Boston Globe goes after UMass football | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Boston Globe goes after UMass football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Marty Jackson said:
Uconn is the exception. What other school has won 3 NC's in the past 15 years? Uconn is not defined by the AAC... 'Uconn is in a league of it's own, g-dammit!' here's a new avatar for you.

Henceforth, he shall be known as "Freeyore"...

Reaction Score
.....which brings us after spending way to much time on a school (UMASS) that it's own state won't support to this:
1)UMASS is in deep schittah and going nowhere.
THE BEST THING FOR THE REGION IS:
{There is, I think (9,00 to 10,000) of us UCONN alums in the immediate boston area }
2)UCONN VS. Boston College in a home and home will be the best draw and for Boston College in particular given the press given to Red Sox/Celts/Pats /Bruins and yes even the Yankees.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The Sheraton Tara is in Framingham! I think the hotel he was at is the DoubleTree.
I'm trying to picture where in Westborough a DoubleTree is that is close to 495 interchange and all I can think of is Research Ave./Computer Drive. I don't think it was always there. At least it wasn't always a DoubleTree. I grew up not far from there and I held jobs in my teens up and down route 9 (6 months at McDonalds, a year at Scioletti's Italian Eatery (Since closed), and a summer in the warehouse at Bose). The only other hotel that comes to mind in that area is the Red Roof Inn on the westbound side coming from Southboro :confused:.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Maybe 10 years ago and not, he still has not changed. He’s the only one of 4 guys I used to hang out with a lot (we all started on the same customer service team at the same time) that firmly believes that 1) Boston is way better culturally and job-wise than NYC, and 2) that Boston drivers are not the worst in the country (outside of RI drivers).
It also highlights one of UMass’s many issues. No one in on Beacon Hill gives a crap about what happens outside of 495 for the most part. That is reflected in terms of how UMass Amherst is funded and how poor its sports brand is. Heck, UConn is closer to the Common than UMass Amherst. Plus, UMass Amherst has to deal with the fact that it ranks way behind the pro teams in Boston, plus, BC, BU and Harvard. If UConn is having a good year, the Huskies get more time on Channel 5 than the Minutemen. Plus, UMass Amherst for all intent is now competing for state dollars with UMass Lowell. UMass Lowell has a very politically connected President (Meehan) who has leading an expansion of the school’s sports (going to America East) and academics and that school is only 40 miles from the Common and is reachable by commuter rail.

I think this highlights the biggest problem UMass has. Boston has so many schools, it is flooded with college students more than any other city in the country, and none of them go to UMass Amherst. So even the bars in town don't cater to UMass fans or grads to any degree. BC would probably be tops in that regard, but they are overwhelmed by competition as well.

Reaction Score
I'm trying to picture where in Westborough a DoubleTree is that is close to 495 interchange and all I can think of is Research Ave./Computer Drive. I don't think it was always there. At least it wasn't always a DoubleTree. I grew up not far from there and I held jobs in my teens up and down route 9 (6 months at McDonalds, a year at Scioletti's Italian Eatery (Since closed), and a summer in the warehouse at Bose). The only other hotel that comes to mind in that area is the Red Roof Inn on the westbound side coming from Southboro :confused:.

I do not remember the actual hotel either (maybe the Courtyard?) as it was on the westbound side of Rte 9 in the big corporate park just past I-495. But, at least I knew where Westborough was. He did not and I know for a fact was in Hopkinton a few times playing HS football (Tri-Valley) and as a volunteer at the Boston Marathon start line with me.

Reaction Score
I think this highlights the biggest problem UMass has. Boston has so many schools, it is flooded with college students more than any other city in the country, and none of them go to UMass Amherst. So even the bars in town don't cater to UMass fans or grads to any degree. BC would probably be tops in that regard, but they are overwhelmed by competition as well.

I agree. After college, Boston pulls in grads from just about every college in New England on top of those who graduated from a school in Boston itself. Finding a fellow alumni in Boston is like finding a needle in a haystack. The colleges with a strong alumni network based on academics (Harvard, MIT, Brown, Dartmouth, Amherst, etc.) or sports (BC, UConn) have an advantage in marketing, donors, etc. over those that don't. UMass is not particularly strong in either category and basically gets lost in the ocean.

Husky25

Reaction Score

Since the Boston Pro teams started caring again with the Patriots' win 1st SB win (and the Yawkee Trust was forced to sell the Red Sox, NESN and Fenway Park), no one had any time for college sports. By the time 2003 rolled around, one winning season ran into the next and the fact the Sox lost the ALCS only made fans hungrier for 2004 (The A-Rod hot stove situation certainly fanned the flames). Pro baseball runs into Pro football, and by the time the Patriots were done, it's time for spring training again. Things only got worse in 2007-08 when Allen and Garnett came to Boston (along with the Sox winning their 2nd WS in 4 years), and hit a fever pitch in 2011 when the Bruins won. The NBA and NHL playoffs run into June, at which point the casual fan starts all over with the Red Sox.

I don't really blame the Boston Sports fan though. Broadcast journalism doesn't pay anything, , let alone college, any mind outside 128. The high and mighty Jerry Callahan belittles anyone and anything that is not pro sports (or right wing) as unworthy and while NESN is the New England Sports Network, they even gloss over Western MA and Connecticut in their weather reports (they typically give temps for in Boston, Worcester, Providence, Nashua and Portland). The EEI morning show used to make fun or John Meterparel's play-by-play of BC football. It may be all jokes and giggles at the time, but that sinks in to peoples' psyche to a point that they will ignore the broadcast. Even the guy doing the sports flash reported with a tone of amazement (John Risch, I think) when UMass reentered the top 25 a couple weeks ago. The only show that may give Western MA and or CT any lip service at all is Planet Mikey and that is only because Mike Adams is from Manchester.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I do not remember the actual hotel either (maybe the Courtyard?) as it was on the westbound side of Rte 9 in the big corporate park just past I-495. But, at least I knew where Westborough was. He did not and I know for a fact was in Hopkinton a few times playing HS football (Tri-Valley) and as a volunteer at the Boston Marathon start line with me.
I played Tri-Valley baseball one summer in Southboro. Our only two loses were to Bellingham. I now know exactly where you are referring to. The corporate park is indeed off of the Research Dr./Computer Dr. exit.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Since the Boston Pro teams started caring again with the Patriots' win 1st SB win (and the Yawkee Trust was forced to sell the Red Sox, NESN and Fenway Park), no one had any time for college sports. By the time 2003 rolled around, one winning season ran into the next and the fact the Sox lost the ALCS only made fans hungrier for 2004 (The A-Rod hot stove situation certainly fanned the flames). Pro baseball runs into Pro football, and by the time the Patriots were done, it's time for spring training again. Things only got worse in 2007-08 when Allen and Garnett came to Boston (along with the Sox winning their 2nd WS in 4 years), and hit a fever pitch in 2011 when the Bruins won. The NBA and NHL playoffs run into June, at which point the casual fan starts all over with the Red Sox.

I don't really blame the Boston Sports fan though. Broadcast journalism doesn't pay anything, , let alone college, any mind outside 128. The high and mighty Jerry Callahan belittles anyone and anything that is not pro sports (or right wing) as unworthy and while NESN is the New England Sports Network, they even gloss over Western MA and Connecticut in their weather reports (they typically give temps for in Boston, Worcester, Providence, Nashua and Portland). The EEI morning show used to make fun or John Meterparel's play-by-play of BC football. It may be all jokes and giggles at the time, but that sinks in to peoples' psyche to a point that they will ignore the broadcast. Even the guy doing the sports flash reported with a tone of amazement (John Risch, I think) when UMass reentered the top 25 a couple weeks ago. The only show that may give Western MA and or CT any lip service at all is Planet Mikey and that is only because Mike Adams is from Manchester.

Mike Adams is from Manchester? Never knew that. I'm from Manchester. He's older and went to Avon Old Farms it seems.

Agree on the psyche. My wife looks at me funny about my interests in college sports. But then my family came to Manchester from Kansas City, and so I became a Big 8 fan as a young kid, and my dad latched on to UConn basketball back in the 70's.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Mike Adams is from Manchester? Never knew that. I'm from Manchester. He's older and went to Avon Old Farms it seems.

Agree on the psyche. My wife looks at me funny about my interests in college sports. But then my family came to Manchester from Kansas City, and so I became a Big 8 fan as a young kid, and my dad latched on to UConn basketball back in the 70's.
He always talks about it. I just assumed...I lived in Manchester for 8 years after College.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
UMass needs a geographic rivalry every year with UConn (and we need it too)... Imagine a New England "Boarder War" of sorts?

Besides that me and my buddys (one lives in NH and one in Boston) have debated UMass' move to FBS for awhile. The stadium was a huge mistake, they could have upgraded McGirk in stages over a number of years to make it work in the interim and petitioned the NCAA to play at least in-conference and FCS opp. games on campus, even with less seating than allowed.

The conference they play in is also a HUGE drawback... Let's face it the MAC is a great, competitive football conference, but its mid-major and in the middle of the country. Closest team is Bufffalo.

Then there's Gillette & Boston-- News flash! Boston is NOT A COLLEGE SPORTS TOWN! Its just not. Hockey is one thing. But remember a few years back when BC would have a turnout at Alumni Stadium that resembed The Rent vs. Memphis two weeks ago? There way too many pro sports choices in Boston. Look at Temple in Philly (same issue).

We're really lucky in CT that our state has no real pro sports identity, and UConn has become in essence our state's team.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I actually thought the Globe piece was pretty balanced. It is correct that you can't make a sensible decision based on 2 years. UMass really needs to rethink the Gillette strategy though. Makes sense to play a game or 2 there maybe, but they really need to focus on developing a fan base from Worcester west. I know there are a lot of UMass alumni in Eastern Mass, but they aren't football fans since there never really has been 1A UMass football to support. they need to be focusing on the folks who have always supported UMass and on developing a new fan base among the student body. Playing games 100 miles from campus doesn't do that. they really need to play most home games in Amherst. An expanded McGurk Stadium to about 20,000 would probably work pretty well and is consistent with the MAC. 15,000 in a 20,000 seat stadium is a solid crowd. the same 15,000 in a 70,000 seat stadium looks and feels like nobody. Play BC at Foxborough, play some other game at Foxborough, then play the MAC home schedule in Amherst. Maybe you get lucky and some year you get BC or UConn to agree to play a game in Amherst and you have lots of folks on campus.

It really would be like if UConn played their home games in Stamford... Rediculous to think anyone (especially students) would bother to come that far to see a poor team play poor opponets in a oversized, caverous NFL stadium that offers no homefield advantage or builds any sense of tradition for your university.

Reaction Score

Coming off I495 South onto Route 9 West The DoubleTree is the first building on the right. You can't there from there, you have to go down Route 9 and take the access road (Computer Drive?) back to the Hotel. I am confident that if hasn't always been a DoubleTree. I am not sure how long it has been a DoubleTree.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
UMass needs a geographic rivalry every year with UConn (and we need it too)... Imagine a New England "Boarder War" of sorts?
We don't need a rivalry with one of the current worst programs in D1. Nothing screams small time more than that. Perception is reality. We need a rivalry with one of the three local BCS schools - BC, RU or Cuse. They're not top 25 programs but they were all respectable enough to get picked before us.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We don't need a rivalry with one of the current worst programs in D1. Nothing screams small time more than that. Perception is reality. We need a rivalry with one of the three local BCS schools - BC, RU or Cuse. They're not top 25 programs but they were all respectable enough to get picked before us.

We need both. A home and home with RU is not going to make a whits bit of difference to the decision of the casual fan or the local press to pay attention. Between 6 and 8 conference games against southern schools is going to suck the interest out of this program. We have got to play Navy, Temple and Cincinnati every year, and I would like to get UMass into the league or make it an annual game.

We are no longer "too good" for UMass. We are in a Group of Five conference just like they are.

Reaction Score
A yearly game against RU and BC wouldn't matter but the games against TEMPLE do?

Sure.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
We need both. A home and home with RU is not going to make a whits bit of difference to the decision of the casual fan or the local press to pay attention. Between 6 and 8 conference games against southern schools is going to suck the interest out of this program. We have got to play Navy, Temple and Cincinnati every year, and I would like to get UMass into the league or make it an annual game.

We are no longer "too good" for UMass. We are in a Group of Five conference just like they are.
I think it makes sense to play them (at Gilette) - but we need to ensure that it's never considered a rivalry game. Old fashioned @ss whooping, sure (as long as we're doing the whooping).

Reaction Score

Agree with SOME of what you mentioned.
1) If we are scheduling non-conference games, put UMASS (MAC FBS) on the schedule, instead of VAMPIRE ENERGY SUCKING Buffalo,Western Michigan & freakin Stoneybrook.(2nd week of season after school starts)...... Always at the Rent until they expand McQuirk. Plus: cheaper travel costs.
2)playing BC in all sports, including football, critical for generating new interest, perking up alumni and fan base support at both schools. Football completes the thaw. Would be good for the ACC to see the interest generated. Schedule on Rivalry Weekend in November.

3)Agree...We do have to play NAVY, TEMPLE and CINCY every year.

4)We need schedule Rutgers every year to prolong the bitterness, aids in recruiting the tri-state region. (Not Vampire school but they suck anyway)

5)BTW- ADD ARMY as a regional FBS school every year. Michie Stadium is a good take. Important for NYC alumni and fans in western part of CT and Fairfield County. (Definitely Not a VAMP school)

6) WTF-Which leaves us 6 games with the "South-American"...3 traveling games per year, including florida/Texas ...both recruiting hotbeds.(not vampire schools..)
Don't agree with you on the southern schools (Texas/florida/ New Orleans) sucking the interest out of the program. They are not energy VAMPIRE schools.
Really WTF...What will suck the interest out of the program is negativity and losing.

Reaction Score
UMass didn't have the National powerhouse basketball programs to fall back on. They didn't have anything to excite their fans and show that they can win at any level like UConn had. Connecticut funs jumped in the bandwagon in numbers and sold out the Rent just about every game for the first few years of BCS football... and Big East football was wayyyy better than what the MAC will ever be. Nonetheless, I support UMass and I hope they eventually make it. We need more teams in FBS in the Northeast and UMass is a great addition.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

RU won't generate any buzz but UMass will? They are a terrible, terrible add to this conference. If we want to schedule them, we will schedule them. But there is no reason to lock them into our schedule.

And yes, we are "better" than them. Do you think Narduzzi and Diaco interview for the UMass HC job?

Reaction Score
touché guys.... valid points... I'm looking at this from the outside... like on the outer shell... Haven't dug as deep as you... there's clearly more to it this than what it appears... Still rooting for UMass to make it at the FBS level... would be nice to see 4 FBS level teams in New England area ( us, 'Cuse, BCU, and UMass ).

If you are gonna include Cuse as New England might as well add Army and Buffalo to the list...

Reaction Score
Agree with SOME of what you mentioned.
1) If we are scheduling non-conference games, put UMASS (MAC FBS) on the schedule, instead of VAMPIRE ENERGY SUCKING Buffalo,Western Michigan & freakin Stoneybrook.(2nd week of season after school starts)......

You can at least try and spell my alma mater's name correctly: Its Stony Brook. A top notch AAU state research University trying to find its way in Division I athletics. See you september 6th!

Reaction Score
Do you think Narduzzi and Diaco interview for the UMass HC job?
Maybe not Narduzzi because he seems locked into B1G/MSU, but the current HC @ UMass is the once removed OC @ ND (and is also a Brian Kelly disciple).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom