Bouknight on NBCSPORTS Boston nm | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Bouknight on NBCSPORTS Boston nm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I KNOW A VETERAN FREE AGENT GUARD THAT THE CHARLOTTE HORNETS KNOW PRETTY WELL WHO COULD BE A MENTOR FOR A YOUNG UCONN GUARD
Kevin Ollie extended his nba career for years playing that type of role. Teams don’t seem to value that as much anymore unfortunately..plus the nba seems to all agree that Kemba’s knee is completely gone

Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie extended his nba career for years playing that type of role. Teams don’t seem to value that as much anymore unfortunately..plus the nba seems to all agree that Kemba’s knee is completely gone
I was thinking Shabazz. If Bouk had his focus and resolve , he would be an amazing player. Nobody was more focused than Shabazz.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
Something just isn’t clicking for him yet at this level. Coaching staff seems willing to give it time & I hope he takes full advantage of the op. Kid has all the tools to be a plus starter in the league.

Reaction Score
I KNOW A VETERAN FREE AGENT GUARD THAT THE CHARLOTTE HORNETS KNOW PRETTY WELL WHO COULD BE A MENTOR FOR A YOUNG UCONN GUARD
He's not a free agent. Yet.

“I’ve got something in the tank, for sure,” he said. “I feel great. I’m going to be honest. I’m going to have my opportunity. I’m not in any rush right now. I’m just grinding and trying to feel as good as I can. And right now, I feel great. I feel as good as I’ve felt in a long time. I’m just waiting for the opportunity.”

Alternate free link:

Former Celtic Kemba Walker is missing October basketball for the first time as he waits for a call

Reaction Score
He's not a free agent. Yet.

“I’ve got something in the tank, for sure,” he said. “I feel great. I’m going to be honest. I’m going to have my opportunity. I’m not in any rush right now. I’m just grinding and trying to feel as good as I can. And right now, I feel great. I feel as good as I’ve felt in a long time. I’m just waiting for the opportunity.”

Alternate free link:

Former Celtic Kemba Walker is missing October basketball for the first time as he waits for a call

Woops, I thought they bought him out on draft night

Reaction Score
So your suggestion is he should have waited another year and come out… now? This is what I don’t get about that argument. He had a year of practicing against NBA players and learning an NBA system and he’s still struggling. Do you really think he would be in a fundamentally better place if he plays another year in college instead? What is it that would have changed with one more year of college?
Your question/argument is your answer: "he had a year of practicing against NBA players and learning an NBA system and he's still struggling." - SO if he wasn't ready for that of course he struggled and failed to benefit from it.
Would he have been better off playing in college and dominating, maturing a little bit before tackling the monumental task & responsibility of being a pro athlete?
Maybe (if he wasn't ready for it and either got down on himself for no PT or didn't work hard enough), maybe not - but its pretty hard to argue that he'd be in a worse place basketball-wise than where he is.
If nothing else he'd be a year more mature with extra year to go in his rookie contract = more likely to stick (countered potentially by worse draft position).

As always if the goal is maximize certainty of $ especially in the short term, any player that is certain to be in the first round should almost always come out. But if the goal is to get better at playing in high pressure basketball games and trust that ability will generate the most $$$$ over a career than sometimes the answer can be staying in college.

Reaction Score
I completely understand why the kid took the money, but man he needed another year of maturity.
Doesn't look like one year would have done it.

All the narratives on his makeup were valid.

Reaction Score
Hornets just need to tank, although with their roster and how good the East is this year it's not gonna be too difficult for them to be at the bottom

Reaction Score
Hornets just need to tank, although with their roster and how good the East is this year it's not gonna be too difficult for them to be at the bottom

Looks like Bouknight is going to get significant minutes in the next few games, whether he’s earned them or not.

I hope they don’t swap Bouknight with Lamelo in the starting lineup. Charlotte actually doesn’t really have any PGs after Melo. DSJ is an undersized SG, Bouk is SG, Martin is SG (btw is he injured?), Rozier is SG, McGowens is SG/SF.

I hope they don’t slot Bouk in at PG and expect him to run the offense. He’s always been best as a scorer, no matter how bad he’s been in preseason so far.

That said, he’s got an opportunity to play 30 minutes and redeem himself

Reaction Score
Your question/argument is your answer: "he had a year of practicing against NBA players and learning an NBA system and he's still struggling." - SO if he wasn't ready for that of course he struggled and failed to benefit from it.
Would he have been better off playing in college and dominating, maturing a little bit before tackling the monumental task & responsibility of being a pro athlete?
Maybe (if he wasn't ready for it and either got down on himself for no PT or didn't work hard enough), maybe not - but its pretty hard to argue that he'd be in a worse place basketball-wise than where he is.
If nothing else he'd be a year more mature with extra year to go in his rookie contract = more likely to stick (countered potentially by worse draft position).

As always if the goal is maximize certainty of $ especially in the short term, any player that is certain to be in the first round should almost always come out. But if the goal is to get better at playing in high pressure basketball games and trust that ability will generate the most $$$$ over a career than sometimes the answer can be staying in college.
Ehh, it sort of comes down to what you think the issue is. The folks that were so vehemently stumping for him returning for another year seemed to see some significant defect in his maturity and if we are to accept that hypothetical, I just can't imagine what another year where he already spent two years would have done to significant impact that. If Bouknight had come back for another season, there is a very real possibility that he would have ended up no more prepared for NBA life than when he left and would have taken on a lot of risk (and given up a year of pro earning potential) to get there.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Doesn't look like one year would have done it.

All the narratives on his makeup were valid.
You are absolutely correct. From right before his freshman season on.

Also why he was drafted later than many thought. The NBA did their homework

Reaction Score
Looks like Bouknight is going to get significant minutes in the next few games, whether he’s earned them or not.

I hope they don’t swap Bouknight with Lamelo in the starting lineup. Charlotte actually doesn’t really have any PGs after Melo. DSJ is an undersized SG, Bouk is SG, Martin is SG (btw is he injured?), Rozier is SG, McGowens is SG/SF.

I hope they don’t slot Bouk in at PG and expect him to run the offense. He’s always been best as a scorer, no matter how bad he’s been in preseason so far.

That said, he’s got an opportunity to play 30 minutes and redeem himself
They've been grooming him as an on-ball combo playmaker in a Lou Williams type role. He'll know what to do playing alongside Rozier.

Reaction Score

The Chief agrees 100%.

Reaction Score
I have to admit, Chief, you may have been right all along on James and the advice he chose to follow not being the best path for him. But, he's not a kid anymore and at this point if he doesn't realize the yellow brick road starts in the gym then that's on him. I pray he figures it out.
I pray James figures it out too. He needs to set himself up for success before he even steps on the court.

Reaction Score
Nobody ever kept Kevin Ollie on a roster for long with the exception of the 76ers under Larry Brown. Take a look at his career. He changed teams like 15 times in 13 years.

Reaction Score
Nobody ever kept Kevin Ollie on a roster for long with the exception of the 76ers under Larry Brown. Take a look at his career. He changed teams like 15 times in 13 years.
Yeah but the last few years were all in the “mentor” role

Reaction Score
He is practicing 24/7 with no classes to distract him. Hard to think another year would have made much difference for Bouk. It would have made a huge difference for the Huskies.

He went in the lottery, he had to go. Plus the whole Covid thing with players getting extra years and stuff really made the draft scenarios confusing. If he has the talent (I think he does) he'll be in the NBA a long time. If not. He got his money.

There isn't a worse place in the NBA than Charlotte. Wish they would stop taking our players.

Reaction Score
I knew the KO/JC relationship was damaged very badly when KO had Larry Brown come to Storrs and observe the team. That was sticking it to Jim.

Reaction Score
Strange that Xavier Sneed, the guy they dumped Whaley for, has yet to play a single second in the preseason. Charlotte being Charlotte.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
i don't get this continual claptrap on james leaving when he did, especially the psycobabble on his maturity. he's a grown man and, from a distance, seems aboot as normal as most other folks. let's put it this way, with jc instead of danny running things at that time, end of james' year 2:
(exit interview)
jc: well, looks pretty good that if you go, u'll be a lotto pick. what do you think, james?
james: yeah, i hear that too.... how aboot you? what do you think?
jc: ya came here to learn your game, get some pub, and make it to the league. ya gotta go, and now is the time...
james: yeah, i see it the same way.
jc: good move.

i make that happening 10 out of 10 ten times.
not complicated. millions of bucks is a real thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom