Daniels to leave UConn when he did; post tourney run and with his stock at the highest it ever would be. That's not the case here.

Reaction Score
Lottery picks lead their teams to the NCAA, usually pretty far. He'd be a fool to leave this year.
if he somehow sneaks into the first round you can't call a kid a fool for pursuing his dream and a guaranteed contract/signing bonus

Reaction Score
Call it a victory lap, but when I suggested Bouknight "could" leave for the draft, people said I was crazy. He's not far off at this point, as much as everyone wants him too, or thinks it's in his best interest to stay.

That being said, at this point I expect him to test the waters and return. But that will change if he continues on his hot streak.

When I read this I realize just how far we have fallen to think that he might actually leave, and it be anything close to reasonable that this would make sense. If he leaves not only is it a bad decision it's a TERRIBLE decision. He has a REASONABLE chance of being a round 1 pick next year. He has a REASONABLE chance of being drafted at all and headed straight to the D League or worse this year.

Reaction Score
He won't go in the first round next year. There's risk and teams draft on potential, but they don't pay for that potential until they have to.

I think he's better off waiting one more year.

Reaction Score
When I read this I realize just how far we have fallen to think that he might actually leave, and it be anything close to reasonable that this would make sense. If he leaves not only is it a bad decision it's a TERRIBLE decision. He has a REASONABLE chance of being a round 1 pick next year. He has a REASONABLE chance of being drafted at all and headed straight to the D League or worse this year.

What does any of this have to do with how far anyone has fallen?

Reaction Score
Second round hopes is one thing. If someone whispers in his ear that he is going in the first round.. even if late, thats hard to pass up. All it takes in his sophomore year in college is one injury for that opportunity to go away. A bird in the hand is worth more than 2 in the bush.

I'm not saying he will get a promise btw.

Reaction Score
What does any of this have to do with how far anyone has fallen?

A freshman has a great week against AAC competition, creates a little buzz, and we are back to saying with a straight face he could "test the waters on a jump." We want the talent back so bad as soon as we see a glimpse this is what we do. 2 months ago it was Bouk, 4 weeks ago Akok, now we are back to Bouk. Enjoy the kid because he won't be here for 4 but stop w this "testing the waters." If you believe that with any real conviction you are lying to yourself. This isn't the 2009 BE he's dropping 20 a night on.

Reaction Score
Second round hopes is one thing. If someone whispers in his ear that he is going in the first round.. even if late, thats hard to pass up. All it takes in his sophomore year in college is one injury for that opportunity to go away. A bird in the hand is worth more than 2 in the bush.

I'm not saying he will get a promise btw.

That opportunity goes away? hahaha. The opportunity for someone to draft you in the second round at best and send you to the D league? What a great opportunity that is! Goes away how? "Someone in his ear," yes that would be categorized under terrible decision. Injury forces you to come back as a Junior and go in round 1? Yup opportunity is gone! This kid is so far from running out of opportunities.

Reaction Score
Romeo measured 6'6" in shoes with a +5 (6'11") wingspan. Wouldn't say undersized. NBA average sizes are 6'5" in shoes and 6'9" wingspan for a 2-guard.

I will say that Bouk's wingspan measurement would have a pretty big effect on his draft stock.

6'9" at macduffie. Might've grown to 6'10 by now

Reaction Score
I think regardless of what year he declares, Bouk will gain alot of pre-draft hype when he puts up really good numbers in combine-like testing and in workouts. In a combine or workout setting, his measurables - wingspan, vert, agility, etc - are highlighted. The NBA loves measurables.

Reaction Score

Yeah. NBA guys care less about the poor technique, lapses in concentration, and undeveloped physique and more about how the measurements/combine numbers line up with the prototypes. Plenty of guys can jump out of the gym (Pat Connaughton) but fall due to a lack of lateral quickness and/or wingspan.

Bouknight is a rare talent that I'm reluctant to set any ceiling on. It's also way too early to attempt to define or limit his role at the next level.

But he's best with the ball in his hands, and there are only so many of those jobs. At 6'4 he's not ideal as a spot-up shooter and at 1.1 assists versus 1.9 turnovers he hasn't established himself as a natural pick-and-roll player. Barring a monster performance at the combine, I'd advice him to stay in college where he can continue to hone his craft and narrow in on an identity.

Reaction Score
Yeah. NBA guys care less about the poor technique, lapses in concentration, and undeveloped physique and more about how the measurements/combine numbers line up with the prototypes. Plenty of guys can jump out of the gym (Pat Connaughton) but fall due to a lack of lateral quickness and/or wingspan.

Bouknight is a rare talent that I'm reluctant to set any ceiling on. It's also way too early to attempt to define or limit his role at the next level.

But he's best with the ball in his hands, and there are only so many of those jobs. At 6'4 he's not ideal as a spot-up shooter and at 1.1 assists versus 1.9 turnovers he hasn't established himself as a natural pick-and-roll player. Barring a monster performance at the combine, I'd advice him to stay in college where he can continue to hone his craft and narrow in on an identity.

Great post. Perhaps one of my favorites as it is spot on. James is enormously talented, he just isnt quite there yet. But his ability and high ceiling are so there, it's great to see him do his thing. He didn't play very well tonight, but still had enough flashes to remind everyone that he is an unusual talent. He has some very big games ahead of him, likely next season.

Reaction Score

Pat Connaughton plays 18 minutes a game for the best team in the NBA?

Reaction Score
That opportunity goes away? hahaha. The opportunity for someone to draft you in the second round at best and send you to the D league? What a great opportunity that is! Goes away how? "Someone in his ear," yes that would be categorized under terrible decision. Injury forces you to come back as a Junior and go in round 1? Yup opportunity is gone! This kid is so far from running out of opportunities.
Go back and read it again buddy.

And you do realize that older you are the less attractive you are too the NBA. That's not too say s Junior can't go in the first round because obviously it happens but you will find a lot more freshmen and sophomores in the first half of the first round. Again if he has a first round offer it's hard to pass up... That's not too say that taking it would be the best decision. But it's definitely a very tough decision to make.

Last edited:

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
Bouk has averaged 20 ppg over the past 5 games. There can't be many other Freshmen (if any) who have scored 100 points over their last 5 games. The kid is a special talent.
They have never had to depend on a freshman like they do now. He is not close to ready for the NBA. Give this kid time to grow...junior year enters the draft...maybe but let’s pump the breaks a little bit..

Reaction Score
Call it a victory lap, but when I suggested Bouknight "could" leave for the draft, people said I was crazy. He's not far off at this point, as much as everyone wants him too, or thinks it's in his best interest to stay.

That being said, at this point I expect him to test the waters and return. But that will change if he continues on his hot streak.
I’m sorry but he is no where near ready for the NBA. He is still a young boy. Those are men in the NBA. His body needs to fill out to say the least. He is talented and will one day play in the NBA, but he needs to work on a lot of things. He needs to be more consistent. I do love his game and his skill set, but he would struggle in the D league. He would get lost in the shuffle and be forgotten in a few years if he left after this year.

Reaction Score
We all undoubtedly want the best for Bouknight but it seems logical to ask how many NBA teams are looking for slender 6'4" two guards not named Curry? Once that question is answered you have to consider how many other two guards are out there in the NCAA and other parts of the world, at what level competition they're playing and how their stats and intangibles compare to JB's in order to get a sense of what the competition will be for those draft slots.

JC's sources told him where a player would fit in a particular year's draft order and most players took his advice because the worst thing a player can do is leave when they're not yet prepared for the NBA's rigors. Rip being the best example of a player who listened and was much better for staying a third year.

JB has a great feel for the game. Gets great position on rebounds. Can make shots from anywhere on the floor. But, is he a lights out shooter in the AAC? Can he drive by his man at will in the AAC? Can he lock down his man on defense in the AAC? He blew us away with how good he looked in Charleston but he hasn't been consistent and has a number of issues he needs to work on, especially his defense.

Some here keep saying the NBA drafts on "potential" and that may be the key issue, but he needs to show more development and consistency before the league will believe in his potential. I hope I'm wrong and look forward to admitting it if he becomes the player we all believe he can be before three full years here.

Reactions: pj

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom