Bouknight Draft Watch | Page 31 | The Boneyard

Bouknight Draft Watch

Reaction Score
Is there any pontential draft choice doing better marketing than Bouk?

Alternate access link here <<

-> “Gonna tell ya a story,” Bouknight said Monday on a call with reporters before Thursday’s NBA draft. “I first got back to New York on Sunday. I went back to the neighborhood where I grew up, the Lower West Side, Chelsea area, and I went down to the park where I use to play and there was a whole bunch of kids there.

“… And the kids wouldn’t leave me alone ‘til it got to the point where it got kind of annoying, and then I was just like, ‘I’m an inspiration now,’ and it felt good. It hit me a little different, that kids look up to me, seeing us come from the same neighborhood. It made them feel like they could really do it. That’s what I want to be, an inspiration, someone kids look up to and say, ‘He did it, I could do it, too.’” <-

-> “Once I made the decision to declare, I felt I was ready for the league,” Bouknight said. “But this process, it has really been a lot. For me it was broken into two parts. The first two months were just focusing in on skill work, getting my work in, my body right, eating right things, staying on top of what I needed to stay on top of. Then it’s the combine [in Chicago in late June], pre-draft workouts. Now, I’ve got to take all the stuff I did and apply it, show what I’ve been working on and go in and dominate. Do what I do.” <-

Reaction Score
This paragraph from today's Courant article says it all about the great job DH has done with his programs to prepare the players for life after UConn. Imagine the boost it brings to recruiting:

“Playing for Coach [Dan] Hurley, that’s going to prepare you for life, the real world,” Bouknight said. “I feel like the biggest thing I learned form UConn is how to be a real person, a real man. Off the court, being accountable and someone people could rely on, making a schedule and being able to stick to that schedule and setting goals — not just thinking they’re going to happen but make them happen, literally speak them into existence.”

Reaction Score

Wonder if there is any legitimacy to this. Bouk said in his interview that he hasn’t been in communication with the Raptors, but i’ve seen a few different things indicating he has. Hmmmm. (no real sources, just twitter)

I think this may just be the Raptors MO. They tell everyone not to tell anyone anything. Incredibly tight lipped ship. So he totally could be an option for them, but I wouldn't view this as a sign it's likely.

Reaction Score
I think this may just be the Raptors MO. They tell everyone not to tell anyone anything. Incredibly tight lipped ship. So he totally could be an option for them, but I wouldn't view this as a sign it's likely.
I was thinking the same thing. I would be very shocked if they didn’t at least consider Bouk, but all the buzz has been around the Raptors taking Sugg with that pick

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing. I would be very shocked if they didn’t at least consider Bouk, but all the buzz has been around the Raptors taking Sugg with that pick
Bouk has apparently been very impressive in his workouts so if he had a workout with a team don’t count him out

Reaction Score
Bouk has apparently been very impressive in his workouts so if he had a workout with a team don’t count him out
Yeah agreed on that. I also think Bouk has one of the highest ceilings out of any guy in this draft class.

Raptors wouldn’t be doing their due diligence if they weren’t at least reaching out to him, in my opinion. Especially with the way he has been rising lately.

Reaction Score

There is usually always a top 5 surprise. The mocks all have the same top 5 and there is no chance that’s the case. Bouk definitely in play at #4.

Reaction Score
can’t just throw out “jamal murray” type talent. that’s a ton of hype

if he was healthy, the nuggets could’ve been in the nba finals

Reaction Score
“It’s a big deal,” Hurley, the Jersey City native who played at St. Anthony High School and Seton Hall, said Monday by phone. “It’s probably the coolest thing that I’ve been a part of as a head coach.

“Winning the conference championship or getting to the NCAA Tournament or winning a game pales in comparison to being part of James’ life and his development and a guy that from the day that he stepped foot on campus just blossomed and grew and developed so much, so James is a really, really important guy in the history of UConn basketball because if you’ve got NBA talent, he’s kind of made it cool to go and play at UConn again.”

Reaction Score

Wonder if there is any legitimacy to this. Bouk said in his interview that he hasn’t been in communication with the Raptors, but i’ve seen a few different things indicating he has. Hmmmm. (no real sources, just twitter)

Reaction Score
“It’s a big deal,” Hurley, the Jersey City native who played at St. Anthony High School and Seton Hall, said Monday by phone. “It’s probably the coolest thing that I’ve been a part of as a head coach.

“Winning the conference championship or getting to the NCAA Tournament or winning a game pales in comparison to being part of James’ life and his development and a guy that from the day that he stepped foot on campus just blossomed and grew and developed so much, so James is a really, really important guy in the history of UConn basketball because if you’ve got NBA talent, he’s kind of made it cool to go and play at UConn again.”

This is super cool. For people more familiar with the draft, I’ve seen HC’s there before. Is it common for Assistants to go too? Seems Kimani REALLY is connected with the kids. Hard to overstate his importance

Reaction Score
It sure sounds like Bouknight ain't going past the #6 pick, only way I see it happening is if OKC somehow trades up to get Mobley. OKC was very interested in Bouknight entering the draft last year.

Reaction Score

I know there was a lot of griping about how long it took Bouknight to return from his elbow injury. Honestly, it probably just felt like a long time to fans who were worried our tournament chances might slip away. However, as time passes, I’m more grateful that Bouknight put his team ahead of his draft prospects and finished the season. I also never bought that playing at less than 100% would hurt his stock, as it wasn’t a chronic injury. I’m especially appreciative every time I’m reminded that Jalen Johnson left Duke in the middle of the season.

Reaction Score
Kevin O'Connor from the The Ringer updated and most likely final mock draft.

Bouk at #6 to OKC

OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER
What a wonderful fit Bouknight would be with Shai Gilgeous-Alexander. SGA is more of the methodical, deceptive scorer. Bouknight has more speed and athleticism. He has risen throughout the pre-draft process, showing off an improved jump shot. If the results carry over to the NBA, getting to the basket could get even easier for him. But the Thunder continue to try to move up, likely targeting Cunningham, Green, or Mobley, league sources say.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At first I wanted Bouk to go to the Warriors since I thought it would be cool to watch him play with Steph and Klay and always being on primetime. But after thinking about it more I really hope he doesn't go there at all. They would probably just use him as trade bait if he panned out or would have a really small leash with him because they are in win now mode. Not a fan of small market teams but Im cool with OKC or Memphis hopefully not Orlando.

Reaction Score
Does OKC love him enough to trade up to 4 to get him if they think Orlando will take him at 5?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom