Boneyard poll question: do you want the UConn-Tenn series continued? | The Boneyard

Boneyard poll question: do you want the UConn-Tenn series continued?

Do you want to see the UConn - Tennessee series played and or continued?

• Yes

Votes: 142 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 48 22.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 23 10.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I've been waiting for someone else to create this poll, no one has, so I did. I'm very interested in the results and any comments you'd like to make. I will read them all.

Post edit - 1/27/2020 8:54 pm pst.
The final votes are in. 67% of the voters want the series to continue. I read every comment, some of which were quite interesting. Now we have a better idea of how some of our posters feel about the series. Thanks to everyone that participated in my poll.

Next year, I’m going to post another poll several days before the game in Knoxville asking the question: “How do you think Geno, Evina and the team will be received by the TN fans at the game?”
Thanks to the MOD that "modified" the title for me. ;)

We've all seen various news articles suggesting how the resumption of the UConn-Tennessee is good for women's college basketball.

Mike Anthony: UConn-Tennessee remains special and should be scheduled every season

That may be the opinion of some fans, the media and interested/casual on-lookers from afar. I know (read) as it has been often documented here by some long time (veteran) UConn fans that were here back in 2007 and before (and part of the NCAA inquiry) that DO NOT want to see this series resumed or continued. Others do. So, the poll question for today is: Do YOU, a staunch UConn WBB fan, a loyal and committed Boneyard member/contributor want to see this series played and continued? Everybody has an opinion. Everyone has a vote. Please share it with us. Cast your vote now! :)

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Ok you asked 2 questions. In the thread title, you asked if it's good for the game. IMHO the answer to that question is "yes". It generated tons of interest, UCONN and Tennessee possess 2 of the most rabid fan bases in the game, and the tremendous dislike the fan bases have for each other, as well as the insane hatred Tennessee fans have towards Geno, make for compelling back stories.

However, do I want the series continued? Absolutely not. UCONN has been at the top for years now. Playing them does zero to help UCONN. As much as I enjoyed beating them and will enjoy pounding them in their own building next year with Evina dropping dimes all over the court against them (hopefully punching something orange in the process), we simply don't need them.

I'd rather play ND, Mississippi State, Baylor, Texas, Oregon, OSU, South Carolina, Stanford, UCLA, Maryland, OSU, NC State, Florida State, the Arizona schools, etc. Even throw in some good mid majors - South Dakota, FGCU, etc.

Last edited:

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Playing against UConn may inspire the Vols to improve. Good to have role models. Tenn did it for UConn at one time; time to return the favor.

An improved Tenn will make for better games & that would be good for women's basketball.

And more UConn-Tenn interaction may help to dispel the Gino-Is-an-Ogre/UConn fans have rabies perception of some of the Tenn posters who don't get to meet actual UConn fans.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Ok you asked 2 questions. In the thread title, you asked if it's good for the game. IMHO the answer to that question is "yes". It generated tons of interest, UCONN and Tennessee possess 2 of the most rabid fan bases in the game, and the tremendous dislike the fan bases have for each other, as well as the insane hatred Tennessee fans have towards Geno, make for compelling back stories.

However, do I want the series continued? Absolutely not. UCONN has been at the top for years now. Playing them does zero to help UCONN. As much as I enjoyed beating them and will enjoy pounding them in their own building next year with Evina dropping dimes all over the court against them (hopefully punching something orange in the process), we simply don't need them.

I'd rather play ND, Mississippi State, Baylor, Texas, Oregon, OSU, South Carolina, Stanford, UCLA, Maryland, OSU, NC State, Florida State, the Arizona schools, etc. Even throw in some good mid majors - South Dakota, FGCU, etc.

Ooops, thanks Eric. I'm not adapt at creating polls. I made a slight correction in my narrative. I would have changed the title, but the BY system won't let you. Once you press "enter", that's it. I'll do better next time....................................if there is a next time. ;)

Last edited:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Agree with Eric, a Lady Vols vs UConn game is good for WBB. However, I'm not sure the Hardcore Lady Vols and UConn fans want to see the series renewed. There's still some bad blood by both fan bases. At this time, I do think resumption of the series would benefit the Lady Vols more then UConn. Many of UConn's OOC Games are already Nationally Televised as they're playing Teams usually ranked in the Top 10. If the Lady Vols get back to being a Top 10 team annually, then its a wash and helps both teams.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I generally find this batch of TN players to be likeable and the new coach is infinitely more likeable than her predecessor. I'm not sure UCONN has much to gain from continuing the series until TN becomes a perennial top 10-15 program. There are just too many other good teams besides TN to start or continue a series. Oregon State, Florida State, Maryland, Stanford, Baylor, Oregon, South Carolina, & Texas, Ohio State, Louisville, ND ( they will be back), NC State....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Playing against UConn may inspire the Vols to improve. Good to have role models. Tenn did it for UConn at one time; time to return the favor.

