Bouknight Draft Watch | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Bouknight Draft Watch

Reaction Score
Big Abe's take looking and trending in a mighty strong fashion. And grass is green.
Gonna give @Abe1 respect. .He was way out in front of most Yarders about Bouk for a long time around the injury situation.

I was skeptical about Bouk's Lottery position.Not his NBA draft attractiveness.

I was wrong on his draft position. I'm not an expert or an insider. I now think he goes in position 5 to 10.

Love Bouk's NBA upside...Happy for him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From Givony:

All year, we've heard about a 'five-player draft.' Is there a player who could break up that top-five group?​

While he might not go in the top five, James Bouknight could ultimately end up as one of the best players to come out of this class outside that core four. With the NBA full of guards who can shoot off the dribble, score out of quick actions and create offense, Bouknight is a perfect fit and should look even better with NBA spacing at his disposal. Analytics models won't appreciate his negative assist-to-turnover ratio or sub-30% 3-point clip, but Bouknight is as talented of a shot-creator as you'll find after Cunningham and Green.

ESPN Article

Yeesh, Givony must have done zero homework prior to a few weeks ago. He had Bouknight in the 20s in mid-June. Glad he's seen the light.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Gonna give @Abe1 respect. .He was way out in front of most Yarders about Bouk for a long time around the injury situation.

I was wrong on his draft position. I'm not an expert or an insider. I now think he goes in position 5 to 10.

Bouk is a rare talent. My sense was that he was a guy who could do a lot to show NBA guys that the negatives aren’t quite the negatives they seem to be. The injury, his role taking tough shots and not being asked to get assists for us. I saw enough of him to think that on a team with NBA level finishers he can generate a lot of assists. He sees the spacing and reads the court better than any UConn player I’ve seen. Credit to him for recognizing the things he needed to show and putting in the work to convince GMs. He entered this process with the ability to slide or rise.

Reaction Score
My sources say he’s in the 15-17 range & should have came back to school……

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I think it’s less that people were wrong in estimating his draft position than that Bouk did the hard work necessary to improve his standing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That’s not factual…the feedback came back top 10. That’s why the decision was made.
I’m sure you’re right, although, you may remember there was a lot of chatter that indicating James coming in lower for a while. I don’t pretend to have any inside sources or expertise, but that’s what I was reading here and elsewhere for a while.

My point simply is James looked terrific workouts, especially raining threes down. It felt to me like he’s been working hard. Sometimes I think some people, not you, but some people, don’t appreciate the hard work it takes to be an elite athlete. My post was just pointing out that James is doing that hard work and deserves recognition for it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I believe the Orlando metro is, or at least was, the second fastest growing major metro in the country. It’s become a rather large market.
If only I'd been forward looking enough to buy some land when we went to Disney World in 1972................
The traffic on I-4 is unbelievable and won't be getting better anytime soon so lots of potential Husky fans to be developed there by JB.

Reaction Score
If you are a first rounder, and guaranteed first round, you leave. If you are a consensus top 20 pick, you are going to get taken.

Interestingly, this was the consensus as of when Bouk declared.

With NIL, the economic cliff is much less severe, so players in that mid to late first rounder may actually be looking at a financial wash or even more guaranteed $$ coming back to school and being an All conf, All American, NCAA Tourney star than being the 10th guy on the (random NBA team).

The ship has sailed this year but I bet next year we see alot more kids with existing NIL deals test the waters and come back, meaning the draft moving forward will look different

Reaction Score
With NIL, the economic cliff is much less severe, so players in that mid to late first rounder may actually be looking at a financial wash or even more guaranteed $$ coming back to school and being an All conf, All American, NCAA Tourney star than being the 10th guy on the (random NBA team).
I think you are seriously overestimating how much money kids will make from NIL. Desmond Bane, who was the last pick of the first round in 2020, signed a four-year deal worth nearly $10 million, and is making just under $2 million this year. No basketball player is going to make $2 million a year in college from NIL money.

Reaction Score
I think you are seriously overestimating how much money kids will make from NIL. Desmond Bane, who was the last pick of the first round in 2020, signed a four-year deal worth nearly $10 million, and is making just under $2 million this year. No basketball player is going to make $2 million a year in college from NIL money.
Not even in Baton Rouge, Lexington, etc.?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

First rounders won’t stay.

But you forget that there’s like 100 underclassmen who declare for a 60 player draft (and some seniors and foreigners get drafted)

I’d like to see that number cut down as it’s in everyone’s best interest

Reaction Score
From David Aldridge and The Athletic:

(Making a case for who is the 4th best guard in the class behind, Cunningham, Suggs and Green)

The case for Bouknight

Eastern Conference executive 3:
He shot the piss out the ball in workouts. I don’t know if he’s the hardest worker in practice, but when the lights come on, he shined.

College head coach 2 (his team played UConn last year): Streaky. He can shoot, can put it on the floor. He just needs to become a more consistent shooter. All that will fall into place. He can put it on the floor. He kicked our ass. First game he struggled; next game he went off on us. But he’s got to improve on his game. Don’t think “I’ve made it.” Continue to work on his handle. Like everybody in college, it’s a different level when you get to (the NBA). But I like him.

I wonder who the coach was.

The Athletic NBA Draft Article

Reaction Score
From David Aldridge and The Athletic:

(Making a case for who is the 4th best guard in the class behind, Cunningham, Suggs and Green)

The case for Bouknight

Eastern Conference executive 3:
He shot the piss out the ball in workouts. I don’t know if he’s the hardest worker in practice, but when the lights come on, he shined.

College head coach 2 (his team played UConn last year): Streaky. He can shoot, can put it on the floor. He just needs to become a more consistent shooter. All that will fall into place. He can put it on the floor. He kicked our ass. First game he struggled; next game he went off on us. But he’s got to improve on his game. Don’t think “I’ve made it.” Continue to work on his handle. Like everybody in college, it’s a different level when you get to (the NBA). But I like him.

I wonder who the coach was.

The Athletic NBA Draft Article
Wojciechowski? Bouknight had 6 against Marquette the first time they played (during which he was injured) and 24 in the second game.

Reaction Score
Wojciechowski? Bouknight had 6 against Marquette the first time they played (during which he was injured) and 24 in the second game.

I figured it was Jay Wright since he had sources from USA basketball. Jay is with the USA team now.

Edit: Bouk played poorly in 2019-20 vs. Nova but had a good game in 20-21

Reaction Score

I mean, I don't think anyone knows for sure... but the 30th pick in the draft actually signs a 3 year deal. 4th year is an option. so its like 3 years, 5m guaranteed. And unless there is some weird circumstance he'll be riding the pine, and immediately become a small fish in a big marketing pond rather than the other way at State U. And of course notoriously 2nd round deals are often non-guaranteed so that is a consideration.

So really the calculation is...(if you are a fringy 1st rounder... say 20-40)

Do I go now and get somewhere in the draft and take a risk, or do I keep getting paid ($XXX) and enjoy the college life and develop my game and win awards and be on TV alot playing meaningful games on national TV with coeds and boosters thinking you are god. It kinda inverts the risk analysis since you already have an income and reliability.

I'm not pretending to know how its going to play out, but my gut tells me that there will be many, manyyyy fewer fringe players in future drafts, and NIL will tilt the "declare for NBA" from "Yea college is fun but what do I have to lose, I just want to start getting a paycheck somewhere my family needs money" to "ooh, I'm already getting like $100-300k/yr in endorsements, a university paid financial advisor to help me with my money, a free lease from Dan Autoshop to play 35 games a year in front of 15000 for OK State and do some social posts and Bobs Discount Furniture ads... or... maybe getting drafted by the Celtics 33rd, next thing you know you are traded to the Heat for a future 2nd round pick, a donut and 2 bottles of chipotle and playing 75 games for the Sioux Falls Skyforce in front of 350 people on ESPN 8 'The Ocho'.

I'm being somewhat facetious but I really do think it will be a sea change in economic security for some of these players, which ultimately will be good for both leagues - The NCAA will have to adapt to the new world, but should see more good players staying in college over time, increased competition for player services as programs adopt different strategies to recruit players and support their earning potential to recruit and (most importantly) keep their players. And for the NBA, they get more mature players - both in age and in life experience who are more practiced in the business side of the game strait out of college, and less fringy guys to wade thru and gamble on.

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

NBA.com did a compilation of the prominent mock drafts out there and had Bouknight at 8 along with him being the biggest riser.

• The player making the biggest rise since the Lottery is James Bouknight, a shooting guard out of UConn. According to ESPN’s Jonathan Givony, Bouknight had an “impressive” pro day and is looking like “one of the best shooters in the draft.” Bouknight now appears as high as seventh to Golden State (four times) or three times to the Magic at No. 8. Expect his stock to continue to rise as more mock drafts update leading up to Draft night.

Reaction Score
First rounders won’t stay.

But you forget that there’s like 100 underclassmen who declare for a 60 player draft (and some seniors and foreigners get drafted)

I’d like to see that number cut down as it’s in everyone’s best interest

I didn't forget anything. I'm literally talking to someone saying guys who are late first-rounders will make more money in school than in the NBA. Thanks anyway.

Reaction Score

NBA.com did a compilation of the prominent mock drafts out there and had Bouknight at 8 along with him being the biggest riser.

• The player making the biggest rise since the Lottery is James Bouknight, a shooting guard out of UConn. According to ESPN’s Jonathan Givony, Bouknight had an “impressive” pro day and is looking like “one of the best shooters in the draft.” Bouknight now appears as high as seventh to Golden State (four times) or three times to the Magic at No. 8. Expect his stock to continue to rise as more mock drafts update leading up to Draft night.
So he went from all over the lottery in the last consensus to coalescing at 7 or 8. Most mocks have him ahead of Moody and Keon now, and some ahead of Mitchell.

Reaction Score
Most of Bouk's perceived weaknesses that are constantly mentioned by the experts- shot selection, turnovers, 3p%- all came with the territory of what he was asked to do in our offense last year. There were many times, pre-injury, that James looked like the best player in the country. His game will be a perfect fit for the NBA right now. Somebody is going to get very lucky with this pick.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom