Bouknight | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Bouknight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For me, there are 5 guys as of now that I think are #1 worthy in any given year in Cunningham, Suggs, Mobley, Green and Kuminga. Can certainly see the arguments to put a few other guys in that tier as well. So I think there’s a pretty hard ceiling on Bouk’s draft position, but I’ll be thrilled if he goes anywhere in the lottery. His current mock to Memphis at #10 would be such a fun fit.
What do you see in Mobley, I know it's based in potential but I don't see it. I see a taller Noah Vonleh, I could be wrong.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
What do you see in Mobley, I know it's based in potential but I don't see it. I see a taller Noah Vonleh, I could be wrong.
I disagree, I see it. His fluidity and athleticism are insane for a 7 footer(although I suspect he’s a little under 7). He can beat guys off the dribble, can guard stretch forwards, can pass. Those kids don’t come around too often.

Reaction Score
I disagree, I see it. His fluidity and athleticism are insane for a 7 footer(although I suspect he’s a little under 7). He can beat guys off the dribble, can guard stretch forwards, can pass. Those kids don’t come around too often.

the only thing i question is his toughness/drive, but the nba staff will take care of that quick. kuminga is a fascinating prospect, he’s got the size & physical ability, there’s something missing.

back to the op, bouk is about right with his ranking 10-18. if he gets uconn to the sweet 16, now we’re talking top 10. if there is a tournament

Last edited:
Reaction Score
the only thing i question is his toughness/drive, but the nba staff will take care of that quick. kuminga is a fascinating prospect, he’s got the size & physical ability, there’s something missing.
Ok, you nailed it.......where is the drive/toughness, that can't be taught.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The reason why he has a reputation as a bad passer on NBA scouting reports is that he is not a good passer. I wouldn't say he is a liability, he just isn't good. He's wired to score and asked to score, so he does. A lot.

He doesn't see tough passes that haven't been coached to him in a way that guys like Shabazz, Marcus Williams, Taliek or Ollie would. Even Ben Gordon and a couple other our SGs over the years. Yesterday's dropped pass to Whaley (?) was one of just a few passes from Bouk where I thought "wow, he just made something out of nothing."

Some of our other talented SGs were just naturally better passers. Bouk really profiles a lot like a young Ray Allen at the college level. Excellent rebounding at his size, but not a natural passer. Obviously Ray was more of a sniper vs Bouk a shot creator, but you get the idea.

All of these are per 40:

Effortless James Year 1:
2.0 AST
2.8 TO

Effortless James Year 2:
1.8 AST
3.2 TO

Ray Allen Year 1:
2.6 AST
2.6 TO

Ray Allen Year 2:
2.9 AST
2.4 TO

Rip Hamilton Year 1:
3.6 AST
3.9 TO

Rip Hamilton Year 2:
2.9 AST
2.8 TO

Ben Gordon Year 1:
5.0 AST
3.8 TO

Ben Gordon Year 2:
5.7 AST
4.1 TO

Bah. Not really a fair comparison. Ray and Rip passed to people who made baskets. These chuckleheads playing with Bouk waste 2-4 assists a game. The video in this thread is an example. Bouk is playing in a broken offense. It’s hard to get assists when you are asked to provide 2/3 of your team‘s points.

As for Ben, he was a combo who ran the point at times. Was he a better passer? Yes, probably. But he had a guy named Okafor catching a lot of those passes and converting them.

I think James is plenty good as a passer, and I have said from early on, he’s a guy who will be better when playing with better players. Because he’s still seeing the defense and carving it up in his mind like Beth Harmon, but these other guys aren’t on the same page.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score

back to the op, bouk is about right with his ranking 10-18. if he gets uconn to the sweet 16, now we’re in the top 10. if there is a tournament
I haven’t seen much of Kuminga.
Jalen Suggs and Jalen Green would be the top of my draft board based on what I’ve seen so far.

I don’t see any reason why Bouk can’t be top 10. There are ten guys who are definitely better or even likely to be better. His offensive package is exactly what you’d want from an NBA 2. I view his ceiling comp as like Devin Booker, who’s going to be one of the faces of the league for years

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score

back to the op, bouk is about right with his ranking 10-18. if he gets uconn to the sweet 16, now we’re talking top 10. if there is a tournament
I need to see what NCAA tournament James Bouknight looks like, at least once.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
he’s a young kid on an immature cal team. from what i’ve seen in high school and glimpses @ kentucky , he’s got ingram’s skill set. and remember brandon ingram was considered a bust his rookie season?

I’m not saying I think he’s a bad prospect, just saying that in this particular draft class, this armchair GM wouldn’t use a lottery pick on him based on what I’ve seen so far. I would favor guys like Bouk, Josh Christopher and Moses Moody. There’s plenty of time for him to turn it around and change my opinion.

Just the fluidity and athleticism for his size and - simple as it sounds - his free throw stroke in the UConn game was so smooth I think he’s gonna be a really good shooter. I’d probably have him as #5 on that list I gave just because I’m not a huge fan of taking a big man that high, but I consume a lot of NBA Draft media and a lot of folks with better evaluation skills than me are super high on him.

edit: I think that Noah Vonleh comp is pretty spot on as a downside scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104