An improved Tenn will make for better games & that would be good for women's basketball.

And more UConn-Tenn interaction may help to dispel the Gino-Is-an-Ogre/UConn fans have rabies perception of some of the Tenn posters who don't get to meet actual UConn fans.
In other words you want:

Image result for hope for the hopeless

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
No. This game should have never been played. It is a travesty. I am deeply embarrassed and horribly disappointed in UCONN and Geno for letting this happen. Can't believe they would allow evil like that into their house. (luckily it was only the XL ) That place needs to be decontaminated and those black jerseys, burned.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Mmm, I'm not sure it is good for the game at all anymore. It was when UConn/Tenn was the only game anyone cared about, but that's not the case anymore. It is good for:

1) ESPN. They hyped it and got decent viewership
2) Tennessee. They get to remind people of a time when they were the dominant program.

For the rest of WCBB? I'm not so sure. It was good for us, this year, because it gave us a test against tall team. The kids now know that that is something they can deal with. Will it be on a ongoing basis? Probably not more than any other major program.

All that said, I was entertained last night. I look forward to next year. I'm not convinced it should go any further than that but I'm not opposed to it either.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I'm the "not sure" crowd. The game doesn't have the impact as before. Tennessee is no longer one of the top programs. Will they improve? I think so but how much is a big unknown.

Now the purpose of the game is to help fund the Pat Summitt Foundation. That is worthy of playing the game. $10,000.00 check from UConn - excellent. The auctioning off the black jerseys with proceeds going to the fund is also good. I think that's why Geno agree to this 2 game series.

I hope the Tennessee fans were listening when Holly Rowe said the first donation to the foundation was a $5,000.00 check from Geno.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
IF UT improves like I expect them to, then yes. But if they don't become more competitive then I don't want to waste an OOC game on an non-competitive team

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I hope the Tennessee fans were listening when Holly Rowe said the first donation to the foundation was a $5,000.00 check from Geno.
Wasn't it $10K?

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Not sure.
Obviously, Geno wishes things would have unfolded differently. I'm sorry that Geno & Pat experience was what it was. But it was what it was.

However I fail to see ESPN being excited about two top flight teams challenging each other on a journey to get better. ESPN wants fights, nastiness, inappropriate behavior to get vewers to watch to see what might happen. They're drama parasites, more interested in political antics than good basketball.

I'm perfectly comfortable completing the two games and if/when UT becomes a consistent member of the top 10 schedule another here & there.

I'm still enjoying the UConn journey of where they're going over wallowing in the low points of the past. Unlike ESPN. Just Say-N.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Is the game good for Women's basketball going forward? That is unknown. It was good last night because they haven't played in 13 years and UConn is still UConn. Tennessee needs to elevate it's status to a top 10 Program year in-year out for it to be good for WCBB. Oregon, ND, Oregon State, Louisville, SC, MSU and Stanford are still ahead of this game on a WCBB level.

Now as far as UConn only interest, as I noted in the attendance thread, 13,659 showed up last night to watch so for UConn, it was a great showing. Would that interest be sustained every other year, yes probably as we all HATE Tennessee and will go to watch them lose! However, based on what the UT Admin did to Evina, I am fine with whatever Geno and CD want to do as we already get the better and elite teams to play us. Bring in Gonzaga, South Dakato and Florida Gulf Coast and help them as non-P5 schools!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

As usual I agree with Eric.... If it was me making decisions, i would not want to reward bad behavior as Dr Phil says.... They tried to dismantle our program when we extended out recruiting reach down into the South...specifically with Maya....

A lot of accusations and a complaint to NCAA who found us guilty of only a secondary violation.... Maya's ESPN visit.... That same year, Pat was hit with same degree of violation for her illegal recruitment of Meghan Simmons.

But to Knoxville we are terrible and always break the rules.... not only untrue, but they acted on their insecurities....

Anyway, the series continues..... and I think it is for a good cause.... and Pat, though far from lily white in her doings, deserves to be recognized for her contributions to the sport.... not to mention her disease and support for the cause....

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I don't think the game is really relevant in the landscape of women's basketball today. Keep in mind, it has been 13 years since the programs have played which is longer than the rivalry was itself.

Tennessee has had 2 coaching staff changes since then and isnt the same program it once was. Tennessee and Connecticut were peers for so long and almost every season both fan bases went into the game with a strong belief that their team was going to win the game. That's simply not the case anymore as Tennessee hasnt been a top 10 team the past several years and hasn't been a true final four threat in almost a decade.

I also dont think the game means as much anymore to either fan base. Some fans on Tennessee still despise Geno, and a few UCONN fans still loath Tennessee but for the most part, everyone has moved on. If a competitive rivalry emerges, great, but it isnt going to be the same Tennessee/UCONN rivalry that we saw from 95-07. The chance of that rivalry continuing effectively ended once Pat's disease was revealed IMO.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Last night’s game was exciting. I think KJH is a great hire for TN. Unlike her predecessor, in her postgame comments she remained positive and always spoke about what “we” need to do to get better. But the challenge in trying to recreate the magic that once was UConn vs TN is to have two teams at or near the top of WBB.

UConn is there now, and will clearly remain there based on the recruits that have already committed. For TN, it’s not as clear. Their season has been a mirage. They have beaten no significant opponent. In addition, next year’s recruiting class is nothing special. How TN does once they get into the teeth of the SEC schedule, and how well they recruit in 2021 and beyond will determine whether or not the renewal of UConn vs TN is truly something to look forward to or merely another blowout game for the Huskies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
New coach, new players same ole administration, same ole fan hatred of Geno and UConn. The administration, the hatred of Geno and UConn still lingers at Tenn and for those reasons I dont want to see a renewal. It was the people who started the 37 page violation and tried to ruin the coaching staff, players, UConn, Uconn fans etc. It hasnt stopped with the administration either and the evidence is Westbrook and the administration ready to let her play until they found out it was UConn. When they found out Westbrook wanted to play for UConn the nitched it leaving her to sit out a year.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The question posed in the thread title is a bit different than the question posed in the actual poll.

In terms of what's "good for women's basketball," what's good for the sport is to have as many high-profile nonconference games as possible. And unfortunately, an ever-increasing number of coaches don't seem to give a lick about that. So to that extent, sure, this was good for the game.

But it pales in comparison to what the rivalry used to be. Tennessee has slid to middling status since the rivalry was suspended (poetic justice if you ask me, but I digress).

When Old Dominion and Louisiana Tech slid from national contenders to afterthoughts in the 2000s, was it "good for the sport" that Tennessee continued to play them every year? (Eh.) Was it bad for the sport that these two series were finally discontinued? (Not particularly.)

UConn only gets a certain number of nonconference games per season, and IMO those opponents should be selected judiciously. Helping to breathe life into a middling Tennessee program is not how I'd like those cards to be played.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Last night’s game was exciting. I think KJH is a great hire for TN. Unlike her predecessor, in her postgame comments she remained positive and always spoke about what “we” need to do to get better. But the challenge in trying to recreate the magic that once was UConn vs TN is to have two teams at or near the top of WBB.

UConn is there now, and will clearly remain there based on the recruits that have already committed. For TN, it’s not as clear. Their season has been a mirage. They have beaten no significant opponent. In addition, next year’s recruiting class is nothing special. How TN does once they get into the teeth of the SEC schedule, and how well they recruit in 2021 and beyond will determine whether or not the renewal of UConn vs TN is truly something to look forward to or merely another blowout game for the Huskies.

Agree. A huge element of rivalry excitement comes from playing someone at your level. When Tennessee played Connecticut in the 90s and 00s, both teams were almost always close to #1 in the polls. You didn't know who was going to win and having that win on your resume was a BIG deal. I doubt anyone feels like last night's win was that significant of a win for Connecticut. Similarly, with ND I doubt any UCONN fan or player felt nearly as excited about UCONN's win over ND this year compared to the win they had last year in South Bend. One team was a title favorite, the other is likely not playing in the post season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom